Police Stopping Foreign Drivers – Fines subject to Change

khwaibah

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this is my first Blog with Thai Visa, so you do you think The Thai Police target us Foregners, just stay around Soi 9 police station and watch daily. You might see my point, of course they do, no helmets, no licence, no insurance and modifications. lets face it we are targets. I do see some Thais too but mostly Foreigners. Now here is the rest of the story, the police keep a blind eye to what really happens in Pattaya. Eg, cell phones while driving, I see this 10 times daily, youths driving to school kids, 3 on a bike, no helmets, no licence, and driving very fast. One ways streets, dangerous driving, eg pizza delivery, young boys, Foreigners in many cases driving bad. Running red lights, riding on walkways. Lets face it, not safe in Pattaya at all to drive, All we can do is drive careful as we can, and if we do get in an accident, we can be at fault, just because we are here. So to the Thai Police, start by opening your eyes, and be fair and make Pattaya safer.

I don't know why but I've never been stopped at a checkpoint. I wind my window down and smile and they wave me through. I don't know why, but I feel insulted. Do I really come across as that decent, innocent and honest? I think I need a ponytail, or tattoos or something. Does anyone know where I can get a ring put in my nose?

Maybe if you don't put your seat belt on.36_12_11.gif

The police are not only targeting foreigners, the stops include everyone on an equal basis.

If foreigners don`t want to give the police any excuses to book them, than do the following:

Ensure that the bike is in reasonable condition.

Make sure the bike is taxed and insured, with the tax disk clearly displayed for viewing.

Wear a motor bike helmet, which also pertains to any passengers, at all times when on the road.

Carry your driving license and passport (not copies) with you.

If pulled by the police, don`t have attitude, don`t argue, be polite and show all your documents on request.

If it`s not possible for some of you to fulfil all of the above or think you know better and these regulations should not apply to you, than good luck to all who sail in her.

May I suggest another course of action which most riders of big bikes follow in LOS.

The bike should be in excellent condition, fully taxed with 1st class insurance

Be fully geared-up.

Carry your passport, insurance docs license on long trips.

Never, ever stop for the uniformed-mafia. Remember, they're not a real police force as we from the west know a police force to be. They're crooks. Plain and simple. This also goes for the so-called Tourist and Highway Police. If they can't find a real reason to fine you, they'll invent one. From riding while white, riding on the right, and speeding to having loud pipes and having a tinted helmet visor etc. the list is endless.

If the do try and stop you, just ride around them. If on the rare chance they chase you, they'll only be on faggy little Boxers. No match for your R1 or GSXR.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Please respect the laws of Thailand.

hey yingyo,who are you expecting us to respect, the laws,the Gov,the police,for sure you're not asking the tiny minority farang population to respect the law 65,000,000 Thai can't find the time or inclination.Now if you're a Thai person I give you room for being in Fantasy Land but if you're some farang do gooder,blow me.

Yingyo is right mate.

If some foreigner came to your country wouldn't you expect them to get license and do the right thing? Its not a matter of doing as the locals do. You are a guest, you are expected to play by the rules. Get over your white mans superiority complex and obey the rules.

If you don't and you get caught pay the fine/tea money and don't whinge about it.

Oh dear, they're all online today. saai.gif

• Like 2

hey yingyo,who are you expecting us to respect, the laws,the Gov,the police,for sure you're not asking the tiny minority farang population to respect the law 65,000,000 Thai can't find the time or inclination.Now if you're a Thai person I give you room for being in Fantasy Land but if you're some farang do gooder,blow me.

Yingyo is right mate.

If some foreigner came to your country wouldn't you expect them to get license and do the right thing? Its not a matter of doing as the locals do. You are a guest, you are expected to play by the rules. Get over your white mans superiority complex and obey the rules.

If you don't and you get caught pay the fine/tea money and don't whinge about it.

Ignore the above instructions.

Do what the locals do and wing it, if you get stopped raise your voice, stand up, swing your arms, and then you will be let go.

But...

Every now and again they will draw a gun and shoot you.

Its pot luck some times.

• Like 2

Get used to police stopping motorcycle riders. Earlier there was a general instructing to traffic police instructing them to check Tax Discs and insurance when stopping for any other reason.

