Suzuki Raider R 150?

KanomPang

1 in a 1,000,000 question but does anybody know why you can buy the above in the Philippines but not in Thailand (boo) they look bloody awesome!!!

Going to Suzuki dealer in CM but not showing on their website so pretty sure they aren't selling them here.

post-176935-0-01325700-1381507036_thumb.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the same for the Honda XRM 125 they sell in the Phils....great bike but not seen anywhere here. They are as common as pig shit in the Phils, partially cause they are so reliable and you can fit a family of 5 on no sweat. Good resale too.

I had one and it was quicker than my Honda XR200 and a damn side more comfortable too. Now Im looking to find a street legal, with green book CRF 450..... dreams are free (as they say), but I live in hope

The Raider was Hondas competition when I was in the Phils

I bought one six years ago, and may have purchased one of the last available in Chiang Mai. I wanted a small clutch bike, and it was by far the best value--a 150cc six speed for the same price as the Honda 125cc four speed. It's a good bike, but I'm probably wasting it driving it around Chiang Mai. I think it's geared for hill climbing.

I thought you could get these in Thailand about 10 years ago - but maybe it was a 125.

You could a few years ago and you're right you could get the 150 but for some reason they've stopped making/importing them here??? shame.

Why would anyone buy a Suzuki? There is no resale market on them. There is just no reason to buy one over a Yamaha or a Honda. Buy a Click or a PSX is the bottom line.

As I mentioned above, I made my choice six years ago. I could have had a Honda Sonic, a four speed clutch bike with a 125cc engine for 45000 baht, or a Suzuki Raider, a six speed clutch bike with a 150cc engine for 45000 baht. I chose the Suzuki and haven't regretted it.

Resale wasn't a consideration since I'm the sort who drives my cars, trucks and bikes until they wear out, and since I stay up on maintenance they don't wear out for a long time. Also, absence of a resale market makes a bike much less attractive to thieves.

I don't think you can get a Click or PSX with a manual transmission and clutch, and some people really prefer clutch bikes. I also don't know how much they cost, but I'll wager that if Suzuki does bring back the Raider it will be competitively priced.

For some reason Suzuki stopped selling the Raider in Thailand even though its made here !

Glad to see the Raider return.

More info

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669846-new-suzuki-line-up/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669846-new-suzuki-line-up/?p=6863194

I believe the "New Suzuki Raider" is still aircooled/ oil cooler with a carb

http://www.suzuki.com.my/v3/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=117

If you can wait a few months the Raider 125 is going to be reintroduced very soon.

Awesome news, and I'm sure that will lead to the reintroduction of the 150r, that is the best thing I've heard all day.

I was seriously considering moving to the Philippines just so I could have one biggrin.png

I even looked at buying one and importing it back to Thailand but there is something like 213% tax and duties to pay, so that would seem a little excessive to do something like that...

Cheers for that.

Why would anyone buy a Suzuki? There is no resale market on them. There is just no reason to buy one over a Yamaha or a Honda. Buy a Click or a PSX is the bottom line.

Why would anyone not buy a Suzuki? Why do you need a resale market for a bike I wouldn't be looking to sell it or change it in 12 months? As for purchasing a PSX, confused? you either mean a PCX (with me only weighing 60kg and being a 5'6" big ladies bikes like PCX's are a trifle lardy for me), if you mean the MSX, it is a contender and a cracking little, fun bike but my heart is in street racing, and for that you need something as awesome as a raider, a tuned sonic or a stroker!

For some reason Suzuki stopped selling the Raider in Thailand even though its made here !

Glad to see the Raider return.

More info

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669846-new-suzuki-line-up/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/669846-new-suzuki-line-up/?p=6863194

I believe the "New Suzuki Raider" is still aircooled/ oil cooler with a carb

http://www.suzuki.com.my/v3/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=117

Even better info., thank you so much, I see they're talking about having a limited number so best keep my eyes peeled.

Pinot would never risk buying a Honda due to average/poor build quality (Yamaha have been the leaders here for 5 or 6 years)and even worse service and after sales care. Resale values now , no better than anything else now people have a choice and are buying other (better) bikes. Thank you Johng , rather surprising not injection , or liquid cooled , due to emissions. Yamaha Spark still top of the list then.

Yamaha Spark is a 4 speed 135 cc engine..I've seen even less of them around than the Raider

( ok I'm biased looking out for Raider )

post-2109-0-04714600-1381718879_thumb.jp

There are still Raiders for sale secondhand on baht and sold and dealfish etc and parts are still available...finding a mechanic can be a problem though.

Already have a Yamaha Spark, and they're ok, but I don't know what it is about not having clutch plus they only have 4 gears and obviously are 135cc. The other thing is trying to get after market parts like exhausts, filters etc... in Chiang Mai is impossible, been to all the local haunts with GF and they just say no, would have to order from BKK, and they can't be arsed. 555 Went to 'Home' in Mae Rim to try to get them to make an exhaust, but gave up in the end, after the third request to go back to have it measured up, and then they were too busy.

