moving to Isan

trineax

Just for a point I have nothing against the expats that lived and worked in Pattaya but I do have somethign against those sxx tourists that come from Pattaya with their new found love and the only thing they can talk is about bum bum, being drunk the whole day and showing off how much money they make.

I have entertained them several times in the past and I just don't want to meet those kind of guys. I prefer to hang out with the Thais in my village.

I only met three sex tourists:

1) He got beaten up in a local bar because he had an eye on another girl that had a Thai hubby and he told the hubby to pisx off. He also started several fights with Thai's in my village because he looks done on every one.

2) Second guy we had to send to the hospital because he had to much Yaba in his body and haven't slept for three days.

3) Third guy asked me to borrow money form me because he had to many short times at some Karaoke bars and had to wait for his pension to come through. I gladly declined.

I have absolute nothing against foreigners settling down in the area where I live but I am happy to stay away from those people's until I know them better. Pattaya girls at times bring three to four guys a year to our village. Not everyone is willing to cough up big money so I don't have to meet everyone that comes to the village.

No disrespect to any one here. I have been in Thailand for over 24 years.

For the OP Sakon Nakhon is a great place to settle down.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for a point I have nothing against the expats that lived and worked in Pattaya but I do have somethign against those sxx tourists that come from Pattaya with their new found love and the only thing they can talk is about bum bum, being drunk the whole day and showing off how much money they make.

I have entertained them several times in the past and I just don't want to meet those kind of guys. I prefer to hang out with the Thais in my village.

I only met three sex tourists:

1) He got beaten up in a local bar because he had an eye on another girl that had a Thai hubby and he told the hubby to pisx off. He also started several fights with Thai's in my village because he looks done on every one.

2) Second guy we had to send to the hospital because he had to much Yaba in his body and haven't slept for three days.

3) Third guy asked me to borrow money form me because he had to many short times at some Karaoke bars and had to wait for his pension to come through. I gladly declined.

I have absolute nothing against foreigners settling down in the area where I live but I am happy to stay away from those people's until I know them better. Pattaya girls at times bring three to four guys a year to our village. Not everyone is willing to cough up big money so I don't have to meet everyone that comes to the village.

No disrespect to any one here. I have been in Thailand for over 24 years.

For the OP Sakon Nakhon is a great place to settle down.

Points 1), 2) and 3) could apply to most Thais that I have met in the villages.

I have absolutely no desire to build relationships with local Thais - we have nothing in common.

I have nothing in common with the expats that you describe - I have no desire to develop relationships with them.

At the end of the day we all find our own level - whether that be partners or friends/acquaintances.

• Like 1

I like Nong Khai although I do not live in the city. A few western bars and people but if you live just out side the city it is quiet and peaceful. As someone else stated some people get verrrrryyyy bored here. However if you like to fish, mountain bike, hiking, or most outdoor activities it is a good place. Good transportation, friendly people, and outside of the one poster language is not a problem here. The people may not understand English but they enjoy helping you as much as possible and if they don't know usually their children will. English, some French (laos influence) and German is spoken to some extent.

But take your time and visit a few places Isaan is a HUGE area and means many different things to many people.

Good luck

Agree, Nong Khai is a nice and peaceful city with rich culture! :)

• Like 1

So here I am , I see a thread about where is it good to live in Issan, I think to my self ," this should be interesting,"  I like to know where it would be good to live in Issan.

I know , I should know better, Posted Image call it a momentary lapse in judgement, so I read on................ this is not only true of this thread,

many of These Threads have a tendency To deteriorate in directions other than what the OP had in mind, and I think it is important for the Moderators to quickly bring it back in line. Including my complain about "out of context replies"

let'ch not talk about that, if we need to, then some one could start a new thread, or revive one of the hundreds on the subject

I am sure the OP has by now abandoned this Thread,  all he wanted to know was where it is good to live in Isaan

.  let me first say, that "Good " is a subjective term, subject to what one considers good

.For me Good " is where my wife's family is, I they were in Udon Thani, "good" would had being there, As it is, they are from Khom Kaen, so that's where "good " is for me.

