KL still give 12 month Non O (Marriage) visas.

After having read that KL will no longer issue 12 month multiple entry Non O visas I went to the embassy on Monday last and applied for a single entry. After going through my documents the girl asked me to sit down and the papers were passed to a guy sitting behind her. I sat there thinking s**t I am not even going to get a single entry but after about 15 minutes wait she called me up and said "you can have a 12 month multiple entry". My application form only requested a single entry so I don't really know why it was offered!.

I turned down the offer as I intend to apply for a 12 month extension. Tried to find out why it had been offered but having a conversation through that small hole in the perspex screen is impossible so I gave up in the end.

I noticed that a lot of applications were being passed over to the guy sitting at the back, maybe this is some new procedure because of the dodgy visa fiasco there.

The reason I suspect that I was offered the multiple is that I went totally overkill with my documentation, showing her my Thai bank account with 500,000 Baht, letter from the UK embassy showing 50,000 Baht a month plus a copy of my UK bank statement with a big wad of cash in there.

Congratultions.

I believe that KL now wants to see 400,000 for a multiple instead of the previous 100,000. As you had 500,000 it was no problem.

The KL website is showing 400,000 but only the option of single entry not multiple any more.

I am sure the 400k is really for multi entry - there should not be any monitory requirement for single entry other than the normal (and normally not asked) 20k of any such visa.

There seem to have been several posts over the last few months where people have been refused multiple entry with the 400,000 or have been told that it was the last time that they would get it so it would seem as though KL are trying to do away with the multiple entry. Certainly when I was there this week the guy in front of me was refused and given a single entry only although I didn't get a chance to find out any details.

As you can see from the extract from the KL website below the requirement is 400,000 Baht and only the visa fee for a single entry is shown.

2. Dependent of spouse or parent possessing Thai nationality

1. Original passport valid not less than 6 months with a copy of information page(s)
  2. Visa application form duly filled out with one 4x6 cm. sized photograph (white / blue background taken within the past 6 months)
  3. Original and copy of official marriage certificate (For spouse*).
  4. Original and copy of official birth certificate (For children*).
  5. Copy of Thai identity card (of spouse or parent).
  6. Copy of Thai House registration (of spouse or parent).
  7. Bank Statement with a minimum deposit of 400,000 Bath

Note:

* Documents in foreign languages must be translated into Thai or English and should be notarized by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia or applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission

**Company’s document shall be certified by authorized director with seal of the company

Visa Fee

Single: RM 220

Gratis: Malaysian, Singapore, South Korea, Tunisia (fee exempted)

As I said in my original post I only asked for a single entry so was somewhat bemused when I was told I could have a multiple. I did try to bring up the requirements on the website with the girl in the embassy but it was like talking to a plank.

Probably a one-off and not any vast reconsideration at the KL legation of who qualifies and who doesn't.

If I was the OP, I would have grabbed (possibly) the last Multi-O from KL when it was offered. Agreed that he had probably already planned (budgeted and seasoned) for the single-entry-then-extension route of farang feudal patronage. But skipping the chance of another year with only the single KL trip versus the next 3 months and 2 trips to the local Immi to get the extension filed and ratified? Especially if the local Immi turns out to be one of those with hugely anal issues.

Good luck!

Probably a one-off and not any vast reconsideration at the KL legation of who qualifies and who doesn't.

If I was the OP, I would have grabbed (possibly) the last Multi-O from KL when it was offered. Agreed that he had probably already planned (budgeted and seasoned) for the single-entry-then-extension route of farang feudal patronage. But skipping the chance of another year with only the single KL trip versus the next 3 months and 2 trips to the local Immi to get the extension filed and ratified? Especially if the local Immi turns out to be one of those with hugely anal issues.

Good luck!

To be quite honest I probably would have considered it but I was so sure that the 12 month wouldn't be an option I didn't even have enough money with me to pay for it!! One of the problems that I have had over the years with extensions is that I do short term contracting work overseas. The jobs always happen at short notice and several times this has happened just after putting in my papers for a marriage extension and I have lost the extension by not being back in Thailand in time, thus the Multiple entry was ideal for me. Now the work is drying up and I will be packing it in in the next year or two anyway I decided it was about time to start the marriage extensions again, you never know when the 40,000 a month is going to going to be raised again and actually being in Thailand every three months means a 3 hour drive to the border which is a pain. I have also made sure that I have enough in the bank to apply for a retirement extension as an option as I can get that the same day. Worst case scenario is I go back to KL in a few months but hopefully that won't happen this time.

Fortunately my local immigration office is Nakhon Si Thammarat who are usually pretty good and I don't expect any problems when I do apply for an extension ( famous last words).

I did apply in BKK a few weeks ago for a 3 month single entry. As I posted a while ago the one item that I was not told to take with me was my wife and the application was turned down because she wasn't with me. The only option I had was to either take the whole family to BKK or go to KL for 3 days which actually worked out cheaper. The annoying thing about BKK was that they wouldn't check the rest of my paperwork so I could have dragged the wife and kids up there and still be turned down for some obscure reason. At least the documentation that KL require is fairly straightforward.