Immigration Laws - Are Thais Subject To Retaliation In Other countries?

Forethat

I find the Expat aversion to the 90 day's address report, as nit picking it does not require a personal visit to immigration as I took care of those reports for simply the cost of a postage stamp to mail my required address check information in to immigration. When Nakhon Sawan opened an immigration office, that changed my reporting from Bangkok to that city, I do not have to mail it in any more as my daughter goes to that city daily and submit my reports for me most of the time free of any charge, sometimes it cost 100 baht because my wife or I did not personally submit the report.

The reason the U.S. immigration rejected my wife'e visa request was that many Thai women go to the states and never return to Thailand. If the U.S. would also require a 90 day address reporting requirement, maybe that would more effectively deal with the situation and have in effect the family members of their sponsors to seek Thai immigrants whereabouts,

Cheers:wai2.gif

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is that Ladies disappear to make money in farangland, no such practice with us lot (perhaps a few whistling.gif ) we bring cash in. smile.png

Yes i have heard about some Thai woman doing this on tourist visas here and when caught being deported back to the motherland.But strangely enough there embassy is never involved and the flight back home is being payed by taxpayers money.

No certainly not.

There is no comparison to suggest otherwise.

Why?

Thais can come into the UK on a Settlement Visa. (roughly 33 months)

They do not have to check in every 90 days,either to the Home Office, UKBA, or the UK Police.

The same applies for their next Visa,which is ILR (Indefinate Leave to Remain)

And allows for applying for Citizenship within 5 years,of having arrived (previously 3+years,my wife obtained Citizenship in 3 years and 3 month,which has now changed to 5 years at the end of this month Oct 2013)

They can start work in the UK from day one. (without a work permit) and has many months to aquire, a free of charge NI no. (National Insurance Number )

They can buy Land or property in their own name.

They can buy a vehicle in their own name.Car or Motorcycle!

They can use a Thai Driving Licence for one year on arrival (before needing a UK Provisional Licence).

During the time they are subject to Immigration control,they are only obliged to contact the UKBA/Home office to notify a change of address,and/or a breakdown of the relationship, or a contravention of the Visa conditions,which initially the Sponsor is responsible for,any notifications.

They can also get free Health care under the NHS on a Settlement Visa +.Their own GP and any Surgery or other treatment,requiring Out patient or In Patient treatment,again free of charge, the only payment they have to pay is £7.80 for Prescriptions,the same as everyone else in the UK,who are non exempt of charges.

My Information is that there are 35,000 Thai Permanent Residents in the UK,according to 2012 figures!

Far from subject to any Retaliation in this Country,I am pleased to say Thai people in the UK are not discriminated against,our laws would not tolerate it!

Manic. Hear, hear.

At the end of the day, I paid millions of baht in tax in Thailand, and spent many millions more. It was as tedious staying there after 18 years as it was the day I got there.

Ordinarily bureaucracy serves a clear purpose and over time gets streamlined. Thailand seems to revel in the arbitrary and irrelevant. It just refuses to get better.

• Like 2

No certainly not.

Why?

They do not have to check in every 90 days,either to the Home Office, UKBA, or the UK Police.

And allows for applying for Citizenship within 5 years,of having arrived (previously 3+years,my wife obtained Citizenship in 3 years and 3 month,which has now changed to 5 years at the end of this month Oct 2013)

They can start work in the UK from day one. (without a work permit) and has many months to aquire, a free of charge NI no. (National Insurance Number )

They can use a Thai Driving Licence for one year on arrival (before needing a UK Provisional Licence).

During the time they are subject to Immigration control,they are only obliged to contact the UKBA/Home office to notify a change of address,and/or a breakdown of the relationship, or a contravention of the Visa conditions,which initially the Sponsor is responsible for,any notifications.

They can also get free Health care under the NHS on a Settlement Visa +.Their own GP and any Surgery or other treatment,requiring Out patient or In Patient treatment,again free of charge, the only payment they have to pay is £7.80 for Prescriptions,the same as everyone else in the UK,who are non exempt of charges.

My Information is that there are 35,000 Thai Permanent Residents in the UK,according to 2012 figures!

Far from subject to any Retaliation in this Country,I am pleased to say Thai people in the UK are not discriminated against,our laws would not tolerate it!

Manic. Hear, hear.

At the end of the day, I paid millions of baht in tax in Thailand, and spent many millions more. It was as tedious staying there after 18 years as it was the day I got there.

