Advice searching for a golf job

Buckeye21

Im really hoping someone can offer some advice or help on finding a golf job in Thailand. Last year I lived and worked in Phuket and worked for a small golf apparel and event company. The owner worked in the oil and gas industry but was transferred to the middle east and basically closed down the business. I would really love to find a position at a golf course but Im open to any golf position that may be available. Ive spent hours searching online and sending my resume to courses and businesses but haven't had any luck so far.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or help. I did enjoy living in Phuket and had a place in Kathu but Im open to other parts of the country.

Thank you for your help

What is your qualification? Do you play off scratch and been accredited for this?

If not, then your options are limited. You may however find a job through sales/marketing similiar to what the hotels do with selling timeshare. Must have a uni degree for that though.

More info would help with your query?

What is your qualification? Do you play off scratch and been accredited for this?

If not, then your options are limited. You may however find a job through sales/marketing similiar to what the hotels do with selling timeshare. Must have a uni degree for that though.

Thanks for the reply Bikkii.

I graduated from College here in Canada with Professional Golf Management degree. The course covered all aspects of running a golf course and was a 3 year program. After college I worked at a number of different courses in the pro shop and was planning on going for my CPGA card but had a bad motorcycle accident that summer and didn't get back to the golf course for over a year. I accepted a job working onboard cruise ships running the golf program. I worked on 4 different ships over 3 years and when I decided I was finished and returned home I went for my CGTF certificate which is similar to the CPGA card but aimed more at golfers that want to focus on instructing.

The golf is only seasonal where Im from in Canada so I decided to get a sales job and did that for nearly 5 years. I took a vacation to Phuket and while I was there I was offered a job running a bar on Bangla Rd with a full work permit and good salary. After 6 months in Phuket I was offered a job by my neighbour helping to run his golf apparel/event company. He worked in the Oil and Gas industry and was usually away from Phuket so he brought me on to manage the day to day operations. After 6 months he was transferred to the middles east and was not going to put much money or effort into the business so when my 1yr visa expired I decided to return home. I have some expat friends working at the golf courses in Phuket and I checked with them before I left but there were no positions available at the time.

I accepted a sales job when I got back to Canada but was laid off in the summer after a year with the company. I've realized since coming home again that I really don't want to be here. I have looked for golf positions in other areas in S.E Asia as well but haven't had any luck. I actually did like living in Phuket, I rarely went into Patong and found a home to rent in one of the quieter area's but I would be open to a position almost anywhere in Thailand.

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again for the reply

Edited by Buckeye21

Thanks for all the details. It can be all about luck and right time and place in Thailand. Maybe your chances would be much better if you come for a few months (holiday/visa runs) and ask around in person.

If all else fails, try China. I have a mate working there now as a golf pro. Heaps of courses, middle class with cash and they were looking for expats to serve the tourist needs.

Thanks Bikkii. I figure there is a lot of luck involved. Most of the courses in Phuket didnt have more than 1 foreigner working there. Ill keep contacting the golf courses and searching. Coming back there for a 6-8 weeks may be a good idea if I can swing it. I've even registered with some websites that recruit golf professionals globally but my hopes are not too high. Ill have a look at China and see if there are any options there.

Thanks again for the advice.

Also worth getting yourself involved in as many of the expat golf societies as possible. The are many of them dotted all over Thailand and they are great for networking. I remember from my time working in Bangkok there were several golfing opportunities around. As already mentioned it's all about 'right place and right time', but the wider your network the greater the chance of something turning up.

You don't have to be a scratch golfer to teach golf,the pro at my club plays off 6 and he is one of the best teachers in the area.

My advice would be plan ahead a little bit and perhaps choose one of the many careers available within many of the professional golf associations. PGA offers a number of educations including administration and club management.

This is an often overlooked opportunity that could give you not only a job in Thailand but offer you an opportunity to work with golf all over the world, not just Thailand.

http://www.pga.info/about-us/education-and-career-development.aspx

May I for undisclosed reasons recommend PGA Club management at this Uni...

http://pgm.unl.edu/

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...