Will doing this Tefl online course help me with getting a teaching job in LOS?

I write to ask if completing the following online Tefl course will assist me with obtaining a teaching job and work permit in Thailand.....

*link edited out*

Its a 40 hour online course that satisfies the requirements of getting a visa in Indonesia. However, I am interested to know if I could later work legally in Thailand with this course.

I have a Bachelor of Economics and Post Graduate degree in Finance but no teaching qualification.

Please advise if holding all of the above qualifications will allow me to get a work visa in Thailand

thanks

Edited by Scott
Commercial links edited out

The link has been edited out. Links to commercial sites that are not sponsors is not allowed.

As mentioned, you do not need a TEFL for Thailand. If you have a Bachelor's Degree, you will be able to get a provisional teaching license.

• Like 1

I have a TESOL certificate which has helped me get many private and government contracts. I do not have an "education" type degree. I did my course in Bangkok but no one has ever asked where or how I got my certificate... just that I have one.

What I've been told by the school which hired me is that with a bachelors degree in anything I can get a work permit.

I will then need to get a Teaching License from the Thai Council of Teachers, before work permit extensions are possible.

There is a 2 year grace period in order to get the Teaching License.

The Teachers License requires either a degree in education, or a bachelor of anything plus TEFL/TESOL which must be a classroom course. The online courses are no longer recognized.

You must also complete something called Thai Ethics and Culture for Foreign Teachers, which is a three day seminar thing.

This is for a job teaching English in a primary to high school. With your post grad degree things maybe different if teaching at university. But still I think I'd do TEFL in a classroom course.

what country are you from?

If you are from English speaking countries then you can easily get a teaching job without that TEFL especially if you are a good looking person. Schools make you a decoration.

There are some who are not a degree holder but because they are native English speaking people, they got a teaching job.

First of all, don't waste time on any certificate that isn't 120 hours with monitored classroom teaching practice. If you want to have your certificate to be valid in countries that require/pay more for them, do an in class 30 day 120 hours.

"The Teachers License requires either a degree in education, or a bachelor of anything plus TEFL/TESOL which must be a classroom course. The online courses are no longer recognized."

NOT TRUE at all. There is absolutely nothining in the requirements for teacher's license that states that.

The criteria are: license in one's native country, degree in education Bachelor's or Master's, completion of the praxis 1,2.

A TEFL is not and never has been a requirement for visa, work permit or teacher's license in Thailand. It doesn't give you more money, but may help slightly for those that have no experience or qualifications.

To answer your question. The online TEFL doesn't mean anything here. But you might have the chance to find a job at a government school making between 23 and 32 K.

Please check www.ajarn.com

Good luck in the Land of Whys.-wai2.gif

If you are English and of course a native speaker, come to Issan you will get a job yesterday....I am getting peppered with job offers on a weekly basis. I don't need to work at the moment so I refuse the offers I did a class room TEFL in England but nobody is interested in that, I don't think they have ever heard of on line TESOL/ TEFL.....look when these people haven't heard of the BEATLES,the ROLLING STONES, Elvis Presley, Mohamid Ali......I leave in a small village with a catholic church and people go ever sunday when Pope john died a fews back I told the village Catholics the Pope had died, they just gave me a blank look ??? they had never heard of the Pope....this isn't a joke...........come and fill your boots 35-37000 bht a month without breaking a sweat........I know an Irish guy near me he works 3 hours a day with 6-10 years old.....37000 bht a month and hes as bright as a 3 watt bulb....and he like a drink.....he was doing private work on a weekend as well but he kept falling over.....like I say he enjoys a drink or three.......so his weekend work had to stop.....

• Like 1

First of all, don't waste time on any certificate that isn't 120 hours with monitored classroom teaching practice. If you want to have your certificate to be valid in countries that require/pay more for them, do an in class 30 day 120 hours.

"The Teachers License requires either a degree in education, or a bachelor of anything plus TEFL/TESOL which must be a classroom course. The online courses are no longer recognized."

NOT TRUE at all. There is absolutely nothining in the requirements for teacher's license that states that.

The criteria are: license in one's native country, degree in education Bachelor's or Master's, completion of the praxis 1,2.

A TEFL is not and never has been a requirement for visa, work permit or teacher's license in Thailand. It doesn't give you more money, but may help slightly for those that have no experience or qualifications.

As I said, I repeated what the school told me. Obviously misinformed. I can't tell from your criteria whether the commas are "ands" or "ors" What does a person with a degree but not in education do? I know lots with only a BA who have teacher's licenses. Also some people have both suggested and asked me about having the TESL allowing one to forego the praxis tests. Would you mind clarifying for me. Thanks.

, I would appreciate it.

People who have a Bachelor's Degree but not in an education related field, can get a provisional Teaching License, commonly referred to as a waiver. You will have to 'upgrade' the degree to an education degree or pass the exams set by the Teacher's Council.

The waiver is usually good for 2 years and you can get up to 3 waivers. You must be working toward full certification to get each waiver, as I understand it.

I would get a 120 Hour TEFL/TESOL. Not only does it give you insight into teaching in a Thai school it also makes you more marketable. Certs-Certs-Certs.... Also in BKK your degree paves the way. It is almost, notice I said almost, impossible to get a Teaching job in BKK without a degree. Especially the government schools. I didnt mention part time, substituting and the famous tutoring on the side which all are illegal.

Chok Dee