CrossFit

DeanWeen

They have Cross Fit at the gym I attend in Bangkok "Fitness First" at the Paragon. Formally California Wow it uses the same building. When I signed up they said they had plans to open fitness first in Pattaya but didn't give any time scale. It could have been sales patter of course.

This Cross Fit does look really good but its way above my current fitness level.

Edited by Pui

Looking on Crossfit.com there's no Crossfit affiliates in Pattaya. There's 3 in Bangkok, 1 in Chiang Mai and randomly one on Koh Tao.

Yeah, I saw that too. Considering how many big guys I've seen here, there would seem to be demand. Maybe they don't need it.

I am amused by this passing fad to reshape your bodies so that you look like a freak. When I left the UK the current fad was nearly everybody under the age of 35 walking around carrying a bottle of water. Did they all think that they lived in the middle of the Sahara desert? Then there was the gel kick. Everything between medications to shampoos suddenly had magic qualities if it was in gel form. The hard of thinking rushing around copying each other as if they didn't have minds of their own. All so insecure that they wanted to part of the crowd?

Why spend a fortune only to end up looking like this?

Nothing better than sitting in the sun, reading a good book and sipping at my favourite tipple, totally stress free and occasionally looking up to see everybody running around but achieving nothing, rather like the <deleted> road users who drive at breakneck speed only to sit on their backside when arriving at their destination. I am mindful of the young calf suggesting to his father, the wise old bull. that they gallop down to the other end of the field to attend to the needs of some of the heifers and the sage replying that they should walk down and attend to all of them. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare?

No matter how hard you try you won't overcome the ravages of time so why bother? When you come face to face with arthritis and possible hip replacement you might wonder where you went wrong. An hours stroll along the beach every day, enjoying the view of the young lovelies in their skimpy beach wear (not you Irma! Or you Svetlana) is enough exercise for me.

That said, do whatever floats your boat. It's your life so live it your way.

Nothing better than sitting in the sun, reading a good book and sipping at my favourite tipple, totally stress free and occasionally looking up

We real cool. We

Left school. We

Lurk late. We

Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We

Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We

Die soon.

--Gwendolyn Brooks, "We Real Cool"

Looking on Crossfit.com there's no Crossfit affiliates in Pattaya. There's 3 in Bangkok, 1 in Chiang Mai and randomly one on Koh Tao.

Yeah, I saw that too. Considering how many big guys I've seen here, there would seem to be demand. Maybe they don't need it.

Big guys generally aren't into Crossfit as it's not the best way of training for muscle mass.

• Like 1

There used to be cross fit classes offered at Tony's on 3rd Rd and Pattaya Tai. Don't know if it's still done. All of his expat staff seem to disappear after a very short while.

The American guy doing those classes didn't just disappear - he got fired for attacking a female staff member. He was a fool.

I am amused by this passing fad to reshape your bodies so that you look like a freak. When I left the UK the current fad was nearly everybody under the age of 35 walking around carrying a bottle of water. Did they all think that they lived in the middle of the Sahara desert? Then there was the gel kick. Everything between medications to shampoos suddenly had magic qualities if it was in gel form. The hard of thinking rushing around copying each other as if they didn't have minds of their own. All so insecure that they wanted to part of the crowd?

Why spend a fortune only to end up looking like this?

Nothing better than sitting in the sun, reading a good book and sipping at my favourite tipple, totally stress free and occasionally looking up to see everybody running around but achieving nothing, rather like the <deleted> road users who drive at breakneck speed only to sit on their backside when arriving at their destination. I am mindful of the young calf suggesting to his father, the wise old bull. that they gallop down to the other end of the field to attend to the needs of some of the heifers and the sage replying that they should walk down and attend to all of them. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare?

No matter how hard you try you won't overcome the ravages of time so why bother? When you come face to face with arthritis and possible hip replacement you might wonder where you went wrong. An hours stroll along the beach every day, enjoying the view of the young lovelies in their skimpy beach wear (not you Irma! Or you Svetlana) is enough exercise for me.

That said, do whatever floats your boat. It's your life so live it your way.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

For example, crossfit does not make people look like freaks at all. Go and check out the world champions. They look like normal fit people... nothing like bodybuilders.

Regarding your comment about arthritis - the best "remedy" for arthritis is activity. Keep the joints active.

• Like 1

Big guys generally aren't into Crossfit as it's not the best way of training for muscle mass.

All right, maybe I should have said "fit", not "big". But there are plenty of them too.

All right, maybe I should have said "fit", not "big". But there are plenty of them too.

"Big" is meaningless terminology here. You're probably referring to muscular. I don't see many crossfit trainers who I would consider muscular. It's really a strength/power/endurance sport for young people who want to destroy their joints and walk around crippled in their later years. Why do I say this? There's too much bouncing around on the knees to be healthy and overhead snatches are not great for the shoulders in the long run. It's extremely hard on the spine too and I'm sure many proponents end up injured. The competitive nature of the sport makes increases injury risk exponentially. Weights are usually thrown around with little control.

You can carry on bodybuilding to a ripe old age if you're careful, but check out the condition of most retired Olympic weightlifters. Crossfit movements are based on the Olympic lifts. Crossfit trainers are doing Olympic lifts when they're out of breath and don't have much control... not a good idea.

I do agree it is a fad which will eventually fade.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...