Sony A7 and A7r

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-193277-0-03595500-1388649741_thumb.

Sony A7R with Leica 50mm f2 @ f2 1/125 EV 0 ISO 51,200. Shot as JPEG, minimum PP. Uploaded as a 78kb file.

Took this to try out the ISO 51,200 which you can access with the NR multiple frame setting. I assumed it would be unusable like ISO 12,800 on most cameras but, although the blacks in the shadows are beginning to break down, the foreground subject area in focus is quite sharp. Definitely a usable option in low light with a static subject.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifFB 993499_570804349670536_530947703_n.jpg

Sony A7R with Leica 50mm f2 @ f2 1/125 EV 0 ISO 51,200. Shot as JPEG, minimum PP. Uploaded as a 78kb file.

Took this to try out the ISO 51,200 which you can access with the NR multiple frame setting. I assumed it would be unusable like ISO 12,800 on most cameras but, although the blacks in the shadows are beginning to break down, the foreground subject area in focus is quite sharp. Definitely a usable option in low light with a static subject.

<deleted>!!!!

That's like ISO3200 on this poxy Pentax.

• Like 1

Ming Thein's Flickr set for his Sony A7r review . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/sets/72157639225941774/with/11826847086/

11663376225_f43859431e_b.jpg

Full review here . . .

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/01/08/sony-a7r-review/

Not keen on adapted lenses on the A7r. Recommends the best adapters but still talks about planarity and decentering issues noticeable with such a high resolution sensor.

Others have mentioned this thing can be pretty unforgiving.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Ming Thein's Flickr set for his Sony A7r review . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/sets/72157639225941774/with/11826847086/

11663376225_f43859431e_b.jpg

Full review here . . .

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/01/08/sony-a7r-review/

Not keen on adapted lenses on the A7r. Recommends the best adapters but still talks about planarity and decentering issues noticeable with such a high resolution sensor.

Others have mentioned this thing can be pretty unforgiving.

The lack of native (i.e. non-adaptor) lenses was one of the main reasons I went with the Olympus OM-D E-M1. Once Sony gets its lenses up to speed, I'll probably go back and give the a7r another look.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ming Thein suggests in the review that the Olympus in-body stabilisation makes it a winner. When it comes to in-body OS there are obvious internal space issues with the A7 design, hence they intend to use stabilised lenses.

The E-M1 has three aces: firstly, its stabilizer is so good that you claw back most, if not all, of the high ISO advantage of the A7 and A7R for handheld shooting in low light. It also means that you don’t have stability issues – my ‘technical’ hit rate with the E-M1 is close to 100% because of this. You can shoot at pretty much any shutter speed with impunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Where in Bangkok do they sell the A7r? Have not seen them. Sony website shows them but when it comes to showing what is on offer they are showing the A7 only for 49900 THB .

I think Big Camera do them at 70k Baht. You can find Big Camera all over the place.

Where in Bangkok do they sell the A7r? Have not seen them. Sony website shows them but when it comes to showing what is on offer they are showing the A7 only for 49900 THB .

Both models are in stock at Sony showrooms at the Emporium and Siam Paragon. A7R is B69,900 body only.

Ming Thein did a good job and his comments about adapted glass are apposite but he hasn't tested them with any RF glass. Sean Reid is going to publish a review of the A7R's performance with Leica glass and, given his exacting standards, I assume it will be a thumbs down. Unfortunately his is a pay only sight - spose he has to make a living. Both cameras certainly have some shortcomings with wide angle range finder glass with the A7R also having some magenta fringing on occasion as well as vignetting and corner softness which the A7 also apparently suffers from. On the other hand they seem to perform much better with the Sony Zeiss lenses designed for them, although I don't have of of these as yet. Curiously my A7R seems to have a very greenish AWB that is virtually unusable - maybe just my copy but I think I saw a reviewer complain about that too. That is not a huge issue as it forces me to select a WB or adjust in pp - if you shoot raw, WB can be adjusted to anything you want in Lightroom or similar software. The RF wide angle vignetting can also be adjusted easily in pp but magenta fringing takes some expertise and there is nothing to be done about loss of corner resolution.

