Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Lite Beer

NO one who has ever shopped there can be surprised, the old timber and Thai stye wiring , it was inevitable. Probably a cigarette or something equally minor.

I shall miss the 270 baht bottle of Paul Bernard sparkling wine I used for my fizzy wine spritzers. And the restaurant has , er had the best fresh spring rolls.

I took a cat out of there a couple of months ago , felt a little foolish when it turned out she'd already been fixed, but she was so affectionate I kept her, guiltily, glad I did now. ( Calico if anyone is concerned, her name is SuperCheap)

Oh those poor fish, boiled alive in their horrid little bottle worlds.

I hope the reports of virtually no casualties is correct, but very hard to believe.

This incident really has me finally deciding Thailand is just no place to live - it's just too unsafe in every way, to consider retirement in.

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket governor to find relief measures for fire-impacted SuperCheap workers

By English News

BANGKOK, Oct 17 - Interior Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan today instructed concerned agencies to help than 3,000 workers of fire-leveled SuperCheap hypermarket in this southern resort island.

The minister said the situation was under control this morning and that an investigation is underway to find cause of the fire.

The blaze began about 9.30pm last night at the SuperCheap department store on Thepkasattri Road in the Phuket provincial seat.

Mr Jarupong instructed the Phuket governor to convene a meeting of concerned agencies to speed relief measures for the affected. Help centres were set up -- one directed by the National Police Bureau while another as a cooperation of the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

Initial inspection found that 2,736 SuperCheap employees and some 700 Myanmar migrant workers have been affected, according to the minister.

Mr Jarupong said the Department of Employment is prepared to support temporary employment with about 1,600 available job positions.

The minister added that the SuperCheap owner will be asked to join the governor's meeting to help lay out emergency relief measures for the company's workers and other affected persons within today.

Phuket governor Maitree Intusutr said it took about 15 hours to extinguish the fire and he reaffirmed that, as of Thursday, no one was killed or injured in the incident.

He said concerned officials are waiting for permission from police to enter the compound to probe the cause of the fire and search for any casualties. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-10-17

Focusing on the Social Security aspect, with that many employees including migrant workers that means SuperCheap have been paying approximately 1,374’400 baht in social security payments per month to the relevant department of social security & labour. Assuming if correct that they had 3436 employees (inclusive migrants) x 400bht per month in monthly payments.

Therefore, as a result of this incident Social Security are looking down the barrel of having to payout each worker approximately 4500bht per month or a total of 15million in social security payments per month until they find new work for them.

It’s not a wonder everyone is silent to date on the death and injury status of these workers (let alone those who were shopping there) as this Social Security entitlement also includes Health Care card too. So we can only hope SuperCheap have been keeping up to date with these payments, as does every other business has to, for the benefit of these workers in the future.

• Like 1

what im wondering is why no one has picked up on the fact that supercheap had recently bought land behind its store to destroy and rebuild and entire new and modern store?

Conveniently about a year and a half after it burns to the ground which is about the timeframe it requires to draw plans, put money in pockets and get materials for building

• Like 2

The death toll will be covered up.

They won't count the Burmese.

Just read 2 of your posts on this topic. You are a barrel of fun aren't you ?

He's just getting it into context within the environment we live in. A python loose in a local village gets more column inches than a pick up accident that kills multiple Burmese.

• Like 1

what im wondering is why no one has picked up on the fact that supercheap had recently bought land behind its store to destroy and rebuild and entire new and modern store?

Conveniently about a year and a half after it burns to the ground which is about the timeframe it requires to draw plans, put money in pockets and get materials for building

Do you have a source for this info please ?

Would be good to find out if the store was insured or not. If any insurance company covered that pigpen built of old timber and corrugated metal, they must either have been out of their minds or anyone on the management floor all of a sudden "won" a new Mercedes after signing the deed...

• Like 1

^^ Or they have an appreciation for the truth- Thais have a whole other mindset on safety. Money rules all, and the fact this place, ( and others ) operated for years with glaring safety issues is proof.

Edited by MacChine

To reiterate, the claim about shuttering is very worrying, but it is a rumour, although I felt it pertinent to mention that I'd heard about the post and to ask for a translation (thank you cherrylee2512).

