Penang

Has anyone recently had any trouble obtaining Mutiple entry Non imm o visas?Last year was simple.Any changes?

A couple of people have reported that they are only handing out singles 'to people getting their first O visa in Penang'.

May be prudent to buzz down to KL, no problems there (as of start March when I was there).

Has anyone recently had any trouble obtaining Mutiple entry Non imm o visas?Last year was simple.Any changes?

As from now they are only :D handing out singles 'to people getting their first O visa in Penang'.

I have been told so and another 6 people I talked to. All has refusals for multiple entries 1 year because they used Penang the first time. The consular officer said : This office does not issue any multiples the first time you turn up here, this is the new rule of this office. :o . I met one lucky man, he obtained a multiple Non O 1 year, because he used Penang for the second time.

On 2 May I applied for a Type O visa (retirement purpose) at the Penang consulate. This was my first application for such a visa, and I was turned down. I then applied for a triple entry tourist visa and was granted this.

I am 64 years old, an American citizen, with a pension of 1 million baht per year, which I declared and notarized at the US embassy in Bangkok. I have a Bangkok Bank savings account with 120,000 baht in it. In Penang I used the services of Manaff (Man), who has been recommended by people on this board. When I first called Man he said there would be no problem obtaining the O visa which I wanted: 3-month, single entry, Type O. In fact, he said that in the previous week he had handled a case similar to mine and the O visa was granted. When I was turned down, Man was very surprised and attributed it to a new consul who was "cracking down", and telling people that they should apply for this type of visa, in the first instance, in their home countries. I understand that the consulate is granting O visas to those who have had them in the past--they are just turning down first-timers.

I suspect because they feel you should/would have obtained it in your home country; unless there was a problem with the police check.

You should be able to convert that real tourist visa to a non immigrant at the cost of 2,000 baht at immigration and then extend for retirement so all is not lost.

Lopburi3's point about my being able to convert my real tourist visa (obtained in Penang) to a non-immigrant O is exactly right.

This morning I applied for the Type O (retirement purpose) at Pattaya Immigration (Soi 5, Jomtiem). Using the same type of documents that I submitted in Penang (pension statement, bank book, bank letter, passport with tourist visa) plus 2000 baht I was granted the O visa. Then, immediately afterwards with the help of the immigration officer, I submitted copies of the same documents, together with the standard medical certificate and 1800 baht, and was granted the "extension" to the O visa, which is the retirement visa itself.

After explaining the 90-day reporting requirements to me the immigration officer asked me if I'd like to apply for either a single or multiple re-entry visa. I chose the multiple re-entry at a cost of 3800 baht and this was stamped in my passport together with the retirement visa. Altogether the whole process, including waiting time, took about five hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a real double entry 60-day Tourist Visa from the Thai Consulate in Zurich. I want to convert to Non-O (retirement) and would like to avoid travelling to Penang. Do I need to show 800k THB bank balance if I go to Immigration at Suan Phlu? And I assume I'll need all kinds of other documentation, right?

56yo American living here over a year. I was under the impression that I could get non-o on my holiday in Switzerland last month, but Thai Consulate in Zurich informed me that they could do that only if I were a Swiss resident. Oooops. Hence, the Tourist 60.

You need the 800k/bank letter/medical certificate and 4x6cm photos. You apply for change of visa at 2,000 baht and then extend your stay for 1,900 baht.

Normal copies of everything are also required.