Swedish tourist 'scammed' of 100,000 Baht in Udon Thani

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Investigations suggested the suspect had been seen going out with many foreigners prior to the incident. Really ?

Are there Thai ladies as fickle as this ?

How they know that without finding her ? do they know her ?

many ways now days to find a person, CCTV cameras everywhere, airports, restaurants shopping centers,

also personal IP address and SMS signatures,, not to mention name and facial description,

So if they have all these cameras etc., why not share with the public to help find her??

Got himself a good, quick education. Now eligible for first grade. Amazing how some guys can be so thick. They do no research on where they are going. Thai Visa should be mandatory reading before coming to the land of smiles. Lots of bitter guys and bashing for sure, but overall could raise one's awareness, as this guy need to. But he had to learn the hard way....

• Like 1

Herd so many negative things written about the victim of the crime rather thank any negative things about the thief

If you read between the lines it is obvious is wallet was stolen and not his pocket

It is not hard for someone to do if my wife wanted to Steel my bank account details it would not be hard same me of I wanted to do to her

I mean when u go to the ATM with your misses very time u go out the chances of her seeing just 4 numbers are very high

Then steeling the wallet should be a peice of piss considering he would be Taking his trousers off around his girl friend allot

As for the ATM of coarse there are ATM cameras it is up to the bank and the police and the victim about giving out the CCTV

As for finding her now she could be anywhere but with an amount only worn 100 k I doubt the police shall start a national man hunt for her

Would cost more than 100 k to do that

I just cannot understand why people hate the victims of crime so much makes me laugh

• Like 1

Investigations suggested the suspect had been seen going out with many foreigners prior to the incident. Really ?

Are there Thai ladies as fickle as this ?

How they know that without finding her ? do they know her ?

Where is her photo?

No limit on the cards? hmmmm!

Was thinking the same, mine is 10,000.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With Mastercard much higher and some Visa accounts has different limits as well, it all depens where your from ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

My Bangkok Bank ATM limit is 24 bills/24 hours (24K, worst case, but have not personally verified this). I keep two accounts - a high-balance security account and a 10K max (my limit, not Bangkok Bank's) daily account and transfer only 10K from the former to the latter when necessary.

The security ATM card is kept in a safe and not routinely carried. The security account number has never been compromised by having it the receiver of a wire transfer either.

Works for me, but have never had this system put to the test either. The security account also serves as a backup for the daily account if something happens to the daily ATM card and Bangkok Bank is closed - this did happen once. I didn't premeditate this. Due to circumstances, I ended up with two accounts so I decided to employ them this way.

Edited by MaxYakov

She memorised his password (PIN)..........

Strange to trust someone so soon in a relationship.

Personally, I say NEVER divulge your PIN's to anyone ...except your grandmother's parents.

(PS..your grandmother must be older than 110).

Agree 100% Nobody, and I do mean NObody, gets ever my PIN number....

Maybe, just maybe, I make an exception for my grandmother's parents (I need to see some id though) giggle.gif

• Like 1

Strange that the relationship would go so sour so quick. Seems the lady had some respectability as she had previously travelled to Europe. Can't believe she would resort to this tactic when she probably had a great future with this guy.

How do you think she had the money to travel overseas in the first place. She has done this type of thing before and she will be doing it again and again till she gets caught.

She memorised his password (PIN)..........

Strange to trust someone so soon in a relationship.

Personally, I say NEVER divulge your PIN's to anyone ...except your grandmother's parents.

(PS..your grandmother must be older than 110).

Exactly. WHY in the world would anyone with an IQ higher than a bucket of MUD give their ATM password to ANYONE.

Do you suppose he walked around in Sweden sharing his password with various people?

Sorry but sometimes some people may NEED to be a victim in order to hopefully LEARN a lesson. If it only cost him 100 k baht to learn to use his head for something besides a hat rack he probably got off cheap.

Herd so many negative things written about the victim of the crime rather thank any negative things about the thief

If you read between the lines it is obvious is wallet was stolen and not his pocket

It is not hard for someone to do if my wife wanted to Steel my bank account details it would not be hard same me of I wanted to do to her

I mean when u go to the ATM with your misses very time u go out the chances of her seeing just 4 numbers are very high

Then steeling the wallet should be a peice of piss considering he would be Taking his trousers off around his girl friend allot

As for the ATM of coarse there are ATM cameras it is up to the bank and the police and the victim about giving out the CCTV

As for finding her now she could be anywhere but with an amount only worn 100 k I doubt the police shall start a national man hunt for her

I just cannot understand why people hate the victims of crime so much makes me laugh

Because you should not post anything negative about thais on this forum.

Typical scam heard and done daily. Sad he allowed anyone close enough to the ATM machine to view his pin# entry. Ooops!

