Swedish tourist 'scammed' of 100,000 Baht in Udon Thani

webfact

Swedish Tourist 'Scammed' Of 100,000 Baht

By Khasod Online

UDON THANI: -- A Swedish tourist has alleged that a Thai woman has stolen his wallet and withdrawn 100,000 baht from his bank accounts

Mr. Issa Barsoma, 60, told Udonthani Tourism police that his pocket was stolen by a Thai woman called Thidarat.

According to Mr.Barsoma, he and Ms. Thidarat met in Sweden when she travelled there as a tourist. Mr. Barsoma said Ms. Thidarat had promised to take him sightseeing if he ever visited Thailand.

When Mr. Barsoma arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday, he said, Ms. Thidarat had met him there and brought him straight to Udonthani province. They gone to Central shopping mall in the town center for shopping and dining, the tourist added.

Mr. Barsoma told police Ms. Thidarat took his wallet when he was unaware and disappeared. He said he had tried to reach her phones, but it was turned off.

Tracing the information on Mr. Barsoma’s cards, it appeared that THB 60,000 cash was taken off from the victim’s account at an ATM next to a KFC restaurant in UDTown Market and a further 40,000 baht had also been withdrawn.

Mr. Barsoma said Ms. Thidarat might have memorised the password when he was withdrawing cash earlier in the day.

Police investigation suggested that the suspect had been seen going out with many foreigners prior to the incident.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1Ua3pNREl4Tmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-17

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Investigations suggested the suspect had been seen going out with many foreigners prior to the incident. Really ?

Are there Thai ladies as fickle as this ?

How they know that without finding her ? do they know her ?

many ways now days to find a person, CCTV cameras everywhere, airports, restaurants shopping centers,

also personal IP address and SMS signatures,, not to mention name and facial description,

No limit on the cards? hmmmm!

Of course there is but in the real world 100k is hardly a mega amount for a normal person.

I have never asked to have any limit raised and 2 my 2 cards can give 5k GBP each daily.

Hell I think my kasikorn pocket money card gives 50k ??

• Like 1

arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday, he said, Ms. Thidarat had met him there and brought him straight to Udonthani province. They gone to Central shopping mall in the town center for shopping

ding ding ding.. Gold digger alarm bells perhaps ??

• Like 1

I only have 20, 000 on my scb card which sort of limits losing a lot of money. Max withdrawal is 20, 000 any one time so she would have to made 5 atm withdrawals. I am going to lower my daily limits on my foreign cards.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Strange that the relationship would go so sour so quick. Seems the lady had some respectability as she had previously travelled to Europe. Can't believe she would resort to this tactic when she probably had a great future with this guy.

• Like 2

Strange that the relationship would go so sour so quick. Seems the lady had some respectability as she had previously travelled to Europe. Can't believe she would resort to this tactic when she probably had a great future with this guy.

Alternate reality: She was 'working' illegally while on a tourist visa in Europe (massage, 'night work', etc.). Happens a lot - a "tourist" is not always a tourist. They got along and the guy thought she'd be fun to hang out with if he visited Thailand, or perhaps he even developed some feelings for her. She, on the other hand, was 'all business'. Not so unusual.

"Some" Thai women are not looking for a future with a farang just their wallets. The only real travelling they are interested in is to the local ATM. Throw in a nice meal and some shopping and you have a perfect day for some.

• Like 1

Police investigation suggested that the suspect had been seen going out with many foreigners prior to the incident.

No ...really ? I didnt know it was normal practise.

It was an overseas Card laurentbkk --(Swedish) so the amount allowed was higher than a Thai card. And your correct ezzra---it was all about Cameras. He isn't as stupid as the report suggests, the guy knew this women from Sweden as her mother lives there--(she came back to live in Thailand) , so felt safe about the "Friendship" --she had helped him with the ATM as it was in Thai earlier in the day---they were eating and she said how cold she felt---he put his jacket around her, she latter said she was going to the toilet, it was his 2nd day here--he had never been to Thailand before & was so upset at the incident that he booked a plane to go back the next day--- Police asked him to stay just a few days more for the identification .

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 2

Investigations suggested the suspect had been seen going out with many foreigners prior to the incident. Really ?

Are there Thai ladies as fickle as this ?

How they know that without finding her ? do they know her ?

Excuse me? They may have had access to friends, colleagues or acquaintances as an investigation generally involves.

Have you never watched a tv cops program?

2 + 2 = 4 even in Thailand

She memorised his password (PIN)..........

Strange to trust someone so soon in a relationship.

Personally, I say NEVER divulge your PIN's to anyone ...except your grandmother's parents.

(PS..your grandmother must be older than 110).

First thing to do after arrived in Thailand is going to Udon (why not), but then go shopping in a mall ? I really don't understand this guy.

I'm sure he didn't meet her as a tourist in Sweeden and the "sightseeing" was not the purpose of his journey in Thailand.

First thing to do after arrived in Thailand is going to Udon (why not), but then go shopping in a mall ? I really don't understand this guy.
I'm sure he didn't meet her as a tourist in Sweeden and the "sightseeing" was not the purpose of his journey in Thailand.

I would not even go straight onward to Udon after a long flight form Europe.

And if she were just a tourist back then in Sweden, she would not have come from Udon to BKK and then drag him off

to Udon (by plane I presume) and straight into a mall.

It is more likely she was not a tourist there and that their interaction in Sweden was not that of a local

giving directions to a tourist and ending up having a friendly talk on the sidewalk.

Also, how was she even able to get close enough to his pocket to get his wallet with ATM card?

His first mistake was meeting her upon arrival at BKK airport.

Who are we kidding? He had certain intentions all along, brought about by a lower part of his body.

And if she were just a tourist back then in Sweden, she would not have come from Udon to BKK and then drag him off

It is more likely she was not a tourist there and that their interaction in Sweden was not that of a local

giving directions to a tourist and ending up having a friendly talk on the sidewalk.

Also, how was she even able to get close enough to his pocket to get his wallet with ATM card?

Who are we kidding? He had certain intentions all along, brought about by a lower part of his body.

anthobkk----I do not expect you to read every post, but try reading mine, "It's what happened"---I know to people like us who have lived in Thailand some year's might think he sounds like a candidate for the B,Uni but all his intentions were good--perhaps you would like to give the guy a break now. His biggest worry at the moment is what he is going to tell her mother who lives in the same street as him in Sweden.

anthobkk----I do not expect you to read every post, but try reading mine, "It's what happened"---I know to people like us who have lived in Thailand some year's might think he sounds like a candidate for the B,Uni but all his intentions were good--perhaps you would like to give the guy a break now. His biggest worry at the moment is what he is going to tell her mother who lives in the same street as him in Sweden.

If he does speak to the mother then simply tell her the truth. Your daughter is a lying, cheating thief. Don't worry about causing a loss of face as Sweden is a different culture and she is not going to organise 15 armed thai thugs to come around and beat the life out of you in the name of face and respect. She is the farang and not the guy in Sweden.

• Like 2