Family is very important with in Thai culture.and it is important to me. If it is important to you, them that should be a first consideration. 

Thai culture is important, but let's face it. we are not Thai. so it would be important to also consider, how much of your culture are you willing to give up at this time, 

Khon Kaen offers me the opportunity nit only , be near my Thai family,

but when I need to, be able to participate in Farang culture, world class shopping, good restaurants, though I have not used it yet, I understand , good hospitals. and easy in and out, via bus or airplane, strategical located for short trips to Laos or BKK and for when I feel my inner Thainess, the rice fields or Dads farm is only a few minutes away

Over all. for me, I would say Khon Kaen is a good place.

[/quote

Siri I feel the same. Family, culture and convenience. For these reasons I am close to Nong Han but without the western shops, Udon Thani is an easy 30 klm from me with easy access. I always remember I am a visitor and respect the local values and fit in quite nicely with the locals. Country life suits my fly in fly out farming practices for now until retirement later in life. Where ever you are, learn who's who in the zoo, respect, shop local, employ locals and a good life will be had. Good luck to all with with happiness and peace.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

How can people be so quick to judge

Better ask the Thais then, usually one of the first questions asked is, "where did you meet?"

Followed by more personal questions such as, where do you work, whats your position, how much do you earn, how much land do you own, how much do you give your wife every month?

<deleted>, I once listened as some old bag asked the mrs if I hit her, I then asked this old bag does your husband hit you, how much does he give you every month, all said to her in Thai, gave me one of those eating shit smiles and skulked off.

These days I actually speak just like them, I give vague answers, dont reveal personal details and give non commital responses, usually, dont know, dont remember or ask my wife are the only answers they get from me.

Actually it occurs to me that I have never been asked in 5 years by a Thai (and never by a farang in Thailand) where we met. I can understand the latter (anti-embarrassment code) but re Thais - perhaps they ask my wife! I guess when you live in an Isaan village, everyone within 20 clicks knows the answers to all personal questions before your plane even touches down at your regional airporttongue.png

That doesn't of course mean you are wrong rgs - you didn't specify who was asked. I get the impression that MILs (through the OBN* are the biggest purveyors of info in Isaan)

(OBN; old bag networksmile.png - more effective than facebook and twitter combined)

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ignoring the who's married to a prostitute section of this thread and getting back to what the original poster was talking about , I think a lot of it depends on your age , there comes a time in many peoples life when the bright lights of the city loose their attraction, a young active man may well get bored stiff in Isan but a man in the twilight section of his life might be at home there.

Ignoring the who's married to a prostitute section of this thread and getting back to what the original poster was talking about , I think a lot of it depends on your age , there comes a time in many peoples life when the bright lights of the city loose their attraction, a young active man may well get bored stiff in Isan but a man in the twilight section of his life might be at home there.

I agree but those "twilight years" often involve medical needs too. I wonder how many fully settled Isaan farangs want to be treated the same way medically as a Thai old "un ????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree but those "twilight years" often involve medical needs too. I wonder how many fully settled Isaan farangs want to be treated the same way medically as a Thai old "un ????

Having visiting many people in the local 'hospital', I always tell the wife, unless I'm in jeopardy of departing this mortal coil within the next 30mins never, ever ever let them take me there. I'm sure I can apply a tourniquet to my severed leg allowing me to get to the nearest Ram Hospital!

• Like 1

Having visiting many people in the local 'hospital', I always tell the wife, unless I'm in jeopardy of departing this mortal coil within the next 30mins never, ever ever let them take me there. I'm sure I can apply a tourniquet to my severed leg allowing me to get to the nearest Ram Hospital!

No Ram Hospitals in all of Issan. Need to pick another veterinary.

