Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

Public Health Ministry to ask govt to collect entry fees from foreigners
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong said Thursday that the government plans to collect entry fees on foreign tourists.

Pradit said he had consulted with other government agencies concerned about the entry fees and a decision would have yet to be made on which agency would be in charge of collecting the fee.

He said foreigners, who stay in the kingdom for more than three days, would be charged Bt500 while those who stay no more than three days would be charged Bt30 a day.

Parts of the fees would be used to compensate medical service costs for foreign tourists, Pradit said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-17

UPDATE:
Extra fees for tourists

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong said yesterday that related agencies were discussing the plan to charge tourists a separate fee for entering the country - possibly Bt500 for a three- to 30-day stay and Bt30 for less than three days. He said once a conclusion is drawn, it will be proposed to the Cabinet.

Since Thailand gets up to 23 million visitors a year, the country could earn as much as Bt10 billion from the extra fee, he said. This money could be sent to the Finance Ministry and a specially assigned committee could allocate it to related agencies including the Public Health Ministry, which spends up to Bt300 million for tourists' healthcare per year. He said if his ministry was given this money, it could allocate up to Bt300,000 per head in life-and-death emergency cases as well as buy more medical tools and supplies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-18

• Like 1

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another example of a first class scam. Going to really enhance the Thai tourist industry.

Is it a case of the Thai economy not being so well as we are told thus a levy on tourists will help shore up the Thai health system?

I am sure the income from this latest scam would not amount to a piddle in the Atlantic ocean. However one wonders what % goes to the puppet masters acolytes though?

• Like 2

Ignoring the morals ,politics te practicalities will be interesting.

I am here long enough to recal distress at Don Muang when 500 Thai baht cash only was the exit tax.

Folks all checkin with $$s etc had to go back and change 500bahts to exit ,this has been added into to tickets at 700 per exit and is itemised on some airlines.Why not make ita grand 1000baht and pass on to MOH

Now the fee is small potatoes if you can afford to fly.

However can you imagine the queues explaining to all ages and language groups the fee.

What if you do not have any baht cash ,ATMs in arrivals ?

Will credit/visa debit cards or $ be acceptable,will receipts be issued cheesy.gif

If they wish to do it and who can blame them add it onto the exit tax,

This has the added benefit of those of us already in wont pay and nor anyone one else having the cheek to die before leaving.

Seriously this needs thinking through.

A corollary may be for low budget Asians and backpackers to fail to purchase adequate cover believing LOS will pay for thembah.gif

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 1

By my estimate, that's going to add a little less than 1% to the cost of a RT cheap seat plane ticket.

Yawn.

If you're already wealthy enough to be covered by private insurance and deep pockets, double yawn.

I just hope they're smart enough to add it to the plane ticket so we don't have to wait in one more line behind a bunch of people griping about the high cost of cheap sex.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Some time ago, there was a thread about the cost of treating foreigners, if I recall correctly. Part of the problem is farangs who are staying in Thailand and then become ill and end up in the hospital for expensive medical attention. Many do not have money or insurance.

The other problem is the many road accidents, including buses, vans and motorcycles. I am not sure who picks up the cost for some of these.

• Like 2