To be honest, whilst it could have been a misunderstanding by the person who claimed it in a stressful situation given it was near closing time, I can easily believe it happened as claimed. Despite the horror of my initial reaction to the claim, on reflection if it turns out to be true I'd put it down to lack of staff training regarding what to do in the event of a fire, and how quickly a small one can spread rather than necessarily being overtly about money above all.. numerous reports have stated that there were no alarms sounded and that word spread by word of mouth, which indicates a distinct lack of caution, preparation and staff training. I just hope that [a] it didn't happen, if it did, it was a quickly reverted decision and [c] the fire doesn't turn out to have had a huge human toll (although even one is too many)

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I will surely miss this place. I always felt like a five year old headed to Disneyland when we'd load up our friends from the village and head off to Super Cheap. It was Costco, Super Walmart, Home Depot, Bestbuy, Office Depot, PepBoys, Walgreens, and your neighborhood fireworks stand all rolled up into one. I also hope and pray that no lives were lost in this horrific disaster. May those who have been injured quickly recover and those out of work quickly find something to take it's place.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wonder if prices in the satellite branches have gone up today already?.I also don't belive that the staff would have closed the shutters to prevent theft,the store closes at 10pm,and the fire started around 9.40pm,so my guess is the shutters were already half shut in preparation for closure.

PST.

this is what i think too

• Like 1

Facebook postings say more than 200 dead (24 hrs ago), but figure that will be released to media likely to be substantially less.

Why troll this forum with your FB rumors and slated speculation? Why not put this energy to the side to pray for those effected by this?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

This incident really has me finally deciding Thailand is just no place to live - it's just too unsafe in every way, to consider retirement in.

So which country then it is that you find "safe enough" to retire in? If I remember correctly I have been reading about...

Costa Concordia (not really a Thai ship operated by Thais, huh?)

Tunnel desasters and infernos in several european countries, including the "oh so safe" Switzerland

Bombs going off on an almost regular basis near bus stations, subways or public events in Britain and the US of A

Old or helpless people being kicked into coma or death by immigrant youths just for fun in Germany and other "oh so safe" western cities

School shootings in the US of A (never had one in Thailand, at least not where students do the shooting - thinking about Thammasat massacre in 76)

Chain reaction collisions in England, Germany and other european countries on highways due to fog

Aviation desasters of mainly western and former russian airlines

High tech Japan being nuked by building nuclear plants right on the beach in areas that are well-known Tsunami passages

Civilized world high speed trains derailing

Western ice skating domes collapsing

Wild fires in the US of A and Australia, destroying hundreds if not thousands of homes near forests

Skyscrapers "collapsing" after being "attacked" by "hijacked" airplanes because the air force was too busy (or disabled) to intercept

Huge areas of the US coast being put on a silver plate to be destroyed by storms and storm floods because the government did not see any reason to reinforce or repair the flood walls and dykes

Thousands of homes being destroyed by hurricanes in Hurricane Alley and other, similar areas in the US of A

Dams collapsing in the US of A and "oh so safe"western super countries

Shopping center collapses in Korea

Bridges collapse in western countries all over the world on an almost daily basis...

... and on and on it goes and YOU are telling us here that Thailand is unsafe? Oh man, get a life!

Yes ,your perception of risks is very good…Thailand has its own unique set of risks and weighing them all up against other countries, at the end of the day, we reasonable accept all of the risks, otherwise we would not live here, even though we sometimes regret that Thailand should perhaps be more like a regulatory developed country than a un-regulated one.

Edited by MK1

So which country then it is that you find "safe enough" to retire in? If I remember correctly I have been reading about...

Tunnel desasters and infernos in several european countries, including the "oh so safe" Switzerland

Bombs going off on an almost regular basis near bus stations, subways or public events in Britain and the US of A (THIS wasn't at at bomb factory, a commercial business. Why we call it "terrorism")

Old or helpless people being kicked into coma or death by immigrant youths just for fun in Germany and other "oh so safe" western cities

School shootings in the US of A (never had one in Thailand, at least not where students do the shooting - thinking about Thammasat massacre in 76) (They tend to prefer machetes.... again, not an established commercial enterprise... I don't think!)

Chain reaction collisions in England, Germany and other european countries on highways due to fog

Aviation desasters of mainly western and former russian airlines (With the number of planes in the air, inevitable. Flying is still safest way to move)

High tech Japan being nuked by building nuclear plants right on the beach in areas that are well-known Tsunami passages

Wild fires in the US of A and Australia, destroying hundreds if not thousands of homes near forests (These are called "acts of God" unless you are suggesting removing all vegetation. Did that on Jomtien beach road... yarg!)

