Drunken Russian goes on temple smashing rampage in Phuket, tries to hot-wire truck

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall that a Thai was beat to death for smashing a figure at the Erawan Shrine, Bangkok.

I hear ya, mate. But the Russian smashed an abbot figure, the guy at Erawan smashed The Figure, the main part of the shrine. I'm not sure these are equal in stature. BTW, not condoning the Thai guy getting beaten to death. Just suggesting smashing an abbot figure isn't the same as basically destroying the whole shrine.

The Thai guy was surrounded by witnesses - and as a group, they all had to show their "outrage" in front of each other... so they beat the guy to death as policemen looked on - probably making wagers on the outcome. This was some drunk Russian at night, no witnesses but CCTV... If he had smashed a lesser stature in front of a bunch of "worshipers" praying for accurate lottery numbers for a change, there is a solid chance he'd have taken a beating.

• Like 1

I get really tired of hearing people using the excuse of being drunk for acting like total <deleted>. As if it was not their fault and they weren't responsible for their actions. One CHOOSES to drink alcohol. It's not like the stuff jumps out of the bottle and into their unsuspecting mouths.

I don't know that this guy is trying to say he isn't responsible because he was drunk, but more that it is behaviour he wouldn't engage in unless he was drunk...

I agree, it is not an excuse though... if you regularly act like a bell-end when you are hammered, it's time to re-examine your drinking

• Like 1

1) Russians (also ukrainians and belarusians ) is about 142 mil, more than any single EU country.

2) Egypt is on fire and middle west in general, so only option for many people is about travel to Asia.

Some russians are really bad and annoying, probably daddy of that guy is government fag or something like that, so he think that he can do same shit anywhere. Guess he will go to jail, but would be funny if not, because in russia Pussy Riots got 2 years of prison for just dancing in church.

But also i heard stories and even saw by myself how "culture" can be EU/US tourists. The number of tourists from any single EU country is much more less than Russians, and it's going quite simple: more people - more problems. Don't blame everyone for one stupid idiot.

Edited by istinspring
  • Like 2

I've read all the posts on this thread. Nobody has suggested that Americans or Canadians get drunk and make a nuisance of themselves. I wonder why that is.

You're right.... let me sort that out: Americans make a nuisance of themselves all the time, the lousy buggers.

- a Canadian

tongue.png

I am sure there is a Russian forum somewhere complaining about the British, German, Scandinavian, Indian, Omani tourists behaving like lager louts.....

Believe me there is none. But we have a number of comedy movies and sketches potraing the behavoiur of compatriots abroad. :)

The tuk-tuks are that expensive on Phuket that the tourists are now stealing cars? smile.pngsmile.png

I wonder what ticked this guy off?

Yeah the costs of tuk-tuks are so expensive on Phuket he went all the way to Pattaya to try to steal a car

Where did Pattaya come into the story ?

Pattaya came into the story with Alwyn's post. :)

The new 500 baht entry fee will put a stop to this type of tourist.

If you think that you are as d****b as the ministry's trying to bring it in. It will end up going on the price of a ticket. It will not make any difference what so ever.

I am sure there is a Russian forum somewhere complaining about the British, German, Scandinavian, Indian, Omani tourists behaving like lager louts.....

Believe me there is none. But we have a number of comedy movies and sketches potraing the behavoiur of compatriots abroad. smile.png

Believe me there is Russian IT forums where intelligent IT-engineers complaining about British, German, Scandinavian, Indian, Omani, Russians tourists.

Edited by istinspring

Or they should combine the entry-fee with an IQ-test!!coffee1.gif

Those idiots have the money, but clearly not the brains!

What a disgrace!!w00t.gif

Would this IQ test be for everyone?

How would Yingluck get back in the country after a shopping trip?

Hmmm, maybe they could send all Thai politicians on overseas trips and we would be rid of them all. It would also prevent foreign politicians coming here too. Hilary Clinton spent her daytime here in Phuket sitting on a rock in the sun to get her body temperature up.

Problem is they would all pass the test -- by the same method they got their degrees.

yet another example of russian class''no class''...as pres Regan said way back in the day....they are'' the evil empire''...well look at thier rollmodel vlad putin...hahahahahahhahah....the shirtless idiot....and yes i know they lived under the curtain until 1998 and freedom was limited,but its no excuse to act as they do.

If you think that you are as d****b as the ministry's trying to bring it in. It will end up going on the price of a ticket. It will not make any difference what so ever.
Whoosh Edited by Songhua
  • Like 1

I doubt the Ruskie realized how offensive his actions were. I recall that a Thai was beat to death for smashing a figure at the Erawan Shrine, Bangkok.

There are some lines that you just don't cross here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erawan_Shrine

Don't compare Erwan shrine with a statue of just another monk. However you are right it is always very offensive to rampage a religious building, temple, church of mosque. Drunkenness is something used very very often in Thailand and indeed in Russia as a lame excuse, as if a pissed individual would have lost all brain capacity. I don't buy it.

The Thais themselves smashed religious items in the south of Thailand and as far as I know haven't been caught. Indeed they're not only smashing up abbot statutes and wot not they're also killing people. The Chinese government also smashed up thousands upon thousands of Buddhist related relics and statues and they're supposed to be Thailand's friends with this subject having never been mentioned between the two. Btw, the Erawan shrine is a completely different kettle of fish.

Oh boy!!! Why couldn't he have picked a fight with a real person? Perhaps another Russian quality tourist?

No no, a quality Brit, or a quality Aussie. I think iut would be a more interesting match up.

Laaaadies and gentleman! In the red eye corner with 2 bottles of vodka we have Oleg the statue smasher!!! In the blue ball corner at 20 cheap bears we have John the young boy bugler!

Ding ding ding

Everyone makes mistakes. Its obvious he wouldnt go smashing up a temple if he was sober

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I tend to agree. It was the vodka talking …repair the damage, do community service and spend 30 days in the monastery as a monk.