Did This Ever Happen To You?

sirchai

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at traffic. If there is even a hint of space, then someone will edge up to and in to it until there is no space remaining. You hold back one centimeter and you are the odd one out. It is a cultural thing. Get ahead. Be first, and there are no rules or quarters asked or given.

Same in queuing up with Thais. Even the queues resemble a herd of cattle cramming around a feed trough.

The reasons are an open can of worms and not worth going in to.

You can learn a lot about a society and culture, in general, merely by observing these sorts of things.

It's quite normal, they must get in front to double check your hansumness. .............giggle.gif .................smile.png

Hi transam,

Thanks for the nice compliment.- Will be in Ubon tomorrow and give you a ring.--wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

I have been reading Thai Visa for a long time and this would have to be one of the most disgraceful threads I have ever seen. Hillbillies? Monkeys? Retards? Brain injuries? Dogs Arse? All directed with a sweeping brush to the people who are your neighbours/your boss/your staff/ and of even more concern your life partner.

Reading this thread I know who the brain dead retards really are. sad.png

Glad you are sure of that....whistling.gif

Oh yea..... I agree has happened to me many times. Also while waiting to have meat items weighed at Macro I've had women put their items in front of mine on the counter top almost pushing mine backwards. I guess it is "me first" mentality, or maybe Western people "don't count."

As it has happened to me so many times i must conclude that in some Thais eyes we really don't count!

I always push their goods aside and push mine back to the front of the counter, same with some Russians, usually works.

I was in the 7-11 in Chiang Saen and I arrived at the till at the same time as a Thai guy. Whist we were both gesturing for the other to go first, a lady just walked in front of both of us :)

It ended well though, everyone got served ;)

No need for any insults, grabbing people, fighting, swearing, racism etc.

It was a close thing though. I'm surprised it didn't make the news!

I've never had this happen to me, if it did I'd almost definitely say something to them in Thai (Politely, although perhaps firmly if I thought they had seen me before pushing in).

I think that this is something which regularly happens to some people, but not to others.

I'm a bit bigger than most Thai guys though, and usually stand in a place which is reasonably clear that I'm in the queue.

Maybe some of the guys who have it happen often, aren't standing quite as clearly in the queue? Or maybe sorta "hovering" between the queues for 2 different counters. As if I see someone doing that, I generally have no problems standing in one queue, and make the assumption that they're in the other one (I wouldn't be surprised if they sometimes feel differently lol).

Likewise, if you look like you're not very sure about what you're doing and are sorta "dithering". As then they might think that you're still deciding on what to buy, or just a little lost, and so feel like you're not actually in the queue.

But as I say, I've never had someone push in infront of me (not that I've noticed anyway), either in Thailand or NZ. Closest I've come is when someone's friends have come to join them in a queue (Which in my book is a grey area. e.g. It's OK if they're doing it all in one transaction, not OK if it's separate transactions.... but you don't know until they're at the counter, by which time it's too late to say anything lol).

A high percentage of farangs are retired so what's the rush? Let these ignorant types continue with their " busy" lives.

It's the same across the world now, even in the countries that are famed for polite cuing! ( no names mentioned)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't feel so bad about it. It's an ASIA thing.

It happens in Korea (definately) - but usually more often from the older folks. I here it happens in China all the time. Experienced a little bit of this in Japan - again, a little.

Best thing to do is make them lose face by saying something in their native tongue ("How rude of you!" or "Are you in a hurry?" or "I was in line, shame on you!" or "Do you need glassess, I am here.")

Make them lose a little face and take joy in that, then go about your day.

Like the door bell thingie at 7/11 when anyone walks, in line cutters are annoying. But just as I know the ding bong will sound when the door opens I know that I will be cut in front of when at the register, just as I know that when I want to buy anything at that a stall my price will be higher than a Thai's. Such is life here. Smile and laugh to yourself, or make a game of it and keep score of how many times it doesn't happen. Life is too short to worry about everything.

• Like 1

Last time something simular happened to me I was at the international airport in Bangkok. Wasn't allowed to fly tourist class. Had to buy an exactly same sized business class seat behind the curtain in order to fly as quick as physically posible to Udon Thani on a Friday evening. Who does not want to go home after having worked for a week ? Quite understandable. However, later in time, at the gate, I talked to a relative young looking German/Thai boy who asked me how to drive from Udon Thani to his girlfriend in Kalasin. I understood he was traveliing tourist class and had bought his ticket a few hours after I bought mine and received my ticket. He told me I was a falang and should know I will always be treated that way. The ATM machine I used already cost me more money than I had gotten used to in the past, apparently due to new rules applied. That was the start of my very first day back in paradise ;-)

Edited by jacnl2000

"Buy" pepperspray or USE it is what you meant? This is Thailand, don't bring pepperspray to a sword-fight.

In this case I usually very loudly say "UHHHHHHH QUEUE!!!" and give them a stare of murder in my eyes and they get the idea.

And for those of you who will say that this topic or post is mundane or pointless and there are bigger fish to fry or be concerned with then I guess you are used to a life of disrespect and discourteous people ad human interaction. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.

Just came back from buying my daily beers and fags. Had all my stuff already at the counter of a shop, while a Thai guy was asking me really politely if he could pay for one item, as i had a lot of more stuff.

Sure, dude, go ahead. I've got so much time." Pretty much liked the scenery and waiting is unfortunately a part of human life.

After him a good looking girl, just buying a lipstick. The gentleman in me saying: "Please, go ahead"..the girl: "No, you were first". Thought, well, that's awesome.

Then I payed my bill. The cashier must have thought foreigners are blind. She gave me 37 baht change, instead of 337 baht. A big smile in my face and she understood her tiny "mistake" and gave me my other 300 baht.

Life's wonderful. Sometimes.-wai2.gif

My pet hate is when boarding a flight ,the attendants instruct those seated in rear of aircraft to board first,common sense, but not to Asians, mad scramble with suitcase size carry -ons ,so by time I get to the aisle the line up is horrendous , they never learn.

Rods songhklasid.