More than 100,000 foreigners staying illegally in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reality, Immigration should know exactly how many visa's of any kind have expired. You are entered into a database when you enter the country and even if Immigration doesn't immediately locate you, their computer will eventually flag you. The 500 baht seems like a different issue than overstays and the overstays are more than likely dominated by Thailand's neighbor countries.

Hmmm, let's see. The puppets are instituting a fee that's designed to attract "quality" tourists ? Didn't the puppet-master try the same thing back before he fled the country as a convicted criminal ? Seems he's downgraded "quality" tourist from those willing to pay millions of baht to those who can afford 500 baht !

Don't suppose the reason for this scam scheme is to generate money to shore up the failed Elite Card program, which is apparently still running (and losing money by the boat-loads no doubt) ?

Yeah, 500 baht isn't a lot of money to most "tourists". Think about 500 baht times 20 million tourist arrivals/year (or more). Now you're talking about 10 billion baht/year (or more). I imagine it didn't take long for certain people to be blinded by the dollar (baht symbol) signs dancing in front of their eyes ! Hmmm, someone should check to see if Mercedes and Lamborghini suddenly had a surge in pre-orders...........

It has been estimated that there are now more than 100,000 foreign nationals currently staying over...?

Why estimate if you're just 1 click away from they exact number?

Of course only if you synchronize all the data at borders and airports with the immigration hahaha while they prove they do not. This while they have all the tools to do so.

It just shows that most is for show here like it does many times. And yes an easy way to collect a new huge income for the few. You don't want to be without overstayers just as you not want to be without prostitution. But for the record that's not true.

I think its over 100.000 by the way if you include all the few day over stayers.

(Overstaying) gangsters are the only real problem

Just wonder where did they get those figures .. 100,000 foreigners illegal ... and how many illegals in European countries ? in the US ? this 500 baht will only be used to fill up some pockets of greedy politicians ... they call is government funding ! cheesy.gif

In the USA a large percentage are illegals but Nancy Pelosi calls them undocumented workers. ha ha. It would be in the millions in the USA as far as illegals but the USA does nothing really.

I presume the 500 baht will be payable on each and every entry to Thailand.

People who criss-cross the border regularly will be hard hit.

Sometimes I wonder if the thai govt would better tell us straight that they don't want us here.

All this loop jumping is getting ridiculouswhistling.gif

Non racist officials want us. They just see how far they can go, just like at home.

Tax, Bank holidays, Cypress style haircuts, the money system is always (not)working. How far do we let it go is the question while they plan huge other things outside Thailand.

I just read the article about the visa waiver for Thai citizens visiting Japan, and then briefly this article. Punish the overstayers, not those who obey the rules. A 500 baht payment on arrival will do little to prevent overstaying, its clearly just a revenue generating scheme. If there is a real issue with people overstaying then follow the line the Japanesse are taking. I overstayed by two days last year and was a little concerned, but the immigration officials words were "you can pay, you can overstay"

Firstly if you exclude ASEAN people I doubt very much there are 100000foreigners staying. More like 1000 to 10000 at the most.

Many of these would have become legal if the immigration people themselves had not made problems by not doing their job properly. Most immigration departments will not grant medical extensions even when documented so when a person recovers and is discharged from hospital he is still considered illegal and may have to pay 20000baht fine immediately and then leave the country to be made legal. Hardly the persons fault he ended in hospital. Some of these may decide it is more trouble to overstay (especially if their illness makes it hard to travel) and fix it later. SImilarly people with court cases should get a court visa however immigration rarely will give them. THis means that although you cannot leave because the court will not let you, you have overstayed and thus owe the fine etc as well as having to leave so it is easier to overstay.

Basicly there are people overstaying for no real reason but I would believe them more if their figures were not rubbery and they did not cause the overstays by refusing to do their job.

Similarly few countries cancel work visas on the day you finish and require you to leave the country on the same day or go to immigration on the same day or you are an overstayer. Most other countries allow much longer periods.

So many negative posts. If those of you who incessantly whine about the LOS, then why don't you pack up and leave??? Oh that's right; at the end of the day, the LOS, despite all its' warts, is still a damn sight better than whatever dreary hellhole you came from...

The reason why they don't put more sever consquences to overstayers is obviously because they need them.

They are actually being a little bit smart in their stupidness.

If they applied what some people here suggested (let's say you're getting blacklisted after 90 days of overstay) then yes, you will get rid of maybe what, let's say 90% of the illegal 'bad troublemakers evil overstayers' but then let's pretend that 20-40% of them can't afford a visa and have to go back home (which would represent around 18,200 visitors) then let's pretend that each of these visitors spend between 100 - 400 baths every day, you realize that would a 1.8 THB up to 7.2 THB net lose for Thailand a day only? That would average a 1b THB per month.

I know these numbers are far from accurate (as i'm pretty sure anyway there are more overstayers) but you get my point...

Thailand don't really want to lose these 'evil criminals' because they actually need them.

They're just looking for a reason here to put more money in their pockets so they're putting the blame on people who don't pay their hospitals bills & big criminals evil overstayers and hope that people will bite it and start blaming each others.

If you really think they are suggesting the 500 THB charge because of overstayers now, you're plainly stupid and probably need to get laid.

