The Olympus OM-D E-M1

My new toy. Finally got around to getting the Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens. (80-300mm FOV equiv on 35mm camera). Also got a Carry Speed Slim strap for the weight. smile.png Shown mounted on my Olympus E-M1. Between the two lenses I have 12-150 (24-300mm equiv) range at fixed f/2.8.

18173451544_0e2482278d_c.jpg

Congratulations! I am sure you will enjoy it. Stunning IQ and almost a macro lens too!

And for an added bonus there is another firmware update for the E-M1 on the way.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! I am sure you will enjoy it. Stunning IQ and almost a macro lens too!

And for an added bonus there is another firmware update for the E-M1 on the way.

Yep, June 16 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/803334-e-m1-firmware-update/#entry9466502

Really impressed with Olympus's commitment to regular updates. Not like my phone. biggrin.png

BTW, when I was at the camera store I saw they had the 300mm f/4 PRO lens. Only 89,000 Baht!

They had it labeled as f/2 which is obviously wrong as the next up is the 300mm f/2.8 at $6499 USD. B&H Photo doesn't even have the 300mm f/4 available yet so not clear what the store actually had.

• 11 months later...

Where did you buy the lens and where did you buy the strap?

Did you happen to get the 1.4 teleconverter?

Since this has been posted.. do you still like and use the lens?

My new toy. Finally got around to getting the Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens. (80-300mm FOV equiv on 35mm camera). Also got a Carry Speed Slim strap for the weight. smile.png Shown mounted on my Olympus E-M1. Between the two lenses I have 12-150 (24-300mm equiv) range at fixed f/2.8.

Where did you buy the lens and where did you buy the strap?

Did you happen to get the 1.4 teleconverter?

Since this has been posted.. do you still like and use the lens?

Question not directed to me, but going to answer part of it anyway!

I bought the lens, as I do for most camera gear, from AVcamera. Booked it when it was released and they sent it by EMS to Pattaya and I got it the day after it arrived in Thailand.

Along with the 12-40mm Pro and 75mm F1.8; I think it is an indispensable lens to own for M43, especially if you want to shoot sports and the like. It also focuses amazingly close so is better than a macro for larger subjects, especially those that might run away if you stick a macro lens next to them. Some examples:

18989213029_d149ffe77d_o.jpgP6260058-Edit by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

24617709300_cffe1015dc_o.jpgOL097722 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

22515880823_09c1eb1585_o.jpgPB190009 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

15388697384_8a58c02233_b.jpgPC110171-2 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

I have the 1.4 converter but don't use it very much; have convinced myself it can degrade the quality of moving targets.

Can you remember/estimate roughly how far away you were from shot 2 and 3, and also if they were cropped?

Both cropped because I keep taking shots and moving slowly forward till they bugger off, and both disappeared before I got as close as I watned. I am not very good at estimating distances, but the specs tell you how close you can focus, a distance that remains the same whether you are using 40mm or 150mm.

This is a couple of uncropped shots (flowers are slower to run away ) to give you an idea of the size of object that you can fit in the frame.

27371615192_2b5f147db2_b.jpgOL130776 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

27399179161_b3e2c450a1_b.jpgOL130845 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Beautiful photos... now I see why you posted up your macro for sale and a reason I scratched it off my list. This will serve much of what I need. Much appreciated the insight and these photos.

I can see why it would be indispensable, being able to reach out with some of those shots.. candid. Very nice.

A few places are offering a package deal on the 1.4 and I thought for non action shots, why not?

I will cruise through their website.

Thanks again.

Beautiful photos... now I see why you posted up your macro for sale and a reason I scratched it off my list. This will serve much of what I need. Much appreciated the insight and these photos.

I can see why it would be indispensable, being able to reach out with some of those shots.. candid. Very nice.

A few places are offering a package deal on the 1.4 and I thought for non action shots, why not?

I will cruise through their website.

