Immigration Laws - Are Thais Subject To Retaliation In Other countries?

Forethat

That's because SO FEW APPLY, not because they're beung rejected. I don't know a single farang who has been rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Again you are wrong, approximately ONLY about 50 apply each year,for the simple reason that the process is so difficult and the chances of being successfully are so slim. OK you went through the process and were successful,well done,but you are an exception,not only to be granted Thai citizenship but also in the fact that you received all the necessary paperwork within 3 yrs. I have read of instances where an application was passed only for the final signature to be with held while the application waited in someone's in-tray for a couple of years.

I would be interested to know what financial requirements, salary,savings etc you had to prove. I do believe that some people,not all, obtained Thai citizenship thru having good business contacts and showing that they had helped the Thai economy, usually having started a large business here etc.

Look, you can either listen to ignorant barstool gossip, or to someone who has actually done it.

There's a form to fill out. A bunch of documents to submit. Two or three interviews. And a few years doing nothing but waiting.

If you think that's arduous, then what can I say -- don't do it.

But if you think they give away British or US passports without equally "arduous" hoops to jump through, you're sorely mistaken.

I did not listen to ignorant barstool gossip, I read through official Thai government records.

That is why I can say to you that only approximately 50 farangs per year apply, out of which about 6 are successfully. I cannot comment on the US process of obtaining US citizenship. what I do know is that the process to obtain British citizenship is relatively easy, as can be seen by the number of applications that are successfully. I will concede that the process has been tightened up in the last couple of years, but still miles different to that here in Thailand.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because SO FEW APPLY, not because they're beung rejected. I don't know a single farang who has been rejected.

To say that it isn't a ridiculously tortuous process is rather an understatement however.

Since you have first-hand experience?

A friend of mine has been waiting for 6 years and another investigated it after paying taxes only to find that the change of address that his company had gone through after being here for however many years had reset the time count on his ability to apply.

I know 2 people who have it , and they worked for a company owned by a former prime minister. Sorted forthwith.....

• Like 1

Where is there an official government document that says how many applied? And how do you know how many were rejected instead of being still in the pipeline?

In my interview day, four farangs were interviewed. We kept in touch. All of us are now Thai citizens.

With your negative thought process, I can guarantee you never will be.

To say that it isn't a ridiculously tortuous process is rather an understatement however.

A friend of mine has been waiting for 6 years and another investigated it after paying taxes only to find that the change of address that his company had gone through after being here for however many years had reset the time count on his ability to apply.

I know 2 people who have it , and they worked for a company owned by a former prime minister. Sorted forthwith.....

Well, wonderful for them.

I've never even been in the same room as a Thai PM.

Well I admit to wanting to lobby my congress woman to introduce a bill hat would make all Thais in my county;

1) not be able to hold land

2) not be able to hold a majority share in their own business.

3) to be subject to having to leave the country ever 90 days, no matter how long the validity of a visa.

4) to accept outrageous racism and not object to being called "chink" or "slope" ( to their face, too!! )

5) to consistently get the low end of the internet spectrum.

6) to run around doing endless paper chases to get anything done, at all.

7) to have no rights of demonstration whatsoever.

8) to pay off officials to procure documents that should be free

Feel free to add

feel free to add

There is reciprocity in land ownership laws in some countries. Turkey, Taiwan and Korea (and maybe others) don't allow Thais to own land because their nationals are not allowed to own land in Thailand. Before 1967, when it was replaced by the current Amity treaty, Thailand had a treaty with US that allowed Americans to own land, if they were from US states that allowed foreigners to own land (not all states did in the 30s when the treaty was signed).

Russia practices reciprocity over visa regulations. US, UK and Israeli citizens get to fill in a massive form with myriad pointless questions in retaliation for what they put Russian visa applicants through. In contrast Thais can visit Russia without a visa according to a bilateral treaty. Brazil also retaliates against Americans by forcing them to get visas, while Thais and nationals of most countries that allow visaless travel to Brazilians don't need visas for Brazil.

• Like 1

I can't understand why a company change of address would affect anyone's eligibility. In fact there is no need to submit any company documents unless you are a shareholder in the company you work for. You need 3 years' of your personal income tax returns notarised by the revenue department and a letter from your employer confirming your employment. They would not even be aware that your employer had changed address.

