Thai language school-is Walen any good?

Markos22

Off-topic posts have been deleted along with replies. The topic is about the Thai language school and whether or not it is any good. It is not about general commentary about a particular business model or your personal thoughts on the staff.

This is in the education forum. That is what needs to be addressed.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found Walen quite ok. I learned with them for most part of last year until I had to move to a different part of the country where they have no school yet. The teachers have been mixed. While some followed the book strictly we had others which followed it but explained more and made excursions. I think it depends what someone is looking for and I can only recommend everyone to sit in and listen at more then one school. Not every school and school system is the best for everyone. Otherwise there would be only one school.

Walen is one of the biggest in Thailand. I guess this is why they have are always named. Yes they offer ed-visas, like all other schools. It is up to each person to attend school and for those who are misusing the visa they should know it gets tougher. I gave been asked by immigration, during renewal, what I am able to understand and say in Thai. Furthermore there was a student in class, which had to go to do a text with immigration as otherwise her visa would revoked. She did not attended school at all. So tough luck.

Again the ed visa is a good thing for people, which like to learn Thai. The school is assisting to get it, but it is up to everyone to attend the class.

Does Walen make it a bit easier then others? Most likely as the attendance record keeping is not the best. This is something they should work on.

Just my thoughts on that topic.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My ‘vested interest’ is in helping you see the silliness of your position.

There’s no reason to be pompous about it. But, I suppose you could take pride in your country’s visa education procedures.

However, immigration agencies are usually more concerned with people not returning home after their student visa expires. That problem also exists with other types of visas. Good grades and low absence rates are not a high priority in the big scheme of things.

Try to overcome your petty jealousy and look at this from other perspectives. The schools need the business. And serious students need the schools.

My vested interest is in helping you see the silliness of your position.

Theres no reason to be pompous about it. But, I suppose you could take pride in your countrys visa education procedures.

However, immigration agencies are usually more concerned with people not returning home after their student visa expires. That problem also exists with other types of visas. Good grades and low absence rates are not a high priority in the big scheme of things.

Try to overcome your petty jealousy and look at this from other perspectives. The schools need the business. And serious students need the schools.

This seems like a marketing post to me. Good grades and low absence rates are not a priority? That would suggest its a visa front

I would assume that full time attendance or at least 25 hours per week would be a pre requisite for an ed visa. They have historically been abused in other countries, and that's been clamped down on. I think this loophole will be looked at soon enough.

I hate to burst your comfy little bubbles. I'm a retiree. But, I've paid my dues in front of the classroom.

However, I might start a school/clinic for foreigners addicted to pompous assumptions, content-free generalizations, and indignant righteousness. tongue.png

snot... - My comment about good grades refers to a government's perspective. Obviously, it is a priority for academia.

PS: I do think Walen is a good school. And it fills a real need.

Off-topic and troll posts have been removed along with replies. If you wish to discuss the ethics of eligibility for a visa in Thailand, I suggest you try posting in the Visa forum, although I suspect it will be considered trolling and shut down. It certainly has little to do with education.

Oh, and as an aside, of the people I know who have taken Thai language courses, none of them were on an education visa. All were employed and learning Thai because they were living in Thailand. I would venture to guess that returning to your home country to take a Thai language course would probably leave speaking Thai as well as many Thais speak English after learning it in Thailand.

Stay on the topic or you will be given a formal warning.

School staff did not educate me on ed visa application, now i have screwed myself as I was only given single entry and I need multiple entry.

Now I need to get papers from the school again and make another painful trip to Laos

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That visa can be extended and you can get a reentry permit. It is a standard procedure. There is no multiple enrty ED visas issued in neighboring countries.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

School staff did not educate me on ed visa application, now i have screwed myself as I was only given single entry and I need multiple entry.

Now I need to get papers from the school again and make another painful trip to Laos

As far as I know you will not receive a multiple entry ed visa but you can get a multiple re-entry permit at the immigration office or at the airport. The multiple rs-entry permit is valid as long as your visa. Just make sure you mention it during immigration. At Suvarnabhumi you will need to do it at the booth before immigration. At Don Mueang right after (if they have not changed it).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

Been to Wallen school Bangkok this morning to my astonishment, the staff was very rude and unhelpfull things has changed since 2011.

I did not have that experience. Did 30 lessons and enjoyed it.

Did you not get the respect you deserve?

OB

I messaged Walen in skype yesterday. Do you still login to skype?

1. Do you have any schools near lamai?

If not, can you recommend a school near lamai?

