Rooney Likes Riquelme.

redrus

ROONEY LIKES RIQUELME

Story by Editor

26 April 2006

He obviously spoke before last night’s “bottled” penalty.

Rooney on facing Riquelme for England against the Argies:

"He was brilliant for Argentina. I remember at half-time everyone was saying that nobody could get anywhere near him. He was fantastic."......... :o

On United:

"Every season I try to score more than the previous one and I certainly hope to continue that next year.

"But I do get as much enjoyment out of creating a goal whether it is in a match or in training. I am not bothered who scores our goals as long as we win the game.

"We went on a good run after we went out of Europe in December and have really gelled as a team. At times earlier in the season it was difficult for the manager to even put a team out because of our injuries but we showed great spirit and determination to come through that.

"Chelsea have been consistently good over the last two years but we have to try to get back above them.

"On Saturday we will be going to Stamford Bridge to win because it will be devastating for us if they are celebrating winning the league after playing us.

"We have played well in the last few months but next season we have to continue that and start better.

"My decision to join United was based on the number of trophies the club had won in the 90s. There was only one place to go. The manager has won a lot of trophies and when I used to see him on TV I saw a man who was passionate about his football and wanted to win.

"He had a great reputation of working with young players and that was important to me. He has brought the best out of me. I think you can see the improvements and I hope that continues."

redrus