Popping rod

dogpoo

Looking forward to getting this rod, it's a 6lb test curve so plenty for Mekong and Cahor, the good thing about this rod is that it is 2 rods, Popper 8'6" rated 30lb and a 6'4" boat rod again rated to 30lb they use this rod for GT's and big Barracuda, a guy I know has had sharks up to and over 100lbs should have it at the beginning of December!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You should enjoy it.

The reasons I did not comment is because I'm not familiar with the brand, and you may love a rod that I hate, and vice versa.

I was a little concerned that, as a boat rod, I recall it was rated at 20-30Lb line, and I recall you fish heavier line for Mekongs? Don't set the drag too tight and it should be fine.

It's also rated for 2-6 oz cast weight and my lam balls usually weigh quite a bit more. But I haven't seen many rods that are rated to cast up to a pound of loosely packed wet powder. I'm pretty sure the rods I fish at BSR (30lb rated) are being abused on the cast. I know my thumb comes away with a hot spot from thumbing the spool when I use a baitcaster.

Should be great for your new mode of transport!

You should enjoy it.  

The reasons I did not comment is because I'm not familiar with the brand, and you may love a rod that I hate, and vice versa.

I was a little concerned that, as a boat rod, I recall it was rated at 20-30Lb line, and I recall you fish heavier line for Mekongs?  Don't set the drag too tight and it should be fine.

It's also rated for 2-6 oz cast weight and my lam balls usually weigh quite a bit more.  But I haven't seen many rods that are rated to cast up to a pound of loosely packed wet powder.  I'm pretty sure the rods I fish at BSR (30lb rated) are being abused on the cast.  I know my thumb comes away with a hot spot from thumbing the spool when I use a baitcaster.

Should be great for your new mode of transport!

Cheers, yes I am really looking forward to getting it, I was using 50lb braid but that is with my 2 rods PE 6/8 I will be using 30lb braid with this new rod, there are no snags where I fish so 30lb is plenty, as for big Lumb balls I don't fish this method, I will be float fishing with the popping rod and with the boat rod section I will be either using a float with cage feeder or free-lining bread paste, If I were to ever fish BSR I would use the big ball method but I doubt I will ever go there, it's not my thing to pull out one Mekong after another.

10010 Deep Blue Popping/Boat Rod

Our new 8ft 6ins multi-piece Popping/Boat rod is a powerful popping rod, cleverly designed so the 2 top sections fit on to the additional ‘boat rod’ butt section supplied. This converts to a powerful 6ft 4ins boat rod; a perfect combination when travelling overseas and luggage weight is all important and packing down to a convenient 29” (74cm). In its ‘Popping rod’ format this 60-165g (2-6oz) rated rod is capable of taming anything from tail-walking Tarpon, to mighty GT’s heading for the coral! This powerful new rod will easily throw the largest of surface poppers and plugs, but has reserves of power, ready for the unexpected! Lightweight graphite reel seats and quality silicon carbide lined rings throughout. Attach the two top sections to the second butt section supplied and you have a 6ft 4ins 20-30lb class boat rod, ideal for anything from trolling for Kingfish to deep water jigging. Both butt sections fitted with a nylon gimbal fitting

20lb to 30lb would put it around PE1 to PE2.

The PE rating, translating into line thickness, which can be (rightly or wrongly) interpreted as a breaking strain.

I have now decided to go for the deep blue 30/50lb 7' 7" 4 piece, there were some bad reviews concerning the popping rod!

20lb to 30lb would put it around PE1 to PE2.

The PE rating, translating into line thickness, which can be (rightly or wrongly) interpreted as a breaking strain.

I have now decided to go for the deep blue 30/50lb 7' 7" 4 piece, there were some bad reviews concerning the popping rod!

One of my first ever rods was a spinning rod rated 20/40lb, 3-6oz lures. Absolutely ideal. It was 7 ft so it cast a mile. Even at the fairly low rating for thai fishing the rod feels very stiff with lots of back bone. The biggest mekong cats have never phased it so you should be fine.

I used it with a 6500 abu garcia and sometimes a 7000 sized reel before getting a proper conventional rod. Large spinning eyes didn't make any noticable difference.

Hi if it's written 20/30lbs class it mean your max line to load it will be 30lbs line...

