King Cobra problem at ******** - Bangna (Dont Rent of you have small children or dogs)

Hi

I am writing this new topic in this forum to advise all families who are keen on renting or buying a moo-baan in Bang-na area especially the ******** compound housing estate.

We were introduced to this moo-baan by one of the housing agents and we decided to proceed with the rental for a 1 year period. We needed an independent house with a small garden area since we have 3 small children aged 10, 7 & 5 and also 2 jack russels. ******** as an option seemed great and seemed to have all the facilities needed.

We were told that this is a safe place for families and also saw numerous Thai familie with little kids who owned houses in this compound.

After about 30 to 45 days we had our first sighting of a King Cobra crossing through our garden and then dissapering away. We didnt make an issue of the same since the compund we live in has a lot of greenery around and it is possible to cross paths with nature once in a while.

Exactly 2 weeks after that we had another sighting but this time teh snake was smaller in size, but it definetly was a King cobra. We decided to ask around with the neighbours and to our shock we were told that this compund was infested with King cobra's and the sighting was a every day problem. There were cases where dogs were bitten and some had even died. Tha Thai's who own a property in this compund dont seem to have a problem with the sankes but I later learned that most of the peopel living in this compund have either already sold their property to someeone else or are in the process of finding a new buyer. The rest of them who have bank loans adjust and continue staying there.

I spoke with the housing agent and my house owner about this problem and was furious that not one of them had mentioned about the snake problem when I had clearly mentioned my need to have a small garden area where my children can play. The only response I received from them was to pack up and leave if I didnt like the place but I could kiss my advance money good-bye.

That's exactly what we did, we left our newly rented home less that 3 months from when we moved in since we have small children and dogs who are part of the family and we cant measure our family with the risk of being bitten by a King Cobra.

I have checked with numerous other compund houses situated close by and most of them have similar problems, this area is snake prone habitat where housing bodies built houses on small open lakes, This again resukts in sinking of the house. You can clearly see gaps beteen the ground and the built house.

My advise to all families stay away from *********, they have mulitudes of cobra snakes and 100's of cobra babies, we even spoke to the office in teh compund they asked us to call the security gaurd if we ever saw a snake,

This is amazing Thailand where people try to sell you something based in lies, they dont even care if you have little children who could get hurt just for few bucks. I am angry and hate the attitude of the housing agent and the house owner who tried to put the lives of my family at risk. I hope they learn their lesson soon.

Hence a compund house with small garden area was a great bet for us.We spoek to the housing agent, the owner of the property and where quite impressed at the begining of this deal.

It's pathetic how these agencies make money. They obviously knew about the problem but "forgot" to mention it. Then when the client finds it out, they just let him know that he can leave anytime. No wonder why there are strict laws regarding to defamation and such. There are so many business establishments here that do business in crooked ways that it makes people vomit.

Whilst all sympathies go out to the OP it is highly unlikely that a Housing Agent or Owner will give any (negative) reason that will lead to the property not being sold or rented. They certainly would not be concerned about your children's safety, they've banked the dosh so it's not their problem.

Hopefully you are all safe and happy in your new place. Put it all behind you now.

• Like 1

Snakes in Thailand? No way. That's the first I've heard of it. cheesy.gif

GFs family regularly have snakes, even in the house sometimes.Never heard them complain though. They just move the snakes and get on with life. And all the kids grew up in that house.

Edited by davejones

You didn't say when this happened but snakes are fairly common here and they do tend to move around a bit more during the rain season, getting after frogs, lizards, mice and rats. I'm more rural, and have had at least 3 snakes in the past couple months of rain season - no cobras yet - but an old lady the next soi over just got bitten by one at her house. Mate of mine had a clutch of baby cobras in a small ground drain pipe at his place in Pattaya.

Not sure how long you've been here but maybe being from Canada, you are not used to the presence of snakes in SE Asia? Long as you have a garden with a mini food chain present, the chance of you having a snake is ever present.

An unimportant distinction but I wonder if you are indeed seeing "king" cobras, as opposed to another strain.

I appreciate your predicament but as other posters have alluded you have probably been slightly naive about the realities of living in Thailand. It is not always the idyllic magazine lifestyle you may have imagined - the are dangers. Snakes are a regular occurrence here so that is probably why your agent did not draw any attention to it. You have been unfortunate to perhaps find a 'hotspot' where there is a large concentration, and of venomous snakes - they are not all dangerous. I have Thai friends who live in Bangkok and elsewhere who have houses who all regularly experience snakes. It's just something you can't escape if you have a house with a garden. If you live in a 'moo baan' the security guys normally deal with it.

If you want total piece of mind i would suggest you move to a large condo suitable for your family and something perhaps closer to the city where there will be less likelihood of you encountering snakes as it's less green. My gf informed me that Suvarnabhumi airport which is in the Bangna area was a swamp area before and infested with snakes. This may be why there is an abundance of snakes in other areas of Bangna.