PM Yingluck has recently reported that traffic police should enforce all Thai Traffic Law across Thailand from 2014 onward.

I hope it's true, I all for that especially if Traffic Law is enforced for underage riders /drivers.

• Like 1

Good. Crack down on ALL the Motorcycle Idiots (Farang and Thai) fine them,but better still ban them from the streets of Chiang Mai.

I fell in love with CNX 30+ years ago and still love the place but Loath the Clowns....not the Law-abiding Motor Bike Riders, just the Clowns, of which we have more than our fair share.

The police are not only targeting foreigners, the stops include everyone on an equal basis.

Agreed - This headline ridiculously sensationalist...

From the article itself...

Although in the past riders who weren’t wearing helmets were targeted, now the police are stopping anyone and everyone. Riders are asked to show their driving licenses and in some case green books.

No where does it say that the BiB are solely targeting foreigners... It does say the 'police are stopping anyone and everyone'

Quite clear then... I stupid headline, but a common sense policy...

Good on the BiB stopping anyone, checking their papers, ownership, their exhausts (noise), helmets etc... I can't see how this can be a negative thing. If you are legal, there are no issues other than the inconvenience of being stopped, which is unavoidable in Thailand as so many motorcyclists do flout the laws.

• Like 1

Yes we do but does that mean the new laws the police make them selves. I gather you are Thai and should know some of the trumped up new laws police come up with.

Here is one that the highways police got me on for 400baht.

I live in Khon Kaen and driving down with my wife to Pattaya for a little break, came through Nakhon Ratchasima and going over the main mountain road, coming down on the dual carriageway there were 2 big wagons in front of me in the left lane they were driving bumper to bumper, I over take them and pull back into the left lane then I noticed a highway patrol car some way ahead, officer came out and stopped me, he said I was driving on the right, I said I overtake the 2 wagons, he said interpreted through my wife that I can only overtake one wagon at a time. So please tell me if you know if this is a road law. If was so stupid I laughed, I insisted on a receipt many times he ended up giving me 200 baht back out of the 400.

Yes we do but does that mean the new laws the police make them selves. I gather you are Thai and should know some of the trumped up new laws police come up with.

I live in Khon Kaen and driving down with my wife to Pattaya for a little break, came through Nakhon Ratchasima and going over the main mountain road, coming down on the dual carriageway there were 2 big wagons in front of me in the left lane they were driving bumper to bumper, I over take them and pull back into the left lane then I noticed a highway patrol car some way ahead, officer came out and stopped me, he said I was driving on the right, I said I overtake the 2 wagons, he said interpreted through my wife that I can only overtake one wagon at a time. So please tell me if you know if this is a road law. If was so stupid I laughed, I insisted on a receipt many times he ended up giving me 200 baht back out of the 400.

I hear you. I was in Bangkok on Sukumvit when a red bus was stopped in the left lane. I slowly passed on the right and the cop stopped me and had the ticket half written before I could turn off the engine. I explained that I was only in the right lane to pass a stopped bus, he smilled, said mai pen rai and stopped traffic so I could walk across the street to pay the fine at a temporary kiosk. I did get a receipt- 200 baht.

Road checks are ticket factories, 555

Wear your helmet on your motorbike, wear your seatbelt in your car, have a current tax stamp and proof of insurance, have a Thai DL, there isn't anything they can do to you legally. If they try to extort you, speak only English and act dumb. You'll eventually get waved though.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

If foreigners don`t want to give the police any excuses to book them, than do the following:

Make sure the bike is taxed and insured, with the tax disk clearly displayed for viewing.

Wear a motor bike helmet, which also pertains to any passengers, at all times when on the road.

If pulled by the police, don`t have attitude, don`t argue, be polite and show all your documents on request.

If it`s not possible for some of you to fulfil all of the above or think you know better and these regulations should not apply to you, than good luck to all who sail in her.

May I suggest another course of action which most riders of big bikes follow in LOS.

Be fully geared-up.

