Thai language school-is Walen any good?

Markos22

It will be interesting if immigration puts enough pressure on schools to report actual attendance on the immigration attendance report forms then many of the highly advertised get a one year visa schools will suffer greatly. Schools are possibly making millions per month on student only wanting visas.

People seeking long term visas will not object to the increased cost the schools are asking but if attendance and learning is required then I predict a significant majority will choose other methods.

Why doesn't immigration just check student enrollment and facility schedule to quickly assess if the school can reasonable teach the registered students.

Some amazingly uninformed assumptions posted as facts in this post.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pro Language is telling students to expect only 30 days, *not* 90, when doing a checkin. What is really insane, is that after taking a test at the checkin, the Ministry of Education has to mail back your test results.. which takes about... wait for it... 30 days. Leaving *no* time to even make your next checkin.

Are other school reporting this? This has been going on at Pro Language for over a month now.

Pro Language is telling students to expect only 30 days, *not* 90, when doing a checkin. What is really insane, is that after taking a test at the checkin, the Ministry of Education has to mail back your test results.. which takes about... wait for it... 30 days. Leaving *no* time to even make your next checkin.

Are other school reporting this? This has been going on at Pro Language for over a month now.

many walen students have got 60 days. apparently the news out there amongst students is that the school is on some blacklist.

I believe Pro Language is also on the blacklist

many walen students have got 60 days. apparently the news out there amongst students is that the school is on some blacklist.

I believe Pro Language is also on the blacklist

Not sure where you get this kind of stuff but Walen is certainly not on a blacklist. Immigration gives 60 or 90 days extensions as it seems they are still figuring out what to do as there are a lot of students on ED visas and they are not as friendly as they used to be. It may change for better in the near future, certainly nothing to do with the Walen school, we have good relations with the immigration.

I signed up with Walen in Pattaya in September 2013.

My need was 2 fold. I wanted the Ed visa so I could stay in Thailand 'easily'. But I also want to learn Thai. The staff were extremely helpful, told me exactly what was required of me (cost, documents, passport size pics, etc) and basically gave me papers and said sign here.

The whole process was completely painless.

Living in Kut Chap, I chose Walen, because I can do the course using Skype. Skype isn't perfect as some of the Thai vowels and consonants really need 1 to 1 tutoring.

However, I use the Walen lessons to supplement my own learning. Some of which is done online (lots of YouTube mini lessons available for free) and some with the Thai family I live with.

I started the Skype classes mid November and am extremely happy with the teachers and the mix of abilities that are in my 'class'.

The English spoken by the teachers thus far has been very good or excellent. And they are very patient.

From my experience, definitely a thumbs up for Walen.

So does using Skype qualify as a means of attending class? How much real physical presence is required? Using Skype doesn't seem to match up with what the Thai officials are saying about class and school attendance.

So does using Skype qualify as a means of attending class? How much real physical presence is required? Using Skype doesn't seem to match up with what the Thai officials are saying about class and school attendance.

Skype lessons do not qualify for the ED visa. Now in most locations it's 200 lessons in 6 months, it used to be 200 for one year, so the number of lessons have doubled.

Walen has a lot of customers because he spends money on advertising instead of paying his teachers. Their Thai teachers seem to turn over a lot because they make peanuts and their bored, annoyed attitude at teaching shows. Anyone can learn from anywhere if their motivated, but it seems Walen is the Walmart of education visa schools. There all over, but they don;t do much.

Walen has a lot of customers because he spends money on advertising instead of paying his teachers. Their Thai teachers seem to turn over a lot because they make peanuts and their bored, annoyed attitude at teaching shows. Anyone can learn from anywhere if their motivated, but it seems Walen is the Walmart of education visa schools. There all over, but they don;t do much.

post-231131-14249162485525_thumb.jpg

Walen School has a great many satisfied customers all over Thailand. It is not always easy to teach foreigners Thai as some have bad attitude towards their studies and teachers.

attachicon.gifWalleys_600.jpg

Hostile this is very funny, I like it. Additional help in advertising is always welcome. I now also teach investing online, I wonder what people will be saying about that. Hostile, you are welcome to help me with advertising my investing course too. It's only 1,197 USD per year promotion.

post-46756-0-85296900-1424969628_thumb.j

Walen School has a great many satisfied customers all over Thailand. It is not always easy to teach foreigners Thai as some have bad attitude towards their studies and teachers.