Yes, influential people can make the process a lot faster but the applicants still need to be qualified. Some have been approved within a year with high profile sponsors.

Some one suggested it is easy for women with Thai husbands. The only difference is that they don't need to sing the national and royal anthems or be in employment but their husbands have to have income, although only B15k per month, instead. Other than that the process is the same and takes as long as for everyone else. Men with Thai wives since 2008 no longer need PR and don't have to sing but still need to be in employment, although the min salary is reduced to B40k per month, vs B80k for those without Thai wives.

There was some discussion about rejections. Although Special Branch tries to screen out those who are not qualified and would certainly be rejected, some still slip through and get rejected by the Interior Ministry, although it is a small number. These are people who fail the ministry's screening of their qualifications and therefore never get referred to the minister. I have never heard of anyone who actually received an official rejection from the minister, despite being fully qualified. The ministry is very legalistic and I believe everyone who is qualified is eventually processed, if they live long enough, but some may take a very long time.

Very few farangs apply. In the last 10 years or so approvals have averaged around 160 a year, including women with Thai husbands. Farang sounding name account for around 5-10%. Most of the males who applied historically have been Asians (with Chinese and Indians being the largest national groups) with their own small and medium sized businesses which provides a very strong motivations to apply. The mix is changing, however, owing to the 2008 amendment that exempts men with Thai wives from the need to have PR first. This combined with the recent dysfunctionality of the PR applicant process that has curtailed the pipeline of PRs eligible to apply for citizenship is starting to change the balance and I believe we will in future see a larger proportion of farangs being approved.

Well, wonderful for them.

I've never even been in the same room as a Thai PM.

They achieved it 30 years ago. Easy peezy

Again, wonderful for them.

High-power connections might help, but they're definitely not necessary as I have none.

I didn't say they were absolutely necessary, but, it helps.

I have an Indian acquaintance who just obtained his. He's very proud of it. I will ask him how easy it was, and whether he greased the wheels.

In my experience, my wife that has "No" desire to live in the west, was denied a visa to visit my family for 30 days.

On the other hand Thailand has allowed me easy access on arrival of a visa to enter the Country, and allowed me free access of movement around the country and the ability to cross its borders at will to get visa extensions that allowed me to remain in the country for 4 years prior to applying for a retirement visa.

I check on the land ownership laws that did not allow for non-Thai's to own land in Thailand, as my retirement plans where changed because Mexico relaxed its laws by allowing American's to purchase land in the country, that had the immediate affect of raising the cost of living in my old home town, where it was not economically possible for me to live there any more.

Thailand is a developing country, with an abundant work force, the government of the country, did not need any more unemployed immigrants to move into the country, I can only comment on the U.S. situation as that is the only experience I personally can comment on. As US residents will not take lower paying jobs or do work in certain occupation's because of the social stigma associated with that type of employment. As a result the US has many lower level jobs they need to import foreign labor to fulfill, as a result the U.S. allows immigrants to work in the country.

As has been in the news over the last 10 years, is the U.S. intolerance of immigrants, especially from Mexico and have past many laws aimed at immigrant population and is also a platform the Republican party ran on in the national Presendential election that was soundly defeated in the last two national vote.

There is more to the story as Thai expats look at their home countries through "Rose colored glasses" that can do no wrong yet the chose to leave their home country to live and complain about Thailand, Why? may be is their access to cheap sex from young women!

Cheers:wai2.gif

Good points, all.

Well I admit to wanting to lobby my congress woman to introduce a bill hat would make all Thais in my county;

3) to be subject to having to leave the country ever 90 days, no matter how long the validity of a visa.

4) to accept outrageous racism and not object to being called "chink" or "slope" ( to their face, too!! )

Feel free to add

feel free to add

I think you have a good chance if your congress woman is of THAI ORIGIN !!

If you come from Chicago, you'll have one. A most courageous and wonderful Lady!!!!!

This topic really has no purpose other than to incite another volley between the perpetually uptight foreign residents who see every little thing as a slight against them personally and go on to generalize it to another US versus Them rant.

