Bank letter for TM7 one year extension

Hi,A question about TM7 and bank letter showing 800,000 baht seasoned for 2 months..

I am intending to apply for a 1 year extension of stay in the new year and was wondering if I should inform my bank that I have changed adress?Does the letter from the bank in support of my application show my old address which would not match my new address,and would that be important?

I suspect I am worrying about nothing but I would rather be 100% sure before I begin..thanx

Letter provided to me by Bangkok Bank does not contain my address. It identifies me by my current passport number ie 'Mr Thaidown holder of passport no. xxx'.

But as lopburi3 says your bank details should corrected. Showing an address and passport number different to their records when they ask you to verify your identity might cause a problem in the future.

Edited by ThaidDown

Believe that is vital as part of your ID on passbook (under black light) - so if had changed without notice you would not be able to withdraw funds using old passbook until resolved. Passport number is your ID number in Thailand and very important - and most banks do not understand that it can change so expect them to make a million copies each time.

• Like 1

I have only seen others report that - have not checked myself - perhaps they were caught out by computer having the passport number when bank checked rather than the passbook itself. But in any event passport number is a huge issue every time I have to change at my branch here in Bangkok (who should know more than most about foreigners as has a foreign exchange).

I got a new passport in July and haven't done it yet. At first I was waiting until I got my new extension stamp last month but now procrastinating. Have been using it though at bank without a problem. Primary book is full so will do this week.

Thanx everyone,just back from Kasikorn,very helpful,new address and new passport reported.Just waiting to transfer 800k from England.If my application is successful is it ok to move the money into a higher interest paying account straight away or is it advisable to wait?I have a current account paying about 0.75% now.

You are talking after you obtain the extension of stay early in the year and yes it would be fine to change the account or even to use the money. But remember it must be in an account 3 months prior to application next time (which may be up to 30-45 days before the one year extension). If you intend to keep it in an account for extensions/emergency use of a long term FD cash account is normally fully acceptable to immigration but you can confirm that when you make your current extension.

You are talking after you obtain the extension of stay early in the year and yes it would be fine to change the account or even to use the money. But remember it must be in an account 3 months prior to application next time (which may be up to 30-45 days before the one year extension). If you intend to keep it in an account for extensions/emergency use of a long term FD cash account is normally fully acceptable to immigration but you can confirm that when you make your current extension.

Good,I will most likely keep the 800k seperate from my spending money,and it would be nice to get some return on it,thanx for your advice

My Bangkok bank books do not have passport number on them under black light only my signature.

All of my Bangkok Bank passbooks sure have my passport number and signature under the black light. In fact, earlier this year when getting a new passport it initially caused me some internet banking problems in being able to add a new account online (an account I opened under the new passport number) until I got the passport number issue resolve by my new passport number being the same on all my passbooks, which required issued of new passbooks with the new passport number (no charge/fees for this). By having two different passport numbers on different books it was causing a conflict between my primarily bank account and the other accounts which were considered secondary accounts for internet banking purposes.

Since I rarely do any counter transactions anymore, like withdrawals, I hadn't run into any problem other than the internet banking problem, but I expect I would have had problems just as soon as I tried to do a counter withdrawal with a passbook which showed the old passport number but I was handing the counter clerk the new passport with new number for verification....the two numbers would not match and mostly likely cause problems. When getting the passbook updated to the new passport number one bank rep told me if hadn't got the passbook updated I would have had to show my old passport when doing withdrawals and hope the bank clerk didn't reject the withdrawal request because the old passport was stamped cancelled with holes punched in it.

Not getting your current passport number onto your passbook/loaded into the bank's system will cause issues at some point....and like normal, it will occur at the worst possible time.

Thanx everyone,just back from Kasikorn,very helpful,new address and new passport reported.Just waiting to transfer 800k from England.If my application is successful is it ok to move the money into a higher interest paying account straight away or is it advisable to wait?I have a current account paying about 0.75% now.

Your 0.75% pa pays you THB6000 pa, or THB500 per month. As long as your interest is below the level that attracts withholding tax (THB20K ? pa) you are OK, otherwise 15% withholding tax. But although paltry, more (interest income) is better than less.

My Bangkok bank books do not have passport number on them under black light only my signature.

