KL has refused Ed Visa for 2 perfectly documented applications..

KL has refused Ed Visa (Thai Language) for 2 perfectly documented application..

Say new Policy.. Will only issue for University studies.

MFA questioned and said no new policy. KL finally issued the applicants with a Tourist Visa.

• Like 1

The MFA may have no specific new policy re ED visas at the KL embassy but they do have a policy to let individual embassies and consulates decide their own visa policies rather than have a centralised policy that applies transparently to all of them. But that would be too transparent for a Thai ministry I suppose.

KL has put restrictions on other types non immigrant visas. No B visas for one. No more multiple entry O visas for marriage. They seem to be doing it to discourage people from using them. Much better to use another embassy or consulate.

I would not even suggest it as location for a tourist visa even.

• Like 1

look, it should be clear by now that all thai authorities now that these "ED" vissa are being abused, get a legal visa as a tourist for 2 months + 30 dua extension, go the marriage way if you cannot fullfill the required paperwork they don't want you here. Same as in our countries you cannot live there as a 3 year TR visa and more, so nothing to blame Thailand about ! Even though I have lots of complaints about Thailand but this is not one of them.

Edited by likewise
  • Like 2

It happened to me too. I advise everyone to follow the advise of their language school. There they know, which embassy and consulate is still ok. KL is off my list for at least two years.

But at least I got a 2 month tourist visa. So for that KL is still ok.

At my school they said it might be connected with the visa stamps stolen from the KL embassy some time ago.

Hello, I just got my ED Visa for a Thai school in Samui.

First report was of one student went all the way down to Kota Bharu (before my trip) and was turned down because she did not have a copy of her Bank Statement.

On her second trip, she was fine, with BS in hand.

I made sure I had this as well. Seems not only the Ministry Of Education wants that statement, but also the Immigration Authorities, so be sure you have an extra copy. My school has take noticen of this "new" policy as well, though it has NOT been publicized.

Never had anything but trouble from this consulate.

Been needlessly hassled, turned down for more info when docs

were complete and exactly the same as used the previous 6 times.

And worst of all paid in full, given a 30 day visa, not the 1 year I paid for,

the price paid marked on the visa but the time frame wrong,

and then when I questioned the visa being wrong, quietly, calmly,

a security guard was called and I was physically removed.

When I got back home, with only 30 days to stay, I called the KL consulate,

and was verbally abused by some man, I think because his Thai girl friend

didn't get a Ed Visa or Tourist visa to USA. So the turd took it out on me.

I had to do another complete visa run a month later, with fresh papers,

to Kota Bharu, went through like clock work. But had to pay full price again.

I will NEVER go to the KL consulate for anything.

Edited by animatic

The rules are only going to get stricter and I applaud that so finally just maybe Thailand can get rid of the unwanted figures trying to hide out here or work here illegally.

I hope that soon to border runners will also be denied entry to the Kingdom. As I mentioned lots of things here are far from perfect but there is no country in the West that I know of that would allow such things as border runs and other fake long stay visas. Easy in our countries there are legal ways of staying long term, here they have them as well, use them !

Edited by likewise

look, it should be clear by now that all thai authorities now that these "ED" vissa are being abused, get a legal visa as a tourist for 2 months + 30 dua extension, go the marriage way if you cannot fullfill the required paperwork they don't want you here. Same as in our countries you cannot live there as a 3 year TR visa and more, so nothing to blame Thailand about ! Even though I have lots of complaints about Thailand but this is not one of them.

Getting married may be a bit extreme, to sort out your visa woes whistling.gif

• Like 1

The MFA may have no specific new policy re ED visas at the KL embassy but they do have a policy to let individual embassies and consulates decide their own visa policies rather than have a centralised policy that applies transparently to all of them. But that would be too transparent for a Thai ministry I suppose.

The right of the consulate to make independent decisions is a hangover from the days when communications took much longer and they required more autonomy. However, the spirit of the law isn't that they get to dictate policy, but that they have the authority to make case by case decisions. This has been abused in the form of blanket refusals. The local consul or ambassador min somewhere like say... Cambodia may decide that it is too much work to have all those tourist visa runner parading through his nice clean consulate so refuses to grant the visas to anyone.

It is a similar mindset to the police believing they have every right to test the urine of everyone who happens to be in a particular club, since one of them might be on drugs. The legal concept of "Just Cause" has been interpreted as "just cause we say so."

• Like 1