moving to Isan

trineax

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife is x bar girl and im not ashamed to admit it! all the people you meet who say my wife worked in a bank or tesco and so on, ok yea you take a big chance when you marry an x bar girl. and the odds are stacked, but the rewards are worth it, my wife is smart ,funny, and lovely and loyal,she did what she had to do for her and her family! there is no s/s in issan! you may think they are hard nosed women some are, but most are decent human beings that are just trying to live, how many of us could go to a strange place at a very young age and put up with all the stuff they have had to? i have the greatest respect for them, and lets not forget we created this market not them!!!! so please lets take a step back and have a bit more compashionwai2.gif

Respect must be in the eye of the beholder.

I'd rather respect a young Thai-Lady, that makes an effort to support the family "on location" somewhere in the Isaan by working the farm and/or working as a seamstress or store clerk and possibly going to night-school.

If she wants to make an acquaintance with a Farang = every village has an Internet-Cafe in the meantime. That's the kind of Thai-Lady I respect.

What's with all those middle-aged female bar-empolyees, that started a career some 20 years ago in the "entertainment-business" and haven't managed to hit the "jackpot" by landing a Farang? = The majority ! They present themselves today as overweight, grumpy and disgruntled persons, knowing that they missed the "jackpot".

A rude awakening.

Relationships of Farangs and bar-ladies can last for many years, as is often-times mentioned here, as long as liberal amounts of money can be withdrawn from the nearest ATM.

Otherwise the Farang may be in for a rude awakening.

Nevermind, I don't want to spoil anyone's party.

Cheers.

A good reply. I think the O/P has a working brain, and going to Issan first looking for a partner, and not going to Pattaya looking in a bar. Take your time O/P and good luck

What rubbish.

On location seamstress, night school, internet cafe.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Many villages have no direct phone lines let alone internet.

Nearest to me is a 30 mile drive!!

Fact is they can earn 10 times as much as a prostitute than working on the land which for most is the only alternative other than working in a Bangkok sweat shop for next to nothing.

Above they were critized for taking the easy way out. Only an ignorant a88**hole would consider prostitution an easy option.

For many it is the only way out of poverty and only the strong can hack it. I admire them for their strength and determination to try and have a better life. If on the way they bullshit a few farangs who really think they can buy them for life rather than just a good time then so what. My experience of most farangs and their attitudes leads me to think they deserve what they get.

As for the ATM comment this is the same the world over. When the money runs out so does the American wife, the english wife ,here, the USA, the UK, Europe, Timbuktoo makes no difference so don't try to use it to criticise Thai prostitutes.

Rant Over

So the Thai-Female population (roughly 30 Million), should seek the "golden-opportunities" that tourist-hub's have to offer. The ones that are left behind in the sticks are "dummies, that don't know a good thing when they see it. " Ok, now we know, thanks for insight.

After having distributed them evenly among the tourist-hub's, we will have to import plenty of "Uncle Ben's Rice" from the US.

Cheers.

my wife is x bar girl and im not ashamed to admit it! all the people you meet who say my wife worked in a bank or tesco and so on,  ok yea you take a big chance when you marry an x bar girl. and the odds are stacked, but the rewards are worth it, my wife is smart ,funny, and lovely and loyal,she did what she had to do for her and her family! there is no s/s in issan! you may think they are hard nosed women some are, but most are decent human beings that are just trying to live, how many of us could go to a strange place at a very young age and put up with all the stuff they have had to? i have the greatest respect for them, and lets not forget we created this market not them!!!! so please lets take a step back and have a bit more compashionPosted Image

I'd rather respect a young Thai-Lady, that makes an effort to support the family "on location" somewhere in the Isaan by working the farm and/or working as a seamstress or store clerk and possibly going to night-school.

If she wants to make an acquaintance with a Farang = every village has an Internet-Cafe in the meantime. That's the kind of Thai-Lady I respect.

What's with all those middle-aged female bar-empolyees, that started a career some 20 years ago in the "entertainment-business" and haven't managed to hit the "jackpot" by landing a Farang?  = The majority ! They present themselves today as overweight, grumpy and disgruntled persons, knowing that they missed the "jackpot". 

A rude awakening.

Relationships of Farangs and bar-ladies can last for many years, as is often-times mentioned here, as long as liberal amounts of money can be withdrawn from the nearest ATM.

