Delays Foreseen In Opening Of New Airport

george

Delays foreseen in opening of new airport - - Continued from here.

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Deputy Transport Minister Gen. Chainant Charoensiri has expressed his concern that a planned opening of Suvarnabhumi international airport this July could be delayed due to extensive repairs on the passenger terminal and of roofing fabric on concourse buildings.

Leading civil engineers from the Air Force and journalists to inspect progress on the construction work of the airport in Bangkok's neighbouring province of Samut Prakan Friday, Gen. Chainant said 14

sections of roofing fabric on concourse buildings had to be replaced while another 81 sheets needed repairs and this could take a few months.

Refurbishment of the duty free shopping area, to be operated by King's Power Duty Free, is also required as many cracks were found on the floors of concourse buildings and water leaked from them.

Construction contractor ITO Joint Venture, however, reiterated that construction would be completed this June but tests on facilities could be delayed. Its staff said the airport should be opened within this year but they declined to specify the exact month.

The caretaker government had earlier set the deadline for the opening of Suvarnabhumi international airport for this July.

-- TNA 2006-04-29

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Repairs", "Refurbishment".........................

For heavens sake this is a brand new building.

What is the man talking about?

Grab the contractor by the nuts and tell him to get the job done right.

Refurbishment of the duty free shopping area, to be operated by King's Power Duty Free, is also required as many cracks were found on the floors of concourse buildings and water leaked from them

Obviously going to be a modern, state of the art, 21st century building Thailand is going to be proud of.

Me and my beautiful, exotic, sexy and graceful Thai wife, [Nat,] hope the goddam place never opens anyway.

We only live 10 min. drive from the present apt. and we have an Air Force sticker that allows us to cross along the perim. rd. Giving us quick entry to the International Terminal, to collect our visiters.

"OK darling, I'm coming right now." :o:D

That's because the contractor's haven't finished robbing the Taksin Administration. It will take longer to loot the treausry. Pity the poor shareholders of AAT. PUBLIC COMPANY LTD.

But they can buy more ads on foreign television stations. "We are opening our skies" It is just gonna take a little longer.

Edited by dotcom

Me and my beautiful, exotic, sexy and graceful Thai wife, [Nat,] hope the goddam place never opens anyway.

We only live 10 min. drive from the present apt. and we have an Air Force sticker that allows us to cross along the perim. rd. Giving us quick entry to the International Terminal, to collect our visiters.

"OK darling, I'm coming right now." :rolleyes::wub:

I hope it is at least delayed until after Nov 1st when I return, let them have a few months testing first.

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Deputy Transport Minister Gen. Chainant Charoensiri has expressed his concern that a planned opening of Suvarnabhumi international airport this July could be delayed due to extensive repairs on the passenger terminal and of roofing fabric on concourse buildings.

Leading civil engineers from the Air Force and journalists to inspect progress on the construction work of the airport in Bangkok's neighbouring province of Samut Prakan Friday, Gen. Chainant said 14

sections of roofing fabric on concourse buildings had to be replaced while another 81 sheets needed repairs and this could take a few months.

Refurbishment of the duty free shopping area, to be operated by King's Power Duty Free, is also required as many cracks were found on the floors of concourse buildings and water leaked from them.

Construction contractor ITO Joint Venture, however, reiterated that construction would be completed this June but tests on facilities could be delayed. Its staff said the airport should be opened within this year but they declined to specify the exact month.

The caretaker government had earlier set the deadline for the opening of Suvarnabhumi international airport for this July.

-- TNA 2006-04-29

Sounds like the cantine is fixed after all....who said there are no good news? :o

Situation normal for Thai construction.... The workers are great, but the owners of the construction companies and the people who receive their "lunch" in brown paper bags don't really care about getting the job right. Ever noticed how quickly supposedly new roads deteriorate here?

This is starting to sound like Manila Terminal 3. That terminal was supposed to open in 2002. It's still not open and last month the ceiling collapsed in the arrivals area.

At least with the present terminals in Bangkok, we don't have to suffer through anything like the agony of Terminal 1 in Manila.

One of my Thai friends was working on this airport years ago as an engineer. He quit in disgust at the rampant corruption. Nobody has mentioned the comapny given the 1 billion baht a year contract for running the ground services.

It seems this company is a total mystery, nobody wants to know who is secretly behind it. It was registered in Singapore by a couple of lackeys. The whole job has been tainted by the usual snouts lining up at the trough for their 10-20% commission.

Then there was the bomb scanners purchased at some ridiculously inflated price by some Thai Rak Thai politicions. They will never have an enquiry into this airport as it would expose just how corrupt the whole system really is.