Anyway the A7R is not perfect and I knew that when I bought it but it is the closest thing available to what I wanted and is a pleasure to shoot with. Perhaps in two years' time Sony or someone else with come out with a FF camera body that: has the same or higher resolution than the A7R: is no larger or heavier than the A7/A7R; can correct in camera for high quality wide angle RF glass; has a silent, non vibrating shutter; and has in camera stabilisation. I will buy it, if not outrageously priced. Sony is rumoured to be working on a 54 megapixel FF sensor which sounds like a gimmick (even 36 megapixels is pushing it). I hope they can address some of my wish list in a 36 megapixel option at the same time. For now I am pretty happy with the A7R. Many of the corner issues are not noticeable in the type of photography I do, particularly in low light shots where the corners tend to be pretty dark anyway. The low light performance is stellar enough that it can stand a higher shutter speed to compensate for the lack of stabilisation and the shutter vibration and still outperform the Sony NEX-5N which was already a good low light performer. Even though a Leica M240 would give better corner to corner performance with my Leica glass, I doubt that I will buy one at today's prices of US$7,000+ and a 1 year wait list, and given its lack of built in EVF, tilting screen, poorer low light performance, additional weight, need for RF re-calibration etc. I will probably stick with my "poor man's Leica" which I enjoy and see what the future brings a 2 or 3 years down the track. If I was doing a lot of critical wide angle photography in daylight I might think differently, although Sony Zeiss will probably come up with a wide angle solution this year that might take the A7R past the Leica M240 at the wide end.

Edited by Dogmatix

DPReview have published their A7 review.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7

Based on the review, I am happy I opted for the E-M1 instead. I'll be waiting for the review on the a7r to see if it is better.

David

Yes agree that the a7 and the Rx1 review is a deal breaker for me. I am married to Canon with my investment in their body's / glass / strobes. I bought the Fugi X100S recently and it is a good tool for what it is. Canon strobes work well with it but no TTL. Put a transmitter in the hotshoe and the off camera strobes work great. Tired of feeling all beat up after carrying a heavy DSLR and 'L' lenses around, so for now the Fugi X100S is my go to walk around.

• 2 months later...

IMHO, the A7R is indeed the Leica killer, in every respect (and me a former Leica-man). Disregard all the incorrect reviews about Leica lenses on the A7R: these reviews are written by ignorant people who fail to comprehend the reasons why the Leica tech cannot be matched to the Sony sensor. All Leica lenses have a red colour cast, among many other inherent compromises. The A7R will accept non-dedicated lenses, but below 35mm colour shifts become possible. The best non-dedicated lenses for the A7R are the Zeiss. The best dedicated lenses are the Zeiss, and these produce no colour shifts or artefacts. The Sony needs the very best. When NASA chose cameras and lenses, it chose the best: Hasselblad and Zeiss (Leica was not good enough). Among the Zeiss lenses for 35mm format, the Zeiss Contax G lenses are incomparable (in 20 years, nothing has surpassed them). The best Zeiss G is the 45mm/f2 lens. To see a sample image with explanation, go here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49615044@N03/13793393075/

Look around Flickr and you will see hundreds of excellent A7R images, especially those taken with the Zeiss dedicated lenses.

The conclusion here is simple: the manufacturers are clearly trying to lock consumers into their brands, and only their brands. Canon lenses only for Canon cameras: same for Nikon, Leica, Fuji, etc. Only the Sony permits legacy lenses, which is a feat in itself.

IMHO, the A7R is indeed the Leica killer, in every respect (and me a former Leica-man). Disregard all the incorrect reviews about Leica lenses on the A7R: these reviews are written by ignorant people who fail to comprehend the reasons why the Leica tech cannot be matched to the Sony sensor. All Leica lenses have a red colour cast, among many other inherent compromises. The A7R will accept non-dedicated lenses, but below 35mm colour shifts become possible. The best non-dedicated lenses for the A7R are the Zeiss. The best dedicated lenses are the Zeiss, and these produce no colour shifts or artefacts. The Sony needs the very best. When NASA chose cameras and lenses, it chose the best: Hasselblad and Zeiss (Leica was not good enough). Among the Zeiss lenses for 35mm format, the Zeiss Contax G lenses are incomparable (in 20 years, nothing has surpassed them). The best Zeiss G is the 45mm/f2 lens. To see a sample image with explanation, go here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49615044@N03/13793393075/

Look around Flickr and you will see hundreds of excellent A7R images, especially those taken with the Zeiss dedicated lenses.

The conclusion here is simple: the manufacturers are clearly trying to lock consumers into their brands, and only their brands. Canon lenses only for Canon cameras: same for Nikon, Leica, Fuji, etc. Only the Sony permits legacy lenses, which is a feat in itself.

"Only the Sony permits legacy lenses, which is a feat in itself."

I think owners of Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax and Fuji (Fuji even make their own M mount adapter!) may disagree with that statement. One of the attractions of mirrorless cameras (including but not exclusively the Sony) is that they facilitate manual focusing with legacy lenses.

Here's my Panasonic permitting the Contax G 45mm quite happily.

4934562370_7020c74fb3.jpgP1070161 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

• Like 1