BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Lite Beer

Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Claire Connell

post-36914-0-11459300-1381938731_thumb.p

PHUKET: A large fire has broken out at the SuperCheap store on Thepkrasstri Rd in Phuket Town this evening

View the video here.

The building was well involved at around 10pm. Sirens can be heard around the island as firetrucks go to the scene.

Early reports say around 1,000 staff were inside SuperCheap at the time of the fire. There are around 20 firetrucks at the scene now. Vachira Hospital staff are there for first aid, but no details are available about any injuries or deaths.

One report said the damage was estimated to be around B900 million.

Nuengruethai Buddawong was at SuperCheap around 10.30pm this evening, after she drove there from Khao Rang Hill to see what the fire was.

"I can hear the sirens and the bomb sounds. The traffic police have blocked the main road and the alleyway to get through to SuperCheap. Now I'm at the electric company office close by. On the main road there are a lot people."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/large-fire-at-phuket-supercheap-42397.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-16

Anyone know how far the fire could get if it hits the gas station? My house is 500m away behind it so no concrete road to stop it.

Edited by bearpolar

Anyone know how far the fire could get if it hits the gas station? My house is 500m away behind it so no concrete road to stop it.

i was worried about that too..I would advise evacuation if you are still there, even if just to avoid exposure to toxins..the whole middle of that place was cramped up with highly toxic car car chemicals and they even had a fireworks section with no extinguisher

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

I really hope that is not true

Never been in super cheap , but do they have clearly marked fire exits ? Also why was it a fire waiting to happen as many have posted ?

The view from Samkong area. This is massive!

post-112581-0-26615400-1381948422_thumb.

Edited by fstarbkk
  • Like 1