mosquitoes and tall buildings: fact or myth?

infinity11

How high do mosquitoes fly?
In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 ft. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes have been found breeding in treeholes over 40 feet above ground. In Singapore, they have been found in apartments 21 stories above ground. Mosquitoes have been found breeding up to 8,000 feet in the Himalayas and 2000 feet underground in mines in India.

http://www.mosquito.org/faq

I get them everyday in my condo in Pratumnak 15th floor, not many, but always one or two

• Like 1

In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 ft. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes have been found breeding in treeholes over 40 feet above ground. In Singapore, they have been found in apartments 21 stories above ground. Mosquitoes have been found breeding up to 8,000 feet in the Himalayas and 2000 feet underground in mines in India.

I get them everyday in my condo in Pratumnak 15th floor, not many, but always one or two

Some will make it up in the lift .I used to have a rubber sealed security door in my 6 th floor Condo so their only oppertunity to get in would be when i opened the door to get in or out .

I had a condo in Cebu Philippines on the 19th floor and always kept the balcony doors open. Never a mosquito! I am now renting a condo in Jomtien the 5th floor. We must close our windows by 5pm or deal with swarms of the little bastards. I think the higher you go, the farther you get from them.

Mosquitoes bit me when I was in Korea, high rise building and - 5 Celsius degrees outside. I don't think anything can stop them.

I also read that they will be more attracted to people who have smelly feet, sweating problems and beers drinkers...shock1.gif

Mosquitoes bit me when I was in Korea, high rise building and - 5 Celsius degrees outside. I don't think anything can stop them.
I also read that they will be more attracted to people who have smelly feet, sweating problems and beers drinkers...shock1.gif

at -5 degree no Mosquito can live anymore.

In Austria (cold weather) they can't lift off anymore below +15 degree. Maybe some other can brake the 10 degree limit but not much below.

But at 8000 feet thats not the height they were off the ground

• Like 1

11th floor here and our balcony sliding glass door to the kitchen is open 90% of the time. Just outside the condo is a drainage ditch/canal that is standing water, ie no flow. And maybe once or twice a month I see a mosquito.....

I have lived in buildings on the 15th and 19th floors. These heights presented no problems for mosquitoes, which regularly entered any open windows.

Mosquitoes are very light! They do not have to expend effort to be carried by wind and by air currents to very high altitudes, and this happens all the time.

• Like 1

If you see them on a higher floor, they probably breeding on a neighbors balcony in the plants or standing water.

Now, I live in the jungle, in a house up on poles. Lots and lots of mosquitos near the ground floor but just 3 meters up, very few.

• Like 1

In some of the simi- desert areas in the US. I have seen so many mos near the ground it looked like fog about 3 meters thick. I think many of the factors mentioned; air currents, openings at lower areas, stairwells and lifts account for the ones that get to the higher levels.