But did have some luck from another lead on ThaiVisa (might even have been from you?). They definitely are re-releasing the Raider, first of all a limited run of just under 2,000 in a Rizla blue colour and after that a 3 colour line up for 2014. I went to the Suzuki dealer on the Mae Rim road today, but they didn't have a clue what day it was, I showed them all the info. but they just told next year, but they only said that after I'd shown them photo's from the Suzuki range for 2014. So just going to keep my eyes peeled...

post-176935-0-41272000-1381766562_thumb.

post-176935-0-63114200-1381766702_thumb.

Yamaha Spark is a 4 speed 135 cc engine..I've seen even less of them around than the Raider

attachicon.gifRaider 3.jpg

There are still Raiders for sale secondhand on baht and sold and dealfish etc and parts are still available...finding a mechanic can be a problem though.

I use the Suzuki place adjacent to the Honda dealer on Chotana Road a few hundred meters past the superhighway. It's the place on the right as you head north from Chang Phuak, there's another Suzuki place on the left but I don't know about service there. I've never needed any major repairs for my Raider, but I've been happy with the service I have had done there.

Thank you KanomPang for the information.Nice Spark. I fancy a Spark(or similar) just for a run-about,(KTM 450 EXC will be the good bike).Didnt know of any problems regarding parts etc , and servicing will be done by myself.The Suzuki Raider 125 looks good (and might have an advantage having a clutch - less likely to be borrowed by TGF !!!.It may come down to what takes my fancy at the "Buffalo Market" (past Hang-Dong) when i move over there full time in 2015. Until then i have to rent at various places , depending on what models they have available . I can tell you it wont be a Honda - under engineered and over priced ,their after sales "service" ranks as the lowest i have ever come across (and i come from the motor trade) and their resale values are dropping as a result. Best looking bike is the Yamaha Nouvo - but i dont want a full auto rev-n-go.Im back in England for New Year , will be back in CM in March - lets hope its smokeless !.

Posted ImageRaider 3.jpg

I use the Suzuki place adjacent to the Honda dealer on Chotana Road a few hundred meters past the superhighway. It's the place on the right as you head north from Chang Phuak, there's another Suzuki place on the left but I don't know about service there. I've never needed any major repairs for my Raider, but I've been happy with the service I have had done there.
That's the place I went to ask about the Raider on Monday, very friendly, just didn't have any answers. The place on the left that you mentioned (which shows as a Suzuki garage on Google maps) now just sells Hondas, I went there first, and he directed me to the one next to the Honda garage.

^^ "...(and might have an advantage having a clutch - less likely to be borrowed by TGF !...."

Indeed, and according to Honda dealerships any motorcycycle like the Honda Sonic are less likely to be stolen because most potential thieves are bewildered by a clutch.

HA HA Jingjoke - now there are 2 advantages in buying a bike with a clutch. I wondered if the Suzuki Raider might be more desirable to " thieveing scroats " as they are used for drag/street racing. I always lock my full-face helmet to the front wheel with good lock + chain - (coming from England , where one has to lock up everything !!) I can see an oil cooler on the older models , but they have carbs - new ones must be fuel injection , whether oil or liquid cooled.

The Raider 150 looks awesome. I hope they bring it around soon!

The top pic (first pic) is the limited run edition of the Raider, I think from memory there will be 1,960??? built, anyway under 2,000. This will then be followed with a colour line up for 2014 (apparently???), as seen in the second pic...

150cc, carb (not injected), twin cam, , 6 gears & clutch, rocket machine capable of 160km/h!!! (As seen on You Tube videos showing the Philippines version) + absolute wheelie machine!!!

post-176935-0-95952000-1382188732_thumb.post-176935-0-25337300-1382188751_thumb.Can't wait happy.png

• 4 weeks later...

Its the same for the Honda XRM 125 they sell in the Phils....great bike but not seen anywhere here. They are as common as pig shit in the Phils, partially cause they are so reliable and you can fit a family of 5 on no sweat. Good resale too.

I had one and it was quicker than my Honda XR200 and a dam_n side more comfortable too. Now Im looking to find a street legal, with green book CRF 450..... dreams are free (as they say), but I live in hope

The Raider was Hondas competition when I was in the Phils

XRM is the Nice here isn't it, a few 125cc models, mostly 110. But you can bore them up to 150-180cc easily and well past 200cc if you have the $ and time to keep it maintained.

As I mentioned above, I made my choice six years ago. I could have had a Honda Sonic, a four speed clutch bike with a 125cc engine for 45000 baht, or a Suzuki Raider, a six speed clutch bike with a 150cc engine for 45000 baht. I chose the Suzuki and haven't regretted it.

Resale wasn't a consideration since I'm the sort who drives my cars, trucks and bikes until they wear out, and since I stay up on maintenance they don't wear out for a long time. Also, absence of a resale market makes a bike much less attractive to thieves.

I don't think you can get a Click or PSX with a manual transmission and clutch, and some people really prefer clutch bikes. I also don't know how much they cost, but I'll wager that if Suzuki does bring back the Raider it will be competitively priced.

A bit off topic, but I was at the Meechok Plaza used bike market recently and there were many Honda Sonics for sale in the 18 to 35k prive range.

The market is only open on the weekends :)

Archived