Immigration Laws - Are Thais Subject To Retaliation In Other countries?

Forethat

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yes, it is subject to tit-for-tat reactions from other countries. This is how most places operate. If you look at who gets what visas, visa waivers or more expensive visas, you will notice how these policies are made. You can find it online.

I am American, and have gone to countries where I had to pay more (because we charge those people more to come to the US) and to places where Americans got a shorter visa waiver than Europeans and Canadians (they offered the same amount of visa-free time to us as the US offered to them) and a place where EVERYONE needed a visa except Americans (trade agreement). I could go on, but you get the picture.

I think the reason Thailand doesn't get it so much is that it just isn't an important player on the world scene. You will see a lot more of this stuff when dealing with China, Russia, the EU, the US, Canada, etc. Also, the Thais generally want people to get in for tourism so they don't change too much for most countries with money. It could happen regarding long-term visas and all that, but your home country would have to be motivated enough, diplomatically, to put the machine in motion--not an easy thing. They just don't care much about some guys who have enough money to transplant themselves in Thailand and jump some hoops. They do care about trade agreements and the like and they reward or punish countries accordingly.

• Like 1

Actually, I have. I've gone through residency and am a citizen now. Rather than basking in self-pity, I've actually done it.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

So tell us all the/your hoops to get it . OH, and if a retired guy can do it too. thumbsup.gif

And, do you think a minimum-wage Thai has a chance in hell of even setting foot in your home country? If there were reciprocity and all things were even, YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE PERIOD. So stop griping.

Minimum wage Thai?, my wife with NO WAGE can easily, not only set foot, but immigrate to my country (England) tomorrow.

All she needs is a husband (me) with 62k GBP in the bank or an income of 18k GBP/year and it's a done deal.

(I can satisfy both requirements even though only one is needed)

If there were reciprocity in everything, I would be here as a Thai citizen already.

But what if your wife wasn't married to you, would she be able to immigrate to England tomorrow? And do you admit that YOU would be able to migrate to Thailand (with the intent to settle there despite not being able to acquire a permanent residency or rights to buy land) tomorrow without being married to a Thai?

I see a difference here, surely you must be able to spot it as well..?

Actually, I have. I've gone through residency and am a citizen now. Rather than basking in self-pity, I've actually done it.

So tell us all the/your hoops to get it . OH, and if a retired guy can do it too.  Posted Image

There are plenty of other threads that detail the process.

And if you're old enough to retire, why sweat it? You probably don't have enough years left to worry about it.

So tell us all the/your hoops to get it . OH, and if a retired guy can do it too. thumbsup.gif

Afraid it's a sign of the corrupt world of false standards we live in.

Those in the financial services, banking, stock markets, etc. who add absolutely nothing to the world but problems are considered valuable members of society, and those who actually contribute to society like teachers and manual labourers are seen as worthless.

As an example,

It's a topsy turvey world, where Thai based IFAs who skim from peoples pension funds are valued members of Thai society worthy of citizenship, where the pensioners living in Thailand who are having their pension funds skimmed are not worthy of citizenship.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Those in the financial services, banking, stock markets, etc. who add absolutely nothing to the world but problems are considered valuable members of society, and those who actually contribute to society like teachers and manual labourers are seen as worthless.

As an example,

It's a topsy turvey world, where Thai based IFAs who skim from peoples pension funds are valued members of Thai society worthy of citizenship, where the pensioners living in Thailand who are having their pension funds skimmed are not worthy of citizenship.

Wish I was. sad.png But more than happy that I have given a few Thais a life. But, Thai authorities do not recognize that fact.sad.png

The irony is it's easy for you to retire here, but if you were a non-EEA/Swiss national, the vast majority of people complaining would not qualify for an equivalent UK visa!

The topic is about immigration, not holiday visas.

No it isn't.

The topic is clearly defined in the OP, what you feel the topic should be is of no interest to anyone.

The simple truth is that unless you are extradited out of Thailand you would be able to live there if you wanted to, where as a Thai wouldn't even be able to cross the border of most European countries unless someone was prepared to sponsor the visit.

Do you think that a Nation, any Nation, shouldn't have the right to decide who should enter and on what terms?

Or, do you possible subscribe to the concept that we are all humans and, as such, there should be open borders across all nations ... a humanitarian pass ... "Open All Areas" ?

You see, Forethat, without understanding where you stand, your OP is diminished ... significantly.

Up to you if you decide to state your position, but if you chose not to do, your credibility is certainly called into question.

I read a lot of your stuff and you can see the quality.

I hope you bring that quality to this thread.

