The One that Didn’t Get Away: Brit bags an ugly monster on Krabi

webfact

The One that Didn’t Get Away: Brit bags an ugly monster on Krabi
By Coconuts Bangkok

fish_0.jpg?itok=eZnQrIvx

KRABI: -- It took 25 minutes to land this giant load of carp, but Keith WIlliams’ reel-big-fish story may land him in the record books.

Visiting from Surrey, England, Williams caught this sea monster at a fishing resort in Krabi.

Not a bad gift for a guy visiting the kingdom to celebrate his 56th birthday [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/18/one-didnt-get-away-brit-bags-ugly-monster-krabi

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-18

Ugly? Monster? It's a fish. The ugly monsters are the macho scumbags murdering innocent animals. I sure hope it was a catch and release situation. That fish survived this long. It surely deserves to live out its life in peace.

That's a condition at most or all of these lakes you must let them go back.

Ugly monster!! what a nutter. It is a world record carp (common carp) 137 lbs 7 Oz. People spend there lives in the UK trying to break the 40 lbs mark. SEA MONSTER!!! what a crack pot. Carp are fresh water fish. Keep clicking the links and you get the Thai article which is very good, then coconuts which is bad and then this which is terrible.

When we were young we used to catch fish and eat them. . . When I got older we also went out and caught fish and ate them.

When I was older still I got a job on a tuna boat and we poled big tuna out of the sea for others to eat them.

That's nature. I never liked the way a well fed cat would torture a mouse to death purely for its own pleasure.

I don't understand this.

I agree its a pity the headline did not lead us to something more interesting, amusing or enlightening than two over fed pommie yokels

enjoying the torture of innocent critters. Yep. Its a strange world.

I believe that the fish is trapped in a large pond belonging to the resort and they let it go after catching it. So the poor bastard could be caught and released many times in its life.

In a few months, once the fish has grown a bit bigger, I suppose they can claim a "new record".

Are there no rules?

Like should it not be a naturally occurring species caught in a river or a large natural lake?

Not simply raised in a fishing pond to be fished?

Just seems like a bit of a cheat to claim a world record this way.

• Like 1

Methinks that Photoshop had a hand in this!

No jthis is at Gillhams a great fishing lake where the fish are treated great. Catch and release the fish arent even allowed to be taken out onto the banks of the lake. All pictures must be done in the water. After pictures disinfectant is sprayed on the fish its wounds (if any).

I will be fishing there for 3 days in November with my father and brother. Its a great place one of the nicest lakes in Thailand but pricey, you pay around 5000bt a day to fish there.

Edited by robblok

No jthis is at Gillhams a great fishing lake where the fish are treated great. Catch and release the fish arent even allowed to be taken out onto the banks of the lake. All pictures must be done in the water. After pictures disinfectant is sprayed on the fish its wounds (if any).

I will be fishing there for 3 days in November with my father and brother. Its a great place one of the nicest lakes in Thailand but pricey, you pay around 5000bt a day to fish there.

For 5,000thb a day per head, that fish should be sporting some Mr. T style gold.

post-92090-0-46469200-1382153334_thumb.g

For 5,000thb a day per head, that fish should be sporting some Mr. T style gold.

attachicon.gifmr-t.gif

Fishing is big business many people are willing to pay the prices there are even lakes that are more expensive. Personally I like Gillhams a lot it is beautiful there and they have huge fish and treat them better as any lake I have ever seen.

But I would not have gone if it was not for my dad, I can afford it but i feel its a bit too expensive. But dad likes to go so I join him.

• Like 1

Ugly monster!! what a nutter. It is a world record carp (common carp) 137 lbs 7 Oz. People spend there lives in the UK trying to break the 40 lbs mark. SEA MONSTER!!! what a crack pot. Carp are fresh water fish. Keep clicking the links and you get the Thai article which is very good, then coconuts which is bad and then this which is terrible.

That's not a common carp.

As far as being a record, if the IGFA accepts fish caught in fish farms into the record books, they have lost all my respect.

Great fish, but shouldn't qualify for any IGFA records. It will be bigger next week.

As far as being a record, if the IGFA accepts fish caught in fish farms into the record books, they have lost all my respect.

Great fish, but shouldn't qualify for any IGFA records. It will be bigger next week.

I believe they do accept fish caught in fish farms but I am not sure this one will qualify because I have never seen them weigh any fish outside the water in Gillhams. They just guess the weight.

Also IGFA will accept fish farms and ponds as they are real common now in Europe.

I believe they do accept fish caught in fish farms but I am not sure this one will qualify because I have never seen them weigh any fish outside the water in Gillhams. They just guess the weight.

Also IGFA will accept fish farms and ponds as they are real common now in Europe.

I have heard they do accept farmed fish as records. I would have no problem with that if they were put into a separate category from wild caught fish. Then let the fish farms compete with each other for bragging rights in their own category.

Because sooner or later it becomes about genetics and feeding programs, and not about any kind of fishing skills.

Methinks it's time for another body to be set up to replace the IGFA for record keeping. They have sold out.

And I suspect Gillhams would gladly weigh any fish that would put them in the record books, regardless of their normal practices. So would any other venue.

Edited by impulse

I have heard they do accept farmed fish as records. I would have no problem with that if they were put into a separate category from wild caught fish. Then let the fish farms compete with each other for bragging rights in their own category.

But sooner or later it becomes about genetics and feeding programs, and not about any kind of fishing skills.

Methinks it's time for another body to be set up to replace the IGFA for record keeping. They have sold out.

Actually it never is about fishing skills its being in the right water at the right time.. skills have something to do with it but luck has a lot to do with it too. You can be the top fisherman of the world but if you fish in a water where there are no big ones you wont catch them.

The setting is never the same you should compare lake to the same lake else its unfair.

Though about skill if you go to BSR the guides usually outfish me because they cast better more accurate at the same spot all the time.

Actually it never is about fishing skills its being in the right water at the right time.. skills have something to do with it but luck has a lot to do with it too. You can be the top fisherman of the world but if you fish in a water where there are no big ones you wont catch them.

It is partly about luck.

But that can't explain why some anglers have multiple records for different line classes. They have the dedication to find themselves on the right water at the right time again and again. And even then, they're on that water with hundreds or thousands of others, yet they have the records.

I have never lived where I could catch 95% the world records of any fish they record. But I could- if that's how I prioritized my life (and I had a lot more money for that 60' Bertram I'd need) And sometimes, it's down to having the time and money to fish enough in expensive locations that most of us can only dream about.

I don't begrudge them the records because they can afford it and I can't.

But allowing farmed fish into the record books to compete with wild fish will eventually make all the freshwater records about genetics and feeding programs. It's already happening in Europe, and apparently in Thailand, too. And that should be a different category than wild caught fish.

Once there is no chance to catch a record on public waters, the records become nothing but marketing tools, and not meaningful to anyone but the folks that keep the records and others who rake in the cash from wannabe record holders.