The Good The Bad & The Ugly - What makes a photograph?

Goshawk

^

Quote ....Fimgirl

"It would be a shame to see it disappear out of sight under the current tsunami of yesterday's snapshots".

Thank you that's an extremely insulting remark...coffee1.gif there are many of use who don't agree...

Quite your I am better than though remarks.... sad.png You don't even show your snapshots.... get a life and don't be so continually insulting sad.png ....blink.png

I am unaware of your imagery but hats off for identifying your role on the forum.

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@ Goshawk & reeray...

I agree that this thread should be pinned...it's the best thread save for a

few photos on the other threads in the Photog section.

Dali would most likely have taken the banana and kept it green with some red

splotches on it, unpeeled and melting either in a bowl or plate. Warhol may

depict the banana in electric yellow on a purple plate & old Pablo P would

most likely have painted a banana unlike any banana we have ever seen!

Just my view based on their works I have had the pleasure to see a bit of.

Yes...all approximately 7 billion of us know what a banana looks like however,

it is the few creative types in this 7 billion that are ready to play around with

the humble banana regardless of what/how society labels bananas must

look like. Altered states?...Sure...why not. If sonebody can take a bunch

of old AK-47's and make a usable dining table & 8 chairs outta them and

call it art then why not a flourescent, melted, fat round banana composition!

Fimgirl...I'm kinda the same way you are when I head out to do some

photography...feeling blue I shoot kinda blue stuff, dark & mysterious

is heavy on the shadows & about a stop & a half underexposed. Happy

moods I shoot a lotta warm bright colours. With a hangover everything

has a soft focus to it...ref to my line "What the Hell was I thinking..."

For me a fine example of perception came at a Khmer refugee camp

back in 84..the S3 camp if memory holds valid today. Nancy Reagan

was touring these wretched places and while at S3 the press corps

was corraled at one spot by the "authorities". My idea was to break

away from that corral and get Mrs. Reagan a bit further up the path

where there was a massive amount of kids playing in the mud oblivious

to her presence. Mrs. Reagan got to around 50 meters from me & the

kids, was about to turn back and a fellow photog with me yelled out

something akin to "Have a look here Mizz Reagan"...she walked up

& we got our shots...she was mobbed by the kids. We were the only

two photogs that managed to get some decent shots of her.

That was mainly luck although the perception of Mrs. Reagan in front

of the press gang bang & officials, mobbed by the kids told a different

and we like to think a better story. Mind you nothing much ever came

about positively concerning the people in those camps.

When mentioning the 7 billion perceptions I just wanted to toss out that

possibility we humans all see the same basic stuff but very few can or

want to interpret what is seen by all into something "special" to us.

In Cambodia during the late 80's & early 90's I used to focus mainly on what

one finds within a deprived society...not just the bog standard depravity.

There was a lotta joy and amazement out there...if one just cared to go

go have a look with a camera or two..instead of the usual crap of death

& destitution.

On a humorous note...one of the worst party scenarios I can think of is to

get a bunch of accomplished photogs together and...well...need I hack

more dribble? Mix some alcohol....some illicit substances....hah! If

somebody really wants to know a few outcomes...PM me and send a 6

pack down the wires.

NB...edit to insert "people in those".

g

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

I think there is room enough for everyone in photography.
It is all very subjective of course but I have noticed vast improvement as individuals are exposed to more photographs in as kinder, gentler environment. Encouragement and self evaluation, sometimes work better than criticism and putdowns.
I don’t see the goal as perfection, more that we incrementally improve by taking more pictures and sharing them with others, who encourage us to do more.

thumbsup.gif .....+1000 VF.

• Like 2

OK i'll continue

Why is it that people are so proud of reveling in their own banality,- accept all the crap,- don't rock the boat? Thank god some people seek for quality otherwise there would be no civilization, let alone the "Photography and the Arts " forum

• Like 2

Looks like a banana to me

awbanana_zps0903661c.jpg

Just in case anybody in the entire planet does not know this was the cover for The Velvet Underground ---RIP Lou Reed 1942 - 2013.