Everything in Thailand is not exactly like it is in America or UK or Sweden or Australia. This is a small, less developed, poorer country than those in the west. But it also has a lot to offer to those of us who choose to live here. Thais are less likely to even have that choice. Being a smaller country with fewer resources Thailand is naturally more protective and concerned about being over run by foreigner. Even in the US, now that employment is a bigger issue, Immigration restrictions are ramping up. It's natural to want to protect what you view as yours, but the violence against foreigners in the US and other countries is also far worse than anything in Thailand. And in places like Arizona if you don't look sufficiently Anglo, the police are supposed to demand to see your papers regardless of your citizenship.

Is everything the same here as it is in the west? Of course not. Viva la difference. That's a major reason why most of us left the west and came here. Is the difference some sinister conspiracy that really causes you any problem? You have the option of packing up and leaving. Those who are constantly critical of life in Thailand will whine just as much wherever they settle.

• Like 1

This topic really has no purpose other than to incite another volley between the perpetually uptight foreign residents who see every little thing as a slight against them personally and go on to generalize it to another US versus Them rant.

Everything in Thailand is not exactly like it is in America or UK or Sweden or Australia. This is a small, less developed, poorer country than those in the west. But it also has a lot to offer to those of us who choose to live here. Thais are less likely to even have that choice. Being a smaller country with fewer resources Thailand is naturally more protective and concerned about being over run by foreigner. Even in the US, now that employment is a bigger issue, Immigration restrictions are ramping up. It's natural to want to protect what you view as yours, but the violence against foreigners in the US and other countries is also far worse than anything in Thailand. And in places like Arizona if you don't look sufficiently Anglo, the police are supposed to demand to see your papers regardless of your citizenship.

Is everything the same here as it is in the west? Of course not. Viva la difference. That's a major reason why most of us left the west and came here. Is the difference some sinister conspiracy that really causes you any problem? You have the option of packing up and leaving. Those who are constantly critical of life in Thailand will whine just as much wherever they settle.

Perhaps some ''whine'' a little cos after one has been here a few years one sees how the place is run and how the countries funds are used and how funds are perhaps not 100% used for projects whistling.gif , and those who have ''made'' money use it to dodge the law that the poor cannot. Folk must even find money to get a kid in a good school to grease a palm. I can go on. sad.png Where I live, the alloted cash is not being spent on the place, l wonder why.

• Like 1

It was and continues to be an expensive exercise bringing my wife to the UK. My wife qualifies to apply for citizenship and subsequent passport within, and finally, the next few weeks.

As MAJIC so eloquently states, there are distinct benefits. My wife has never paid for contraception and regularly receives follow up appointments checking blood pressure and general wellbeing prior to reissue of prescriptions. She can visit the doctor anytime she sees fit, for any condition, and rightly so. She pays tax and NI and never applied or received any physical financial benefit from the Government.

My wife works hard and saves her money. I don't touch her money and this allows her to save. It's the right thing to do.

The UK offers far more reward if one is willing to apply oneself.

And that goes in Aust as well as other countries

No certainly not.

There is no comparison to suggest otherwise.

Why?

Thais can come into the UK on a Settlement Visa. (roughly 33 months)

They do not have to check in every 90 days,either to the Home Office, UKBA, or the UK Police.

The same applies for their next Visa,which is ILR (Indefinate Leave to Remain)

And allows for applying for Citizenship within 5 years,of having arrived (previously 3+years,my wife obtained Citizenship in 3 years and 3 month,which has now changed to 5 years at the end of this month Oct 2013)

They can start work in the UK from day one. (without a work permit) and has many months to aquire, a free of charge NI no. (National Insurance Number )

They can buy Land or property in their own name.

They can buy a vehicle in their own name.Car or Motorcycle!

They can use a Thai Driving Licence for one year on arrival (before needing a UK Provisional Licence).

During the time they are subject to Immigration control,they are only obliged to contact the UKBA/Home office to notify a change of address,and/or a breakdown of the relationship, or a contravention of the Visa conditions,which initially the Sponsor is responsible for,any notifications.

