Feeling my age

kevvy

60 is the new 40.

How I wish sad.png But in my case that is just not true. w00t.gif

Not sure whether I am having a better time now than in my 40s...I think I am though...smile.png

I was relating to health issue/state of body. I would agree that quality of life is better as I have been living here in Thailand for almost 20 years and the warmer climate helps my arthritic joints. I also have a quality life partner, sole mate, and business partner - my long suffering wife thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 is the new 40.

How I wish sad.png But in my case that is just not true. w00t.gif

Not sure whether I am having a better time now than in my 40s...I think I am though...smile.png

I was relating to health issue/state of body. I would agree that quality of life is better as I have been living here in Thailand for almost 20 years and the warmer climate helps my arthritic joints. I also have a quality life partner, sole mate, and business partner - my long suffering wife thumbsup.gif

I can relate to that.

• Like 1

Or too late.

I backpacked in my early 50s and got a few strange looks from the gap year crowd.

Late 60s will blow them right away.

You wanna bet. I have a good friend who backpacks every year - she is 76.

She is old enough to be my mother but we have often backpacked together.

One of her travelling companions that she picked up was only in his 20's.

He sent her an email saying she was one of the best travelling companions on his whole trip.

Actually through her and another couple of people I have met a huge amount of people over 60 who regularly backpack. More in that age group than my own (who are all home working and paying the bills).

I think that the fair sex get a bit more leeway than a lone older bloke wandering around Asia.

I made plenty of friends in my travels but mainly guys in their 20s, the really young crowd tended to look through me.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek but who knows, if I start traveling that way again I may meet someone whom your friend hasn't already impressed. cool.png

Turned 60 a few months ago and like you ,am dealing with some serious medical issues that showed up earlier in life.

But.....I find my self feeling good and am in pretty good shape these days.

Part of my medical problem prevents me from putting on weight by eating and if I don't eat a lot, I lose weight!

My remedy to this is exercise.

I have made weights to work out with from a bamboo pole and two buckets filled with cement

I work out with the weights a bout 4 times a week.

I actually gain weight by building muscle.

I'm no Charles Atlas, but I'm in good shape and look pretty good for a 60 year old man.

I find that I sleep better too, but not as long. I sleep about 6 hours a night now, at least 8 when I was younger..

Try pushing yourself a bit, it;s not easy to get started, but feels good after a while and actually becomes a little addicting.

I can honestly say I feel and look better at 60 than I did at 40.

Try it.

Choke dee!. .

• Like 1

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Very hard for me me to do any fitness. The MRSA actually ate some of my dics away as well as my right hip and done damage to my left one and left knee. Cannot lift my right arm past my shouler high. Some of my organs were also attacked, heart(30%) and kidneys . Cannot walk for any great distance. But heh life is great and love waking up each day life is good

You have a great attitude. I enjoy reading your posts.[/quote)

Thankyou for kind words. Really looking forward to visit CR at christmas time
As I love to dress up as Santa and give the kids some goodies.There was a girl who posted on here a month ago ,maybe longer who wanted help with a christmas function. I posted her and we are all excited about Santa meeting the kids.I grew up and was taught better to give than reveive.I do believe in Christmas and what it means
  • Like 1

I am 69 now and I know and accept that I cannot do some of the things I could do at 60. Physical things I did at 50 so easily were harder at 60 and virtually impossible at 69.

When I was in my 20s in the military I was fit . On leave I got a job in a fruit and veg firm and with a mate we could load and unload and stack 5 tons of spuds in 50kg sacks in 20 minutes.

Now just moving one 50 kg sack is difficult unless I pick it off the truck bed around the middle and that one buggers me up for a while. Lifting it off the floor is a no-no.

Now I have learned to cook properly and I am slowly writing about my life and doing things that require less physical effort and that I CAN do.

My next plan in life is to see my son through Uni or Tech what ever he chooses and as he is only 9 it is a bit of a longer term plan.

I only speak to him and his friends in English to teach them another language and he translates for me if they don't understand.

I would love to learn Thai but being partly deaf and tone deaf doesn't make life that easy.

OP my advice is to accept whatever you CAN do and look back at the things you could do and get somebody else to do the hard work.

Both my Mum and my Dad died at 69 and my brother was 6 weeks short of his 82nd birthday when he died so I know I have to do better than that.

And I will.

• Like 1

Every time I see an older guy in good shape I admire their spirit.

You don't have to move mountains but you must continue to move.

F@#k aches and pains, we all have them. Don't surrender, don't give in gracefully, every day is a gift, ask anyone who has dodged the bullet.

Good luck to all.