From what I was told every single contract was bent with the ruling elite enriching themselves on the back of the taxpayer. Nothing new :o

-- TNA 2006-04-29

Sounds like the cantine is fixed after all....who said there are no good news? :o

AND they will get to pay to fix the cracks. Time & Materials Baby!!!!

It is one thing to take secret commissions, but when materials are substituted with inferior ones you are endangering people's safety.

In Thailand you have the people who give the contracts taking bribes to give out the jobs to mates or family. You then have inflated quotes accepted for the job. Then materials are scammed by using lower quality products or not even providing them.

This can take on many forms from skimping on cement to not putting the required amounts of steel in concrete. So in the end vast amounts are pocketed and an inferior structure is built.

Then there is the issue of influential people buying up the land around the airport to build housing estates. Permits are fast tracked and environmental laws totally ignored.

Take the Villa Santi project on Patong Beach. It is being built at a ridiculous angle to the ground. I understand the law states no building should be built on a slope of 30% or more. I may be wrong and exemptions may be allowed. This is also the case in Surin beach. My friend who works in the Civil service tells me most of these buildings are technically illegal.

At the rear of Patong you have many structures built on high slopes over other buildings. It is clear this is a disaster waiting to happen. Many buildings sink piers but what is to stop the houses or buildings just sliding off under enough pressure from rain or shifting ground? Much of Patong was swamp and paddy not that long ago. Many of the structures have not been up long in terms of a buildings expected lifespan.

I remember asking and engineer about this and he said God help Patong if a small earthquake hits it, half the place will fall down.

I have a nameless friend high up in the civil service in Phuket. He receives bribes of 15 million or more on a regular basis. He says some of the big fish pocket upwards of 250 baht million a year in bribes.

To enter this club you must have big bucks to buy your way in to join the gravy train. :o

People like you are so naive. It doesnt work that way, not in Thailand, not in Europe, not in nowhere............

Update:

Suvarnabhumi Airport to be opened in July as scheduled: Chidchai

BANGKOK: -- Acting caretaker Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya Saturday denied that the new Suvarnabhumi Airport's runways had developed cracks.

He said anyone who said the runways had developed cracks should back it up with fact or else rumours or untrue reports would cause damages to the country.

Chidchai said the new airport would be opened in July as scheduled.

He said he would call a meeting of Cabinet members concerned with the airport construction to a meeting after the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

--The Nation 2006-04-29

===============================================================

Oh well; at least nobody will ever acuse you of being slightly 'selfish' huh . . . . . .

Skydiver ? ? ? ? Why don't you try a jump without a parachute . . . . . . . . :D

Since when did people expect a good quality building. When the main objective of the controllers is to syphon money from mega projects, who cares about the end result.

===============================================================

Right-on, Skip' - in fact: if you don't see some poor labourers 'labouring' then the big boys aren't filling their pockets . . . . . .

I would be very, very interested to see the initial conclussions from that famous Kunying Jurravan (remember; that honest Attorney General, who was successfully rail-roaded by Taksin for 2 1/2 years).

TIT and yet: I love this country !

:o

-- TNA 2006-04-29

I worked on the new airport project for 6 months untill November last year.

The airport will be open for commercial business on the Kings birthday in December. This has been the official date for at least a year and all in the know have been sworn to secrecy.

We call it "Thai Time". There needs to be 3 months of baggage handling trials (commenced 1 month ago) then when these are concluded, the airport then undergoes 6 months of trials before international certification is granted.

The government is well aware of this and yet they tell their people outright lies time and time again.

Actually this "denial" system runs across all Thai construction. I bought a condo off the plan on Sukumvit Soi 13 last year. They told me I would be able to move in in 3 months...I am still waiting. The funny thing is, I was there only 2 weeks ago and asked the rep when they think construction will be complete. We was standing out the front of the construction site and being an engineer I knew that handover is at LEAST 5 months away....with hand on her heart and looking me straight in the eye she said.

"Khun Martin, this project will be 100% complete and ready to move in 3 weeks"

You got to love them :o

I think the new airport is going to be for the benefit of many. I hate to think it will affect one person. :D

It is the conflict in the individual mind that manifests as war. When individuals change, the society will automatically change.

— Amma

Do the acting Prime Minister and the Transport Minister have each other's phone number??? Why do they contradict each other so easily???

More confidence-building in the TRT government.... :o

*edit*.... sorry, upon re-reading the OP and George's other update... the DEPUTY Transport Minister.

Perhaps they could email each other before their public announcements to make sure they are going to say the same thing???

Edited by sriracha john

Just joking.

The airport will get there in the end and i'm sure there will be fast transport all the way out there to it and not too long travel time in the future.

I remember seeing pictures of the cracks in the airports runway so what is that politian guy talking about. maybe cracked or on crack or whatever. It was on tv(television) about them too. blatant lies are normal afterall tit.