They can also get free Health care under the NHS on a Settlement Visa +.Their own GP and any Surgery or other treatment,requiring Out patient or In Patient treatment,again free of charge, the only payment they have to pay is £7.80 for Prescriptions,the same as everyone else in the UK,who are non exempt of charges.

My Information is that there are 35,000 Thai Permanent Residents in the UK,according to 2012 figures!

Far from subject to any Retaliation in this Country,I am pleased to say Thai people in the UK are not discriminated against,our laws would not tolerate it!

If only the reverse were true.

And to the OP, compare apples with apples. Once you've got the permission to stay in the UK for example, you have the same rights and priveleges as any other citizen, forever. Does that apply here? No, not even close.

• Like 2

No certainly not.

Why?

They do not have to check in every 90 days,either to the Home Office, UKBA, or the UK Police.

The same applies for their next Visa,which is ILR  (Indefinate Leave to Remain) 

And allows for applying for Citizenship within 5 years,of having arrived (previously 3+years,my wife obtained Citizenship in 3 years and 3 month,which has now changed to 5 years at the end of this month Oct 2013)

They can start work in the UK from day one. (without a work permit) and has many months to aquire, a free of charge NI no. (National Insurance Number )

They can use a Thai Driving Licence for one year on arrival (before needing a UK Provisional Licence).

During the time they are subject to Immigration control,they are only obliged to contact the UKBA/Home office to notify a change of address,and/or a breakdown of the relationship, or a contravention of the Visa conditions,which initially the Sponsor is responsible for,any notifications.

They can also get free Health care under the NHS on a Settlement Visa +.Their own GP and any Surgery or other treatment,requiring Out patient or In Patient treatment,again free of charge, the only payment they have to pay is £7.80 for Prescriptions,the same as everyone else in the UK,who are non exempt of charges.

My Information is that there are 35,000 Thai Permanent Residents in the UK,according to 2012 figures!

Far from subject to any Retaliation in this Country,I am pleased to say Thai people in the UK are not discriminated against,our laws would not tolerate it!

And to the OP, compare apples with apples. Once you've got the permission to stay in the UK for example, you have the same rights and priveleges as any other citizen, forever. Does that apply here? No, not even close.

It applies when you become a citizen here. So what ate you waiting for?

Personally, I'd be rather stunned if it turned out that any of the countries where I am a citizen exposes Thais to wrongful actions simply because Thai immigration laws are less than favourable. I am actually quite confident there's no such thing as a discussion like "now they treat us bad, we're going to treat them the same way. That'll teach them!"

How easy is it for a Thai to get a visa to go live in the countries you hold citizenship of?

My guess is its a lot more difficult than for you to get a visa to live in Thailand and my certainty is that your government(s) are more concerned with trade between themselves and Thailand than they are the gripes of a few of their citizens who have chosen to live elsewhere.

All a UK citizen had to do was marry someone from another country, and provided they were in regular employment and had their own home, they could bring them to the UK, then after five years, their spouse could get a British passport. I know of one Thai person who married a UK citizen, left him after two years and is now living in the UK permanently. No border runs, no 90 day reporting, given accommodation via the British taxpayer. Can you imagine Thailand doing anything like that?

No certainly not.

Why?

The same applies for their next Visa,which is ILR  (Indefinate Leave to Remain) 

It applies when you become a citizen here. So what ate you waiting for?

You're seriously suggesting that Thai PR is comparable to what is received in the UK? Limited to 100 people per year, almost impossible to get, and not even given out for years now to anyone unless they are super rich and well connected. Give me a break.

That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

How easy is it for a Thai to get a visa to go live in the countries you hold citizenship of?

My guess is its a lot more difficult than for you to get a visa to live in Thailand and my certainty is that your government(s) are more concerned with trade between themselves and Thailand than they are the gripes of a few of their citizens who have chosen to live elsewhere.

I live in New Zealand. My Thai girlfriend got her working holiday visa within 2 weeks (applying from Bangkok). She got her 2 year work visa within 6 weeks, applying after being here for 1 year. She got her residence within 4 weeks, after being here for 1.5 years. I very much doubt that Thai immigration would exercise the same consideration and respect which NZ Immigration extended to my lovely lady who is loving her time here, making friends outside of the Thai community and balancing the good of Thai and Western cultures while trying to weed herself of the bad.

