Anyone fished Khao Yai near Cha'am?

tomato

I visited this lake last year and had a beer and watched the locals fishing.There seemed to be a match on and big nets of small catfish (walking cat fish?) were the result. Does anyone know if there are Mekhongs in here,

I think I will give it a try as I am fed up of paying big prices for the likes of Greenfields and Jurassic (where it costs you more to use your own tackle!!).Any advice on this venue would be appreciated.

I visited this lake last year and had a beer and watched the locals fishing.There seemed to be a match on and big nets of small catfish (walking cat fish?) were the result. Does anyone know if there are Mekhongs in here,

I think I will give it a try as I am fed up of paying big prices for the likes of Greenfields and Jurassic (where it costs you more to use your own tackle!!).Any advice on this venue would be appreciated.

Out of interest mate what are the drinks prices at this Jurassic park? give these places a wide berth it's all about the money!!

This lake is a long lake and there are 2 of them,back to back.It is just north of Cha'am.

As for Jurassic I didn't have a beer there but it was carp after carp with lots of redtails as well.The thing I don't like about Jurassic is that you have to 'join' to use your own gear,which costs B2000.Crazy.Next time I am in Thailand it will be Cha'am fishing park, Khao Yai and Sakuna. i fished Cha'am last year and really enjoyed it,especially the local technique used for the Mekhongs,small balls of paste chucked in and then a bit of paste on your hook.Brilliant.

Khao Yai is good fishing. there are big mekong in there 50kg + i think, plus the other catfish that has the pointing, shark like fins and fight harder than the mekong. forget the name, sorry

there are also some big kahor in there. it is good fishing, cheap and comfortable.

i dont think it opens until 9am though so dont pitch up too early

Tomato - can you tell me where Sakuna is please? also, how much did a day at Jurassic cost and how may kahor and to what size mate?? how many redtails?

Khao Yai is good fishing.  there are big mekong in there 50kg + i think, plus the other catfish that has the pointing, shark like fins and fight harder than the mekong.  forget the name, sorry

there are also some big kahor in there.  it is good fishing, cheap and comfortable.

i dont think it opens until 9am though so dont pitch up too early

Tomato - can you tell me where Sakuna is please?  also, how much did a day at Jurassic cost and how may kahor and to what size mate?? how many redtails?

You mean the chayo Phraya catfish, predator, the big one I caught didn't fight anywhere near as hard as a Mekong, maybe it had an off day!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sakuna is south of Bangkok at Samut Prakan.I have not been there but it is apparently an alternative to BSR. It is cheap (about 300baht/day) and they mix the lam up for you. Plenty of Mekhongs in there but not constant action like BSR. There is plenty on t'internet about it .It's sometimes spelt Skunar. I am going to give it a try next time in Thailand. There are directions to it on the bangkokhooker website http://bangkokhooker-fishing.com/fishing-ponds/sakuna-where-the-grass-is-always-green/ or on john-tom http://www.john-tom.com/FishingInThailand/FishingInThailand.html#Skunar

As for Jurassic,I paid B4800 and had 15 Caho to about 20kg and about 10 redtails to 10kg in a day. I like the place but I like to use my own gear and they charge you more for using your own kit,so I won't be going again. Khao Yai sounds OK.I think I'll give that a try.

Sakuna is south of Bangkok at Samut Prakan.I have not been there but it is apparently an alternative to BSR. It is cheap (about 300baht/day) and they mix the lam up for you. Plenty of Mekhongs in there but not constant action like BSR. There is plenty on t'internet about it .It's sometimes spelt Skunar. I am going to give it a try next time in Thailand. There are directions to it on the bangkokhooker website http://bangkokhooker-fishing.com/fishing-ponds/sakuna-where-the-grass-is-always-green/ or on john-tom http://www.john-tom.com/FishingInThailand/FishingInThailand.html#Skunar

As for Jurassic,I paid B4800 and had 15 Caho to about 20kg and about 10 redtails to 10kg in a day. I like the place but I like to use my own gear and they charge you more for using your own kit,so I won't be going again. Khao Yai sounds OK.I think I'll give that a try.

thanks Tommy mate - i think i will have to look up that Sakuna soon - it sounds good

sounds like a good day at jurassic, but at 100 GBP / 150 dollars for a days fishing, it is a pricey do

khao yai is good, and having the second lake gives you the option of fishing for small fish on a float if you fancy

one thing tommy mate - i wouldnt mind a drive to jurassic next time i am passing just for a walk round and to see how the other half fish wink.png. do you have a link to any directions pls?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have directions, I was picked up by a taxi but it is just north of Cha'am,between the highway and the sea. here is the link http://www.jurassicfishingthailand.com/

As for Khao Yai,do the usual Mekhong tactics work? Big balls of lam on a float feeder?

I think those methods will work anywhere, this place is good as the cost for fishing is low, there are a few places around Cha am that won't cost a lot and it's fun!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are some venues where lam has never been used and the fish will be hard to catch on it. Whatever is the local venue bait used and whatever is fed to them in the mornings will have the greatest effectiveness.

With the morning feed, fish are used to having to fight to get it. Smelling it sets off a conditioned response like pavlovs dogs and the ringing bell.

I watched 'Monster fish - 600lb goldfish' which is about Siamese carp, Zeb Hogan, Natgeo, There is video of a Thai man, Khun Rawan, I think it was, hand feeding 2 carp with noodles.

The carp were so big it is actually scary! I can't see video or picture at the moment (first aired july 2013) but it is quite a sight! You must see it.