[Myanmar] A Visual Feast at Rangoon’s Lokanat Gallery

News_Editor

Myanmar, Burma, Lokanat Gallery, Rangoon, Yangon, art, “My Visual Space,†Kyee Myint Saw, Win Pe Myint

A visitor to the ‘My Visual Space’ contemporary art show. (Photo: JPaing / The Irrawaddy)

RANGOON — With 42 paintings by more than a dozen Burmese artists, a contemporary exhibition at Lokanat Gallery in Burma’s former capital offers art fans a chance to appreciate a variety of artistic styles all in one place.

“My Visual Space†presents a collection of artworks by established painters like Kyee Myint Saw and Win Pe Myint, as well as less well-known art major graduates from the State Culture University. The show offers a generational mélange: Its oldest featured artist is 70 years old, while the youngest is just 30.

“We present different artists of different styles,†said Ko Sai, the show’s organizer. “Just enjoy them.â€

He is not exaggerating. Visitors to the gallery shouldn’t be surprised to find a traditional landscape painting of the majestic Irrawaddy River’s banks on display next to the semi-abstract brushwork of an artist inspired by the rolling hills of Burma’s border regions. Impressionist landscapes are likely to evoke different feelings for the viewer than the nudes of the famous still-life artist Win Pe Myint.

The scale of the works also varies greatly, with the biggest painting measuring 5-foot-by-6-foot and the smallest just slightly larger than a sheet of printer paper.

Huge palette knife works of famous painters Kyee Myint Saw and Zaw Win Pe draw visitors’ attention with their dramatic contrasts in color and composition.

“They are just my rendition of the places I’ve visited,†explained Zaw Win Pe.

“It’s the final result after blending my feeling toward the scene with how the place really looks,†the artist added, pointing to one of the paintings in which he traded his brush for a knife.

“People can appreciate it as they like. When it comes to art, we have no authority to confine their appreciation,†he said.

‘My Visual Space’ Contemporary Art Show

From Oct. 7-12, 2013

9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Lokanat Gallery, 62 Pansodan Street, Rangoon

The post A Visual Feast at Rangoon’s Lokanat Gallery appeared first on The Irrawaddy Magazine.

Source: Irrawaddy.org