I own an apartment in our name, which she has the right to take half the value of should we split up, even though I pay the full mortgage (the law here is outrageously ignorant of the purchasing pattern differences between stereotypical men and women).

There has been discussion of us both opening a business so that she can do something with less ups and downs and more enjoyment than what she does currently. She will own the majority of the business and I will have a small percentage of it because she wants to say thank you for helping her set up.

I have taught her the "system" here, to help her have a better life should we ever split and am prepared to lose half of my property, even though she insists she will not take it as it belongs to me and she does not ever want us to be apart.

Absolute respect to the NZ Immigration service for allowing my lady to be here with me, but I see plenty who do not deserve to be here. Many refuse to integrate, are not interested in integrating, not interested in our culture, and openly exploit our open system by buying into the property markets, opening businesses and sending the profits back when they feel the time is right. I am talking about Thais as well as a few other noticeable ethnic groups. (Malaysians, Indians and mainland Chinese predominantly). I wonder if they also have immigration knocking on their doors to interview them at 7am as we had?

The doors should be harder to open, vetting should be more difficult to get those with the right intentions in, and keep those entering "open" western countries not providing reciprocal rights in their home countries out. Unfortunately our governments profit in the form of taxation and temporary geographical asset reallocation and therefore doubt little will be done until the land on which we grew up on no longer belongs to us, is too expensive for us to buy back because we do not have the means to pay for it, and we cannot buy in the cheaper closed global markets.

Sorry for the rant, my thoughts are as clear and concise as I could make them.

Edited by TheGhostWithin
  • Like 2

Reading OP's post I don't know what the point is, the situation of western countries are so different from Thailand's.

For example, western countries don't let people in in the first place, tourist visas are severely restricted and some Thai or Russian wanting to work in France/Germany/USA/UK, etc. has virtually no chance of being allowed to do so.

So no retaliation needed.

Whaaat????If you are an Eastern European, go into the UK, do the job cheaper than a British national, then you will get accomodation courtesy of the British taxpayer. Let anyone outside of Thailand try that with the Thais.

There is an historical difference between why the US, Europe etc treat Thai's differently, and that is due to the poverty gap, which means Thai's who were given tourist visas as easily as we foreigners receive them in Thailand would simply never leave the country everyone knows that.

That may well change as Thailand gets richer and the gap closes - it was not so long ago that Brits had to have visas to enter the US and Australia for the very same reason. Thailand has offered an easy tourist entry system for a long time owing to its need to for foreign tourists currency - it is an enormous business for them - that is the only reason they do it, not because they want to be nice to foreigners - so let's please not get all fuzzy about how good the the Thailand Government is for letting us in so easily - it is purely good business sense to do so.

When it comes to Thailand offering long stay visas they are generously available I think, compared to Thai's trying to get the same in 'Western' countries - but again, there is sound business sense behind these long term visas - foreign currency once again - they get loads of cash from us for offering this service, and as we can afford it we benefit - thank you Thailand - but there the benefits to us 'one year residents' end - even if we are married to a Thai and have Thai born Children we are treated pretty appallingly compared to Thai's who (once allowed to reside in our countries) receive the same humanitarian rights as local citizens, which is far far from what we receive here - effectively we have no rights at all compared to 'accepted' long term Thai's in our countries - it is nothing short of scandalous, inhumane and totally unnecessary. What Thailand gains from treating us this was is a mystery to me, but there seems to be no end to it.

• Like 1

Feel free to add

feel free to add

You've managed to mix in some truth with some complete hogwash BS. But I don't doubt that you personally feel this way. I would never want to live in a country that I felt treated me this horribly. Why would you?

There is a lot of truth in McWhines post. I can only talk for the UK here. Despite a lot of unfairness in the way Thailand treats us expats. Thailand is still a much better country to live in, they do not have anywhere near the level of taxation the UK does, council tax, TV licence, the cost of running a car, the cost of fuel, etc etc etc. The answer to the question Why would you? is it just shows you how bad the UK is that so many of it's expats prefer to live here.

