Newbie Locating To Chiang Mai Questions! Yes Another One!

mallmagician

Hi All,

Just been surfing round the forums soaking in all the great advice. I am to be moving to Chiang Mai early July, and am wanting some advice about a number of things. Any help would be appreciated!

(1) Thinking of renting one of the ViangBua Mansion Apartments for 3 months initially. Say I do this, and fancy a few beers in the main touristy part of town, say near or inside the moat, how much is transport likely to cost?

(2) Does anyone have any experience of these Apartments? They look really nice, and perfect to break me into my new life in Thailand! Am I just being "A fool whose money will soon be parted!"

(3) Visa Runs - Cheapest? Easiest? Most Fun?

(4) An odd one, but I read a lot of books, but on my last trip to Thailand it cost me quite a bit, as I can get through a book in a day if I'm bored! Any good free exchanges, or cheap in Chiang Mai?

(5) Renting a scooter. How much is this monthly? I'm after a semi auto, or auto Honda Wave.

I think thats it at the moment!!

Oh, anyone want to get together in Chiang Mai to welcome a fellow Brit?

Cheers

Phil Taylor

I can answer no 5 for you.Gecko books have three shops near Thapae Gate.They sponsor this forum.Have a look at the advert above.

Do a search on accomodation and visa runs.There is a heap of info here already. :o

Thanks Cmcarrent,

One final question! I like to swim!

Which is the nearest pool to the viangbau mansions which I could use? I know it will probably involve membership to one of those gym things I hear fit people talking about.

Cheers

Phil

I can answer the Viangbua element. I t only opened in November 2004 and everything feels new as opposed to worn; I stayed there for a total of 12 weeks (3 visits) last year and the service is 10/10 - very helpful, friendly and efficient. I've always stayed in either the Deluxe Type 1 or 2 apartments. Type 1 gives you a good sized sitting room + desk for work + kitchen area with dining table + huge bedroom + bath/shower (separate); Type 2 gives you the same + some extra floorspace and windows overlooking the market (I think they have 4 of these Type 2's and they're at the end of Floors 7 & 8). If you go for a Type 1 - try and get the mountain view side; the "city view" is actually mainly the concrete wall side of another tall building........ Anyhow, while there are cheaper places - Viangbua definitely gives you value for money - I'd say it's near 4/5 star hotel service/quality - just no pool..............

As I left last time, I took a look at one of the smaller "superior" rooms and it seemed OK, just a tad claustrophobic for more than a week maybe? If you can run to the either of the Deluxe apartments types (very good rate for more than a month), you won't regret it. The wireless internet works the way you want it to wherever you are in the building.

Coin-op laundry on the ground floor as well as pleasant coffee bar and separate restaurant (both good quality and not expensive for the quality). I kept hearing talk about a gym opening; I'm a lazy b*gger and never followed up in December 2005 whether it had opened up yet......

I'd say you definitely need your own transport if you're staying there that long - but it's only about 10 mins to Thapae Gate and the Night Bazaar/nightspots etc beyond. At the end of the Viangbua soi is Chang Puek Road - main thoroughfare south into the old city. Chang Puek is not a touristy area so it's not packed with tuk-tuks, but they do appear if you hover a while. Viangbua booked me a taxi to the airport a couple of times which came to 150 baht, so I'm guessing that a cab into downtown would be about 80 baht????

Nearest pool that I know of and used was the 25 metre pool at the Chiang Mai Orchid Hotel (next door to Central Department store on Huay Kaew Road) pleasant enough and not crowded - monthly membership of about 1,000 baht (??) which also gets you into their fitness gym which is probably adequate rather than special. Given that you're north of the old city, you're also within striking/driving distance of the 700 Year Stadium which has a full length pool.

Regarding the motocy (bike/scooter) - I'd recommend Mr Mechanic........ others have recommended them and I've used them twice with no cause for complaint. Buddy (opposite Central Dept Store) seem to be on a par with them.

Enjoy :o

PS - Viangbua is a 5-minute bike hop to Rimping Supermarket (next to Novotel) and there are 7-11's round the corner for last minute stuff. I also recommend Thanon Market at the back of Viangbua - great opportunity to shop Thai-style for anything you can imagine and there are few enough farang faces in the area that nearly everyone will treat you as something special..........