As for rod PE-8 will be 70lbs line max so really have to select your rod correctly because rod play a important part of controlling the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

While a PE8 jigging rod can fish 90lbs, the blank is designed to bend parabolically, slow action so it'll feel softer than a PE8 popping rod which is fast action with a quick tip and stiff butt section.

A 30lb popping rod actually feels pretty strong for the Thai fishing.

While a PE8 jigging rod can fish 90lbs, the blank is designed to bend parabolically, slow action so it'll feel softer than a PE8 popping rod which is fast action with a quick tip and stiff butt section.

Are you coming to Cha am in the near future Jack?

Are you coming to Cha am in the near future Jack?

Today I am in beautiful Italy. The weather is a lovely 19 degrees, which is much nicer than the 5 degrees back in England. I should actually be in Thailand for an annual trip in just over 10 days time. I'm not sure if I will get down to cha am but I should certainly try.

I was wondering about converting my spinning rod to a spiral wrap but if I ever try GT fishing it'll be ideal for a stella reel. I'm quite keen to adapt a jigging rod to a spiral wrap as well just for fun. I've done 2 carp rods but I actually have conventional and spinning jigging rods so it's not essential.

IMG_0208.jpg

Hi Jack

Converting a spinning rod ( fixed spool ) to conventional spiral can be done but the only part of the rod usable is the blank as the backbone of the rod would be on the wrong side, better just keep it for the stella,

I have converted conventional rods to spiral many times and thats not so much work, the stripper guide stays where it is then all the other guides have to be rewrapped, spiral wrapped rods i find feel much better under load .. also i find they cast just the same if the guide placement is correct,

The only disadvantage i find with spiral wrap is when some idiot picks your rod up and tries to straighten it upw00t.gif

Hi Jack

Converting a spinning rod ( fixed spool ) to conventional spiral can be done but the only part of the rod usable is the blank as the backbone of the rod would be on the wrong side, better just keep it for the stella,

I have converted conventional rods to spiral many times and thats not so much work, the stripper guide stays where it is then all the other guides have to be rewrapped, spiral wrapped rods i find feel much better under load .. also i find they cast just the same if the guide placement is correct,

The only disadvantage i find with spiral wrap is when some idiot picks your rod up and tries to straighten it upPosted Image

Haven't got a clue what you are on about? Lol

Hi Jack

The only disadvantage i find with spiral wrap is when some idiot picks your rod up and tries to straighten it upw00t.gif

Haven't got a clue what you are on about? Lol

Well i guess if you never tried or seen a spiral wrapped rod i guess you would,nt have a clue, But the basic problem with a conventional rod is when loaded the guides will want to try and turn to the bottom, this means that some of your power is lost by trying to stop the rod turning in your hand,

Also with a spiral wrap there is no need to turn the rod to the direction of the fish...it follows the fish automatic as a spinning rod will.

Edited by tingtongfarang

http://acidrod.com/acidrods.html

I dont get asked to build rods with conventional wrap anymore, its not that i try to convert customers...as zero straight thru wraps are so much easier in regards to guide placement, but most people once they have tried acid or spiral wrap never want to go back,

My rack is full of such rods even down to light lure rods.

Hi Ting tong,

yes I did 2 12 ft rods. On one I did the whole rod with SIC guides and on the other I just changed the first 3 guides to rotate the line through the 180 degrees. They fish great and a lot of the carpers here think my guides are misaligned. They have to do a double take.

With the spinner rod, it's a 2 piece so I could just fish the handle section upside down and then put 3 guides on to bring the line around but I'll keep what I have for now.

I'd never fish regular guides on top now if I ever have the chance for a spiral wrap. It's a great design but it's too much effort to convert all my existing rods.

I'm no pro, I just decided to do the 2 rods so that I could fish carp gear with multipliers. There's certainly sea fishing rods I could use but no shops near me to have a look and feel of them first.

IMG_00000181.jpg

vlcsnap_2013_11_07_12h52m54s130.jpg

Multipliers seem to be more common for freshwater on mainland Europe but not many people fish them here in the UK. Just a few pike anglers with lures. Like the snakehead fishing.