Never, ever stop for the uniformed-mafia. Remember, they're not a real police force as we from the west know a police force to be. They're crooks. Plain and simple. This also goes for the so-called Tourist and Highway Police. If they can't find a real reason to fine you, they'll invent one. From riding while white, riding on the right, and speeding to having loud pipes and having a tinted helmet visor etc. the list is endless.

If the do try and stop you, just ride around them. If on the rare chance they chase you, they'll only be on faggy little Boxers. No match for your R1 or GSXR.

I do wish that those with such low intellect would not quote my posts with their cringe worthy suggestions. It`s embarrassing.

• Like 2

Be fully geared-up.

R1 or GSXR? Found out one day on the way to Phitsanulok from CNX they can't keep up with a CBR 250 either.

I don't know why but I've never been stopped at a checkpoint. I wind my window down and smile and they wave me through. I don't know why, but I feel insulted. Do I really come across as that decent, innocent and honest? I think I need a ponytail, or tattoos or something. Does anyone know where I can get a ring put in my nose?

I know a cattle ranch in Colorado where they'll put that ring in your nose for free.

Be fully geared-up.

I do wish that those with such low intellect would not quote my posts with their cringe worthy suggestions. It`s embarrassing.

I do apologize for embarrassing you with my low intellect.

BTW, 'cringeworthy' is one word.

facepalm2_zps0999464a.jpg

"Carry your driving license and passport (not copies) with you."

I don't recommend your advice here. I think there're are better alternatives.

The Missus has not had a ticket but been pulled over many times. Proper papers for bike, insurance and etc. are under the bike seat and her license is in her purse.

Get used to police stopping motorcycle riders. Earlier there was a general instructing to traffic police instructing them to check Tax Discs and insurance when stopping for any other reason.

PM Yingluck has recently reported that traffic police should enforce all Thai Traffic Law across Thailand from 2014 onward.

I hope it's true, I all for that especially if Traffic Law is enforced for underage riders /drivers.

Amazing Prime Minister. She says wait for a couple of months before you enforce all the laws.

I wonder if she is busy rewriting the traffic laws too.

I hear you. I was in Bangkok on Sukumvit when a red bus was stopped in the left lane. I slowly passed on the right and the cop stopped me and had the ticket half written before I could turn off the engine. I explained that I was only in the right lane to pass a stopped bus, he smilled, said mai pen rai and stopped traffic so I could walk across the street to pay the fine at a temporary kiosk. I did get a receipt- 200 baht.

Road checks are ticket factories, 555

Both of you figure that because you are unaware of the law it is a made up one especially for you.

Yingyo is right mate.

Oh dear, they're all online today. saai.gif alt=saai.gif>

Oh dear,

Negative, Thai hating supremacists are online on TV every day.. A little club of suck holes, draining their precious beer on THIER precious bar stool, hating Thailand, not wanting to conform, thinking they don't need to obey the law because they are WHITE God dam_n it!

Get over yourselves.. As stated: would you take the same stance at home? Would you drive without a license? Without a helmet if the law dictated you wear one? I doubt it. Would you have sympathy for some tourist driving without a license/helmet? I doubt it.

You and your mates strike me as haters and nay-sayers, self proclaimed Thai experts and self righteous dribblers of half truths and bar wisdom.

I have read your negativity for years, and rarely reply, simply because you are not worth the oxygen required to tap out response. But its a slow day at the office, and I feel like letting you know how much you and your smug platitudes piss off the majority of us who are happy in Thailand and appreciate we are GUESTS...

Some people might say you were a bit overboard on your post.

Not me I agree with you 100% some of them carry a lap top or pad with them so they can report their bar wisdom right from the bar.

There is a check point every night near Duke's, at the end of the Iron bridge. Any others you can share knowlage of?

During the day their is often a check point on the west end of the Narrowt bridge. The facts are we should not have to worry about where they are. there has been several posters here explaining how to be legal and not worry about them.

• Like 1

Crowd control, and a few quid on the side to make it all worth the effort. Nothing more... nothing less.

On a side note, the foreigners being pulled over are the ones making it easy. If foreigners had insurance, driver licenses, helmets, etc. and made it hard for the officers to extort, then the officers would go where there is least resistance. Bullies usually do when their target smartens up.

Edited by papa al

Edited by andreandre