Thai language school-is Walen any good?

Markos22

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.P.

Find someone who has actually learned how to speak a reasonable amount of Thai with Walen. Find out where they studied and with which teachers. Then, observe their lessons to see if it's for you. If you do find said individual, please let us know as I could do with a dose of cold water.

The eyes of the immigration is on a lot of the language schools. I had heard that a few have been shut down, I think one was recently shut down in Phuket.

From my very limited experience Walen has been very helpful with the visa issue and I think they have some credibility with immigration because they are a real school and not a visa factory.

You might want to shy away from a school that is providing visa services even if you are a genuine student. Your going to lose if/when they get closed.

A number of posts have been removed which violate forum rules...several of them. I highly recommend you read up on these:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Especially this one:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

Again more posts have been removed, any more attacks will result in instant bans

Some schools are visa factories. My understanding is that Walen is reputable.

I don't know about the teaching methods, but from what I've heard, you can trust them.

But I think this is about the language schools themselves and not the visa issue.

So you think Walen grows because we have so many unhappy students, something like that?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No it has done well on issuing visas, and some even study as well, but it's largely a convenience rather than effective study. How many of your customers are over 50 when they can get an easy long stay visa another way?

When I was at school a looooooooooooooooooooooong time ago the first thing on entering the classroom was the ''register''. Teacher would call out your name, kid replied ''sir'', he would look to see it was you then tick against your name, if you were not there an X was entered. At the end of term when mum got your school report xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp the attendance was on it, days you were at school against total days in that term.

My point, all these language schools should have a similar set up so immigration can see who is just using the service for ''bogus'' visa's. Any school falsifying attendances in doo doo.

I believe all schools in Pattaya were inspected last week by immigration ,

Yes you have to wonder how long immigration will let people abuse the system.

When I see ads saying ''Unlimited stay in Thailand'' as a lure l wonder why immigration doesn't look at stuff. After all they are increasingly looking at genuine blokes with families in LOS, so l don't understand why more stringent rules are not applied with these schools. Who knows what the set up is . I have my own thoughts. whistling.gif

Depends if immigration is on the school payroll or not.

If they are paid enough, I'm thinking 'forever' is realistic.

Yes you have to wonder how long immigration will let people abuse the system.

When I see ads saying ''Unlimited stay in Thailand'' as a lure l wonder why immigration doesn't look at stuff. After all they are increasingly looking at genuine blokes with families in LOS, so l don't understand why more stringent rules are not applied with these schools. Who knows what the set up is . I have my own thoughts. whistling.gif

Depends if immigration is on the school payroll or not.

If they are paid enough, I'm thinking 'forever' is realistic.

As long as school has actual classes and actual teachers and some form of record keeping of attendance is shown, school would pass immigration check up.

Not sure if schools have to report people who do not show up for any class at all.

Ah ha, that is the question that immigration should think about. whistling.gif

It would be hard to know for immigration, because school which is a visa factory, will make sure all their students have acceptable attendance.

One sure way, i think immigration would really check is see how many students school have at a particular time and see how many can fit into class and how many classes are there.

So basically, if school has 200 students on the books for 1 particular period but has 1 classroom or 1 teacher, it would be impossible to handle all, ie not a legitimate school.

Perhaps the reason why some schools open up more branches to stay in business

Ah ha, that is the question that immigration should think about. whistling.gif

It would be hard to know for immigration, because school which is a visa factory, will make sure all their students have acceptable attendance.

One sure way, i think immigration would really check is see how many students school have at a particular time and see how many can fit into class and how many classes are there.

I know a person who went twice in the year and got his visa.

The 'teachers' would mark 20 present when only 5 were in the class.

Now let me see, 4 classrooms for 20 with teachers 8 lessons a day = 640 students a day, 3200 student lesson hours a week.

What is the supposed minimum attendance? 2x a week?

So at 24k per student per year, 2kbht per student per month, 2000 x 1600 = 3,200,000bht/ month - teachers salaries 50k - 150k for immigration, looks like 3Mbht income for the school a month.

O.P.