All of my Bangkok Bank passbooks sure have my passport number and signature under the black light. In fact, earlier this year when getting a new passport it initially caused me some internet banking problems in being able to add a new account online (an account I opened under the new passport number) until I got the passport number issue resolve by my new passport number being the same on all my passbooks, which required issued of new passbooks with the new passport number (no charge/fees for this). By having two different passport numbers on different books it was causing a conflict between my primarily bank account and the other accounts which were considered secondary accounts for internet banking purposes.

Since I rarely do any counter transactions anymore, like withdrawals, I hadn't run into any problem other than the internet banking problem, but I expect I would have had problems just as soon as I tried to do a counter withdrawal with a passbook which showed the old passport number but I was handing the counter clerk the new passport with new number for verification....the two numbers would not match and mostly likely cause problems. When getting the passbook updated to the new passport number one bank rep told me if hadn't got the passbook updated I would have had to show my old passport when doing withdrawals and hope the bank clerk didn't reject the withdrawal request because the old passport was stamped cancelled with holes punched in it.

Not getting your current passport number onto your passbook/loaded into the bank's system will cause issues at some point....and like normal, it will occur at the worst possible time.

I have 3 bank books and looked at them while under the light and it is only my signature there.

I have to go to the bank once a month to transfer funds from the special account I have for direct deposits to my primary account and have had no problem yet with new passport. I did have old one handy the first time but didn't need it.

As I said before I was waiting until had my new extension stamp to go to the branch where I have my accounts. I am going to take care of it this week.

I used my bank book multiple times without notifying the bank of change of address. I also got the bank letter for immigration during this time. I told them I'd moved but not updated with bank yet and it wasn't a problem. Of course, it's best to keep it up to date, which I have now. Passport doesn't show address, so I don't understand remark about addresses not matching at the bank.

I used my bank book multiple times without notifying the bank of change of address. I also got the bank letter for immigration during this time. I told them I'd moved but not updated with bank yet and it wasn't a problem. Of course, it's best to keep it up to date, which I have now. Passport doesn't show address, so I don't understand remark about addresses not matching at the bank.

I haven't done this before,I thought maybe it would be a problem if my address on my TM7 didn't match with my bank letter if they put my old address on it.

I haven't done this before,I thought maybe it would be a problem if my address on my TM7 didn't match with my bank letter if they put my old address on it.

The bank letter includes your address? I asked SCB to give me "some sort" of letter with my address on and the boss B says "how could we verify that?"

geez, I have only had the same damn address for 3 years.......

The bank letter I got didn't have my address on it. Also, the bank didn't ask for proof of address when I changed it. The point of the letter is to show you have the money not to prove your address.

But to avoid any confusion, why not just update your address with the bank. It seems like the obvious solution.

1. Change address.

2. Ask for letter - then address will match.

I think you're trying to create a problem for yourself. Just change your address at the bank.

Edited by davejones

The bank letter I got didn't have my address on it. Also, the bank didn't ask for proof of address when I changed it. The point of the letter is to show you have the money not to prove your address.

But to avoid any confusion, why not just update your address with the bank. It seems like the obvious solution.

1. Change address.

I think you're trying to create a problem for yourself. Just change your address at the bank.

Can I refer you to my earlier post,about 7 hours ago,stating I have done exactly that,and thanking forum posters for their help.?

1. Change address.

Can I refer you to my earlier post,about 7 hours ago,stating I have done exactly that,and thanking forum posters for their help.?

I missed that. Apologies.

I recently purchased a condo and moved into it from rented accommodation; also obtained a 'yellow book'. I went to Bangkok Bank and changed my address and they took copies of the 'yellow book' and my new passport, but did not change the various passbooks I hold.

• 9 months later...

Is a passbook (without letter) enough to prove that the money has been seasoned for an extension of stay? Or is a letter from the bank also needed, and why? Have passbook entries been faked in the past?

Can the passbook update (and letter) be done within the week before applying? Same day would be difficult if there is no bank branch at the immigration office.

None of the questions above have been answered in the police order (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf) nor on Thai Visa's own information page (http://www.thaivisa.com/non-imm-o-marriage.html), so it makes it difficult to know exactly which documents are required.

Thai Visa should update their own information page so that it lists exactly what is required.