Did This Ever Happen To You?

sirchai

Sawasdee khrap, good day,

I'm just wondering if that' an "Isaan phenomenon", or pretty much common all over this country. Happened to me so many times.

Here's the scenario:

I'm at a 7 Eleven, a Big C, or somewhere else, and waiting in line to pay my stuff. Then ( mostly female citizens) somebody doesn't, see me, goes in front and pays, like I wouldn't even be there. .

I'm just wondering, as I'm not really a Lilliputian. Should I buy pepper spray to avoid it, or just smile at them? -. Or both?-w00t.gif ,

, ,

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very common.

Not just in Isaan, were I reside, but I also see it in Bangkok and other places as well.

Especially at 7/11 type stores.

Very rude.

More of the Thai "Me First" attitude.

I find that if you complain or comment that you were there first, they will usually back off and get into line.

If I spoke Thai a little better, I'd love to thank them for paying for my purchase and then walk off!

I also find that most cashiers who notice you are put off by this will insist on completing your transaction first and make the rude one wait.

• Like 1

Oh yea..... I agree has happened to me many times. Also while waiting to have meat items weighed at Macro I've had women put their items in front of mine on the counter top almost pushing mine backwards. I guess it is "me first" mentality, or maybe Western people "don't count."

If you speak thai,you should tell them loudly so they can hear: I suppose you cut in front of me because you want to pay for all the stuff I am about to buy. If it is so, very kind of you. Go ahead and pay. If not, show some fu_king respect and get behind me.

That's what I would say and said before but for some reason people don't really get in front of me so I don't need to deal with this.

• Like 1

Learn "maa gaawn krup". It means I came before you/first. Make sure you nail the tone (middle) on the maa, or you'll be saying the dog came first, or the horse came first.

Say it with a smile to the cashier - avoids any direct conflict with the interloper.

It works especially well when you have 3 Russians and 2 Chinese in front of you and they actually came first. Just smile say maa gawn krup to the cashier and she'll give you a huge grin and serve you first. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Learn "maa gaawn krup". It means I came before you/first. Make sure you nail the tone (middle) on the maa, or you'll be saying the dog came first, or the horse came first.

Say it with a smile to the cashier - avoids any direct conflict with the interloper.

It works especially well when you have 3 Russians and 2 Chinese in front of you and they actually came first. Just smile say maa gawn krup to the cashier and she'll give you a huge grin and serve you first. thumbsup.gif

Impress them with saying : "Pom maa gown kap"

Tonal pom low, maa,middle, gown middle but lower as maa, kap short.

If I lie, I do this in commission, the wife instructed me.......

Also very handy is "I am not waiting for the bus/songtaew".

But in the Isan try to learn that in Isan.

On the other hand, works very nicely in the rest of Thailand and in Laos.

Edited by hansnl

"Taam kiew dee gwaa" always works for me .... and I rarely smile

Each and every situation is different depending on who is jumping the queue, that being so it will detemine the way I speak.

Chern krap, pom mai reep, help yourself I am in no hurry.

Yaa saeng kiw (kiw pronounced like queue) dont jump the queue.

Kor kaew kiw noi, please join the queue.

Other times, mai mee maa ra yaat, no manners, said more as an observation rather than directly to the person.

Other times, khon ban nork mai rue reuang, usually gets a smirk from others.

Unless you are familiar with the language and have no problem speaking it, I would advise against trying to use it.

as all 7-11 and tesco express are franchise every customer counts,when it happens to me i dump whatever i got on the counter make sure they get the message and walk out.

that way the staff gets the message and the ignorant pillock as well.then the next time you go into the same shop they will remember you.

Edited by meatboy

This is sort of on subject. At the division 1 immigration in Bangkok there is usually a fairly long line before opening in the morning. I usually show up early to beat the crowd but when they open the doors it is total chaos and everyone breaks from the line and runs to the entry door. I have noticed that most doing this seem to be residents from the Thai neighboring countries. I have even complained online at the immigration website but nothing seems to have ever been done. I believe one guard on the outside of the office doors would discourage this behavior.

Don't want to go off topic too much, but your tones are wrong.

Phom = rising

Ma = mid

Gawn = low

Having said that, if said as a sentence they will understand!

biggrin.png

Happens everywhere in Asia. There aren't really any queues here.

The worst in Thailand is on buses in Bangkok. The woman go into a frenzy to get on first, get into a seat first, and get off first. They will squeeze through tiny gaps to get in front of people, race elderly men to get into seats first and ignore pregnant women standing.

They think men should be the only ones to stand for others, regardless of the circumstances.

Someone should tell them that being female is not a disability.

Edited by ChrisB87

Don't want to go off topic too much, but your tones are wrong.

Phom = rising

Ma = mid

Gawn = low

Having said that, if said as a sentence they will understand!

biggrin.png

I've always said "phom yuu gawn" (I was here first) and it always works

You must be new to Asia, it's not so bad in SE Asia, but in China it's a 'pastime' cutting queue, I have literally grabbed people by the shirt and thrown them behind me, India is about the same as well. Thailand, Malaya and Indo ahhh nothing yet

Very common.

Not just in Isaan, were I reside, but I also see it in Bangkok and other places as well.

Especially at 7/11 type stores.

Very rude.

More of the Thai "Me First" attitude.

I find that if you complain or comment that you were there first, they will usually back off and get into line.

If I spoke Thai a little better, I'd love to thank them for paying for my purchase and then walk off!

I also find that most cashiers who notice you are put off by this will insist on completing your transaction first and make the rude one wait.

It happens everywhere. Thailand is for Thais. We are here at their bequest. We should never be in their way. And never ever piss them off by saying something, you might get shot. I just try and make sure they can't get past me.

This happens in elevators also... just keep in mind they are probably not doing this intentionally - Thai's cannot do two things at once, so maybe when they thinking of the next meal they just cannot think of what is really happening around them, like standing in a line... they not the most intelligent species on the planet... just be patient with them.

• Like 2