What's up with Phuket branch? You closing down? Heard not much people left there? Since you're prices went up and other schools prices pretty much stayed the same..?

What's up with Phuket branch? You closing down? Heard not much people left there? Since you're prices went up and other schools prices pretty much stayed the same..?

You are right that there is not a lot of business in Phuket, we follow the law and most other schools are cheating and just selling visas. I cannot play that game.

not many recommendations for walen. wonder why they are still around..

William that is not hard to guess. It is obvious that people that are happy write positive reviews less than those who are for one reason or another not fully satisfied or don't like us. This is the answer. We are still around because Walen is a good school.

not many recommendations for walen. wonder why they are still around..

What a load of BS. There have been quite a number of positive posts from Walen students.

I went to Walen off and on over a two year period because I wanted to learn Thai, not because I needed an ED visa since I live here full time already. I had a couple of teachers I didn't care for but I mostly had excellent teachers. I learned to speak with proper pronunciation and also how to read Thai. It was well worth the money.

attachicon.gifWalleys_600.jpg

Hostile this is very funny, I like it. Additional help in advertising is always welcome. I now also teach investing online, I wonder what people will be saying about that. Hostile, you are welcome to help me with advertising my investing course too. It's only 1,197 USD per year promotion.
U forgot to add Results guaranteed

MacWalen post # 241.

Yes, I should add that. If students follow my teaching they will have guaranteed results.

Speaks volumes concerning the matter as it seems that by your reply you follow the Thai school teachers dogma.

No-one failswhistling.gif

Not really, I am just a good teacher. If I teach you investing and you follow the teaching then you will become a successful investor. It is this simple.

You can teach how to open trading acc. And buy sell shares. But u cant guarantee someone will make money. Investing is a gambling.

MacWalen post # 243.

Not really, I am just a good teacher. If I teach you investing and you follow the teaching then you will become a successful investor. It is this simple.

Well if it's so easy why are you touting for trade here when according to that which you state you should be as rich as Croesus .

No need to be flogging the virtues of a language school or an investment course is there ?

money-graphics-2002_842187a.jpg .

MacWalen post # 243.

Well if it's so easy why are you touting for trade here when according to that which you state you should be as rich as Croesus .

No need to be flogging the virtues of a language school or an investment course is there ?

money-graphics-2002_842187a.jpg .

Maybe you're too good or smart for what Walen is 'flogging'. But, you really need to get some help for your bitterness and jealousy issues.

rijb post # 246.

,Maybe you're too good or smart for what Walen is 'flogging'. But, you really need to get some help for your bitterness and jealousy issues.

I do not have to work for my living my/our money is already made both in the U.K and here too.Nor do I promote my self business wise or as a financial expert unlike some

So if you think you are able to contribute your wisdom to me and others too regarding that which you think you know about me and my life please do so.

Bitterness, jealousy ?

I think you should look a little more closely in the mirror , be careful though you may not like that which you see looking back at you

Investing is a gambling.

Hostile, sorry mate, but you talk utter nonsense. Investing is certainly not gambling. I think you talked to some wrong people. If I teach you, you will become profitable throughout your entire life. I know there are guys that say they will teach you in Starbucks and you are welcome to join them, but if you would like to learn how professionals do it, you are welcome to join the investing course. I may have a bit of an accent but it does not mean I am stupid. Many fall for that.

Walen Schoo of Investing - let's make some money!

MacWalen post # 243.

siampolee, has it crossed your mind that for almost 14 year I have been a teacher in this beautiful country and despite making millions of dollars I still teach and therefore I might just love what I do? that is sharing precious knowledge. It is not all about the money mate.

Walen School of Investing - benefit yourself for the rest of your wonderful life!

Archived