The One that Didn’t Get Away: Brit bags an ugly monster on Krabi

webfact

If you are being charged 5,000thb a day to "catch" fish that are being caught over and over again, providing them with a daily free lunch, aren't you the one being caught?

Maybe, it all depends what you like doing. I mean some guys like doing bar girls that have been done over and over again or go after other girls that are easy.

I like fishing but to be honest to get the real big ones over there you need to have a bit of luck and skill. They are not caught that often the smaller ones are.

Anyway I just love fishing and that place has a great setting.

• Like 1

Actually it never is about fishing skills its being in the right water at the right time.. skills have something to do with it but luck has a lot to do with it too. You can be the top fisherman of the world but if you fish in a water where there are no big ones you wont catch them.

It is partly about luck.

But that can't explain why some anglers have multiple records for different line classes. They have the dedication to find themselves on the right water at the right time again and again. And even then, they're on that water with hundreds or thousands of others, yet they have the records.

I have never lived where I could catch 95% the world records of any fish they record. But I could- if that's how I prioritized my life (and I had a lot more money for that 60' Bertram I'd need) And sometimes, it's down to having the time and money to fish enough in expensive locations that most of us can only dream about.

I don't begrudge them the records because they can afford it and I can't.

But allowing farmed fish into the record books to compete with wild fish will eventually make all the freshwater records about genetics and feeding programs. It's already happening in Europe, and apparently in Thailand, too. And that should be a different category than wild caught fish.

Once there is no chance to catch a record on public waters, the records become nothing but marketing tools, and not meaningful to anyone but the folks that keep the records and others who rake in the cash from wannabe record holders.

I agree with your sentiment about farmed fish. To be honest they should just compare catches at lakes with catches at the same lake. I mean I sometimes go to shadow lake a good day fishing is totally different from a good day fishing at Bungsamran. You cant compare the two (also price wise). But i like them both now I am more at Bungsamran because a friend of mine lives close.

If you are being charged 5,000thb a day to "catch" fish that are being caught over and over again, providing them with a daily free lunch, aren't you the one being caught?

Maybe, it all depends what you like doing. I mean some guys like doing bar girls that have been done over and over again or go after other girls that are easy.

I like fishing but to be honest to get the real big ones over there you need to have a bit of luck and skill. They are not caught that often the smaller ones are.

Not following your bargirl analogy, nor how bar girls and fish are related (although I think there is a joke there to be spawned for sure), but noted is your love of fishing and that you find this a quality place.

It's a good recommendation for others coming to Thailand who share the passion for the sport as you do. Cheers, GOM

• Like 1

Not following your bargirl analogy, nor how bar girls and fish are related (although I think there is a joke there to be spawned for sure), but noted is your love of fishing and that you find this a quality place.

It's a good recommendation for others coming to Thailand who share the passion for the sport as you do. Cheers, GOM

My favorite goes like this:

Catching BIG fish in farms and chasing bar girls are both guilty pleasures.

Bring enough money and there's not a whole lot of need for skill or chance. It's a lot of fun, and feels pretty good at the time.

But neither one is really an accomplishment to brag about in polite company. (Or to put in the IGFA record books IMO)

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I just love fishing but I share your opinion that 5000 a head is a bit too much. Normally I fish in cheaper ponds but as this is a once in a year thing when dad comes along and he absolutely wants that place then who am I to object.

But fishing can be an expensive hobby, but gives loads of fun too. For me it usually is a time to meet and talk with others.

When we were young we used to catch fish and eat them. . . When I got older we also went out and caught fish and ate them.

When I was older still I got a job on a tuna boat and we poled big tuna out of the sea for others to eat them.

That's nature. I never liked the way a well fed cat would torture a mouse to death purely for its own pleasure.

I don't understand this.

I agree its a pity the headline did not lead us to something more interesting, amusing or enlightening than two over fed pommie yokels

enjoying the torture of innocent critters. Yep. Its a strange world.

At least they are not going to try and eat it or they will find it to be a CRAPpy CARP from CRABI !!!!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Methinks that Photoshop had a hand in this!

No jthis is at Gillhams a great fishing lake where the fish are treated great. Catch and release the fish arent even allowed to be taken out onto the banks of the lake. All pictures must be done in the water. After pictures disinfectant is sprayed on the fish its wounds (if any).

I will be fishing there for 3 days in November with my father and brother. Its a great place one of the nicest lakes in Thailand but pricey, you pay around 5000bt a day to fish there.

What a great response, so different from those without your knowledge, which this site is full of those that just want to put others down. I fished for carp in the lakes of England for many years enjoying my time at Waveney valley the most, where I achieved my PB. In my latter years I helped a farmer friend to look after his fishing lakes, sharing my knowledge with him to ensure that the anglers respected the code of fishing and ensuring that they respected the lovely country environment he had created with the lakes. A rewarding experience whilst spending many days and nights in tranquil spots. I doubt very much whether those ignorant of the fishing codes used would even realise how well we treated those fish we caught, incuding our inspection and using disinfectant where needed. Well done sir a great answer.