Find someone who has actually learned how to speak a reasonable amount of Thai with Walen. Find out where they studied and with which teachers. Then, observe their lessons to see if it's for you. If you do find said individual, please let us know as I could do with a dose of cold water.

I've been going to Walen for a some time already and i'm in class with people who have studied there for several years already and i must say they speak pretty good.

Many people think that just because they go to school they will somehow magically be fluent in a year time.There's no school in this world that will make you speak fluent with 2 lessons a week.Although school can be very helpful,it's all about how much you do your homework and actually study in your own free time.

I also have been going to Walen in Pattaya. I believe many of the negative post are more of a personal feud with the owner than about the school. The teachers all speak english and are for the most part very professional at all times. I like their system that for each 50 minute session they change teachers. They each have slightly different ways of things and I think it tends to reduce the boredom factor.

The teachers will also learn the students abilities as they progress and push you a little more as you learn. For example once you go through the book multiple times they will ask you to keep the book closed and start answering in your own words rather than reading the answer to a question.

I don't need an Ed visa so have no knowledge about that but I see the office staff spends a lot of time dealing with it for others. I haven't heard any complaints from the other students.

I agree with the statement about not becoming fluent by taking a couple of lessons a week but it is certainly possible for someone that works at it on their own time also.

• 3 weeks later...

Wallen is a good school but as all the language schools around Pattaya, they struggle to find/keep the best teachers.

I have tried many schools but the level of commitment of the teacher is very uneven...

I am now at a new school called Language plus pattaya behind Big C, and they do pretty well. Maybe that is the key, try newly opened school and get a free lesson with the teacher.

I've just checked your posts. Two in the space of 35 minutes and the only two you have ever made. Happy to hear that you've found a school that works for you. So how long have they been doing this? And did you say the visa was probably the cheapest in town? How much? Down to 5,000 Baht? I'm sure we will be able to find schools that will do it for that amount soon, maybe even down to 1,500 Baht. Hm....., I don't know what to say. I am happy to see that so many schools promote learning Thai now. Nothing short of amazing. Wish them all the best. The other schools might not be happy if they will undercut their visa price I think. Walen is keeping the same price for years as it is hard to lower the price if you are really teaching students and conduct classes which we do. Selling visas can backfire badly and a few irresponsible schools can destroy visa assistance program that works very well by abusing the system and "selling" visas. Let's hope for the best but if one day this visa option is not available anymore because of the ongoing abuse do not blame Walen!!!

In Topic: Thai language school-is Walen any good?

Today, 14:21

Wallen is a good school but as all the language schools around Pattaya, they struggle to find/keep the best teachers.

I have tried many schools but the level of commitment of the teacher is very uneven...

I am now at a new school called Language plus pattaya behind Big C, and they do pretty well. Maybe that is the key, try newly opened school and get a free lesson with the teacher.

In Topic: Which Schools In Pattaya Offer Ed Visas?

Today, 13:46

This is overdue, but I would recommend a new school located behind Big C extra called Language plus pattaya.

Their staff is very kind, visa are very cheap, probably the cheapest in town, and on top of that they care about your improvement.

I started with 50hours intensive reading and writing course, and I still can t believe I can read my textbook in Thai now!

If that can help...

It is spelled Walen not Wallen. Thank you.

Mac Walen, do you have any problems with newbies posting 2 times in 30 minutes? is that something that keeps you awake at night?

You seem to get a little worked up over this topic so take it easy please.

I am not here to bash Walen, or any other schools, just sharing my experience

Well, I had done my little market survey before choosing that school in particular, and in this Ed Visa jungle, you sometimes have to read between the lines.

In the end, what really matters to me was to get a decent teacher and a method that allows me to improve my language skills, if on top of that the price is reasonable, then I m in.

And yes, I think that all those unscrupulous schools will eventually milk the business dry, but I won t be here to see that so I couldn't care less. So,

Don't hate the players, hate the game. Word.

As you say, you could not care less but others do. They would like to study and stay in Thailand longer so it is in the best interest for those involved to not abuse the system.

