Phuket 'volcano' hoax causes panic among Russians

webfact

Phuket 'volcano' hoax causes panic among Russians

1382092322_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- A picture of Wednesday night’s SuperCheap fire posted on Facebook prompted Russians on the island and in Russia to fear a volcano had erupted.

The image, which shows smoke billowing from behind a hill in Phuket Town, carried the warning that everybody should get their money, documents and travel to Phuket Town Bus Terminal to catch a waiting bus that would take passengers to safety.

It caused some Phuket-resident Russians to fear the worst and post desperate and panic-stricken questions, alarming relatives back in Russia.

Eventually though, the hoax was revealed by fellow Facebook netizens, and the post author was threatened with “prygden” being put in his pants.

The Phuket News is still uncertain what that is.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-%E2%80%98volcano%E2%80%99-hoax-causes-panic-among-russians-42427.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-19

the post author was threatened with prygden being put in his pants.

I pay for such thrills, but what is "prygden"?

I think it is the Russian term for a pigeon.

And the last thing anyone would want in their pants is a red hot evil pigeon from hell.

• Like 2

the post author was threatened with prygden being put in his pants.

I pay for such thrills, but what is "prygden"?

I think it is the Russian term for a pigeon.

And the last thing anyone would want in their pants is a red hot evil pigeon from hell.

Already have a pecker down there anyways.squab anyone.

Does believing what you see with your own eyes count as stupid Rob, especially if what you are seeing is something known to exist?

I don't think so.

Later you can do a face palm, but at the time it's happening..........

Sure you got a point there, im not saying I would not fall for it. My point was more that people were slagging of the Russians while acting all smart themselves while in the good old US of A they fell for a similar joke.

That was more the point not actually about being stupid. Though one would think that if a volcano became active some seismic activity was noted and it would be on the news.

• Like 1

Was there a "Red Dawn" too? Dumber than a bag of hair (but no monopoly on that attribute, for sure). I lived near Mt St Helens when it blew back in '80. "Oh that's nice" and went on installing speakers in gf's car. Volcanoes are common on ring of fire, that is why it's called that. Name one other volcano in Thailand, please.

Does believing what you see with your own eyes count as stupid Rob, especially if what you are seeing is something known to exist?

I don't think so.

Later you can do a face palm, but at the time it's happening..........

Sure you got a point there, im not saying I would not fall for it. My point was more that people were slagging of the Russians while acting all smart themselves while in the good old US of A they fell for a similar joke.

That was more the point not actually about being stupid. Though one would think that if a volcano became active some seismic activity was noted and it would be on the news.

Agree with that.

Almost everyone jumps if someone leaps out and shouts 'boo'

Was there a "Red Dawn" too? Dumber than a bag of hair (but no monopoly on that attribute, for sure). I lived near Mt St Helens when it blew back in '80. "Oh that's nice" and went on installing speakers in gf's car. Volcanoes are common on ring of fire, that is why it's called that. Name one other volcano in Thailand, please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_volcanoes_in_Thailand

You're welcome.

• Like 1

I also lived "near" (150 miles north) of St. Helens when it blew (hello neighbor). A blast wave shook our house like a dynamite blast.

Yes, the Russians are about as ignorant about the events accompanying a volcanic eruption as were most Westerners about the sea receding before a tsunami onslaught (Thailand, 2004).

Sent from my tin can via string.

• Like 2

One can not help but speculate that if TAT et all EMPLOYED some native Russian speakers to handle news and social media messaging that such cock-ups would not occur.

I think that they do already, with signs and menus in Russian. I think it is the second language in the south.

One can not help but speculate that if TAT et all EMPLOYED some native Russian speakers to handle news and social media messaging that such cock-ups would not occur.

I think that they do already, with signs and menus in Russian. I think it is the second language in the south.

But nothing about the lack of volcanoes on the island then? cheesy.gif

In 1908 the Russians had their own E.L.E. (extinction level event).

A powerful explosion occurred near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in Central Siberia.

'This event – now widely known as the Tunguska event –
is believed to have been caused by an incoming meteor or comet,
which never actually struck Earth but instead exploded in the atmosphere,
causing what is known as an air burst, three to six miles (5–10 kilometers) above Earth’s surface.'

Maybe over last 100 years folklore has added earthquakes and fire breathing volcanoes,
and even tsunamis are possible in central Siberia when you're downing a few vodkas around the camp fire!

Considering where Phuket's located it really isn't that surprising a few Russians may have been a little cautious.

Lampang (Mae Moh) Extinct biggrin.png

(edit)

K. Sunderland (post #19), way more on top of it thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_volcanoes_in_Thailand

You're welcome.

Cool clap2.gif