Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Lite Beer

What a disaster! What a shame ! This supermarket fire is testament to why fire and safety building standards should be enforced on all public buildings. It was an incident waiting to happen. Super cheap took a risk against all known basic building and safety standards to sell cheap and this is the result. Myself and wife were only shopping there two hours before this incident and it makes me think how we would we have got out, if it happened, while we were there. It will probably take some time to know if anyone actually perished in the fire, if at all. let alone know their identity. However, when it is all said and done, this incident is no different to the Tiger Disco Patong or Santika Club Bangkok fire's, and I hope in the end they prosecute the owners of Super Cheap to the full extent of the law. My sincere thoughts are with the staff and victims of this tragic fire.

Edited by MK1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm curious, reports are saying 1,000 employees were believed to be inside when the fire started. I realize this was a large place, and labor is cheap in Thailand, but 1,000 people seems a bit high doesn't it?

I found this quite hard to believe as well - I shop there on occasion when in the area, and I can't imagine more than 100 employees in the store at any one time.

Might just be a reporting error.

I'm curious, reports are saying 1,000 employees were believed to be inside when the fire started. I realize this was a large place, and labor is cheap in Thailand, but 1,000 people seems a bit high doesn't it?

I saw that one, but really it means 1,000 people are employed by the company,

but not all would be on the same shift. Still 300-500 on evening shift is easily believable.

And as someone elose said, now there are 1,000 more unemployed in Phuket and crime will likely go up.

I saw that one, but really it means 1,000 people are employed by the company,

but not all would be on the same shift. Still 300-500 on evening shift is easily believable.

And as someone elose said, now there are 1,000 more unemployed in Phuket and crime will likely go up.

Another news source which can't be named under rule #31 claims 3000 people are/were employed there. I can easily see 500-1000 that time of day.

No confirmed injuries, deaths so far following Phuket SuperCheap blaze

1381977630_1.jpg
The remains of SuperCheap this morning. Photo: Ekaphan Chantraphong

PHUKET: -- There are still no confirmed reports of people injured or dead following a large fire at the Phuket Town SuperCheap warehouse store on Thepkrassatri Road around 9.40pm last night (October 16).

A press conference at the scene of the fire is currently being held by Phuket Governor Maitree Intusut.

The fire started last night and quickly developed into a huge inferno, sending smoke and flames high up in the sky and visible from across the island. There were reports of people fleeing the building but it is not known if any were trapped inside.

Officials have not received any confirmed reports about injured or dead. No victims had been treated so far at the Mission Hospital or Vachira Hospital Phuket.

The fire burned out of control for many hours, engulfing the nearby Thanksina wood factory and completely destroying the SuperCheap building. It was brought under control by firefighters in the early hours of this morning.

A Phuket Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation official told The Phuket News on Thursday morning, “I have not received any reports about any injured or dead people. The fire is under control now. We have 15 officials from the department standing by at the scene to help.”

Phuket Vice-Governor Jamroen Thipphayapongtada said, “Right now there are still flames, and we have to wait until they are completely stopped. Then we can investigate the whole area.”

He said there were no reports of any dead or injured people so far. “But we have to wait for the flames to stop.”

Pol Col Sian Keawthong, a Phuket special investigator with the Phuket Police, said the fire was under control now.

“The explosion sound is continuing because there is so much heat inside and a lot of the building is broken, and it is creating pressure. Firemen are still working on the fire.

“At the moment there are 60 policemen and 200 volunteers from various organisations, including the municipalities and Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization. Now we are trying to think about ways to get in and inspect the area.”

He said the fire might have started at the back of the SuperCheap building.

Paiboon Upatising, president of the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization told The Phuket News, “When I first heard about the fire, I sent two emergency cars from the OrBorJor, two firetrucks and three small trucks from Chalong with spotlights attached to support the other officials. More than 10 officials from the OrBorJor are standing by at the scene now.

“We cannot summarise the number of injured or dead people yet. I must wait until I get confirmation from the Phuket Provincial authorities.”

“I will speak to Governor Maitree [intusut] and the Vice Governors today to find out what the next step is.”

Police cordoned off the area last night and evacuated those living nearby due to the risk of a possible explosion following concerns about the close proximity of an Esso petrol station.

Once news broke of the blaze, Phuket Vice-Governors Jamroen Thipphayapongtada and Sommai Prijasilpa went to the scene along with mayors from many districts on the island. Gov Maitree was in Bangkok at the time, but has now returned.

The iconic warehouse-like shop, situated on 30 rai of land, is well-known in Phuket for being the store where you can buy almost anything.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-confirmed-injuries-deaths-so-far-following-phuket-supercheap-blaze-42400.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-17

Absolutely stunned to read that apparently the staff's first reaction was to lock people in to prevent theft.

And further dismayed to read the reports that seem to focus on loss in Baht terms, due to damages, rather than loss of life.

This place is truly sad.

• Like 1

The design of that building, i.e. no more than a large warehouse to all intents and purposes, would accelerate the flames.

The place is full of flammables and, as has now been proven, a fire starting in there becomes out of control pretty quickly.

There probably aren't enough fire trucks on the whole of Phuket to get a blaze like this under control, hence the total loss for insurance purposes, though, as an ex-property underwriter, I would say any underwriter who took on this risk needs his/her head examining.

I hope that there are no casualties and I also hope that the circumstances are fully investigated, though like a few other posters already, I doubt whether accurate information will ever be forthcoming.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

Seems Phuket is very ill equiped to handle any fire. Slow response times, lack of fire hydrants, poorly maintained equipment, lack of training etc.

Not just Phuket, Thailand in general. Also third world countries throughout the world.

One major difference between developed and developing countries is the quality of emergency equipment, and that includes ambulance facilities as well.