Edited by Steve2UK

:o Thats a superb post, thanks Steve. My budget won't really stretch to the deluxe, as its about 22,000 a month compared to 12,000. I reckon I'll be ok, there's only one of me!

Great tips, all of which taken on board (I've printed it your post!)

Thanks for taking the time to write the post. Its much appreciated.

Regards

Phil

To follow up on Viangbua...agree with last post its not a bad standard and very comfortable but for me location was a bit way out.

We only stayed a week on last jolli and had wife nieces up for a couple of days from bangkok so it worked out quite well.(had car/bus)

About a 20 minutes walk to the nearest pub which was prob.the Queen V.(that week was hot-temp wise)with the next gin joint/s another 10 minutes towards the "gate"

Tuk Tuk was about 60 bt back from Red Lion after midnight.....

I personally prefer being around the Anusan market area but as we usually only stay for a couple of days at a time in CM ..it was OK.

Horses for courses et all that...

bit of info on location,rates etc.....

http://www.viangbua.chiangmai-online.com/location.html

Viangbua is a nice building but the location is funky at best. Okay you can walk to Tanin market which is one of the better ones in town but thats about it... Okay Rimping store is a reasonable distance also...

I think you can find better places like Hillside 4 which have more amenities and are close to things like central shopping center and save close to 10,000 baht a month. Hillside 4 is even pricey and lots of better places for the baht out there.

Easiest visa run to to Mae Sai and takes the better part of a day and costs about 900 baht for bus or van and Myanmar entry stamp.

Gecko books have three shops near Thapae Gate. They sponsor this forum. Have a look at the advert above.

Thanks chuchok!

If you are looking for inexpensive books to supplement the current best sellers, we put out bargain literature in front of the shop for 100 baht pretty often: Trade paperbacks (the more expensive editions) that were popular and won awards a few years ago, but have faded in popularity.

Also, a lot of John Grisham/Tom Clancy/James Patterson/ Patricia Cornwell and romance type books that we have too many of for 20-40-60 baht although the 20 baht ones are usually junk. People snap them up so to get the best ones you have to look regularly.

Also, for those on a real budget, there are 2 used books store right across the street from Suriwong Books that many used book shops go to for supplies. They have mostly Thai books, but also other languages. There is another in the back of Tanin Market off of Chang Puek Road and another near the Sheraton Hotel.

You have to wade through a bunch of dirty cr*p to find anything decent in these shops, but they are your cheapest option and you can find some real treasures from time to time. :o

All,

Thank you uall for kindly taking the time to respond.

I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Viang Bua Mansions for 2 months initially, with the view to extend if I'm finding the location a bit too far out.

I will join the Chiang Mai Orchid Fitness Centre for my daily swim!

Books, Gecko deffo looks the place for me! I'm a new grisham/patterson fan, so sounds like Gecko will be the result for me! Just hope they take them back once I've finished with them!

With regards to the Visa Run, I see that you can do a Golden Triangle tour that takes in the Myanmar border. 1 day job, about 1000THB by all accounts. This has gotta be less boring than sitting on a bus all day there and back! Least I get a lunch thrown in, and a bit of culture along the way!

I have a couple of other little questions!

Electricity is charged at "6 Baht per unit". In real terms, what is this a month? Average usage??

Thats it for the mo.

Thanks Again

Phil

My wife and I stayed in the Viangbua for a week last October while we looked for something more permanent. The standard rooms in the Viangbua would be fine for a single person. The staff is friendly and helpful; security is excellent; everything is modern and well-maintained. The location isn't bad either. The Rimping Supermarket is withing walking distance and the Thanin Market may be the best market in Chiang Mai. There are 100's of options for take-away as well as over a dozen stands with tables and chairs for authentic Thai food. I still go back often to the Kao Soi guy. It's the best in CM, imho. I found the food in the Viangbua's restaurant to be mediocre and prepared for farang tastes. If you're not bringing a lap-top, there are internet cafes around the corner that charge 15 baht/hour, but you'll be the oldest person in there.

If we walked out to the main road, we never had trouble finding a songthieuw for 15 baht per person to take us anywhere in the city but it's almost impossible to get one after 9:00pm.

Honda Waves rent for 100 baht/day. It shouldn't be a problem renting one for a month for 2500 baht or less.

We wound up in Hillside 4. we thought the location was a little better. They also have a pool for residents. It costs 100 baht/day for non-residents.

