Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Lite Beer

Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Claire Connell

post-36914-0-11459300-1381938731_thumb.p

PHUKET: A large fire has broken out at the SuperCheap store on Thepkrasstri Rd in Phuket Town this evening

View the video here.

The building was well involved at around 10pm. Sirens can be heard around the island as firetrucks go to the scene.

Early reports say around 1,000 staff were inside SuperCheap at the time of the fire. There are around 20 firetrucks at the scene now. Vachira Hospital staff are there for first aid, but no details are available about any injuries or deaths.

One report said the damage was estimated to be around B900 million.

Nuengruethai Buddawong was at SuperCheap around 10.30pm this evening, after she drove there from Khao Rang Hill to see what the fire was.

"I can hear the sirens and the bomb sounds. The traffic police have blocked the main road and the alleyway to get through to SuperCheap. Now I'm at the electric company office close by. On the main road there are a lot people."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/large-fire-at-phuket-supercheap-42397.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-16

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how far the fire could get if it hits the gas station? My house is 500m away behind it so no concrete road to stop it.

i was worried about that too..I would advise evacuation if you are still there, even if just to avoid exposure to toxins..the whole middle of that place was cramped up with highly toxic car car chemicals and they even had a fireworks section with no extinguisher

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

I really hope that is not true

Never been in super cheap , but do they have clearly marked fire exits ? Also why was it a fire waiting to happen as many have posted ?

Google translate from RKU News facebook.

More Phuket at this time to control the placement of fire . Light Brigade had not yet gone . But still can not get inside the arena . Because the Light Brigade . Some news sources report that the body found at the scene confirmed that 11 bodies from the scene . The rescue team charity fair question. That no one can go inside if you would like to confirm that as soon as the scene did not report on deaths here .

I tried my best to translate ...

i am talking with my dads friend. He was at supercheap at the time the fire was starting he was one of the first people who saw the the flames starting at tried to leave quietly just as people were starting to shout FIRE and everyone started fighting to get out. The fire started to come from the area they sell bags and foam boxes. when the staff started to realise that there was a fire the they started to close the shutters because they were worried that customers would leave stealing goods, this caused lots of people to be trapped inside. My dads friend said that he thinks because of this lots of people have died inside. This story im telling you is true! right now he is still very nervous (in shock) The most important thing is that there was no fire alarm sounds to warn people and the staff tried to close the doors to stop people going out. thank you for reading

• Like 1

I tried my best to translate ...

i am talking with my dads friend. He was at supercheap at the time the fire was starting he was one of the first people who saw the the flames starting at tried to leave quietly just as people were starting to shout FIRE and everyone started fighting to get out. The fire started to come from the area they sell bags and foam boxes. when the staff started to realise that there was a fire the they started to close the shutters because they were worried that customers would leave stealing goods, this caused lots of people to be trapped inside. My dads friend said that he thinks because of this lots of people have died inside. This story im telling you is true! right now he is still very nervous (in shock) The most important thing is that there was no fire alarm sounds to warn people and the staff tried to close the doors to stop people going out. thank you for reading

I hope this is not true but the cynic in me suggests it is. If so it could be the cause of many needless deaths & injuries. Like others I have often thought Supercheap a disaster waiting to happen in the event of fire. I did not go there very often but never noticed any fire exits just the main entrance at the front & I think an open area on one side where they had the bulk goods. If the fire spread quickly anyone in the middle of the store would have had a hard time getting out.

Theres large doors in the back next to the desks/couch/beds.

Quite sad that 8000b a month cashier would kill people for stolen goods when all the goods are gone when a fire happens. I wouldnt even feel bad if an evil tuktuk driver managed to salvage free expensive electronics from a store going on fire.

• Like 1

BREAKING NEWS: Main SuperCheap in Phuket Town demolished in blaze
Phuket Gazette

sc2.jpg
Firefighters continue to battle the flames. Photo: Isaac Stone Simonelli

PHUKET: -- The main SuperCheap in Phuket burst into flames tonight, turning into an unstable inferno and sending a cloud of black smoke over a kilometer into the air.

Every fire truck in Phuket was called to the scene on as well as trucks from nearby provinces. Fire fighters have yet to control the flames but are focusing on containing the fire and preventing the flames from igniting neighboring signs and trees.

The store on Thepkrasattri Road was still open when the fire broke out at about 9pm, and bystanders reported hearing cries of help from inside the building. It is not known how many people were in the building at the time.

At about 11:15pm a victim was rushed to Vachira Hospital, a man about 40-years old.

One early report said that a short circuit started the fire, which spread to the firecracker section of the store. Another report said the short circuit had ignited gas tanks.

Witnesses heard explosions, a rescue worker with the Kusoldharm foundation told the Phuket Gazette. Occasional explosions continued to rock the facility hours after the blaze started.

Early estimates are that damages will reach at least 100million baht.

When a Gazette reporter left the scene after midnight, he reported seeing Phuket Vice Governor Sommai Prijasilpa, Phuket City Police Chief Sermpan Sirikong and mayors from every municipality on site.

The massive, sprawling store was a Phuket institution, selling everything from ready-made food and groceries to plants to plastic products, goldfish, prescription drugs, cement mixers and car accessories.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/BREAKING-NEWS-Main-SuperCheap-in-Phuket-Town-demolished-in-blaze-22516.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-17