And i personally don't blame an overstayer that choose to overstay in Thailand. If he balanced the risk between getting caught (pretty slim) and saving money & hassle (knowing that anyway if he do get caught, more often than not he can talk is way out by giving money to the police), then that's his problem.

The law are made that he can actually do that without risking having some serious problems so i mean, if you can save some money and the stress of always going out of the country every month/3 months, why not?

Even in our country, we're getting xxxxxx daily by people who're trying to take some of our hard earned money from us using dumb excuses to put it in their pocket.

And to all those saying 'Overstayers are a problem to us, honest citizen who are doing everything right and living in the legality'

Ask yourself this:

Do you really think Thailand officials & Governments care about you being an honest citizen here?

If they did care, there wouldn't be overstayers here or at least, they would put more severs consquences so they could put an end to this.

All they want is your money. Honest or no, they still gonna try to scam you.

We live in a cold world fellas, and sometimes when you look around you, you realize that it's sometime good to be selfish.

I have encountered more than one farang sap who overstayed their visa and they paid dearly in some cases. If you don't want to play by the rules; go home; you won't be missed. And, I recognize that the Thai authorities could do a better job at rounding up the deadbeats...starting with the drug pushers from a certain continent I shall not name, that hang out around Sukhumvit Soi 3. Using a large-type steam shovel would be one good way to start removing this scum.

If they want rid of farang overstayers, declare an amnesty for 90 days, then after that make the daily fine unlimited. There's people here that are happy to pay the 20,000 baht on exit and overstay by years. They judge the risk of being caught against the aggro of getting visas. If the fine was unlimited, they'd leave. The sane one's would anyway.

So instead of a policy to deal with this problem, they'll punish all the honest people with a 500 baht charge.

Absurd

I have to say, this makes perfect sense.

Why can't Farang follow the law in Thailand.

I am sure Farang will be very happy and accommodating if Thais overstay in your country.

When in Rome...... that's why.

In "our" country, we are not called Farang and there are no overstay issues. We've dispensed with the visa red tape rubbish and simply accommodate those who float, swim, crawl or walk over in the middle of the night without a visa. It's called "The Pathway to Citizenship". Everybody knows that.

So they have only just realised that promoting Thailand to the lowlife of the world, purely to boost tourist numbers, has it,s downside? One oilrig worker was worth fifty of these rude and arrogant bums who are choking up the roads and living out of the 7/11s. A higher class of tourist they definitely need, but sticking a 500 Bht entry fee on does not seem the best way to do it. To what end ? Feed the politicians ? Philippines is looking more and more attractive smile.png

quality tourist is a tourist who comes here for a few weeks, does not bargain, spends good money and returns home with good memories and empty pockets. the keenok/keeneeow-type like myself (and 99% on TV) brings in jack shit for thailand. no matter that i'm completely legal, i don't think i'm a quality "tourist" since i just live here. nothing more nothing less.

I actually heard it was 100 million, not just 100,000. My source is the same as the PTP's - none!

LOL? Wait a minute, your source was speaking to you?

They are not even with 100 million Thai in Thailand. It could be 70 million Thai by now.

I also think it's more then 100.000,,,, but 1 an a half times its population is a bit weird. I would be gone already. Picture all the nut bags with it.

Honestly, Thailand is a joke for me now and feel sorry for those living there to have to put up with such c**p straight in the face. It's a beuatiful place but unfortunately ruled by a bunch of short-sighted and complete idiots exploiting not only their own people but foreigners and treating them like dumbs.

I wish all people around the world could see the truth about Thailand. So called "The land of smiles" which can easily turn into very aggresive beast in particular on the east side of the country where conflicts occur prettty much on a daily basis & they keep quiet about it. I avoid Thailand these days as much as possible to teach those greedy and cheeky bastards a lesson and stop sponsoring this bullh*t*ng of others.

500 baht per tourist, Posted Image

Lets see all the greedy little piggy's sniffing out their share, so much for stopping corruption.

If the police and immigration did their job maybe the number of illegal overstays would be lower

Yeah but you didn't get the point: it's the farang's fault.

Originally, the 500 baht tourist fee proposal was indeed supposed to be to fund the medical expenses that government hospitals incur in treating uninsured farangs, and/or part of a govt. plan to mandate local health coverage for incoming tourists...

But now, that seems to have changed, with all kinds of other arms of the Thai govt. -- including Immigration -- looking to get their hands into the till.

In this latest news report, there doesn't seem to be anything about medical coverage for tourists or much extra funding for Thai government hospital expenses.

If they want rid of farang overstayers, declare an amnesty for 90 days, then after that make the daily fine unlimited. There's people here that are happy to pay the 20,000 baht on exit and overstay by years. They judge the risk of being caught against the aggro of getting visas. If the fine was unlimited, they'd leave. The sane one's would anyway.

So instead of a policy to deal with this problem, they'll punish all the honest people with a 500 baht charge.

Absurd

It is a sham, just like how they said before to levy money to pay for foreigners that stay in hospitals and don't pay their bill. So then the good guys ware paying for healthcare without entitlement to it. They are just looking for an excuse to rip the tourist even more off as already. Mind you there is already a departing tax in tickets before you had to pay that separate. So this is just an addition.

Archived