Why don't you make a reservation in the Viangbua for a week? See what it's like while checking out other places like Hillside 4. There should be plenty of apts available in July.

Hi!

Does anyone have a link for the Hillside apartments? I haven't as yet had a response to my request for a total price on the VinagBua, so I could always change.

I found a couple of sites selling the hillside rooms, but nothing for rental. Any links with pics/details would be great.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks for that endure,

Yeah looks good. Will check into the Mansions then check the Hillside out in person.

So, that leaves a couple more inane questions (Am I annoying anyone yet?)

(1) How much is electricity? I will be charged 6THB per unit. What is a unit? And how much is an average monthly amount for a serviced apartment?

(2) Silly one this, just a logistic thing! If I go to Tesco's and buy some food, water, and beer, how would I get it to my room without abandoning it on the street, and going back and forth etc? Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone that does Beer/Water delivery for a reasonable rate? What can I say? I'm lazy!

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for that endure,

Yeah looks good. Will check into the Mansions then check the Hillside out in person.

So, that leaves a couple more inane questions (Am I annoying anyone yet?)

(1) How much is electricity? I will be charged 6THB per unit. What is a unit? And how much is an average monthly amount for a serviced apartment?

(2) Silly one this, just a logistic thing! If I go to Tesco's and buy some food, water, and beer, how would I get it to my room without abandoning it on the street, and going back and forth etc? Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone that does Beer/Water delivery for a reasonable rate? What can I say? I'm lazy!

Cheers

Phil

Oh, and also, again a silly thing, but can you get BBC Prime in Thailand through UGC or someone? I'm ashamed to admit I'm gonna miss Eastenders!! Any thoughts, apart from get over it!!!! :o

1 Unit of electricity is defined as 1 kw per Hour consumed...

therefore if your hairdrier is rated at 1000w and you use it continously for 1 hour (dont advise it) then it costs you........6 bt :o

Oh, and also, again a silly thing, but can you get BBC Prime in Thailand through UGC or someone? I'm ashamed to admit I'm gonna miss Eastenders!! Any thoughts, apart from get over it!!!!

UBC carries this on their 'platinum' service...

Thanks RinRada,

So if I use my twin jet hairdrier for 30mins, this is 6bt too, as each jet is 1000w. I don't like waiting an hour for my hair to dry! :D

Seriously though, thanks! Clears that one up!

Phil

Gotta admit that I just stick my head out of the window.......saved 6 baht :o:D

Wonder if I could sell ViangBua Mansions on the idea of upgrading their Cable to Platinum UBC? Hmmm, probably not! Think I may have to buy a relative here in the UK a DVD recorder, a load of blank discs, and a Radio Times!!

To be honest about the hairdryer situation, I have very little hair that goes from wet to dry with a gnats fart! :o

Cheers Everyone for their input!

I was serious about how to get beer and water delivered though!! Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

I was serious about how to get beer and water delivered though!! Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Viangbua sell various size bottles of water up to multi-litre flasks/flagons in the lobby - cost not much higher than you'll see in Tesco. Most motorbikes (e.g. Dream, Wave etc) come with a basket on the front - big enough to take a supermarket bag of cans/bottles. If you need to transport more than that, get a rucksack. With a motorbike, you'll park in the covered area at the back of the building - about 20 meters from the lift/elevator. I think you'll manage it..............

:o

Beer delivery is easy – just spend 1,000 baht in any of the supermarkets (Tops, Lotus etc) and they will delivery at no extra cost. !,000 will buy you a couple of cases of beer and a few other bits and pieces and is the easy way to get all the bulky stuff to your room.

i pay on average about 300bt for electric a month in my condo thats two of us and if your looking for a nice condo in town 2 minutes two night market ect try doi ping mansion 1 bedroom 8000bt good value for money very small pool

• 4 months later...
i pay on average about 300bt for electric a month in my condo thats two of us and if your looking for a nice condo in town 2 minutes two night market ect try doi ping mansion 1 bedroom 8000bt good value for money very small pool

Hi

Yes, this is excavating an old thread but I need to find a place for a month or a bit more in CM. Would you know if Doi Ping offered adsl internet with connectibility to my laptop or wifi? How big approximately was the 1-bedroom flat? And if they accepted rental of a month - some places have a 3-month minimum.

Thanks a lot for any info on these points.