• Like 2

I am 69 now and I know and accept that I cannot do some of the things I could do at 60. Physical things I did at 50 so easily were harder at 60 and virtually impossible at 69.

When I was in my 20s in the military I was fit . On leave I got a job in a fruit and veg firm and with a mate we could load and unload and stack 5 tons of spuds in 50kg sacks in 20 minutes.

Now just moving one 50 kg sack is difficult unless I pick it off the truck bed around the middle and that one buggers me up for a while. Lifting it off the floor is a no-no.

Now I have learned to cook properly and I am slowly writing about my life and doing things that require less physical effort and that I CAN do.

My next plan in life is to see my son through Uni or Tech what ever he chooses and as he is only 9 it is a bit of a longer term plan.

I only speak to him and his friends in English to teach them another language and he translates for me if they don't understand.

I would love to learn Thai but being partly deaf and tone deaf doesn't make life that easy.

OP my advice is to accept whatever you CAN do and look back at the things you could do and get somebody else to do the hard work.

Both my Mum and my Dad died at 69 and my brother was 6 weeks short of his 82nd birthday when he died so I know I have to do better than that.

And I will.

I know you will , I too love to cook and Heston Blumenthal is my favourite chef . If you've ever been through a major life transition, physically and psychologically, all of us will experience it several times during our lives, exchanging one identity for another.Instead of dwelling on hopes and fears about an unknowable future, focus your attention on whatever is happening right now.I know I do this. As I have said I am excited about "my new life"

Every time I see an older guy in good shape I admire their spirit.

You don't have to move mountains but you must continue to move.

F@#k aches and pains, we all have them. Don't surrender, don't give in gracefully, every day is a gift, ask anyone who has dodged the bullet.

Good luck to all.

mmmm maybe you came and visited me when I was in hospital and I told you to go (your avatar) Life is a gift now and I will never forget it. Live it, love it, enjoy it.

• Like 1

And I will.

I know you will , I too love to cook and Heston Blumenthal is my favourite chef . If you've ever been through a major life transition, physically and psychologically, all of us will experience it several times during our lives, exchanging one identity for another.Instead of dwelling on hopes and fears about an unknowable future, focus your attention on whatever is happening right now.I know I do this. As I have said I am excited about "my new life"

Enjoy your life and make the best of what you can with what you have. If you can't do something one way then try a different way.

When we were building the house and fencing the land one guy was carrying the concrete fence posts. He was skinny as a rake and looked as though a strong wind would blow him away. I still see him around but he doesn't do much humping these days. The time I am talking about was 9 years ago when I was 60 and he was over 70 then. Been a farmer and labourer all his life and it was his skill and what he knew.

On the other hand if you gave him a computer he would be lost. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

What i cannot understand is some members write some nasty posts or anything that hurts other members you want to close . why do the ones who want to keep the post open have to suffer. Old age is bad enough and when we like a post that is our enjoyment i get my walking stick now

• Like 1

My next plan in life is to see my son through Uni or Tech what ever  he chooses and as he is only 9 it is a bit of a longer term plan.

And I will.

I know you will , I too love to cook and Heston Blumenthal is my favourite chef .  If you've ever been through a major life transition,  physically and psychologically, all of us will experience it several times during our lives, exchanging one identity for another.Instead of dwelling on hopes and fears about an unknowable future, focus your attention on whatever is happening right now.I know I do this. As I have said I am excited about "my new life"

Enjoy your life and make the best of what you can with what you have. If you can't do something one way then try a different way.

When we were building the house and fencing the land one guy was carrying the concrete fence posts. He was skinny as a rake and looked as though a strong wind would blow him away. I still see him around but he doesn't do much humping these days. The time I am talking about was 9 years ago when I was 60 and he was over 70 then. Been a farmer and labourer all his life and it was his skill and what he knew.

On the other hand if you gave him a computer he would be lost. Horses for courses.

I have seen many older men in AUstralia that cannot do half the stuff that the THai men do at the same age . I would like to find out life expectancy here

I have seen many older men in AUstralia that cannot do half the stuff that the THai men do at the same age . I would like to find out life expectancy here

This graph does not show farang.

Given you live, behave and eat like the average Thai man, this should give an indication.

ThaiLifeExpect.png

[edit] I won't search, instead I ask here tactfully, if there is a statistic about foreigners.
Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

I suspect that life expectancy tables have a lot to do with infant mortality rate.

Poor quality water and limited funds for medication would effect this but once a child has survived the first few years I wonder what their life expectancy would be then?

Farang probably out live most farm laborers, we eat better, maybe not drink less in some cases but drink better, have better access to doctors and hospitals and in many cases our families have a vested interest in keeping us alive. cool.png

• Like 1