Buying A New Motorbike In Chiang Mai

cm das

I'm looking to upgrade slightly from my Sonic 125 to a CBR 150 & I have a couple of questions for you Chiang Mai sages.

1. There are lots of Honda dealers in town. Can anyone share any especially good or bad experiences they might have had with a particular dealer in Chiang Mai?

2. I have a tourist visa now. Is it possible to legally purchase & register a bike on a tourist visa in Chiang Mai? I read somewhere that this might be doable, even though you're supposed to have a non-imm visa. Would it matter if my Sonic (which I could trade in) is legally registered in my name (from the days of my old non-immigrant b visa)?

Thanks for any help.

There are lots of Honda dealers around Chiang Mai. I recently purchased a used 125 dream less than 2 years old from Honda dealer on Huay Kaew road between Super highway and Canal Road. Had very good experience, the few little promblems with the bike they fixed while I waited under warranty. I highly recomend them, not sure of name, I think it is National Motors.

A thirty day tourist visa is no problem. You must have proof of your residence. I recieved sample of documents needed from immigration, took this to my Condo manager (hillside 4) and they typed a letter on letterhead (they insisted I return the samples, not something they regularly hand out). I took this back to Chiang Mai immigration (by the airport) with completed application, 2 pics, copy of passport pages (you can get copies and pics at store in back of immigration, very easy). and 15 minutes later they gave me residency form. I gave this to my dealer and they handled the rest. if you are very polite and paitent immigration is very friendly and helpful. I understand they are supposed to charge you but they did not charge me and I even speciffically asked.

Good Luck

Thanks FWT. I got my necessary documents today. For anyone else interested, here's exactly what I needed.

1. Copy of my passport - picture page & most recent visa/departure card

2. 2 passport photos

3. A copy of my apartment lease agreement

4. A copy of the apartment manager's ID card, signed by him

5. Completed application for certificate of residence

It was very easy & took only about 10 min. once I had everything together. So tomorrow I'm going to get my new bike!