BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Lite Beer

Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

The design of that building, i.e. no more than a large warehouse to all intents and purposes, would accelerate the flames.

The place is full of flammables and, as has now been proven, a fire starting in there becomes out of control pretty quickly.

There probably aren't enough fire trucks on the whole of Phuket to get a blaze like this under control, hence the total loss for insurance purposes, though, as an ex-property underwriter, I would say any underwriter who took on this risk needs his/her head examining.

I hope that there are no casualties and I also hope that the circumstances are fully investigated, though like a few other posters already, I doubt whether accurate information will ever be forthcoming.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

Seems Phuket is very ill equiped to handle any fire. Slow response times, lack of fire hydrants, poorly maintained equipment, lack of training etc.

Not just Phuket, Thailand in general. Also third world countries throughout the world.

One major difference between developed and developing countries is the quality of emergency equipment, and that includes ambulance facilities as well.

They are decades behind the West.

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

I tried my best to translate ...

i am talking with my dads friend. He was at supercheap at the time the fire was starting he was one of the first people who saw the the flames starting at tried to leave quietly just as people were starting to shout FIRE and everyone started fighting to get out. The fire started to come from the area they sell bags and foam boxes. when the staff started to realise that there was a fire the they started to close the shutters because they were worried that customers would leave stealing goods, this caused lots of people to be trapped inside. My dads friend said that he thinks because of this lots of people have died inside. This story im telling you is true! right now he is still very nervous (in shock) The most important thing is that there was no fire alarm sounds to warn people and the staff tried to close the doors to stop people going out. thank you for reading

I hope this is not true but the cynic in me suggests it is. If so it could be the cause of many needless deaths & injuries. Like others I have often thought Supercheap a disaster waiting to happen in the event of fire. I did not go there very often but never noticed any fire exits just the main entrance at the front & I think an open area on one side where they had the bulk goods. If the fire spread quickly anyone in the middle of the store would have had a hard time getting out.

someone else posted a reply on facebook to this saying that the main doors were already shut as they were preparing to close

It was on BBC News a short while ago and they said NO casualties.

Let's hope that's true.

one of my friends on facebook are there and said they have just started to go in and there are a lot of deaths :(

Just been told about a post in Thai on Facebook claiming staff closed the shutters to Supercheap to stop people leaving with goods when the fire started... I really hope it is just a rumour. Perhaps someone can translate - https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1379413_4977762622173_863651496_n.jpg

I tried my best to translate ...

i am talking with my dads friend. He was at supercheap at the time the fire was starting he was one of the first people who saw the the flames starting at tried to leave quietly just as people were starting to shout FIRE and everyone started fighting to get out. The fire started to come from the area they sell bags and foam boxes. when the staff started to realise that there was a fire the they started to close the shutters because they were worried that customers would leave stealing goods, this caused lots of people to be trapped inside. My dads friend said that he thinks because of this lots of people have died inside. This story im telling you is true! right now he is still very nervous (in shock) The most important thing is that there was no fire alarm sounds to warn people and the staff tried to close the doors to stop people going out. thank you for reading

I hope this is not true. If it is, we are talking about a mass murder.

Also, your dad's friend should be careful who he talks to. If his version of events got out, they may try to silence him.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Seems Phuket is very ill equiped to handle any fire. Slow response times, lack of fire hydrants, poorly maintained equipment, lack of training etc.

Not just Phuket, Thailand in general. Also third world countries throughout the world.

One major difference between developed and developing countries is the quality of emergency equipment, and that includes ambulance facilities as well.

They are not decades behind, as they have potential access to exactly the same equipment as everybody else in the world. The problem is will ("it will never happen to me") and money, both in terms of income (taxes) and financial drain (corruption).

At the very least, let's hope that horrible incidents like this and the Tiger fire will change the way things work.

Edited by Zumteufel
  • Like 1

Phuket mega mall blaze contained
By English News

13819786106062.jpg

PHUKET, Oct 17 -- Firefighters contained a Phuket hypermarket blaze this morning using a Thai navy helicopter to spray foam in areas of the sprawling complex which fire emergency equipment could not reach.

After 11 hours, firefighters controlled the blaze that raged through the SuperCheap department store in the southern resort of Phuket since 9.30pm last night, sending flames hundreds of metres into the air.

No casualties were immediately reported, and the cause of the incident was not known.

Emergency workers controlled the perimetre of the 35 rai (14 acres) department store but flames were still burning inside warehouses which could not be reached by the firefighters.

Fire engines hosed water from outside the building complex.

A Royal Thai Navy helicopter to spray foam to contain the fire inside the building, as the Phuket governor vowed to completely extinguish the fire by midday.

The department store employs as many as 700-1,000 staff and the authorities are checking to see whether any died or were injured in the fire. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-17

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of a large Insurance pay out--or am I being too zealous??

Incidentally--used to use the place many, many years ago when living in Phuket--and, it certainly had it's uses--Super Cheap, it sure was.

Edited by haybilly

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of a large Insurance pay out--or am I being too zealous??

Incidentally--used to use the place many, many years ago when living in Phuket--and, it certainly had it's uses--Super Cheap, it sure was.

Maybe because people are more concerned with the lives of others?

But no, I don't think it has anything to do with an insurance pay out, although I do think they would have liked the opportunity to rebuild. For insurance purposes at least the fire would have happened at night.

• Like 2

Phuket mega mall blaze contained

Interesting description of Supercheap's main store being called a "mega mall"

Maybe because people are more concerned with the lives of others?

But no, I don't think it has anything to do with an insurance pay out, although I do think they would have liked the opportunity to rebuild. For insurance purposes at least the fire would have happened at night.

Furthermore this fire likely has big impact on the 25 smaller SuperCheap stores around the island. If I understood correctly, it was the logistics center for the smaller stores.

Many of the small mom&pop stores usedto buy their goods from the SC stores.

They are not decades behind, as they have potential access to exactly the same equipment as everybody else in the world. The problem is will ("it will never happen to me") and money, both in terms of income (taxes) and financial drain (corruption).

At the very least, let's hope that horrible incidents like this and the Tiger fire will change the way things work.

I agree. Phuket is not a small village up in Issan. Phuket is a very wealthy province in Thailand, yet, they refuse to upgrade all forms of infastructure here.

• Like 1

I saw the video that was shot from the air, that was a massive fire, seemed at least one square km block.

If there are no casualties, that would be a miracle!

I've never been there, but we all know there a lot of big markets and shops that are just unsafe.

But let's face it, the owners choose to not make it absolutely safe to save money.

If they would build places like that in compliance with all building and fire safety codes and regulations

as in the West, goods and services would just be more expensive.

That is why things are expensive in the West. Here they don't do it and that is why things

are cheap, or at least relatively cheaper.

I hope nobody died or was injured there, but it seems hardly likely.

Will also be interesting to see how that story develops of that eye witness account of staff closing shutters to prevent

customers from leaving with goods. If I were a staff in such a situation, I would not even consider doing that.

Edited by arminbkk
  • Like 2