As an example,

Wish I was. sad.png But more than happy that I have given a few Thais a life. But, Thai authorities do not recognize that fact.sad.png

No need for sad smiley faces trans,after reading camaratas guide to Thai citizen ship and compairing it to how Thais obtain citizinship in my country it will have cost him a lot of cash and said Thais in my country next to nothing just living here for a certain amount of time would suffice .yeah visa rules really suck in Europe.But he will never say on this forum how much it really cost him money wise and time wise to obtain said nationality.

thai heart, actually yes. for a smallo country we have a huge amount of non jewish, and actually muslem (non arab) refugees that are at the present moment causing havoc here: sudanese, euritreans, nigerians, , and unfortunately the amount of violence in the areas theya re living in has risen drastically for various reasons(unemployment, drinking, post trauma violence, rape of women among their own and also among the neighborhoods, thieveing/breaking and entering becauuse lack of work, lack of funds, as they are not allowed to work with a 'refugee' visa. ) even my thai husband has become anti refugee,

and then there is the problem of the filipinas that stay over their visa limit and have mixed children (from married thai men that are here on 5 yr visas for work)

and the 'deportation' that occured last year for all children under a certain age that hadnt been in the country before a certain year cut off date, although the children spoke only hebrew, were in schools, and in some cases, even in army!!! (i personally know of two that were in army service and were deported, and other cases the parents and siblings were deported).

so realy, people here just whinge a lot. w/o really knowing what goes on in other countries. i do because i follow (mostly thai oriented) decisions made here, as the wife of a foreign worker -now with regular visa. and in a society that is blatantly racist in that respect.

go in to the kav l'oved site and you will see all the stats.

not too mention all the convoluted situations of marriages over the green line (a friend's wife comes from over the line) and the enability to get 'family unification visas' , work visas, and whatever else there is, from social services to well baby care.

when you marry in to an other country, you get stuck with their laws, its a decision you make, no one forced you to do it. the children of these marriages howver are born in to difficult legal situations.

Sad. I have some great Jewish friends of mine who endlessly bemoan about how fundamentalist Israel can be on these issues. At the end of the day Israel is a religious construct.

So wishing for rationality on who can attend is always going to be hit and miss.

The simple truth is that unless you are extradited out of Thailand you would be able to live there if you wanted to, where as a Thai wouldn't even be able to cross the border of most European countries unless someone was prepared to sponsor the visit.

Do you think that a Nation, any Nation, shouldn't have the right to decide who should enter and on what terms?

How on earth you missed my standpoint in the OP I may never understand...

I do believe any nation are fully entitled to set the terms (just as I am fully entitled to express an opinion on TV as long as I follow the terms), and I dont think Thais are subject to tit-for-tat thinking, retaliation or reciprocity in European countries, I want to believe that the stringent immigration rules applies to most non-European countries.

Edited by Forethat

So tell us all the/your hoops to get it . OH, and if a retired guy can do it too.  Posted Image

As an example,

Wish I was. Posted Image  But more than happy that I have given a few Thais a life. But, Thai authorities do not recognize that fact.Posted Image

No need for sad smiley faces trans,after reading camaratas guide to Thai citizen ship and compairing it to how Thais obtain citizinship in my country it will have cost him a lot of cash and said Thais in my country next to nothing just living here for a certain amount of time would suffice .yeah visa rules really suck in Europe.But he will never say on this forum how much it really cost him money wise and time wise to obtain said nationality.

3 years waiting.

12,000 baht official fee.

As an example,

3 years waiting.

12,000 baht official fee.

Sorry i dont think so,because it clearly states that a foreigner has to pay a minimum of 4 years of paying tax in Thailand .or has it changed again?

And, do you think a minimum-wage Thai has a chance in hell of even setting foot in your home country? If there were reciprocity and all things were even, YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE PERIOD. So stop griping.

Minimum wage Thai?, my wife with NO WAGE can easily, not only set foot, but immigrate to my country (England) tomorrow.

All she needs is a husband (me) with 62k GBP in the bank or an income of 18k GBP/year and it's a done deal.

(I can satisfy both requirements even though only one is needed)

If there were reciprocity in everything, I would be here as a Thai citizen already.

You can apply for Thai citizenship if you're married to a Thai.

Let me guess...you haven't.

You complain about the financial thresholds here, but look at the ones you've just quoted in the UK.

As I recently mentioned in one of the thread, the No of Farangs who are granted Thai citizenship is on average 6 per yr. this was the subject of a thread about 3 yrs ago. How many Thai's are granted citizenship per year in the Uk and other western countries ?.