As far as most of you focusing on the credit limits..please are serious. In the real world (outside of Thailand) you couldn't possibly maintain or function within the daily withdrawal limits set by the banks. I think my Kasikorn account initially set my account at a default rate of 20000b which equates to about $670USD. As a world traveling tourist, you can hardly comfortably remain with this constraints, at least I can't. I had Kasikorn raise mine.

Then you have to deal with the limits set on the ATM and not that of your account. So 60000b on Swedish card and another 40000b is truly no biggies in the "real world".

Hell, lets not kid ourselves, you can't even goto Tops/BigC these days or Central/Paragon to do holiday shopping without coming near those limits set by the banks. And you better not have an emerency of sorts come up then you're really screwed.

I have been to this mall many times. It is a very new mall,I think 2-3 years old. Every entrance has security guards, supposed security entry gates and metal detectors. Every entrance has CCTV cameras, as well as CCTV cameras which span all floors.

The KFC is on the first floor, beside the banks. Most of the banks there are in the same area and there are 6 (I think) atms all in the same area. I did an "express" withdrawal last July where I made my withdrawal, used the bank with the new notes (of course!) at SCB. These banks all have their own security also, and their own cameras installed. Some, such as SCB also have a security guard within visible distance of the ATM.

Curious how she got away with this and managed to leave the building.. he did not even take a photo of her or have a photo of her?

Because you should not post anything negative about thais on this forum.

Thai or forang she is a criminal does not matter

And caught on ATM

I see this allot people getting robbed or burgled and people blaming this victims

Crazy

I an in the wrong business maybe i should start robbing people then blame the victim

Mr. Barsoma said Ms. Thidarat might have memorised the password when he was withdrawing cash earlier in the day.

Who'd allow another person to see the password when typing it? Called stupidity.-Posted Image

Problem is that some people trust their girl friends which for some reason people kind these people stupid

Also of she has hanging around him all the time as some girls do then it only takes a split second to switch off

Some banks let your take as much as 250 k out at a time

My Barclays card only allows me 10 k per day but I have seen people won other banks take out up to 250 k

Also thai banks allow the limit to be raised

Some banks 100 k some up to 250 k

If you request, you can set the limit as high as 500,000 bt. daily. By default, it is usually 20,000 daily.

I have been to this mall many times. It is a very new mall,I think 2-3 years old. Every entrance has security guards, supposed security entry gates and metal detectors. Every entrance has CCTV cameras, as well as CCTV cameras which span all floors.

The KFC is on the first floor, beside the banks. Most of the banks there are in the same area and there are 6 (I think) atms all in the same area. I did an "express" withdrawal last July where I made my withdrawal, used the bank with the new notes (of course!) at SCB. These banks all have their own security also, and their own cameras installed. Some, such as SCB also have a security guard within visible distance of the ATM.

Curious how she got away with this and managed to leave the building.. he did not even take a photo of her or have a photo of her?

She got away because he must have not noticed his card was missing till after the transactions otherwise he would have cancelled his card

So the CCTV if only of use after the crime was reported and she had a clean get away

I am sure he has made a police report and there shall be a request from the police to speak to this lady

As if anyone chases this is another story

Unless he chases her himself then I doubt the case shall proceed

Unless it also gets media attention

Old song: all I remember is:

If you're ever in black bottom, put your money in your shoes

cause those black bottom women got the black bottom blues .......

I nearly put my money in my shoes and a thai told me not to as it is an offence to the King whoops

Posters, please read at least page 1 of the replies, as there is a more detailed description of what happened by someone who perhaps knows the victim or similar.

It is unfortunate how many people jump onto a bandwagon of criticizing the victim and making judgements about the victim so quickly.

It is quite normal to goto a shopping mall for lunch and maybe a little shopping when you first arrive somewhere. I don't know shy some people think this is strange.

If you're 60 and have never used a Thai ATM before, you might indeed ask a friend for assistance. Especially when your friend's mother is your neighbour, it's understandable she might have seen his pin in the process.

Regarding the card limit, perhaps a cautionary tale of why you should report any card thefts promptly and why asking your bank for a lower max limit is a good idea.

Stealing his ATM would have been easy. Him putting his jacket around her while his wallet was in the pocket made it easy, but in general if someone trusts you and you want to steal from them, there will always be an opportunity.

The guy got unlucky, it happens. Not really his fault, although obviously he probably could have done things better. But it often is when people first arrive in a new country that they are the most vulnerable. That's why travel insurance is important, to help you recover the costs of misadventures while travelling.

I hope that this experience doesn't completely ruin the Swedish guy's perception of Thailand, Thai people or Isaan. As he was unlucky and only got to see the bad side of Thailand in the short time he was here.

• Like 2