Thanks again.

When they released firmware 4 with the focus stacking, I decided to keep the macro and now use it more than I did. Can do stuff like this (29 images):

27144858552_dedf2f0efb_b.jpgBroken shell by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Great picture FracturedRabbit.

Just for clarification. At the end of your comment is (29 images). Is that 29 bracketed photos? Mai kow jai.

I was in BC last week and they were offering big discounts. I've decided to start off with the M5ii and see how I feel.

Great picture FracturedRabbit.

Just for clarification. At the end of your comment is (29 images). Is that 29 bracketed photos? Mai kow jai.

I was in BC last week and they were offering big discounts. I've decided to start off with the M5ii and see how I feel.

Yes, it is the result of merging 29 photos, each focused at a different point (merged using Helicon Focus). Very useful to have the camera do this automatically, and I believe the M5ii has the same feature. I wrote some notes on the feature:

http://www.pattayadays.com/2015/11/focus-stacking-using-e-m1-firmware-4-0/

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. First time I have checked back on this topic in a while. There are some great new images since I last looked.

This post is more likely for those folks that are still on the fence about getting an E-M1 (are there any left LOL) because I'm sure those of us that have one are very happy. What the following two images are for is to show what a great IS (image stabilization) system the E-M1 has.

The first is the full image I shot of the sanctuary and alter at St. Stephen's Basilica, Budapest, Hungary. The second image is a 100% crop of the section just below the white angel.

This was shot hand-held, ISO 200, 14mm (28mm equivalent), with an exposure of 1 sec. at f/8. There was a bit of post in Lightroom but no sharpening applied.

By the way, the lens I was using was not one of the Olympus Pro lenses. It was a Tamron 14-150 f/3.5-5.8 DiIII C001 which is my basic travel lens.

So, here are the images.

Comments appreciated.

David

post-107798-0-82113100-1467300529_thumb.

post-107798-0-05268700-1467300551_thumb.

Hi all. First time I have checked back on this topic in a while. There are some great new images since I last looked.

This post is more likely for those folks that are still on the fence about getting an E-M1 (are there any left LOL) because I'm sure those of us that have one are very happy. What the following two images are for is to show what a great IS (image stabilization) system the E-M1 has.

The first is the full image I shot of the sanctuary and alter at St. Stephen's Basilica, Budapest, Hungary. The second image is a 100% crop of the section just below the white angel.

This was shot hand-held, ISO 200, 14mm (28mm equivalent), with an exposure of 1 sec. at f/8. There was a bit of post in Lightroom but no sharpening applied.

By the way, the lens I was using was not one of the Olympus Pro lenses. It was a Tamron 14-150 f/3.5-5.8 DiIII C001 which is my basic travel lens.

So, here are the images.

Comments appreciated.

David

attachicon.gifBasilica-1.jpg

attachicon.gifBasilica-2.jpg

Tremendous example of IS (and good hand-holding technique from you); but why F8? MFT images tend to degrade beyond around F7.1 because of diffraction and you would probably have had everything in focus at F4 at that focal length.

But then you wouldn't have had such a good IS example!

So, here are the images.

Comments appreciated.

David

Tremendous example of IS (and good hand-holding technique from you); but why F8? MFT images tend to degrade beyond around F7.1 because of diffraction and you would probably have had everything in focus at F4 at that focal length.

@FracturedRabbit, thanks for the kind words.

As for the f-stop, I have no idea why I was shooting at f/8 considering how generally dark the basilica was. Using f/3.5 or f/4 would have made more sense. At least the IS saved me. I love my E-M1.

David

So, here are the images.

Comments appreciated.

David

@FracturedRabbit, thanks for the kind words.

As for the f-stop, I have no idea why I was shooting at f/8 considering how generally dark the basilica was. Using f/3.5 or f/4 would have made more sense. At least the IS saved me. I love my E-M1.

David

Me too!

Archived