Ordinarily bureaucracy serves a clear purpose and over time gets streamlined. Thailand seems to revel in the arbitrary and irrelevant. It just refuses to get better.

Isn't it strange that LOS immigration never asks if you/we are funding a Thai child(ren) for a better life. Doesn't come into their equation. sad.png

I'm probably alone in this, but I wish the US didn't allow foreigners to buy land. Every time I read of some foreign government or company buying a landmark building or something, I cringe.

The land is American land and is for our children and grandchildren, not for people who hate us such as the Middle Easterners who wanted to build a big Mosque right next to the location of 9/11.

I think Thailand got that right. Foreigners should react accordingly.

• Like 2

I'm probably alone in this, but I wish the US didn't allow foreigners to buy land. Every time I read of some foreign government or company buying a landmark building or something, I cringe.

The land is American land and is for our children and grandchildren, not for people who hate us such as the Middle Easterners who wanted to build a big Mosque right next to the location of 9/11.

Now you sound exactly the same way the Native Americans did when you stole the land from THEM.

You mean the land that the Cherokees pushed the Apaches off of, then got pushed off by the Lakota, who then got pushed off by the XXXX, who finally got pushed off by the foreign devils?

Or are you talking about south of the border where they spent centuries doing human sacrifices on everyone not from their city?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

there is no retaliation; most countries have reciprical programs but with limits. so, in israel, israelis have no proplem entering thailand up to thirty days with no visa, and can do the whole visa routine with wife if they want to.

the reciprocity is that thailand keeps up good realtionships with israel to maintain a direct line of immigrant workers in agriculture coming in here every year. and thai offices make huge amounts of money from that reciprocity.

thais need to pay up to 7000 dollars, to pay/ bribe people in order to come and work here for under minimum wage and live in shitty conditions. and then after five year have to go home and never come back again.

or come through travel groups (like church group tours) for a short time and go home .

or if they are married to an israeli citizen, go through 6! years of proving they live together in same house, are permitted to work only after half year to year of processing, are not considered married until a year has gone by, find it difficult to get jobs as employers fear they havfe to pay a ';foreign worker' tax; do not blend in at all with surrounding society, are considered as 'dog eaters' and lots of other disgusting things; and now, after 6 years, can apply for citizenship depending on level of language and intergration (center of life) in israeli society (holidays, etc), and must swear to keep and acknolege that israel is a jewish state (this was added last year, waiting ofr when hubby will have to take his oath, if he passes the citizenship review thsi next month)....

and , like in the danish/thai thread, can be deported if i die before he has citizenship.

so really, will everyone stop whinging.

peole here aer also whinging about having their partner/spouse from a foreign country ahveing a hard time getting in tothe israeli system.

every coutnry has its thing. and every year it gets more difficult. and if children are involved it is even more convoluted and sometimes heartbreaking. so get a grip.

there is no retaliation; most countries have reciprical programs but with limits. so, in israel, israelis have no proplem entering thailand up to thirty days with no visa, and can do the whole visa routine with wife if they want to.

the reciprocity is that thailand keeps up good realtionships with israel to maintain a direct line of immigrant workers in agriculture coming in here every year. and thai offices make huge amounts of money from that reciprocity.

thais need to pay up to 7000 dollars, to pay/ bribe people in order to come and work here for under minimum wage and live in shitty conditions. and then after five year have to go home and never come back again.

or come through travel groups (like church group tours) for a short time and go home .

or if they are married to an israeli citizen, go through 6! years of proving they live together in same house, are permitted to work only after half year to year of processing, are not considered married until a year has gone by, find it difficult to get jobs as employers fear they havfe to pay a ';foreign worker' tax; do not blend in at all with surrounding society, are considered as 'dog eaters' and lots of other disgusting things; and now, after 6 years, can apply for citizenship depending on level of language and intergration (center of life) in israeli society (holidays, etc), and must swear to keep and acknolege that israel is a jewish state (this was added last year, waiting ofr when hubby will have to take his oath, if he passes the citizenship review thsi next month)....

and , like in the danish/thai thread, can be deported if i die before he has citizenship.

so really, will everyone stop whinging.

peole here aer also whinging about having their partner/spouse from a foreign country ahveing a hard time getting in tothe israeli system.

every coutnry has its thing. and every year it gets more difficult. and if children are involved it is even more convoluted and sometimes heartbreaking. so get a grip.

Are there thousands of people every year who aren't Jewish emigrating permenantly to Israel?

Hardly the liberal west is it....

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I've been through the UK visa process for Thai nationals and it is not pretty. In fact it was nasty, harsh and unfair. A cruel ordeal.

Even after six months of refusals and going to court and winning a court order the person at Heathrow immigration still tried to refuse entry even though we had a three year old with us. It got very heated with the immigration officer even screaming after us in the bitchiest of tones that we had to be out in six months! This was a six month family visitor visa.

We were back in BKK within three weeks.

All to easy to complain about visa procedures to western countrys on internet forums without knowing the the real story why applications have been turned down from both sides.

You suggest there's a real and not real story, where we only know the not real one?

If an application for a visa is rejected it's rejected because you dont meet the requirements. Nothing else. I've never heard anyone say that Thais who doesn't meet the requirements should be granted a visa.

The sad fact is that Thailand will allow any U.S. resident easy access to the country, and to stay on a more permanent basis, must simply show financial responsibility and you do not have a criminal record.

The US is very selective in who it allows into the country very few who desire to visit the country are allowed entrance.

I know individuals who met their wife in the beer bars, approved to enter the U.S. I must assume they were not honest in filling out the visa request, because of their past job history.

But a Thai women that has never had that type of job history is denied entrance.

Cheers:wai2.gif

thai heart, actually yes. for a smallo country we have a huge amount of non jewish, and actually muslem (non arab) refugees that are at the present moment causing havoc here: sudanese, euritreans, nigerians, , and unfortunately the amount of violence in the areas theya re living in has risen drastically for various reasons(unemployment, drinking, post trauma violence, rape of women among their own and also among the neighborhoods, thieveing/breaking and entering becauuse lack of work, lack of funds, as they are not allowed to work with a 'refugee' visa. ) even my thai husband has become anti refugee,

and then there is the problem of the filipinas that stay over their visa limit and have mixed children (from married thai men that are here on 5 yr visas for work)

and the 'deportation' that occured last year for all children under a certain age that hadnt been in the country before a certain year cut off date, although the children spoke only hebrew, were in schools, and in some cases, even in army!!! (i personally know of two that were in army service and were deported, and other cases the parents and siblings were deported).

so realy, people here just whinge a lot. w/o really knowing what goes on in other countries. i do because i follow (mostly thai oriented) decisions made here, as the wife of a foreign worker -now with regular visa. and in a society that is blatantly racist in that respect.

go in to the kav l'oved site and you will see all the stats.

not too mention all the convoluted situations of marriages over the green line (a friend's wife comes from over the line) and the enability to get 'family unification visas' , work visas, and whatever else there is, from social services to well baby care.

when you marry in to an other country, you get stuck with their laws, its a decision you make, no one forced you to do it. the children of these marriages howver are born in to difficult legal situations.

You clearly have an axe to grind with immigration policys of certain western countrys towards Thais thats why you started this topic but now youre bouncing of the walls.

Certainly not. I started this thread because a couple of posters who wanted to debate the Thai immigration laws in relation to their national counterparts. Rather than having them contaminating what was an interesting I started a new topic for them.

In the topic concerning the Thai child and her mother in Denmark you have a problem with Danish immi rules because they dont meet the requirements any more according to Danish law.

Certainly not, and if you read post 31 in that topic I'm sure you'll understand exactly my point (which is that they actually met the requirements and were already accepted to the Danish society).

And I am pretty confident their ruling has by no means been influenced by how Danish are treated by Thai Immigration laws. In that aspect, things are, in my opinion, exactly as they should be.

No certainly not.

Why?

Actually, I doubt that any Thai would be able to acquire a Settlement visa in UK other than Thais who have previously lived or studied in UK, or if he-she fits under one of the working categories.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/settlement/

In order to buy land or drive a vehicle in UK they must first get into the country, which in most cases is very difficult.

Regardless of visa, in order to acquire one they will have to demonstrate a knowledge of language and life in the UK. Something that would have ruled out most farangs in he reverse situation.

So no, I'm sorry, Thais cannot "come into the UK on a Settlement Visa" other than in very minor cases, and it certainly doesn't apply to most Thais who often struggle to even get permission to enter the country on a tourist basis.

Patently you have set, incorrect views on Immigration to the UK. Suffice to say it's not that difficult,like all Countries,there is a need to abide by the conditions of entry.

What is interesting is the many posts on TV with regards to Thai immigration laws and how expats are being treated "unfair" and if only farangs were able to buy land and yada yada yada.

There are also a remarkable number of posts where the author suggests that their home country should apply some sort of distinction based on nationalities and adopt an "eye for en eye" policy towards citizens of countries that enforce a more stringent immigration policy.

This is utter childish rubbish, if you ask me. I can only assume that this view is only represented by an exceedingly small number of expats, and by no means represent a generic view.

The truth is, that those who believe Thailand are treating farangs as <deleted>, have none or very little knowledge of how Thais are being treated in their own home countries in Europe, where - with very few exceptions - arbitrary bullshit sets the standard for an inhumane and dangerous view on humans and their social life, something that sometimes inhibits people to move across borders even though families and their wellbeing are at stake.

The simple truth is that unless you are extradited out of Thailand you would be able to live there if you wanted to, where as a Thai wouldn't even be able to cross the border of most European countries unless someone was prepared to sponsor the visit.

The truth is that Thailand is one of the most accessible countries there is in terms of immigration. Contrary, if a Thai child and mother had the option of reporting to the authorities every 90 days, if that meant they could stay in the country where they have lived for many years, I'm pretty confident they would gladly accept that option. But the average expat cries like a little girl because they have to do exactly this.

Most expats should be extremely happy that Thailand doesn't start treating farangs the same way Thais are being treated abroad.

Sorry! But you are wrong, Thailand is not one of the most accessible countries there is in terms of IMMIGRATION. We are not immigrants, we are guest, who can easily be deported. What is true is that it is easy for nationals of most countries to obtain entry into Thailand,by usually gaining a restricted visa at the point of entry. Very easy to get into, but not so easy to stay if the authorities want you out and while you are IN Thailand you have very little rights. In comparison the entry requirements into the UK are very strict, yet once you are in, you can enjoy many rights, such as to own land, obtain British citizenship etc, and of course it can be very difficult for the authorities to deport you.

• Like 2

I would be in favor of 100% reciprocity when it comes to visas.

Let's start with tourist visas: all Western nationals should be subjected to degrading interviews and be required to lay bare all of their personal financial details before (likely) being denied a tourist visa to visit Thailand (and not having their exorbitant application fee refunded).

And, on the odd chance a visa IS granted, let's subject Westerners to the exact same degrading personal interrogation on arrival -- and if the immigration guy doesn't like your mug, put you on the next plane back home and blacklist you for the next five years.

Let's start now.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai
  • Like 1

I do not consider the Thai immigration laws as being unreasonable, considering that Westerners are able to literally just walk in and out of the country at anytime with virtually no questions asked.

All they need to do is be able to qualify to stay under the Immigration laws of Thailand. If they can do that, then there is no problem, if they can`t, then why come here to whine and moan about it?

You are confusing immigration with tourism.

Very easy to visit Thailand as a tourist, very had to immigrate to Thailand.

Most foreigners never have any rights to live, work or own land here ....... that's called immigration.

• Like 1

What is interesting is the many posts on TV with regards to Thai immigration laws and how expats are being treated "unfair" and if only farangs were able to buy land and yada yada yada.

There are also a remarkable number of posts where the author suggests that their home country should apply some sort of distinction based on nationalities and adopt an "eye for en eye" policy towards citizens of countries that enforce a more stringent immigration policy.

This is utter childish rubbish, if you ask me. I can only assume that this view is only represented by an exceedingly small number of expats, and by no means represent a generic view.

The truth is, that those who believe Thailand are treating farangs as <deleted>, have none or very little knowledge of how Thais are being treated in their own home countries in Europe, where - with very few exceptions - arbitrary bullshit sets the standard for an inhumane and dangerous view on humans and their social life, something that sometimes inhibits people to move across borders even though families and their wellbeing are at stake.

The simple truth is that unless you are extradited out of Thailand you would be able to live there if you wanted to, where as a Thai wouldn't even be able to cross the border of most European countries unless someone was prepared to sponsor the visit.

The truth is that Thailand is one of the most accessible countries there is in terms of immigration. Contrary, if a Thai child and mother had the option of reporting to the authorities every 90 days, if that meant they could stay in the country where they have lived for many years, I'm pretty confident they would gladly accept that option. But the average expat cries like a little girl because they have to do exactly this.

Most expats should be extremely happy that Thailand doesn't start treating farangs the same way Thais are being treated abroad.

Sorry! But you are wrong, Thailand is not one of the most accessible countries there is in terms of IMMIGRATION. We are not immigrants, we are guest, who can easily be deported. What is true is that it is easy for nationals of most countries to obtain entry into Thailand,by usually gaining a restricted visa at the point of entry. Very easy to get into, but not so easy to stay if the authorities want you out and while you are IN Thailand you have very little rights. In comparison the entry requirements into the UK are very strict, yet once you are in, you can enjoy many rights, such as to own land, obtain British citizenship etc, and of course it can be very difficult for the authorities to deport you.