• Like 1

....I was just about to post a 'sensible' reply, then I got the joke LOL

Having to get dialysis in mid future was one reason to first look for suitable Hospitals (more than one if you are not completely fine with the first selection) within 30 minutes driving distance (x2 per stay, x3 per week).

So even when separating from my exGF I stayed in Udon Thani, still Amphoe Mueang but as far out that my next neighbor is like 100 m away.

May be I move to Nong Khai some day as I like water and they also have a Wattana Hospital which in Udon is my first choice...

My factors staying in Udon apart of the hospitals are:

- airport, so fast to reach

- sufficient shopping possibilities to be able to source farang-XL sized clothes and some special food from time to time

- not too touristic so your face gets well known after some time (as all farang look same same)

- all needed offices like immigration, transportation office etc.

- some farang of same nationality and level of mind to have a talk or exchange books

Bye,

Derk

5555 haaa funny , just got it too

To mai chun kwai?laugh.png

Edited by sirineou

Khon Kaen Ram might count and also they are opening a Bangkok hospital this month

Will you be taking a wife with you, or looking for one in Isaan ?

Agree with the above advice about taking time to look around. Rent everything until you decide which place suits you best.

Then rent everything.

Im looking for one.

Is it true that in Udon Thani A LOT of farangs?

What is the reason for you for having a Thai wife? I live alone in Maha Sarakham and I could not think of a better life. The clue is to learn the language and to understand Thai culture.

• Like 1

i live in chewuick 1 hour from korat its nice but im bored sensless, do you have a thai partner? do you speak thai? if not you will have communiation problems, and acting out what you want mostly wont work, becouse they are just not used to farangs, i was in the shop the other day without my wife and wanted some eggs forgot thai for egg, so did a buk buk buk sound elbows up and down then took an egg from my rear end ,now anywere elese in the world you would have been given an egg, i got a scrubbing brush!!! cheesy.gif

copied your story to my GF who loved it and knew straight away that you were miming going to the toilet and you needed a brush to clean the toilet. the thai mind.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite city is Kalasin, it is quiet, little traffic, has just about everything you need and what it doesn't have Khon Kaen does and is only an hour away. If you are a younger guy there are three good clubs in town. If you like karaoke, there are a few of those also. There is also a farang bar. And everything is within ten minutes from everything else.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

You can make a good living around Isan prov.But if you want to se Khon Kaen ore other city.Go around and se where you like to stay I like Surin but thats my wife come from.And there is a god life some good restuarang fore farang when you want to get some food if you not make yourself in your home.North is great

My favourite city is Kalasin, it is quiet, little traffic, has just about everything you need and what it doesn't have Khon Kaen does and is only an hour away. If you are a younger guy there are three good clubs in town. If you like karaoke, there are a few of those also. There is also a farang bar. And everything is within ten minutes from everything else.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Must try it sometime. Been to Roi Et a few times and that seems a nice place to live with a good variety of Thai/Farang bars/restaurants

Will you be taking a wife with you, or looking for one in Isaan ?

Agree with the above advice about taking time to look around. Rent everything until you decide which place suits you best.

Then rent everything.

Im looking for one.

Is it true that in Udon Thani A LOT of farangs?

What is the reason for you for having a Thai wife? I live alone in Maha Sarakham and I could not think of a better life. The clue is to learn the language and to understand Thai culture.

What is the reason for you for having a Thai wife?

Are you serious ????????

I could live on my own in my own country - in fact if I didn't have a Thai wife that is what I would be doing.

The clue is to learn the language and to understand Thai culture. - with respect that is a crock of sh!t. I have no desire to be Thai or be part of their culture and I certainly don't want Thai friends any more than they want Falang friends. I respect their culture, and their country, but at the end of the day I am a westerner living here as a so-called guest.

• Like 1

I have spent much time in Mahasarakam I have a house for sale if interested!

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have heard that many people have a house for sale in Mahasarakam.

Maybe just a coincidence thumbsup.gif