• Like 1

How on earth you missed my standpoint in the OP I may never understand...

Your OP, in full ... "In an adjacent topic there are numerous claims that Thai nationals could be subject to some sort of retaliation in other countries when applying for visa or residential permits.

Personally, I'd be rather stunned if it turned out that any of the countries where I am a citizen exposes Thais to wrongful actions simply because Thai immigration laws are less than favourable. I am actually quite confident there's no such thing as a discussion like "now they treat us bad, we're going to treat them the same way. That'll teach them!"

So...what do you think? Are Thais subject to retaliation. And if not, do you think Thais SHOULD be treated the same way YOU are being treated by Thai immigration laws?"

I see no-where in the OP where you state that you "think that a Nation, any Nation, shouldn't have the right to decide who should enter and on what terms?"

So, I repeat the question ... " Do you think that a Nation, any Nation, shouldn't have the right to decide who should enter and on what terms?"

Just asking like ... coffee1.gif

That's because SO FEW APPLY, not because they're beung rejected. I don't know a single farang who has been rejected.

To say that it isn't a ridiculously tortuous process is rather an understatement however.

Since you have first-hand experience?

I see no-where in the OP where you state that you "think that a Nation, any Nation, shouldn't have the right to decide who should enter and on what terms?"

Eehh...no. And in a similar fashion I omitted my opinion on the value added tax on parsley, or my views on the logistic issues surrounding breeding of rabbits, for the simple reason that the OP didn't involve any of those issues.

Read the OP.

That's because SO FEW APPLY, not because they're beung rejected. I don't know a single farang who has been rejected.

Again you are wrong, approximately ONLY about 50 apply each year,for the simple reason that the process is so difficult and the chances of being successfully are so slim. OK you went through the process and were successful,well done,but you are an exception,not only to be granted Thai citizenship but also in the fact that you received all the necessary paperwork within 3 yrs. I have read of instances where an application was passed only for the final signature to be with held while the application waited in someone's in-tray for a couple of years.

I would be interested to know what financial requirements, salary,savings etc you had to prove. I do believe that some people,not all, obtained Thai citizenship thru having good business contacts and showing that they had helped the Thai economy, usually having started a large business here etc.

I know a couple who's acquired permanent residency and two who's got passports. Similarly to yourself, I dont know ANYONE who's entered the process and ended up being rejected.

I DO know an awful lot who moans like school girls about Thai immigration rules on TV...

Catch 22 situation.

Thai Special branch don't let you apply unless you will succeed.

UK immigration will allow anyone with the fee to fill in and submit the application.

As for can a country set whatever rules it requires for citizenship?

Apparently not, EEC states something about human rights to allow family life, seems to come to mind.

If you are married to a citizen, the foreign spouse may apply and be considered for citizenship, applies to all civilized countries.

Shame human rights laws don't apply to backward, corrupt dictatorships and banana republics.

A country can set any terms for citizenship. There are, however, international agreements and EU rules that applies to asylum seekers and immigrants as per https://www.coe.int/t/commissioner/activities/themes/Migrants/rightsofmigrants_en.asp

It's not applicable in this case, if you ask me, since a Thai visa applicant wouldn't end up in a war zone or similar in case application is rejected.

Again you are wrong, approximately ONLY about 50 apply each year,for the simple reason that the process is so difficult and the chances of being successfully are so slim. OK you went through the process and were successful,well done,but you are an exception,not only to be granted Thai citizenship but also in the fact that you received all the necessary paperwork within 3 yrs. I have read of instances where an application was passed only for the final signature to be with held while the application waited in someone's in-tray for a couple of years.

I would be interested to know what financial requirements, salary,savings etc you had to prove. I do believe that some people,not all, obtained Thai citizenship thru having good business contacts and showing that they had helped the Thai economy, usually having started a large business here etc.

You are only including males in this assumption, I presume?

(considering the ease at which females are able to acquire Thai citizenship when married to a Thai man)

Eehh...no. And in a similar fashion I omitted my opinion on the value added tax on parsley, or my views on the logistic issues surrounding breeding of rabbits, for the simple reason that the OP didn't involve any of those issues.

Read the OP.

Your selective quoting is 'par excellence' ... if you aren't a Lawyer ... you should be ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Look, you can either listen to ignorant barstool gossip, or to someone who has actually done it.

There's a form to fill out. A bunch of documents to submit. Two or three interviews. And a few years doing nothing but waiting.

If you think that's arduous, then what can I say -- don't do it.

But if you think they give away British or US passports without equally "arduous" hoops to jump through, you're sorely mistaken.