Thank you. You obviously have the sense to see that it must be a two way street.

• Like 1

I do not consider the Thai immigration laws as being unreasonable, considering that Westerners are able to literally just walk in and out of the country at anytime with virtually no questions asked.

All they need to do is be able to qualify to stay under the Immigration laws of Thailand. If they can do that, then there is no problem, if they can`t, then why come here to whine and moan about it?

Most foreigners never have any rights to live, work or own land here ....... that's called immigration.

Most foreigners never try.

Most are happy pretending to be a "tourist" for decades at a time.

Earning 50k a month in Thailand makes it impossible for most of us to even apply.

Not everyone works in the financial sector or on an expat package.

Reduce the wage level to the same as a Thai (9k a month), allow me to work in any job I want, and I'll give it a go.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Most foreigners never try.

Most are happy pretending to be a "tourist" for decades at a time.

Earning 50k a month in Thailand makes it impossible for most of us to even apply.

Not everyone works in the financial sector or on an expat package.

Reduce the wage level to the same as a Thai (9k a month), allow me to work in any job I want, and I'll give it a go.

Thailand has enough minimum wage people living here.

I know you see it only in terms of "me me me"...but do you know how many minimum wage Laos, Cambodians, and Burmese there are here who would clog the system with applications?

And, do you think a minimum-wage Thai has a chance in hell of even setting foot in your home country? If there were reciprocity and all things were even, YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE PERIOD. So stop griping.

Probably a case of terminology and definition, but I think you are confusing immigration with permanent residency.

My definition of immigration is settling in a country. Something anyone with a little bit of money can do, contrary to most European countries where all the money in the world (well, maybe...) will not get you a retirement visa even if you wanted to.

Probably a case of terminology and definition, but I think you are confusing immigration with permanent residency.

My definition of immigration is settling in a country. Something anyone with a little bit of money can do, contrary to most European countries where all the money in the world (well, maybe...) will not get you a retirement visa even if you wanted to.

Immigration is a term clearly defined, what you feel the definition should be is of no interest to anyone.

• Like 1

And, do you think a minimum-wage Thai has a chance in hell of even setting foot in your home country? If there were reciprocity and all things were even, YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE PERIOD. So stop griping.

Minimum wage Thai?, my wife with NO WAGE can easily, not only set foot, but immigrate to my country (England) tomorrow.

All she needs is a husband (me) with 62k GBP in the bank or an income of 18k GBP/year and it's a done deal.

(I can satisfy both requirements even though only one is needed)

If there were reciprocity in everything, I would be here as a Thai citizen already.

You can apply for Thai citizenship if you're married to a Thai.

Let me guess...you haven't.

You complain about the financial thresholds here, but look at the ones you've just quoted in the UK.

Immigration is a term clearly defined, what you feel the definition should be is of no interest to anyone.

My definition doesn't have anything to do with feel, it's an internationally adopted definition. Since there are several definitions I thought it'd be a good thing to declare which one I am using.

Immigration is the movement of people into another country or region to which they are not native in order to settle there

Actually, if you're not interested in others opinions I wonder why you're even here in the first place...

Edited by Forethat

Minimum wage Thai?, my wife with NO WAGE can easily, not only set foot, but immigrate to my country (England) tomorrow.

All she needs is a husband (me) with 62k GBP in the bank or an income of 18k GBP/year and it's a done deal.

(I can satisfy both requirements even though only one is needed)

If there were reciprocity in everything, I would be here as a Thai citizen already.

You complain about the financial thresholds here, but look at the ones you've just quoted in the UK.

You obviously have NOT read the terms to even apply for residency in LOS have you ??????????? Gawd.........coffee1.gif

The financial threshold in the UK (for spouse immigration) is set by the income needed to stop your family claiming UK state benefits. I would happily accept similar rules set in Thailand.

But then Thailand excludes my income as it is not earned in Thailand, where the UK accepts income from any country.

Funny thing is, I don't see the UK threshold as particularly high, and you do. I was earning 3x that threshold in 1990. It really isn't a lot of money for a working man in the UK to earn.

So I'm betting you don't have much of an income or savings, and are in fact one of the people you pretend to look down on.

(I am married to a Thai, and have two Thai/English dual nationality children, since you asked, but special branch won't accept my application as I have no need to work in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.)

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1