I have these conversations in TV forums for years so a newbie posting doest not bother me at all. Just did not these were genuine posts. Maybe you work for that school and just pretend to be a student, who knows. Or you were asked to write those promotional posts, I don't know. You can inform them that they can also advertise on Thai Visa, we need sponsors to keep this website going, how about that? Perhaps they are not aware of this advertising opportunity.

I have never met Mr. Walen, but the next time I'm in Thailand I hope to.

He has been around a long time and has been successful. I like to know successful men.

There is no doubt in my mind that if nothing else he is very smart and I want to know what he has to offer.

I made my own success in life by hanging around the smartest and most successful people I could find. Where else are you going to learn the ropes?

I have a hunch that for the right student, Mr. Walen could teach a lot more than Thai or English. I think that most people let that idea go right over their heads.

Is Walen any good you ask?

I would have went there to learn Thai if i hadn't seen some of their English teachers wearing tracksuit bottoms with business shirts. It put me off a little bit.

Nothing like judging a book by it's cover. This is the sort of stuff a lot of people criticize Thailand about -- style over substance.

• 2 weeks later...

Walen could be the best school on planet Earth but if the student does not study well then they are just throwing their money away. If I wanted to study Thai and was not in Chiang Mai, I would go to Walen.

True, you can get a visa from it and it's also safer to get a visa from Walen than to get one from getting married. But do yourself a favor and be a good student. Which means, go to class on time, do all your homework on time, and practice outside of class too.

I would like to add my own view and experiences on " Language schools & The ED Visa ".I have an education visa and to be honest i " shopped around " for the best deal. It seems to be a " competitive business " Prices are from 17,000 baht a year. Most schools will offer you a free " 1 hour class " so you can see for yourself before you " sign up ".I would " STRONGLY RECOMMEND " that you do so.The problem i have found with a lot of the schools ( expensive & cheap ) is that the " Thai teaching " is very different to " my idea of teaching ". Unfortunately they a trained to teach " using a book " 100 percent of the time ( robot style ) I have witnessed very little " fun " in the classroom.I respect completely the Thai customs and religion as i am living in there wonderful country.But this " shy reserved " approach to teaching just doesn't seem to work! I was in Bangkok a few months back and met an " Thai retired teacher " (great guy!) and i asked him " what makes a good teacher ? " and his reply:

" A GOOD TEACHER TEACHES WITH THERE PERSONALITY - A BAD TEACHER TEACHES FROM A BOOK "

So if you are thinking of signing up for some " Thai lessons " then please go along and sample there " free lesson " and find a teacher that makes it " fun to learn "

Kind respect to All.

Walen has significantly more branches and more students than any competitor. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You promote the quantity over quality approach?

I try this with my wife

I would like to add my own view and experiences on " Language schools & The ED Visa ".I have an education visa and to be honest i " shopped around " for the best deal. It seems to be a " competitive business " Prices are from 17,000 baht a year. Most schools will offer you a free " 1 hour class " so you can see for yourself before you " sign up ".I would " STRONGLY RECOMMEND " that you do so.The problem i have found with a lot of the schools ( expensive & cheap ) is that the " Thai teaching " is very different to " my idea of teaching ". Unfortunately they a trained to teach " using a book " 100 percent of the time ( robot style ) I have witnessed very little " fun " in the classroom.I respect completely the Thai customs and religion as i am living in there wonderful country.But this " shy reserved " approach to teaching just doesn't seem to work! I was in Bangkok a few months back and met an " Thai retired teacher " (great guy!) and i asked him " what makes a good teacher ? " and his reply:

" A GOOD TEACHER TEACHES WITH THERE PERSONALITY - A BAD TEACHER TEACHES FROM A BOOK "

So if you are thinking of signing up for some " Thai lessons " then please go along and sample there " free lesson " and find a teacher that makes it " fun to learn "

Kind respect to All.

Best reply in this topic.

I 100% agree with this. If your bored, you tend to sleepwalk through the lessons, and never learn anything.

Walen has significantly more branches and more students than any competitor. Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You promote the quantity over quality approach?

I try this with my wife

That is certainly not the case with Walen. Saying that empty schools have better quality of teaching because they have few students is not right either. Wouldn't you agree?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived