Thai language school-is Walen any good?

Markos22

hello MacWalen! I hope you still visit the forum and will reply. I found this forum and topic just by chance and sorry if I cant contact you here directly. but anyway I decided because don't know what really to do. well im a Russian student of Walen school at Sukhumvit branch. the problem is that I went to Laos and didn't get the visa this time on September 18th. it was some mistake on one page so they gave me only turist 60 days visa. we called from the embassy and the staff seemed like didn't want to talk. after I send emails and no answer. then after I came back I called and was told to wait an email. ok so after 1 week nothing. I actually didn't want to talk to the staff anymore because I was let down not once and just didn't claim. I wanted them to arrange a meeting with the boss but seems they don't want to do it and just avoid me. so please what can I do in this situation?

very hopping for your reply

thank you

Elena

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went Walen school and it was sooooo boring!

every class was exactly the same.... the "teacher" would read from the book and we would repeat.... the teacher reads, we repeat.... every lesson boring!

I left after a few months as I couldn't stand the teaching method, although we were never taught anything and the teacher never explained anything!....

the teacher just reads from the book and we repeat... the teacher just reads from the book and we repeat.... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and it's probably one of the most expensive at 25000 baht, and you have to pay for all your books and audio files which are about 500 baht a level

I've heard bad things said about a lot of the language schools, so my advice would be to pick one of the cheaper ones, a friend of mine is paying about 18000 baht for his school

But I think they have a very large staff about processing visas and they mark immigration attendance reports with perfect attendance making. extension easy.

No need to attend any class.

The classes are generally small since only 20% of students ever show up to class.

Because of their method, anybody that can read Thai can teach the class. Easy for any teacher to continue reading the book.

The teacher there know most students pay for classes to get a visa and learning Thai is a very distant 2nd.

A school that depends on quality of learning instead of visas might be a better option (although possible for any school to be able to teach you)

Were you serious about wanting to learn Thai?

I went to demo lesson and I have a friend attending (sometimes).

Not teaching conversation.

Maybe not understand the question but can read the answer from the book.

The book is random boring vocabulary.

But efficient about processing paperwork for visas.

I went to demo lesson and I have a friend attending (sometimes).

Not teaching conversation.

Maybe not understand the question but can read the answer from the book.

The book is random boring vocabulary.

But efficient about processing paperwork for visas.

Yes they no longer have any teachers teaching real stuff outta the book.

Real pity...

I've never been to a school to learn Thai I taught myself.

Seems some are quick to criticise Walen .

And constructive criticism is welcome.

But outright attacks are not.

as has been said he's got a lot of schools and students.

Si he must be doing something right.

I've never been to a school to learn Thai I taught myself.

Seems some are quick to criticise Walen .

And constructive criticism is welcome.

But outright attacks are not.

as has been said he's got a lot of schools and students.

Si he must be doing something right.

I don't think people are quick to attack Wallen if they have been there, why can't they have an opinion about the place, apart from a positive one? Of course he is doing something right in that he gets a lot of customers who want to stay here via the visa method, that in no way reflects on the quality of the teaching. Good luck to the bloke if he's making money, but lets not pretend it's a good way to learn Thai because it is not and the teachers are not actually qualified teachers.

The sukhumvit branch in Thailand probably has many many students enrolled in their educational visa service.

Great marketing department, professional website, large staff signing up clients and processing visa applications.

But small teaching staff.

Amazing this can be done with 3 small classrooms, no classes Tuesday and Thursday night or weekends and 3-10 students per classroom.

Based on the size and number of classrooms and actual Thai teachers I would assume it is a small school.

Even after paying for classes it appears the majority of students feel its not with their time to attend.

I think an interesting rule for issuing visas would be a maximum 50% of students receiving visas.

The rest must come solely for the quality and value of the education.

Are the only people interested in learning Thai are people who need visas to remain in the country?

If schools were required to provide enough quality to attract 50% non-visa would close down any visa farm school.

I really like the Waalen teaching method. You really learn to pronounce the words exactly, because all the time you will repeat and work at the pronunciation. The vokabulary are actually booring for daily conversation, but make sense if you learn how to write every vokabulary in thai. This pushed me to a higher level and now learning new vokabulary and also daily conversation is very easy.

The teacher corrected me many times - I think it depends a lot to the teacher and also to let them know, that you want to learn it correctly. But I also recordet (my girlfriend did this) the vokabulary to my Anki Deck, that I can learn at home too.

Yes she corrects me too from time to time. But she is working all day and the time we have together I want to use for other things. Going to a school and see other students who have the same problems with learning a new language is fun too. I like the mix of all. In Waalen school I like too, that the teachers change all the time.

Probably a different thread but responding to your comment.

I have had extremely poor luck getting a Thai girl to speak Thai with me.

They want to improve their English (dinner and s#x is a bonus)

When I ask them to teach me the standard response is "you should learn in school, same as me" or "I'm not a teacher"

I just got confirmation from my friend attending Walen.

Students now have a book that the teacher signs after each lesson.

Maybe they will get a special person to sign books for students that don't come to class.

If people are getting visas based on studying just to stay here .and work in some cases.

Then that will have a detrimental effect on the people who genuinely want to study.

We had/have this in UK .Where people do the same and ukba have their hits here and there .

RE criticism .

People have the right to share their thoughts on any school.

Mr walan should be happy to hear all people's views.

That way he can improve where he's going wrong and correct it.

To be a better business

I have a friend going to Walen in Bkk. I will ask her about passbook.

Do they stamp attendance?

If they require 75% actually attendance then 75% of their students will not get their next extension.

I see you are an expert, as a matter of fact attendance is very good at Walen. Also immigration is happy with the way we run the school, I am pretty sure most Walen School students will get their next extension. People may differ in their opinions about our teaching system but you hardly every hear complaints about visa relates issues for Walen students. When it comes to the ED visa assistance for students Walen School is the very best in Thailand. It is a fact.

I sat in on the free trial lessons at both Walen and Pro Language. Personally I prefer Pro Language and will sign up for a beginner class in Jan. BTW, I already have a retirement Visa, so not interested in an Ed Visa.

Was it because the competitors use transliteration and Walen does not? That is usually the case. Many students don't care about being literate and want to read Thai using Latin letters, that is a wrong way of teaching Thai, I am totally convinced of that. The best way is to start with the Thai alphabet. It takes a bit longer bit later your progress is much faster.

Walen School - doing it the right way.

Any school to teach you is only as good as the teacher in front of you.

And the amount of effort the student is willing to make.

The teaching system used is very important, not just the individual teaching ability of teachers.

As a current student I would fully agree that learning the alphabet was beneficial towards my learning and understanding of thai language and the tones.

However, the quality of some of the teachers are.... Crappy...

They teach like parrots and make us parrots...

Really also need to depend on oneself to pick up the language fast.

The teaching system used is very important, not just the individual teaching ability of teachers.

This is a very important point the teaching ability of the teachers. Are any of them actually qualified teachers, if so what are the qualifications. If you have ever been into a Thai School many have all the teachers qualifications up on the wall, how long they have taught and even how much they get paid, I think that is something to be admired, it's being honest and open for all to see. When it comes to the method learning the alphabet is better, but repeat after me from people who are not really qualified teachers is certainly not.

This is a very important point the teaching ability of the teachers. Are any of them actually qualified teachers, if so what are the qualifications. If you have ever been into a Thai School many have all the teachers qualifications up on the wall, how long they have taught and even how much they get paid, I think that is something to be admired, it's being honest and open for all to see. When it comes to the method learning the alphabet is better, but repeat after me from people who are not really qualified teachers is certainly not.

It's all very lovely having qualifications and other ponsy certificates on the wall but it means nothing!

I have been in classrooms watching Thais teach ( nothing to do with our friend Mr Walen ) the teaching is generally terrible,boring and they use books & boards 99 percent of the time.To teach you need a personality and it must be fun but this "reserved attitude " in the classroom just doesn't work! F.J x

That's all very well but a degree in education, even here, is more help than somebody who used to work at 7/11. If you noticed a previous posters comment who goes to Walen he describes some teachers as 'crappy'. You do not need a personality to teach, it's not entertainment, you need knowledge and experience, and hopefully qualifications- that's what they are for. Would you let an unqualified surgeon operate on you if he had the right 'personality'?

That's all very well but a degree in education, even here, is more help than somebody who used to work at 7/11. If you noticed a previous posters comment who goes to Walen he describes some teachers as 'crappy'. You do not need a personality to teach, it's not entertainment, you need knowledge and experience, and hopefully qualifications- that's what they are for. Would you let an unqualified surgeon operate on you if he had the right 'personality'?

Lol a surgeon with a personality is hardly the same thing!

A good teacher is a person who can walk into a room and entertain a group of people completely on the spot like " an after dinner speaker " with no props and can have the audience feeding out of his/her hand ( books & boards should be used only some of the time )

I actually used to know somebody who did that to find out if people had it in them to teach ( most could not and were politely shown the door.....)

In my experience in " Learning Thai in Language Schools in Thailand " and i have gone in " as a fly on the wall " viewers...

The most important ingredient is " FUN " But in Thailand they don't seem to understand that and they teach in a serious way.( i am not a serious person and love to fool about 24/7 ( you may have noticed...) but i went to one language school a while back and it was so boring that i literally " fell as sleep " in the classroom! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Farang Jaidee facepalm.gif ( feeling a bit dozy just thinking about it ....)

"A good teacher is a person who can walk into a room and entertain a group of people completely on the spot like " an after dinner speaker " with no props and can have the audience feeding out of his/her hand ( books & boards should be used only some of the time )
I actually used to know somebody who did that to find out if people had it in them to teach ( most could not and were politely shown the door."

Where did you get your Masters in Education?

Oh, you didn't so you are just talking out of your butt again.

Why don't actually read about educational theory, linguistic theory, and second language acquisition before you spot out all of your expertise.

Working is a holiday for a diligent person.

Learning is fun, you don't need to have clowns teaching if you are really interested in learning.

since the best Thai you can come up with is farang jai dee. I doubt that I will listen to your advice on where to study Thai. Perhaps learning boom boom Thai works for you but most people serious in living here actually want to talk with proper people.

Archived