Skyscrapers "collapsing" after being "attacked" by "hijacked" airplanes because the air force was too busy (or disabled) to intercept (are you suggesting we license terrorists? Fault for this lies at the top, imho)

Huge areas of the US coast being put on a silver plate to be destroyed by storms and storm floods because the government did not see any reason to reinforce or repair the flood walls and dykes (Agreed. and then rebuilding New Orleans.... idiots)

Thousands of homes being destroyed by hurricanes in Hurricane Alley and other, similar areas in the US of A (Act of God)

Bridges collapse in western countries all over the world on an almost daily basis...

... and on and on it goes and YOU are telling us here that Thailand is unsafe? Oh man, get a life!

So I agree there are plenty of examples of stupidity in other countries. But addition of certain charges weakens your argument, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'm hearing some very disturbing things from Supercheap staff about the death toll which I pray aren't true.
Why the deafening silence from the authorities and media? (Rhetorical question.)

Probably because they don't know yet and don't want to contribute to the useless speculating. I would not be surprised at all if it turns out there was no loss of life at all: end of the day, they were preparing to close already, the fire started slowly so people had time to get out.

And no, Thai authorities will not be able to cover it up if there are mass casualties, they have tried that in the past and failed, simply impossible these days.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

I'm hearing some very disturbing things from Supercheap staff about the death toll which I pray aren't true.
Why the deafening silence from the authorities and media? (Rhetorical question.)

Probably because they don't know yet and don't want to contribute to the useless speculating. I would not be surprised at all if it turns out there was no loss of life at all: end of the day, they were preparing to close already, the fire started slowly so people had time to get out.

And no, Thai authorities will not be able to cover it up if there are mass casualties, they have tried that in the past and failed, simply impossible these days.

A Large weeping Ficus tree (Buddha Tree) stands remarkable tall and unscathed and in the middle of the SuperCheap ruins. This tree will most likely be worshiped by many in the aftermath of this disaster.

• Like 1

A Large weeping Ficus tree (Buddha Tree) stands remarkable tall and unscathed and in the middle of the SuperCheap ruins. This tree will most likely be worshiped by many in the aftermath of this disaster.

I was quite amazed on the video of the charred ruins to see that tree still standing, not quite unscathed as it looks a little singed on the outer branches. If it survives I hope it will remain as those trees are sacred & if you ever want to pull one down need to get the monks in first.

• Like 1

I'm curious, reports are saying 1,000 employees were believed to be inside when the fire started. I realize this was a large place, and labor is cheap in Thailand, but 1,000 people seems a bit high doesn't it?

I saw that one, but really it means 1,000 people are employed by the company,

but not all would be on the same shift. Still 300-500 on evening shift is easily believable.

And as someone elose said, now there are 1,000 more unemployed in Phuket and crime will likely go up.

Another news source which can't be named under rule #31 claims 3000 people are/were employed there. I can easily see 500-1000 that time of day.

I suspect there is some confusion between the main big stores staff,

and the total company staff which includes several smaller satellite stores on Phuket.

3,000 over several stores sure. But just one store, maybe 1,000 is closer to right.

2 shifts 500 per shift.cut who knows there must be many unofficial employees,

And assorted working girls, katoeys and 'other business models' employees on site too.

So it seems you'd agree, Thailand safety standards are lax? How was this firetrap allowed to operate?

A bit OT, but pertinent to your post; I drove up from Malaysia the other day and witnessed utterly insane driving the whole way,

most notably a Hat Yai - Phuket bus going 85 mph on a stretch of road that I, in my super agile and safe Toyota sports car would only drive about 60 mph on. I don't see that kind of blatant disregard in the US.

Yes accidents and infrastructure meltdowns occur, all over the world but the difference is the accountability, there is none in Thailand -life is cheap and lies are free.

btw " Get a life" is such an infantile, tired cliche that does nothing for your assertion that Thailand is a s safe as anywhere else. That is your claim , is it not? Let's have a poll !!

Would be good to find out if the store was insured or not. If any insurance company covered that pigpen built of old timber and corrugated metal, they must either have been out of their minds or anyone on the management floor all of a sudden "won" a new Mercedes after signing the deed...

