Large fire at Phuket SuperCheap, reports of explosions

Lite Beer

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Officially, there are no reports of any injured or dead until now."

I am not buying this at all. All news stations were reporting about people being treated at the Vachira early on.
Yet the officials claim no one was injured?

This is an early report from the site that must not be named:

"At the Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket City, doctors and nurses were treating people burned in the blaze.

Some of them were Burmese and could not speak Thai. The SuperCheap store, popular with poor especially for its bargains, employed many Burmese as shop assistants.

In tears, a Thai woman at the hospital was being treated for a leg wound she suffered as she fell while running for her life.

''There was no fire alarm,'' she said. ''Everybody just started running for the door.''

So they clearly say that there were people who were burned.

Also, I spoke with two Burmese who are working in other parts of the island and who had friends or family working in Supercheap that night, who have not been seen since than. The Burmese community claims that they know if at least 70-100 people that have died during the blaze.

It seems to me that they really do try to cover it up.

Might be because there were so many illegal workers there. How could you confirm the death of a person that doesn´t even exist legally in this country?

Edited by thaibutty
  • Like 2

Also, I spoke with two Burmese who are working in other parts of the island and who had friends or family working in Supercheap that night, who have not been seen since than. The Burmese community claims that they know if at least 70-100 people that have died during the blaze.

Might be because there were so many illegal workers there. How could you confirm the death of a person that doesn´t even exist legally in this country?

I also wonder of the lack of official information about the injuries and deaths. They could say "So far we have not found any casulties." or "We have found burned bodies." or similar. But so far nada.

Then again, how they would be able to hide the bodies from public eye as nowdays everybody carries some sort of cameras. How tightly restricted the area is currently?

Well, this just came from PG http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Investigators-find-no-bodies-in-charred-ruins-of-SuperCheap-yet-22531.html

PHUKET: Investigators searching the scorched remains of SuperCheap discovered no bodies yesterday but called for boots and rakes as they recommenced their search this morning.

...clip...

Governor Maitri noted that the fire area will be sealed off for 45 days or until investigators from the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) finish their investigation.

I also wonder of the lack of official information about the injuries and deaths. They could say "So far we have not found any casulties." or "We have found burned bodies." or similar. But so far nada.

Then again, how they would be able to hide the bodies from public eye as nowdays everybody carries some sort of cameras. How tightly restricted the area is currently?

They can't hide bodies these days, a cover up is really impossible these days. Even if they were to manage to hide the bodies there will always be somebody talking.

I just don't get why some people feel the need to keep claiming many people died, when the indications are more and more that that is not the case.

That fire would have completely obliterated bodies anywhere near the center of it.

They can't hide bodies these days, a cover up is really impossible these days. Even if they were to manage to hide the bodies there will always be somebody talking.

I just don't get why some people feel the need to keep claiming many people died, when the indications are more and more that that is not the case.

I agree that it's virtually impossible to hide the bodies. If there would be a media ban, the information and images would leak through social media.

One thing which feeds the rumours is that there was no official information of the casualties. Then again, people might still make the conspiracy theories (which I love to read btw).

I think developing the rumours and believing those comes also from the need to be 'part of something big' and seeing/understanding something others failed to see. As crazy as it might sound, without extra tragedy, the significance of the event is less.

I agree that it's virtually impossible to hide the bodies. If there would be a media ban, the information and images would leak through social media.

One thing which feeds the rumours is that there was no official information of the casualties. Then again, people might still make the conspiracy theories (which I love to read btw).

I think developing the rumours and believing those comes also from the need to be 'part of something big' and seeing/understanding something others failed to see. As crazy as it might sound, without extra tragedy, the significance of the event is less.

Agreed it´s almost impossible to hide bodies if they would be found. So far they haven´t even started to get into the site as they lack training and equipment to do so, while there are still fires burning and the area is extremely hot.

However, why do officials state that there are no confirmed reports about anyone injured, while clearyl there are reports that people where treated at Vachira with wounds suffered during the blaze.

It´s just that I have spoken to people (Burmese) who are 100% sure that they have friends and family that are missing since the fire. They might not be on the list of missing persons for a simple reason:

A huge number of them are illegal migrant workers and therefore will not be reported for fear of the authorities.

• Like 1

Yes I'm aware you can't just fire someone as you don't like the way they look, but having the workplace evaporate may well be considered justified cause. That's really my question, will they have to pay severance or not?

While it is pure speculation at this point to even suggest the fire was deliberate, what is the rule on paying severance to suddenly unemployed workers under these circumstances, one has to wonder?