Fishing is the largest participation sport in the UK. Many would simply love to catch a fish like this, Thailand for once is ahead of the rest of the world, and can offer some awesome fishing nationwide.

The prices might seem high but are comparable with other exotic locations that offer fishing trips.Especially for big ones like this.

As for the IGFA its membership based and simply want your money.

Ugly monster!! what a nutter. It is a world record carp (common carp) 137 lbs 7 Oz. People spend there lives in the UK trying to break the 40 lbs mark. SEA MONSTER!!! what a crack pot. Carp are fresh water fish. Keep clicking the links and you get the Thai article which is very good, then coconuts which is bad and then this which is terrible.

That's not a common carp.

As far as being a record, if the IGFA accepts fish caught in fish farms into the record books, they have lost all my respect.

Great fish, but shouldn't qualify for any IGFA records. It will be bigger next week.

Thailand is the home of the Siamese carp, so I assume that is what it is - Common for Thailand :)

There are a few places like this in Thailand from what I heard. It's a pure business, the owners pay big money to bring this sort of "monsters" into their lakes and they make money letting folks catch (and release) them. Nothing but a business, hardly worth posting it in a news section.

There are a few places like this in Thailand from what I heard. It's a pure business, the owners pay big money to bring this sort of "monsters" into their lakes and they make money letting folks catch (and release) them. Nothing but a business, hardly worth posting it in a news section.

Its a business, that is for sure much money is made. Unfortunately there is not much real fishing in Thailand because Thais tend to eat it all no matter how small it is.

I like these lakes and its not like you catch those kind of monsters all the time you need to have some skill and luck. This lake is great but a bit too expensive for me to fish normally. I prefer the cheaper but also fun lakes in BKK (of course not if they were the same price). This lake is actually one of the best kept lakes and where the fish are treated best.

It is not much different from UK and Dutch ponds where fish are stocked only place where you can get wild fish would be rivers and big canals. But many like to go to lakes knowing the fish is there. Still it does not give a 100% garantee, big carp like that don't come out easy they seem to be smart enough not to get caught often. The fish do learn.

Wow! Would my M.I.L. love to get that bugger on the fire in the back yard. They would have the whole neighborhood over for dinner!

I doubt you have any idea about the value of such a fish. I heard a carp that size could fetch 400.000 bt as having such a fish would draw loads of anglers to to the pond. Big fish are so expensive because it attracts loads of anglers.

Wow! Would my M.I.L. love to get that bugger on the fire in the back yard. They would have the whole neighborhood over for dinner!

I doubt you have any idea about the value of such a fish. I heard a carp that size could fetch 400.000 bt as having such a fish would draw loads of anglers to to the pond. Big fish are so expensive because it attracts loads of anglers.

You're right, I don't have a clue about how much they're worth. I was just commenting because my inlaws really love a big carp on the grill.

You're right, I don't have a clue about how much they're worth. I was just commenting because my inlaws really love a big carp on the grill.

Would be a real expensive meal that is for sure, only a fool would eat such a fish knowing its value. Same goes for the large mekongs, they are worth loads of money far more as for food.

Ugly? Monster? It's a fish. The ugly monsters are the macho scumbags murdering innocent animals. I sure hope it was a catch and release situation. That fish survived this long. It surely deserves to live out its life in peace.

Really please , another vegan mouthing off...???

Photo made the back of the front page of the Bangkok Post last week.

Wonder why they couldn't snap another where the guys are actually looking at the camera with eyes open? I think the fish is the only one looking at the camera.

For some like me its hard to pose on a picture, but also don't forge that fish is trying to move and get away. They might not show it but it takes effort to keep the fish like that. Plus they cant keep the fish too long like this else it get stressed and might die. The carp was around 135lbs. That is not light weight to lift if it is a piece of metal, now imagine a life fish with no handles that struggles to get away. Makes things harder to smile on the cam.

Photo made the back of the front page of the Bangkok Post last week.

Wonder why they couldn't snap another where the guys are actually looking at the camera with eyes open? I think the fish is the only one looking at the camera.

For some like me its hard to pose on a picture, but also don't forge that fish is trying to move and get away. They might not show it but it takes effort to keep the fish like that. Plus they cant keep the fish too long like this else it get stressed and might die. The carp was around 135lbs. That is not light weight to lift if it is a piece of metal, now imagine a life fish with no handles that struggles to get away. Makes things harder to smile on the cam.

But it's not like the photographer couldn't have whipped off 6 shots real fast and picked a better one............

To tell you the truth I am a little saddened by some of the comments written in this thread.

Why have a go at the guys in the photo?Have they done anything to you and would you say it to their faces?

Personally, I am thrilled for the guy that managed to catch that Giant Siamese Carp.

Get a grip guys,why put down someone that who is having a wonderful moment in their life?