Excellent response to Catweazle Emdog, and I'll reiterate- It's the accountability that's lacking.

Bombs going off on an almost regular basis near bus stations, subways or public events in Britain and the US of A (THIS wasn't at at bomb factory, a commercial business. Why we call it "terrorism")

School shootings in the US of A (never had one in Thailand, at least not where students do the shooting - thinking about Thammasat massacre in 76) (They tend to prefer machetes.... again, not an established commercial enterprise... I don't think!)

Aviation desasters of mainly western and former russian airlines (With the number of planes in the air, inevitable. Flying is still safest way to move)

Wild fires in the US of A and Australia, destroying hundreds if not thousands of homes near forests (These are called "acts of God" unless you are suggesting removing all vegetation. Did that on Jomtien beach road... yarg!)

Skyscrapers "collapsing" after being "attacked" by "hijacked" airplanes because the air force was too busy (or disabled) to intercept (are you suggesting we license terrorists? Fault for this lies at the top, imho)

Huge areas of the US coast being put on a silver plate to be destroyed by storms and storm floods because the government did not see any reason to reinforce or repair the flood walls and dykes (Agreed. and then rebuilding New Orleans.... idiots)

Thousands of homes being destroyed by hurricanes in Hurricane Alley and other, similar areas in the US of A (Act of God)

So I agree there are plenty of examples of stupidity in other countries. But addition of certain charges weakens your argument, in my opinion.

While it is pure speculation at this point to even suggest the fire was deliberate, what is the rule on paying severance to suddenly unemployed workers under these circumstances, one has to wonder?

By English News

BANGKOK, Oct 17 - Interior Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan today instructed concerned agencies to help than 3,000 workers of fire-leveled SuperCheap hypermarket in this southern resort island.

The minister said the situation was under control this morning and that an investigation is underway to find cause of the fire.

The blaze began about 9.30pm last night at the SuperCheap department store on Thepkasattri Road in the Phuket provincial seat.

Mr Jarupong instructed the Phuket governor to convene a meeting of concerned agencies to speed relief measures for the affected. Help centres were set up -- one directed by the National Police Bureau while another as a cooperation of the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

Initial inspection found that 2,736 SuperCheap employees and some 700 Myanmar migrant workers have been affected, according to the minister.

Mr Jarupong said the Department of Employment is prepared to support temporary employment with about 1,600 available job positions.

The minister added that the SuperCheap owner will be asked to join the governor's meeting to help lay out emergency relief measures for the company's workers and other affected persons within today.

Phuket governor Maitree Intusutr said it took about 15 hours to extinguish the fire and he reaffirmed that, as of Thursday, no one was killed or injured in the incident.

He said concerned officials are waiting for permission from police to enter the compound to probe the cause of the fire and search for any casualties. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-17

Focusing on the Social Security aspect, with that many employees including migrant workers that means SuperCheap have been paying approximately 1,374’400 baht in social security payments per month to the relevant department of social security & labour. Assuming if correct that they had 3436 employees (inclusive migrants) x 400bht per month in monthly payments.

Therefore, as a result of this incident Social Security are looking down the barrel of having to payout each worker approximately 4500bht per month or a total of 15million in social security payments per month until they find new work for them.

It’s not a wonder everyone is silent to date on the death and injury status of these workers (let alone those who were shopping there) as this Social Security entitlement also includes Health Care card too. So we can only hope SuperCheap have been keeping up to date with these payments, as does every other business has to, for the benefit of these workers in the future.

While it is pure speculation at this point to even suggest the fire was deliberate, what is the rule on paying severance to suddenly unemployed workers under these circumstances, one has to wonder?

By English News

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-10-17

See herewith below:

Termination Without Cause

When there is termination without cause, it is compulsory that the employer give a written notice and make severance payment to the employee according to the length of unbroken service, as shown below.

Period of Service Days (inclusive of holidays, leave days, and days on which work stoppage is ordered by the employer)

- 120 days but less than 1 year

30 days

- 1 year to 3 years

90 days

- 3 years to 6 years

180 days

- 6 years to 10 years

240 days

- 10 years up

300 days

The employer can terminate the services of an employee immediately by making payment in lieu of notice.

An employee can bring an action against his/her employer in the Labor Court if the employee thinks the employment was terminated by unfair practices.

Source;http://www.thailaws.com/information/thai_legal_info_07.htm