Phuket governor to find relief measures for fire-impacted SuperCheap workers
By English News

BANGKOK, Oct 17 - Interior Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan today instructed concerned agencies to help than 3,000 workers of fire-leveled SuperCheap hypermarket in this southern resort island.

The minister said the situation was under control this morning and that an investigation is underway to find cause of the fire.

The blaze began about 9.30pm last night at the SuperCheap department store on Thepkasattri Road in the Phuket provincial seat.

Mr Jarupong instructed the Phuket governor to convene a meeting of concerned agencies to speed relief measures for the affected. Help centres were set up -- one directed by the National Police Bureau while another as a cooperation of the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

Initial inspection found that 2,736 SuperCheap employees and some 700 Myanmar migrant workers have been affected, according to the minister.

Mr Jarupong said the Department of Employment is prepared to support temporary employment with about 1,600 available job positions.

The minister added that the SuperCheap owner will be asked to join the governor's meeting to help lay out emergency relief measures for the company's workers and other affected persons within today.

Phuket governor Maitree Intusutr said it took about 15 hours to extinguish the fire and he reaffirmed that, as of Thursday, no one was killed or injured in the incident.

He said concerned officials are waiting for permission from police to enter the compound to probe the cause of the fire and search for any casualties. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-17

Focusing on the Social Security aspect, with that many employees including migrant workers that means SuperCheap have been paying approximately 1,374’400 baht in social security payments per month to the relevant department of social security & labour. Assuming if correct that they had 3436 employees (inclusive migrants) x 400bht per month in monthly payments.

Therefore, as a result of this incident Social Security are looking down the barrel of having to payout each worker approximately 4500bht per month or a total of 15million in social security payments per month until they find new work for them.

It’s not a wonder everyone is silent to date on the death and injury status of these workers (let alone those who were shopping there) as this Social Security entitlement also includes Health Care card too. So we can only hope SuperCheap have been keeping up to date with these payments, as does every other business has to, for the benefit of these workers in the future.

See herewith below:

Termination Without Cause

When there is termination without cause, it is compulsory that the employer give a written notice and make severance payment to the employee according to the length of unbroken service, as shown below.

Period of Service Days (inclusive of holidays, leave days, and days on which work stoppage is ordered by the employer)

- 120 days but less than 1 year

30 days

- 1 year to 3 years

90 days

- 3 years to 6 years

180 days

- 6 years to 10 years

240 days

- 10 years up

300 days

The employer can terminate the services of an employee immediately by making payment in lieu of notice.

An employee can bring an action against his/her employer in the Labor Court if the employee thinks the employment was terminated by unfair practices.

Source;http://www.thailaws.com/information/thai_legal_info_07.htm

Agreed it´s almost impossible to hide bodies if they would be found. So far they haven´t even started to get into the site as they lack training and equipment to do so, while there are still fires burning and the area is extremely hot.

However, why do officials state that there are no confirmed reports about anyone injured, while clearyl there are reports that people where treated at Vachira with wounds suffered during the blaze.

It´s just that I have spoken to people (Burmese) who are 100% sure that they have friends and family that are missing since the fire. They might not be on the list of missing persons for a simple reason:

A huge number of them are illegal migrant workers and therefore will not be reported for fear of the authorities.

PW had an article which stated that the officials know that many of the SC workers are illegals, but they have been given amnesty for the time being.

If there were bodies, I would guess that those would be found close to the borders of the shops as people were likely to get as far away from the center of the fire as they could. After the fire the edges of the shop likely cool faster and are more accessible for the officials when they start investications.

On the media reports I noticed only few minor injuries reported from the Vachira, one falling down and another miron burns or so. It's also good to remember that the newspapers get more clicks (money) if the headline is suggestive of major catastrophe.

It also could be that the missing Burmese people were illegals and are on the run now as they are afraid to be arrested. Then again, they would probably let their loved ones to know, if that would be the case.

Anyway, currently there are very little facts and lot's of speculations. I'm doing the same with above. Wondering about feasible theories without real facts and knowledge.

Hearsay Chinese whispers and mutterings among the Burmese is not uncommon. Next week they’ll be talking about ghosts hanging around the place including very little will be reluctant to go near the place; let alone ride past on their motorbikes.

Also must take into account the event was on closing time so many would have been preparing to exit the building. The department of Labour and the employer will have records of all employees and no doubt an audit of those people, to determine if anyone’s missing, is presently underway.