Sorry for interrupting, carry on -

Heard of his demise this morning on BBCWS..71...of complications from a liver transplant.

I liked his music a lot...even though I'm originally from San Francisco. RIP Lou...RIP.

My interest mirrors that of Goshawk and I am sure he knows better than I that to get a good photo of birds or other natural subjects requires a fair bit of luck.

oh yes Robby....nail on the head right there.... Luck!

lucky shots vs choreographed.

I imagine there's certainly more 'great photographs' obtained purely by chance rather than the opposite. This is definitely the case in wildlife & bird photography, my main field of interest.

Spontanaity can be faked (even wild bird shots) of course, but it can usually be detected. With birds and some other animals you can control them to a certain degree.... playing audio lures, feeding them etc.. and i'm sure angiud would agree too (with his excellent insect work, especially butterflies) that Luck plays a major role in this field. I could spend a whole day walking through a forest and capture nothing, i could spend an hour walking down a city street and capture a dozen contenders/keepers. You just never really know where the next one is coming from.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone needs to start a snob thread, sort of an invitation only thing. That way they won’t have to rub shoulders with lesser beings.wink.png

Exactly what i was talking about - so proud of your supercilious blandness, reducing it to "them and us" instead of looking at ways to make people achieve rather than just fester.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone needs to start a snob thread, sort of an invitation only thing. That way they won’t have to rub shoulders with lesser beings.wink.png

Exactly what i was talking about - so proud of your supercilious blandness, reducing it to "them and us" instead of looking at ways to make people achieve rather than just fester.

I don’t agree that people here are "festering" and I certainly don’t agree that you can "make" people achieve. Everyone here is making an effort and moving at their own pace. I don’t consider it my place to discourage them by telling them they aren’t good enough.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

I don’t agree that people here are "festering" and I certainly don’t agree that you can "make" people achieve. Everyone here is making an effort and moving at their own pace. I don’t consider it my place to discourage them by telling them they aren’t good enough.

When did anybody say anything about not being good enough ? Making people achieve and making an effort can amount to the same thing but of late the forum which previously has managed to be an interchange of photographic information between members with various degrees of skill and knowledge has become a twitter or instagram feed of a few folks trivia

This is the meal i ate : this is the turd from the meal i ate : this is the meal i ate after the turd :will post the new turd picture tomorrow.

There is never any interest or time because of the amount of pictures posted to debate the best way to light a turd - flash or reflected daylight or ?

It is this aspect of the forum that seems to be lost in the race to post more pictures than the other guy.It is not about anybody being better it is about everybody being better.

• Like 1

Does the image communicate information greater than the two-dimensional? By this I mean, does the photo tell a deeper story?

precisely! at what point does a photograph cease to be a simple snapshot image, before becoming a vibrant living entity?

Have a look at the link below:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/321487-evaluate-me-photo/

Win coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Does the image communicate information greater than the two-dimensional? By this I mean, does the photo tell a deeper story?

precisely! at what point does a photograph cease to be a simple snapshot image, before becoming a vibrant living entity?

Have a look at the link below:-

My question was rhetorical, but thanks for the link...another good example of PP and what it can do to alter or bring out detail in an image.

Some tidbits from a couple of good books. 1st book.

Within the Frame
The Journey of Photographic Vision

by David duChemin

Vision is the beginning and end of photography. It’s the thing that moves you to pick up the camera, and it determines what you look at and what you see when you do. It determines how you shoot and why. Without vision, the photographer perishes.

Vision is everything, and the photographic journey is about discovering your vision, allowing it to evolve, change, and find expression through your camera and the print. It is not something you find and come to terms with once and for all; it is something that changes and grows with you. The things that impassion you, that anger you, that stir you—they are part of your unique vision. It is about what you—unique among billions—find beautiful, ugly, right, wrong, or harmonious in this world. And as you experience life, your vision changes. The stories you want to tell, the things that resonate with you—they change and so does your vision. Finding and expressing your vision is a journey, not a destination.

