More than 100,000 foreigners staying illegally in Thailand

webfact

This reads as a simplistic, evasive smear campaign. There may or may not be 100,000 overstaying foreigners, but don't panic, none of these people are a burden to Thailand. As with all farang in the Land of Smiles 98% are of positive benefit to the Kingdom, 1% are neutral, and 1% a problem (a small problem, in the overall scheme of things). Most of these overstayers are here for nominal 'offences': divorce/alimony, bankruptcy, or associated problems 'back home'. I know, to the good middle class folk, sitting in front of their flat screens watching Fox 'news', these people are scary evil doers, but they are not. Relax. These people live in the villages and towns, support a wife and kids (not his own), and at least provide a little cash and English language knowledge. No harm, no foul, no panic. Relax. The oldest trick in the political book, attack outsiders, but the foreigners are not your problem.

An 'extra' 500 baht—this will solve all of Thailand's problems. I am sure it will solve some peoples' problems, but maybe not those of the rice farmers and taxi drivers of the Kingdom. This story is an artificial, crafted disinformation campaign, designed to divert attention from the real problems of Thailand, which are not really problems to those who benefit from them. How about tackling appalling education standards, corruption, unsafe infrastructure—feel free to add more.

Speaking of 500 baht, how about charging politicians and senior bureaucrats 500 baht each time their Depts screw up? That might in fact result in meaningful change.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What BS.

This is typical political speech lets throw out a number to justify a stealth tax on tourist.They have no practical idea of how it will work or who will be charged, Non Asean memeber nations will no doubt be waivered and they make up the largest group of illegals in the country.As for the justification of mediacl bills again BS when you pay insurance the premium covers uninsured travelers also.What the uninsured do is raise the price of premiums for those that buy insurance, hospitals can claim (once again this country being the country it is sometimes these claims are questioned)

They are correct in saying it is not a lot of money but that is not the point.People should be welcomed into your country when they are spending tourist dollars/pounds/euros and this is an issue of principal.The hoards arriving on holidays will feel yet another Thai spurious charge when they land.This before they have to run the gambit of taxis and peddlers before they reach their hotel.

Seems like a very high estimeate to me. However if true, the Immigration and BIB should

work together to "round up these criminals" If just an error or simple mistake, 500 B per

day fine for lets say 1 or 2 weeks. If intentional snub at Thai Laws, and "don't give a

dam" attitude....100,000B fine, lock up in jail until they secure ticket home, and money for

the fine.

The fine to be used to fund medical treatment uninusred in Thailand.

I have no problem in case the 500 Baht fee for tourist entering Thailand because I have a work permit but I am 100% against the idea of Mr Pradit Sintavanaron and everybody supporting him. But we hope that the tourism industry will oppose them because it means preventing tourist to come to Thailand. It will be a lost to them.

who had all agreed on the idea, want to use the 500 Baht fee scheme to help attract ‘quality’ tourists to Thailand

Good to see the health insurance justification - charade - has been tossed and the real motive is unveiled ---- biggrin.png

So blo**y what? How many Thais are staying in farang countries, taking our jobs in areas such as Accounting, Engineering etc and we are not allowed to complain because its legal. Thailand needs to wake up and be more open and welcome foreigners and you wouldnt have this problem otherwise stay a 3rd world developing country crawling on your hands and knees with all the money kept by an elite few.

" the Minister for Public Health Mr Pradit Sintavanarong said "Now is the time for us to have quality tourists. " The Minister for Public Health has his hands in everything but health. Thailand should be calling for more quality ministers before they worry about any other quality.

Is this off topic ?, I don't think so.

They don't see the benefits of having foreigners here in Thailand. Businesses get customers from foreigners. They cannot imagine, let's say MBK businesses if their customers are only Thai people.

500 baht - not much per person. Do children get a reduction? If not family of 4 = 2,000 baht, 40 GBP, 65 USD. Starts to get more noticeable, especially if collected as a cash payment at the airport on arrival. (No receipts of course - the stamp means you've paid wink.png )

I guess they hope people won't really be too resistant to this - not big bucks, especially if you're the high roller high spending people they want to attract. Multiply it by the number of people arriving and entering and hey presto "a nice little earner" for the regime.

If this happens, and they get away with it, without too many adverse comments or impact on arrivals numbers, then I'm sure they've got some more "ideas" in the pipeline.

Anyone surprised ? Just remember who their thinker is - the creative one when it comes to scamming money.

If you live here and rely on visa runs, maybe buying the new supa dupa elite card would be a better option? Maybe that includes the 500 baht entry fee too............ or then again, maybe not.

Archived