Edited by MK1

Well " burn "is perhaps the wrong word for bones, but turned into something no longer recognizable as such is achieved in crematoriums, so it seems to me this fire burned hot enough for that. It had a lot of fuel in way of plastics too.

However reports are now the fire spread slowly enough for all to get out, so let us hope it is the case

That fire would have completely obliterated bodies anywhere near the center of

It would be no where near the temp required to incinerate bones.

Sent from my Atari 2600

I still don't figure why folks are saying--'the owners were not the sort of people to engage in Insurance scams'--they're pretty unique in this world,

Most people are good and walk with Jesus

People who will pull insurance scams need Jesus

Do you walk with Jesus

Perhaps you walk up and down Walking Street and Beach Road with him!

The Bangkok Post is continuing it's headline news as the Laos plane crash in which I believe 7 Thai citizens lost their lives. When dozens die in a road accident it hardly make the news, so why is the Laos airplane crash so important.

And I see nothing today about the Phuket fire. Surely this is more important with unconfirmed reports of many casualties, despite a complete press clamp down.

Have the government ordered the press to remain silent?

Edited by prakhonchai nick
  • Like 1

The Bangkok Post is continuing it's headline news as the Laos plane crash in which I believe 7 Thai citizens lost their lives.  When dozens die in a road accident it hardly make the news, so why is the Laos airplane crash so important.

And I see nothing today about the Phuket fire. Surely this is more important with unconfirmed reports of many casualties, despite a complete press clamp down.

Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it ?

Two scenarios - there are no deaths or serious injuries and therefore now page 5 news OR if the death toll is high (say 50 or more) it will make international headlines, particularly if foreigners are involved, and thus there has been a media clamp down!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Post removed...

Forum rule 31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Anyone know how far the fire could get if it hits the gas station? My house is 500m away behind it so no concrete road to stop it.

Bit of a silly question really. How long is a piece of string?

Whether it got to your house depends on numerous things. i.e. What's in between? If there are comtinuous or closely built dwellings etc then the answer is yes. Is there a wind? The gas station is obviously a contributing factor. How good is the brigade there? What equipment do they have? What are the manning levels? Is there a good supply of water? If we were in the UK then you would feel reasonably safe...........here? TIT

The Bangkok Post is continuing it's headline news as the Laos plane crash in which I believe 7 Thai citizens lost their lives. When dozens die in a road accident it hardly make the news, so why is the Laos airplane crash so important.

Two scenarios - there are no deaths or serious injuries and therefore now page 5 news OR if the death toll is high (say 50 or more) it will make international headlines, particularly if foreigners are involved, and thus there has been a media clamp down!

Your second scenario in this time and age is not possible.

I was at the bus station last night at 5.30pm & there was still quite a bit of smoke about. I swung by Supercheap to have a look & towards the end of the soi running alongside the petrol station there were several firetrucks with their lights flashing which was where the smoke was emanating from. The complex was huge & if there 100s of people inside when the fire broke out I am afraid to say I am very skeptical there were no casualties

Not possible because not in the news and you write and post it?

Reminds me of the former Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf.

Better pray for all of them then speculate.

It has already been widely reported that " ''People had time to get away. Our staff have been with us for a long time and they are familiar with all the exits.''

I would post a link but it isn't allowed. Some simple searching will confirm it. There are now only two listed as missing after the fire. I hope and pray the two are found to be safe and sound. I also thank God that this doesn't seem to have become the massive loss of precious life so many seem to be hopping for simply to confirm their suspicions and boost their egos.

Sent from my Atari 2600

• Like 1

I don't understand this sympathy for Supercheap. Yes, they are a local firm that has taken on the big boys successfully, but, they employ illegal labour AND had an outrageous death-trap. Instead of no casualties, this event had the potential to have had hundreds of dead.

• Like 2

Not possible because not in the news and you write and post it?

Reminds me of the former Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf.

Better pray for all of them then speculate.

I believe in prayers nor speculation, so do neither.

I tend to agree with you. Although it is not impossible for a cover up, I'd be very surprised if those in charge of the situation in Phuket would have the know how or capability to do so

It has already been widely reported that " ''People had time to get away. Our staff have been with us for a long time and they are familiar with all the exits.''

I would post a link but it isn't allowed. Some simple searching will confirm it. There are now only two listed as missing after the fire. I hope and pray the two are found to be safe and sound. I also thank God that this doesn't seem to have become the massive loss of precious life so many seem to be hopping for simply to confirm their suspicions and boost their egos.

Sent from my Atari 2600

I don't know about anyone else, but I was certainly hopping mad!

• Like 1