Cheers.

I have to correct you Swissie....... not every village has an internet café...... never been round Kalasin area I take it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

my wife is x bar girl and im not ashamed to admit it! all the people you meet who say my wife worked in a bank or tesco and so on, ok yea you take a big chance when you marry an x bar girl. and the odds are stacked, but the rewards are worth it, my wife is smart ,funny, and lovely and loyal,she did what she had to do for her and her family! there is no s/s in issan! you may think they are hard nosed women some are, but most are decent human beings that are just trying to live, how many of us could go to a strange place at a very young age and put up with all the stuff they have had to? i have the greatest respect for them, and lets not forget we created this market not them!!!! so please lets take a step back and have a bit more compashionwai2.gif

What's with all those middle-aged female bar-empolyees, that started a career some 20 years ago in the "entertainment-business" and haven't managed to hit the "jackpot" by landing a Farang? = The majority ! They present themselves today as overweight, grumpy and disgruntled persons, knowing that they missed the "jackpot".

A rude awakening.

Cheers.

I have to correct you Swissie....... not every village has an internet café...... never been round Kalasin area I take it?

It seems Swissie knows little of village life in Isaan.

To suggest they take a village course to be a seamstress made me laugh.

(Bus to the nearest sweatshop yes)

That he thinks everyone and every village has internet access shows his ignorance. The vast majority do not.

He thinks night school is an option but in reality day school is not always available. He doesn't know anything about the realities of Isaan village life yet takes the time to criticise their inhabitants.

Bet he lives in a town!

His attempt to ridicule my previous post by totally misrepresenting what I said was laughable. I said most village girls cannot cope with being a prostitute and he twisted that to saying Isaan would have no one left to work the fields to feed him.

I know this all way off topic but when I come across rubbish posted in the guise knowledge I struggle not to react.

• Like 2

A rude awakening.

Cheers.

It seems Swissie knows little of village life in Isaan.

To suggest they take a village course to be a seamstress made me laugh.

(Bus to the nearest sweatshop yes)

That he thinks everyone and every village has internet access shows his ignorance. The vast majority do not.

He thinks night school is an option but in reality day school is not always available. He doesn't know anything about the realities of Isaan village life yet takes the time to criticise their inhabitants.

Bet he lives in a town!

His attempt to ridicule my previous post by totally misrepresenting what I said was laughable. I said most village girls cannot cope with being a prostitute and he twisted that to saying Isaan would have no one left to work the fields to feed him.

I know this all way off topic but when I come across rubbish posted in the guise knowledge I struggle not to react.

Not every village has internet access. Fine. But the nearest small town has. Young ladies, going there once a week to buy the things that they can not buy in the village can easily check their Dating-Internet-Website on the same occasion. (And I know quite a few of them that are exactly doing this.)

Farangs, living a life of isolation in their villages and only leave when another Visa-Run is due may well miss the fact that "modernization" has taken hold big time in the Isaan.

No, I don't live in the Isaan, but I still live in the sticks. to travel is my passion, including the Isaan.

Cheers.

Why do people posting about Isaan always post the name of some amphur town in the expectation we would all know where that is? OK we all know where the big regional cities are but otherwise, provinces added at least please people!?

Santisuk

Kantharalak (Sisaket)

PS Don't come here - it's horrible*

*I lie ..... but we've got enough dam_n foreigners already thanks!

Edited by SantiSuk

"We've" = we have. Correct English. Was that what you were asking?smile.png.

If it was a comment on the temerity of my implied assimilation of Thainess then you should know that I simply forgot the smiley - I meant it jokingly. You're welcome to come, really. ["you're" = you are biggrin.png.]

• Like 2

"We've" = we have. Correct English. Was that what you were asking?Posted Image.

If it was a comment on the temerity of my implied assimilation of Thainess then you should know that I simply forgot the smiley - I meant it jokingly. You're welcome to come, really. ["you're" = you are Posted Image.]

My apologies mate. Thought you may have been of of the guys who believes that only himself belongs in Thailand and nobody else (farang) is welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Little village life is great if you have a few farangs to clear your thought and get the right info needed as locals don't want to lose face so the answers are generally don't know just in case their wrong. To hard basket is 90 % of the questions one asks. Search, search and search again, then life will be a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Not every village has internet access. Fine. But the nearest small town has. Young ladies, going there once a week to buy the things that they can not buy in the village can easily check their Dating-Internet-Website on the same occasion. (And I know quite a few of them that are exactly doing this.)