Even if you changed to a condo, don't forget, if you moved to the right one there are many that are 'resort style' like mine, where there are decent amounts of outdoor space and kids play areas etc and are popular with families for that reason.

• Like 1

There are snakes everywhere in Thailand.

OK but it's not "infested" everywhere by King Cobra...whistling.gif

I know there are cobras in Samui since i've seen one on the road one time, never seen one in the garden... during the night... maybe?

Standard case of buyers remorse - everything is a scam. Relax and have a beer. If this is a newer development the snakes will die, get killed or move. You are the infestation they have to deal with in thier backyard.

Note from local snake interview: Can't even cross a yard anymore and some jonny come lately out of towner is on your case about it - once was a time a snake could go out for a meal without have to be hassled by cats, dogs and those dump ass two leggers. They jump and screem and start making acusations that we are making trouble. dam_n area has gone to the planet killers, I am moving and none to soon - I mean gees I have kids..

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Too much biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Hi wolfmancanada2015

I haven't paid attention, it's only your third post, so welcome to ThaiVisa, you did not have much support it seems to you? partytime2.gif

Easy to understand, 50% of TV members are old snakes so many have logically more empathy with King Cobras than for a newbie ! Fortunately the online venom is innocuous.

I am in Samui and was looking for a slightly bigger house for last september, I found one for rent with my criterias on Bahtsold for a fairly good price, I talked to the owner, we agreed for a visit, then I said to my wife, would you like to see the place before? Yes! So we went, the first minute I saw something was wrong...She hardly answered my questions, I really did not understand. Once back home she told me I do not want snakes in the house explaining with the kind of jungle all around we'll have snakes at least when raining she told me, plus the house is on the ground level not on pillars, so impossible to convince her and I told the owner I will not visit the house because my wife is scared by snakes! So now we found a house in another place, on pillars this time, and guess? You will not believe me, the very first day we found a little snake very very thin black with yellow circles, it's innocuous, but not in the garden in the living room.

Have a good day.tongue.png

• Like 1

It's useful to post pictures with such stories.

Absolutely uptheos, I haven't done it first because I had only done one, for the beast was very swift and unfortunately the picture is not very good! Nevertheless your wish is my commandwai.gif

post-154100-0-50815200-1382762026_thumb.

I have a friend who did have a house and a dog in Phuket.

I said, he did have a house. He did sell it because of the snake.

Also he did have a dog. Now dead, bitten by a snake...

Look at the bright side, luckily he doesnt have any children!

Edited by Bender

You didn't say when this happened but snakes are fairly common here and they do tend to move around a bit more during the rain season, getting after frogs, lizards, mice and rats. I'm more rural, and have had at least 3 snakes in the past couple months of rain season - no cobras yet - but an old lady the next soi over just got bitten by one at her house. Mate of mine had a clutch of baby cobras in a small ground drain pipe at his place in Pattaya.

Not sure how long you've been here but maybe being from Canada, you are not used to the presence of snakes in SE Asia? Long as you have a garden with a mini food chain present, the chance of you having a snake is ever present.

An unimportant distinction but I wonder if you are indeed seeing "king" cobras, as opposed to another strain.

Thanks for your comments Jay, I also agree with most of the comments by other members in this forum :):)

However, I just feel let down - since I didnt want to come home one day and find the worst scenario with snakes and my family or even my dogs for the matter.

We were pretty new to the area hence we expected best out of people, especially when the owner and the agent has seen our little kids with us. It seems kind of unfair not telling someone of a common snake problem, if I was informed earlier during our home visits I wont waste anybody's time, I just wont take the house and would go for an apartment somewhere.

I dont expect a refund on rent nor any apologies from the owner or the housing agent - I fear the worst if people are not informed of what harm lies ahead, parents with little children need to be told if there are snakes or any other dangerous reptiles in the vincity of their home, it doesnt matter if others are comfortable with these creatures - it is our kids that could be hurt and no child is replaceable for any parent.

Everyone needs to know, everyone needs to be told, everyone needs to have a right to choose - to me this is being honest, nothing more. I feel bad about my experience, I feel even sad that they put my children in danger for a few bucks. I feel sad and hurt, nothing more to write.....

Estimated yearly fatalities in Thailand from Snake Bites: 10-30

Estimated (under) yearly fatalities on Thailand road: 13,000-18,000

When you get into a Taxi, do you also expect the driver to remind you about road fatalities here?

Your fear and your evaluation of the risk posed by snake is "IRRATIONAL".

Your kitchen is probably more dangerous to your kids than the snakes outside.

Snakes will actually do whatever they can to avoid you. Try one day, to take a picture of a snake. It's hard.

Instead learn about them: http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

post-308-0-95318000-1383001164_thumb.jpg

Around the house (Bangna), I have seen two/three times what looked like a kind cobra, but was not fast enought to take any picture.

Oh, and don't take taxi, they don't have child seat.

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote

"When you get into a taxi, do you also expect the driver to remind you about road fatalities here?"

Actually, that would be a hell of a good idea!

Yeah, he would finish the sentence by saying that they not have good amulet, like him.