It's just so irritating that a single bite here can take hours if it even happens at all. Not like the 5 to 10 mins at Thai fishing parks. These reservoirs are not even truly wild. They are stocked but I guess waters here just cannot sustain as high a density of fish as Thai waters can. Less sunlight, less plant life, less warmth, less microscopic life and insects etc. Less fish.

Edited by jackinbkk

I'm no pro, I just decided to do the 2 rods so that I could fish carp gear with multipliers. There's certainly sea fishing rods I could use but no shops near me to have a look and feel of them first.

IMG_00000181.jpg

Multipliers seem to be more common for freshwater on mainland Europe but not many people fish them here in the UK. Just a few pike anglers with lures. Like the snakehead fishing.

It's just so irritating that a single bite here can take hours if it even happens at all. Not like the 5 to 10 mins at Thai fishing parks. These reservoirs are not even truly wild. They are stocked but I guess waters here just cannot sustain as high a density of fish as Thai waters can. Less sunlight, less plant life, less warmth, less microscopic life and insects etc. Less fish.

Hi jack

Some years ago for whatever reason i started to drift away from bait n wait fishing, i still go to fishing parks with friends but not often, my last 5-6 visits to fishing parks were amazon places but i get a kick out of these fish on light tackle or the fly rod,

2-3 mornings per week i go out on the bicycle with a light baitcasting setup and a few frogs in the pocket but .. more than 1km away just to get a couple of striped snakeheads for food, apart from that i travel to reservoirs on the hunt for giant snakehead but its a hard day out on a small longtail for 10 hours or more in the sunblink.png

Btw...i notice you like the abu multipliers....i have a 7000 here going free to a good home...maybe needs new drag.

IMG_00000181.jpg

Hi jack

Some years ago for whatever reason i started to drift away from bait n wait fishing, i still go to fishing parks with friends but not often, my last 5-6 visits to fishing parks were amazon places but i get a kick out of these fish on light tackle or the fly rod,

2-3 mornings per week i go out on the bicycle with a light baitcasting setup and a few frogs in the pocket but .. more than 1km away just to get a couple of striped snakeheads for food, apart from that i travel to reservoirs on the hunt for giant snakehead but its a hard day out on a small longtail for 10 hours or more in the sunblink.png

Btw...i notice you like the abu multipliers....i have a 7000 here going free to a good home...maybe needs new drag.

Hi Ting tong,

yeah I absolutely love the Abus. I definately wouldn't say no to a 7000. I nearly bought one about 2 months ago. I can pm you about it.

In that picture you can see I have a little tiny multiplier on a 6ft bass rod i picked up in thailand last time out. The intention was to get a carp on it. Hasn't happened with that little reel but it did with the small rod and the 6500 abu. Fish didn't really go at all. I was hoping it'd make the fishing more exciting as they dont get that big here. The line went out so slow on the clicker that I thought the duck next to my line had got tangled up. Maybe the next one. The long rod I use to cast to the horizon.

I also got a low profile multiplier to fish that rod for the pike here but it seems pike are hard to catch when it's warm. They prefer the winter. Not the nicest time to be outside!

Edited by jackinbkk

Yes the avets are fantastic value for the price and when magged cast like a dream, I still have an sx 6.4 - 2 speed matched with a spiral wrapped rod and love it, but the problem is at bsr for large mehkongs i find it does,nt have enough drag when they try to go under the pier, i still use it for such places as skunar or bueng kwarng ...where there is nowhere for them to go under its suffice,

Quite a while ago i magged an mx or mxj for rob blok and it seems to be his prefured reel at bsr.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Looks good matching rod and reel. I've seen some little raptor sx reels have dual drags at 26lbs max, not a huge amount for that design. The sx single drag isn't that strong which I could imagine being less than ideal at BSR.

I had a good sized fish on at gnao nam and I was able to follow it up and down the lake, Incredibly it kept going to the edges between trees. Seems a bit more intelligent than I'd have given it credit for. smile.png

post-166124-13845586117453_thumb.jpg

Just made this solid rod tube for my new rod which will be here for the 1st December! made from the blue water pipe and end caps, covered in M3 black film! plus a few stickers!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1384558645.912022.jpg

Just made this solid rod tube for my new rod which will be here for the 1st December! made from the blue water pipe and end caps, covered in M3 black film! plus a few stickers!

Nice job, mines just boring blue. Looks pretty good in black smile.png