There is an historical difference between why the US, Europe etc treat Thai's differently, and that is due to the poverty gap, which means Thai's who were given tourist visas as easily as we foreigners receive them in Thailand would simply never leave the country everyone knows that.

Tens of thousands of foreigners have done the same in Thailand.

What is interesting is the many posts on TV with regards to Thai immigration laws and how expats are being treated "unfair" and if only farangs were able to buy land and yada yada yada.

There are also a remarkable number of posts where the author suggests that their home country should apply some sort of distinction based on nationalities and adopt an "eye for en eye" policy towards citizens of countries that enforce a more stringent immigration policy.

This is utter childish rubbish, if you ask me. I can only assume that this view is only represented by an exceedingly small number of expats, and by no means represent a generic view.

The truth is, that those who believe Thailand are treating farangs as <deleted>, have none or very little knowledge of how Thais are being treated in their own home countries in Europe, where - with very few exceptions - arbitrary bullshit sets the standard for an inhumane and dangerous view on humans and their social life, something that sometimes inhibits people to move across borders even though families and their wellbeing are at stake.

The simple truth is that unless you are extradited out of Thailand you would be able to live there if you wanted to, where as a Thai wouldn't even be able to cross the border of most European countries unless someone was prepared to sponsor the visit.

The truth is that Thailand is one of the most accessible countries there is in terms of immigration. Contrary, if a Thai child and mother had the option of reporting to the authorities every 90 days, if that meant they could stay in the country where they have lived for many years, I'm pretty confident they would gladly accept that option. But the average expat cries like a little girl because they have to do exactly this.

Most expats should be extremely happy that Thailand doesn't start treating farangs the same way Thais are being treated abroad.

Sorry! But you are wrong, Thailand is not one of the most accessible countries there is in terms of IMMIGRATION. We are not immigrants, we are guest, who can easily be deported. What is true is that it is easy for nationals of most countries to obtain entry into Thailand,by usually gaining a restricted visa at the point of entry. Very easy to get into, but not so easy to stay if the authorities want you out and while you are IN Thailand you have very little rights. In comparison the entry requirements into the UK are very strict, yet once you are in, you can enjoy many rights, such as to own land, obtain British citizenship etc, and of course it can be very difficult for the authorities to deport you.

If the requirements to get into the UK are so strict, why is the country so badly over run with emigrants? It does not matter if these emigrants are Eastern European, Asian or whatever. they were not born in the UK. So despite the fact that the UK must obey European rules from Brussels or whatever. The UK is far too over crowded with emigrants. Thailand would never allow any of that nonsense. So, despite the way we are treated in Thailand. the UK does not even come close in comparison.

• Like 1

Immigration Laws - Are Thais Subject To Retaliation In Other countries?

Retaliation for what?

If you are a Westerner you can come here for study, work, retirement, marriage on one year extensions very easily, or as a tourist for months at a time! Arriving as a tourist you don't even need a visa if your stay is less than 30 days (flying in) which I guess 95% of tourist's time here is.

Why on earth does that need to be 'retaliated' against? :huh:

If my wife comes to Australia on a tourist visa longer than 90 days, she has a multi-entry visa with every entry being not longer than 90 days. (sound familiar?).

This is not so for every foreigner visiting Australia, but only for those coming from a country outside a given list.

It so happens that it is a lot harder to do a border run from Australia! If this is not retaliation, I do not know what is!!!

If my wife comes to Australia on a tourist visa longer than 90 days, she has a multi-entry visa with every entry being not longer than 90 days. (sound familiar?).

This is not so for every foreigner visiting Australia, but only for those coming from a country outside a given list.

It so happens that it is a lot harder to do a border run from Australia! If this is not retaliation, I do not know what is!!!

Even if could do a border run from Australia, it would not work. It would not reset the clock like Thailand allows it to do. If you tried to live perpetually in a Western country as a "tourist" by stepping over the border and back every one, two, or three months, you'd be denied entry as it would be clear you are not a tourist but settling in.

See how good farangs have it in Thailand?

I think there is a topic running about Japan making it less difficult for Thais traveling to Japan,well guess what Many Thais are taking advantage of this and overstaying and illegally working there in the "industry".

Once upon a time Thais could travel to some scandinavian country's without visas ,and guess what happend there........