Farang guy got beaten up for not paying Tuk Tuk fare

upinthesky

You know, for years I planned on retiring in Thailand, I am presently living in China, but after continuing to read countless reports of violence towards foreigners, I have changed my mind. I would rather live some place that if I have to fight, it's at least one on one, and the general feeling I get from this forum, is that Thais hate foreigners.

I am looking at retiring in Panama instead. Thailand sounds like a dangerous place to live.

And Panama is safe?

I have been all over Panama several times, and there is no place safe, but if a local jumps you, he's most likely to be arrested, or beat to shit by the other locals, that does not seem to be the case in the land of smiles?

The wife says its nothing to do with a tuktuk and nothing to do with football - from what she can hear the foreigner was drunk and was causing trouble at a restaurant - and was kicked out. Not 100% sure as not easy to hear.

Thai bashers don't care it gives them another chance to post there superiority on TV.

They are not a bright lot though as far as I am concerned they are just malcontents who couldent make it where they came from because people were fed up with them.whistling.gif

:blink: uh?

I am surprised at your own words... which seem to fit the profile of lots of posters when it is about bashing Thais in a political context. >_>

I also tried hard to find a farang in the fight and did not see any. In fact it appears now that it was a Bahraini who created problems.

I always kind of enjoy comments of the depressed posters who never miss an occasion to spit their venom on any piece of news as quick as they can.

Bad bad Thais, horrible tuk tuk drivers, terrible roads, corrupt politicians (even on an hospital bed), biased judges (depending on the news), crooked police (who never catch the bad tuk tuk driver who overcharged the nice farang), ... Anything, as long as they can complain. But never miss an occasion to give a lesson on how to behave (with them, at least)

On a more personal note, I have never been overcharged by a Tuk Tuk driver.

Well it's probably because I also never used one, but apart from that I can't recall any other time I have been feeling cheated by Thais.

I guess some can navigate in this society better than others.

I must be among the people happy in Thailand :)

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by gerry1011

I do understand your point, and what you think I am implying, I am a Viet Nam Veteran, so I do understand the nature of violence. This attack by the driver, was just one of many post I have read on this forum, about foreigners being beaten. Who's fault, who cares? Too often, these post show crowds of Thais kicking some foreigners ass. Violence and crime exist everywhere, but from what I have gathered from this forum, is that if I was living in Thailand, and had to defend myself from a drunk, or a thug, which I am very good at, I would most likely have a crowd to contend with very shortly. You are assuming a lot on your comments, so from another expat who has lived in several countries, and now lives in China, I can honestly tell you that I have not seen crowd beatings in other countries towards foreigners, of course I have not lived in Syria or Iran, or any of the other middle east countries where crowd mentality goes on as well. So, tell me honestly, if a foreigner was attacked by a drunk, for no reason, and it happened to be someone like me who could easily win this scenario, how long do you think it would take for other Thai's to jump in, or would they? Which is it?

I do understand your point, and what you think I am implying, I am a Viet Nam Veteran, so I do understand the nature of violence. This attack by the driver, was just one of many post I have read on this forum, about foreigners being beaten. Who's fault, who cares? Too often, these post show crowds of Thais kicking some foreigners ass. Violence and crime exist everywhere, but from what I have gathered from this forum, is that if I was living in Thailand, and had to defend myself from a drunk, or a thug, which I am very good at, I would most likely have a crowd to contend with very shortly. You are assuming a lot on your comments, so from another expat who has lived in several countries, and now lives in China, I can honestly tell you that I have not seen crowd beatings in other countries towards foreigners, of course I have not lived in Syria or Iran, or any of the other middle east countries where crowd mentality goes on as well. So, tell me honestly, if a foreigner was attacked by a drunk, for no reason, and it happened to be someone like me who could easily win this scenario, how long do you think it would take for other Thai's to jump in, or would they? Which is it?

I would say it depends on how formiddable you looked when you took out the original thai. if it took a long time to take him down you would most llikely get hit from behind during the original fight. However if you took the guy out with a few seconds, I am pretty sure no other thai would jump in.

i have a little story for those that think the Thai's Muay thai ability is up to snuff. My thai wife was training in muay thai for over a year. I gave her a ride to one of the muay thai training camps she atended out in the country. She told her trainer that i had studied wing chun before so he got me in the ring and asked me what i would do in a certain situation he was teaching that day. When he came at me I kicked him in the insde of the knee and put him on one knee then gave him a few shots to the back of the head. All the thai students jumped up yelling foul, foul.

Now i haven't practiced wing chun for over 30 years. I am old, fat, and slow. If i can take their teacher down, what chance do these guys that only learn from watching fights on TV have against someone that is trained and bigger than them? Granted this guy did not expect me to do what I did but he should have since he already knew that i was trained in wing chun and asked me what i would do if he did that. I will also like to say this was a demonstration and not a real fight. he most likely would have beat me in a real fight due to my age and lack of physical conditioning.

In your case if you used some of the quick disabling moves that you most likely have learned in the military and did not try to box with them the rest would not want to have anything to do with you.

• Like 1

You know, for years I planned on retiring in Thailand, I am presently living in China, but after continuing to read countless reports of violence towards foreigners, I have changed my mind. I would rather live some place that if I have to fight, it's at least one on one, and the general feeling I get from this forum, is that Thais hate foreigners.

I am looking at retiring in Panama instead. Thailand sounds like a dangerous place to live.

If you do not speak Spanish, you will have the same problems there, or even more than western foreigners in Thailand. Most of them here have problems because cannot communicate well with Thai people or not understand how they deal in business. It is a big Chinese population in Thailand. Ask any Chinese living here about life in Thailand...not a western farang...You will get totally different input...

How is the food. And the chicks?

• 7 years later...