Bus Transport Khon Kaen To Chiang Mai

TJM55

I am trying to find information on bus transport and what is available from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai.

Have any of you made this trip by bus before ?

How long of a trip is it ? Is it a scenic drive ? Are there different class tickets available ? What is the cost ?

From what I can tell, there are no flights from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai. The closest flight would be Udon Thani to Chiang Mai.

I don't have a car, so I would need to take a bus from Khon Kaen to Udon Thani if I want to fly.

Nok Air has a flight from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai, but I'm not sure which is the best way to go.

Any positive input would be helpful.

It's a long and windy at times trip, about 12 hours give or take, and I don't know that there is a comfortable VIP day bus available so that you'd be able to enjoy the scenery. If I was 25 years old and had more of a tolerance for discomfort and an increased sense for adventure (and tighter budget) I'd go the bus option. Near to 50 as I am now I'd head to the airport in Udon and fly. One more thing is the bus drivers are notoriously dangerous and as much of the route is mountainous there are many more opportunities to experience acute fear if you're into that kind of thing.

It's a long and windy at times trip, about 12 hours give or take, and I don't know that there is a comfortable VIP day bus available so that you'd be able to enjoy the scenery. If I was 25 years old and had more of a tolerance for discomfort and an increased sense for adventure (and tighter budget) I'd go the bus option. Near to 50 as I am now I'd head to the airport in Udon and fly. One more thing is the bus drivers are notoriously dangerous and as much of the route is mountainous there are many more opportunities to experience acute fear if you're into that kind of thing.

Ningnong,

You make some good points.

The Nok Air flights from Udon are now on Friday & Sunday only, and at a bad time as well.

I may end up doing the Bangkok flight and then on to Chiang Mai.

The only bus company that goes from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai has a departure time from Khon Kaen of 2100 hours.

This would mean that we would be arriving in C.M. at about 0900 hours and wouldn't get to see a thing along the way.

Renting a car may be a good option.

There are at least two bus companies (VIP) that do the KK to CM route.

They run on alternate days (an agreement between the companies, I suppose).

There is at least one scheduled during the afternoon, but mostly overnight trips.

It's 10 1/2 hours with a stop in Phitsanoluk for a snack.

There are also two different routes they take. Check to see which route each one takes. One is a bit longer, I think.

Did this last month. If you sleep well on a bus the overnighter is a deal. Plus, if you're sleeping you won't be so nervous through the mountains. Three different stretches of mountains, by the way.

The overnight trips also has less traffic on the roads.

Not sure I'd be looking forward to the trip in the rainy season.

Terry

There are at least two bus companies (VIP) that do the KK to CM route.

They run on alternate days (an agreement between the companies, I suppose).

There is at least one scheduled during the afternoon, but mostly overnight trips.

It's 10 1/2 hours with a stop in Phitsanoluk for a snack.

There are also two different routes they take. Check to see which route each one takes. One is a bit longer, I think.

Did this last month. If you sleep well on a bus the overnighter is a deal. Plus, if you're sleeping you won't be so nervous through the mountains. Three different stretches of mountains, by the way.

The overnight trips also has less traffic on the roads.

Not sure I'd be looking forward to the trip in the rainy season.

Terry

TerryLH,

Thanks for the hands on information.

I guess I should make sure my life insurance is paid up.

I still haven't decided what to do, but I will need to make a decision soon.

Ningnong,

You make some good points.

The Nok Air flights from Udon are now on Friday & Sunday only, and at a bad time as well.

I may end up doing the Bangkok flight and then on to Chiang Mai.

The only bus company that goes from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai has a departure time from Khon Kaen of 2100 hours.

This would mean that we would be arriving in C.M. at about 0900 hours and wouldn't get to see a thing along the way.

Renting a car may be a good option.

HI TJM55

We had a great trip to CM using the sleeper train from BKK. it leaves at around 21.00hrs and gets to CM at 8.00hrs. Comfortable beds/good food/beer all at a reasonable price. Have a good trip :o