You can spend a lifetime chasing your vision, learning not only to see with more clarity, but to express that vision in stronger and stronger ways. It’s important to remember this because it fights against the discouragement that all artists inevitably face. The feeling that we’re seeing nothing new, have nothing to say, or have created our last good photograph. When that happens it’s helpful to remember that the journey isn’t over yet. As long as we’re alive and interacting with life, the world, and the people around us, we’ll have something to say. And as we learn and practice our craft, we’ll have stronger ways—better ways, even—of expressing it.

Vision can be elusive. We may not always have an immediate conscious reaction to the world around us, may not understand our feelings about the story in front of us. In these times, it is often the case that the camera becomes more than a means to record our vision; it becomes a means to help clarify it. The act of looking through the frame, of excluding other angles and elements, of bringing chaos into order, can bring our vision to the surface. This ability to help us see means, in some way, that the camera is a partner with us in the process, and it is what separates photographers from painters. We have a symbiotic relationship—not with the camera technology but with the frame, which, for all the technological changes photography has been through, remains the constant.

Book Sampler - Within The Frame pdf

Visual Poetry

A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs

by Chris Orwig

Breathe

“ To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.”

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

There is something incredibly invigorating and inspiring about photography. And to inspire literally means to “breathe in.” That breath of air brings new life. It deepens your senses and awakens you to discover new beauty, irony, metaphor, pattern, color, and more. And it is an incredibly exciting time to be interested in photography as more pictures are taken, shared, and printed than ever before. What was once limited to the elite is now accessible. Images are everywhere and photography is easy. All you have to do is push the button! But then you download the photos or look at the prints. And what started as genuine enthusiasm has become a disappointment as you sift through the hundreds and hundreds of mediocre photos. How then can you create better, more compelling, and lasting photographs? What’s the secret?

Effort

Ask anyone who has recently bought a digital camera and they’ll tell you the answer to everything is digital. You can see the results instantly; you can take many photos and delete the ones you don’t want. As a friend recently bragged, “When I was in Australia, I took 700 photos!” Are more photos always better? Does it lead to creating more engaging photographs? Isn’t the point to keep photos rather than to delete them? The technological advances and the affordability of digital cameras have generated an exciting swell of creativity and previously unachievable results.

But the goal isn’t quantity, it’s quality. And if you’re interested in digging deeper and going further, the path you’ll need to take isn’t the effortless one but the more difficult one that will change who you are, how you think, and what you see. That path will remind you that some of the most valuable things in life require the most effort.

Great photographs flow from who we are. And great photographs

are fueled by new ways of thinking, seeing, and living.

Curse or Cry

The secret is effort. It’s brute force, grit your teeth, put your shoulder to the grindstone, push, shove, GO! Or maybe not. Maybe there’s something more. As the author Anne Lamott once said, “You can do brickwork as a laborer or as an artisan.” The task is the same, yet the process and the result vary. The laborer works long days looking forward to it all being over. He sweats and toils and the final results are often average. The artisan works even harder, because it’s a labor of love. He sweats, toils, and is engaged in the process. He loses track of the hours and can’t believe it’s already time to pack up and go. Finally, when the job is done, there is a quality about the essence of the artisan’s brickwork that is intangible, inspiring, warming, and full of pride. And then, imagine if the brickwork was tragically damaged. The laborer would curse, while the artisan would cry. Which one are you?

Visual Poetry Sampler pdf

Having had long and very, very interesting conversations with Skippybangkok and Ajaydee, in addition to the new K-3 I'm also going to try and find a mint Pentax LX body (got some of the best lenses for it already) and get into using film.

Ajaydee turns out some stunning work as does Skippy. But the thing that convinced me in the end was Skippys comment about using film for underwater diving shots. One of the aims is to swim upside down and point the lens towards the sun and catch the rays coming through the water. You can't do that with digital. I think digital fails in many ways where film feels so much more natural and certainly more attractive. Digital is prone to these big white blotches where good light should be and ghastly blown out highlights.

Going to give it a go in 2014.