I plan to be around the lamai area with my dad in December. He is going to get a retirement visa and I would like to go to school near where he is staying, and I don't necessarily trust myself on the roads enough to go long distances.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of things to consider when you join a school

1. The method - each school will have a different method and you should check out a free class and see if the method is for you. For some Walen will be a wonderful school with how they are structured and how they teach for others it will not be for them.

2. The teacher - Teacher makes a big difference is she/he correcting tones, good examples, involving the class or is she/he just listening to your crappy thai and saying its fine

3. The Class- the class you enter can make a difference, are the students willing to learn or do you got a bunch of guys that barely show up, are all different skill levels and so forth

4. Dont just rely on the school itself --- I am a firm believer if you think a Thai course will make you learn Thai on its own you are in serious trouble unless you are just one of those dudes that can instantly pick up a language, outside of school you should be studying on your own, listening to thai music, tv, and speaking it all the time to actual thais, immersing yourself in it is key, the schools are good to get the basics and the structure but dont rely on it

As for Walen I went for a bit but just didnt enjoy the system, the school itself was fine and I can see it would be useful to many that can relate to their method of teaching. I did go to Pro Language after and had a good class, but the next year pro language at least in Pattaya turned into a sales pitch, it seemed like I was constantly talking to car salesmen which made me not sign up for a second year and tried out PLC that were less aggresive but I was in a class of about 8 people and in one month I was the only one left...... Pattaya is tough to learn at school as you say many people are there for the visa or perhaps think they will learn but quickly give up in a month or two.... I recently moved to a non party city and been checking oout schools and been going to one, surprising the students seem to go all the time and are willing to learn, i think my Thai will improve a lot this year thanks to it.

• 2 weeks later...

So what are the best schools for more intensive course structures? Many seem to only have 4 hours a week

The Chula Intensive Thai Program is 3h per day, 5 days per week.

AUA has flexible classes so that you can take as many or as few each day as you like

Walen has a mixture of packages available, from 3h per day 5 days per week. There's a link below to the various options on their website

http://www.thaiwalen.com/en/Thai_Language_Prices/

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i didnt take the time to read through all the messages

I was in this situation about 8 months ago. There are things I dont like about Walen but honestly I had a good experience. Everyone was very helpful when I had a question about a visa and when I asked questions. There were a couple of teachers that could of done better and been more empathetic. Although, I think they deal with a pretty good bit of losers coming through the alphabet course not doing crap.

Thai is a language that you will have to do a lot of studying on your own and find your own pattern of learning the alphabet. As well as immerse yourself for expressive language. NO school in Thailand is going to make u fluent. I am in no way associated with Walen other than going to school there. I am leaving because of a job elsewhere but overall I was satisfied. You gotta learn that shit nowadays, when you get to your visa extension, they will talk to you in thai and ask you questions. So if you dont go to class or complain about attendance.. We are all adults here, what is your motive for going to school? Find your way of learning the language and go to class. class is basically there to guide and repetition. You have to study every day. If you want 1-1 , then pay the baht. Otherwise, move out of your farang circle and try to talk thai and study.

Does anybody have any experience of learning Mandarin at the Walen school or could recommend another?

Also, the Walen website is very comprehensive but I'm finding the pricing a bit confusing...

If 200 group lessons are $933 ($840 promotional price) & "The ED visa paperwork and the visa extension paperwork are complimentary" then why is a package with 200 group lessons & "Preparing documents required for obtaining a 6 month student visa (ED)" combined $1497? Same with 400 lessons $1685 vs $2694 & the 1 year student visa.

What's the approx $250 charge per 90 days for?

to be honest, when I first joined the school, I was mortified at to why I needed to learn the alphabet of Thai as I wanted to learn how to speak and not write and spell in Thai.

However, I went with the flow to learn the alphabets and consonants.

3 months after, I find myself immersing in the reading of Thai words, though my spoken Thai is still bad.

Walen has both good and bad teachers, as per other schools for sure.
The book's content suck bait, but the overall experience there has been relatively good.

to be honest, when I first joined the school, I was mortified at to why I needed to learn the alphabet of Thai as I wanted to learn how to speak and not write and spell in Thai.

However, I went with the flow to learn the alphabets and consonants.

3 months after, I find myself immersing in the reading of Thai words, though my spoken Thai is still bad.

Walen has both good and bad teachers, as per other schools for sure.

The book's content suck bait, but the overall experience there has been relatively good.

agree, overall experience good but you would think there would be better options for books..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend going to Walen in Bkk. I will ask her about passbook.

Do they stamp attendance?

If they require 75% actually attendance then 75% of their students will not get their next extension.

They dun stamp. U are required to get a teacher's signature.

Many students are now in alphabet class.

I believe many are coming to attend lessons now! LOL

Archived