Farangs, living a life of isolation in their villages and only leave when another Visa-Run is due may well miss the fact that "modernization" has taken hold big time in the Isaan.

No, I don't live in the Isaan, but I still live in the sticks. to travel is my passion, including the Isaan.

Cheers.

Now I get it. You are a traveller (tourist) and you know a couple of girls who are members of an internet dating website. For that they have your respect but others do not.

For your information most farangs that live here are not isolated and unaware of what is going on and do not need to go on visa runs.

The modernization you mention is confined to the towns. Rural Isaan is much as it was years ago just a few extra pick ups and tractors around.

Villagers do not visit these towns on a weekly basis.

Will you be taking a wife with you, or looking for one in Isaan ?

Agree with the above advice about taking time to look around. Rent everything until you decide which place suits you best.

Then rent everything.

Yep ditto for this look around and rent first. I live between Chaiyaphum and Khon Kaen. I like Khon Kaen, but wouldn't live there, too many people. The one thing to remember up here is that with the lack of people you can actually get anywhere pretty quickly. I always joke with friends in BKK, I can drive 100km in the time it takes then to drive 1km. You 'may' find that living in a smaller town or village actually works out better if it has easy access to a larger city and facilities. Nowhere (thankfully) has the swarms of farangs like Pattaya, so I'm assuming your not looking for the same 'nightlife' in Pattaya cos thats non existent in Isaan

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Little village life is great if you have a few farangs to clear your thought and get the right info needed as locals don't want to lose face so the answers are generally don't know just in case their wrong. To hard basket is 90 % of the questions one asks. Search, search and search again, then life will be a lot easier.

It comes all to the point from where the farangs come. I have a few farang friends and we meet twice a year for a BBQ but I normally stay away from farangs that just settle down in Isaan with their new found love from Pattaya.

It comes all to the point from where the farangs come. I have a few farang friends and we meet twice a year for a BBQ but I normally stay away from farangs that just settle down in Isaan with their new found love from Pattaya.

Why's that?

Why's that?

Removed my post as it did make fun of this posters response to peoples "new found love from Pattaya". Your comments are not welcome in the Isaan forum.......crawl back to another section to post your wonderful insights.

Edited by rct99q

That's a bit far fetched isn't it?

Let's get this straight, are you saying that you normally stay away from farangs that have just settled in a village with their partner who happened to work in pattaya?

Edit: Just realised it wasn't you that said it.......oops, sorry mate.

Edited by longstebe
  • Like 1

Lucky me met my wife in oz after her worldly travels working. Then I was introduced to Thailand. She sees the big picture of life and taught me a lot, especially appreciating what we have , and wasn't just the $$$. But love my month or two in nth thai each year.

I don't care where anyone has met their spouse from, if you're a sound guy then youre a sound guy if you're an arsehol_e, I will stay away. It has nothing to do where you met your spouse or where your spouse is from.

How can people be so quick to judge, it amazes me at times.

How can people be so quick to judge

Better ask the Thais then, usually one of the first questions asked is, "where did you meet?"

Followed by more personal questions such as, where do you work, whats your position, how much do you earn, how much land do you own, how much do you give your wife every month?

<deleted>, I once listened as some old bag asked the mrs if I hit her, I then asked this old bag does your husband hit you, how much does he give you every month, all said to her in Thai, gave me one of those eating shit smiles and skulked off.

These days I actually speak just like them, I give vague answers, dont reveal personal details and give non commital responses, usually, dont know, dont remember or ask my wife are the only answers they get from me.

it amazes me at times.

It no longer amazes me, I just accept for the most part, these people have nothing better to do all day than sit and gossip, my attitude is, if they are talking about me, at least some other poor sap aint being talked about.

Its all water off a ducks back to me, what pisses them off even more, is when you can undertsand what they say and reply to them in their own language.

With the above in mind, there are plenty of decent people around in the region.

RGS, finally an intelligent reply. So many arrogant , self centred responses. I suppose that's why a lot of farangs here stay away from other farangs as they finally realised that getting bitch slapped in their own country that they should live a solitude life in the sticks here.