They are decades behind the West.

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

I tried my best to translate ...

i am talking with my dads friend. He was at supercheap at the time the fire was starting he was one of the first people who saw the the flames starting at tried to leave quietly just as people were starting to shout FIRE and everyone started fighting to get out. The fire started to come from the area they sell bags and foam boxes. when the staff started to realise that there was a fire the they started to close the shutters because they were worried that customers would leave stealing goods, this caused lots of people to be trapped inside. My dads friend said that he thinks because of this lots of people have died inside. This story im telling you is true! right now he is still very nervous (in shock) The most important thing is that there was no fire alarm sounds to warn people and the staff tried to close the doors to stop people going out. thank you for reading

I hope this is not true but the cynic in me suggests it is. If so it could be the cause of many needless deaths & injuries. Like others I have often thought Supercheap a disaster waiting to happen in the event of fire. I did not go there very often but never noticed any fire exits just the main entrance at the front & I think an open area on one side where they had the bulk goods. If the fire spread quickly anyone in the middle of the store would have had a hard time getting out.

someone else posted a reply on facebook to this saying that the main doors were already shut as they were preparing to close

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

I tried my best to translate ...

i am talking with my dads friend. He was at supercheap at the time the fire was starting he was one of the first people who saw the the flames starting at tried to leave quietly just as people were starting to shout FIRE and everyone started fighting to get out. The fire started to come from the area they sell bags and foam boxes. when the staff started to realise that there was a fire the they started to close the shutters because they were worried that customers would leave stealing goods, this caused lots of people to be trapped inside. My dads friend said that he thinks because of this lots of people have died inside. This story im telling you is true! right now he is still very nervous (in shock) The most important thing is that there was no fire alarm sounds to warn people and the staff tried to close the doors to stop people going out. thank you for reading

I hope this is not true. If it is, we are talking about a mass murder.

Also, your dad's friend should be careful who he talks to. If his version of events got out, they may try to silence him.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Seems Phuket is very ill equiped to handle any fire. Slow response times, lack of fire hydrants, poorly maintained equipment, lack of training etc.

Not just Phuket, Thailand in general. Also third world countries throughout the world.

One major difference between developed and developing countries is the quality of emergency equipment, and that includes ambulance facilities as well.

They are not decades behind, as they have potential access to exactly the same equipment as everybody else in the world. The problem is will ("it will never happen to me") and money, both in terms of income (taxes) and financial drain (corruption).

At the very least, let's hope that horrible incidents like this and the Tiger fire will change the way things work.

Edited by Zumteufel
  • Like 1

Phuket mega mall blaze contained
By English News

13819786106062.jpg

PHUKET, Oct 17 -- Firefighters contained a Phuket hypermarket blaze this morning using a Thai navy helicopter to spray foam in areas of the sprawling complex which fire emergency equipment could not reach.

After 11 hours, firefighters controlled the blaze that raged through the SuperCheap department store in the southern resort of Phuket since 9.30pm last night, sending flames hundreds of metres into the air.

No casualties were immediately reported, and the cause of the incident was not known.

Emergency workers controlled the perimetre of the 35 rai (14 acres) department store but flames were still burning inside warehouses which could not be reached by the firefighters.

Fire engines hosed water from outside the building complex.

A Royal Thai Navy helicopter to spray foam to contain the fire inside the building, as the Phuket governor vowed to completely extinguish the fire by midday.

The department store employs as many as 700-1,000 staff and the authorities are checking to see whether any died or were injured in the fire. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-17

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of a large Insurance pay out--or am I being too zealous??

Incidentally--used to use the place many, many years ago when living in Phuket--and, it certainly had it's uses--Super Cheap, it sure was.

Edited by haybilly

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of a large Insurance pay out--or am I being too zealous??

Incidentally--used to use the place many, many years ago when living in Phuket--and, it certainly had it's uses--Super Cheap, it sure was.

Maybe because people are more concerned with the lives of others?

But no, I don't think it has anything to do with an insurance pay out, although I do think they would have liked the opportunity to rebuild. For insurance purposes at least the fire would have happened at night.

• Like 2

Maybe because people are more concerned with the lives of others?

But no, I don't think it has anything to do with an insurance pay out, although I do think they would have liked the opportunity to rebuild. For insurance purposes at least the fire would have happened at night.

Furthermore this fire likely has big impact on the 25 smaller SuperCheap stores around the island. If I understood correctly, it was the logistics center for the smaller stores.

Many of the small mom&pop stores usedto buy their goods from the SC stores.

They are not decades behind, as they have potential access to exactly the same equipment as everybody else in the world. The problem is will ("it will never happen to me") and money, both in terms of income (taxes) and financial drain (corruption).

At the very least, let's hope that horrible incidents like this and the Tiger fire will change the way things work.

I agree. Phuket is not a small village up in Issan. Phuket is a very wealthy province in Thailand, yet, they refuse to upgrade all forms of infastructure here.

• Like 1

I saw the video that was shot from the air, that was a massive fire, seemed at least one square km block.

If there are no casualties, that would be a miracle!

I've never been there, but we all know there a lot of big markets and shops that are just unsafe.

But let's face it, the owners choose to not make it absolutely safe to save money.

If they would build places like that in compliance with all building and fire safety codes and regulations

as in the West, goods and services would just be more expensive.

That is why things are expensive in the West. Here they don't do it and that is why things

are cheap, or at least relatively cheaper.

I hope nobody died or was injured there, but it seems hardly likely.

Will also be interesting to see how that story develops of that eye witness account of staff closing shutters to prevent

customers from leaving with goods. If I were a staff in such a situation, I would not even consider doing that.

Edited by arminbkk
  • Like 2