Puff Pastry

Makro.

I used to make it myself back in England, tried it here, just didn't work, wrong climate, unless your air-con includes the kitchen.

Yes, need cool conditions for pastry making. Try popping it in the freezer for a few minutes when it becomes too sticky. Also rough puff pastry is a good alternative as it takes less time and work so not necessary to put in the freezer as often as when preparing full puff pastry. I have my kitchen air conditioned. Our bedroom unit failed in the hight of summer and the part required had to come from Japan. I bought a new unit fitted that same day and the other unit took 16 days to fix waiting for the part. When it was repaired we had a spare unit as all other rooms have air con. So I thought best to use it and had it installed in the kitchen. Really ideal for any prep work. However homemade puff pastry is really a lot of work and the bought version is in my opinion superior, always perfect. I now buy from Villa Market, made by SANGCHAI PIE AND PASTRY, 110 Baht for 500 gram. phone numbers 029840727 0851133886, maybe they can advise of local stockists. I use for Beef Wellington, Beef and Chicken Pies, Salmon en croute etc and Apple/Fruit pies. An excellent product.Villa had some blocks of imported Just Rol and I compared and no difference, but Sangchai was obviously much cheaper.

• Like 1

Should have added it is a frozen product, I usually buy a dozen blocks when we visit Pattaya. I found an old one in my chest freezer, 18 months old, and made salmon en croute last weekend when a friend came to stay. Still perfect so don't worry about the use by date.

The locally produced puff pastry that I've seen here is not made with butter, but with some godawful chemical concoction. I stick to imported varieties for reasons of health and taste, despite the higher cost.

• 3 weeks later...

Makro.

I used to make it myself back in England, tried it here, just didn't work, wrong climate, unless your air-con includes the kitchen.

I'm with Thaddeus on this one. You can make it here yourself. I have aircon in kitchen and it took me a few attempts to recognize the connection between the success' and the failures and the status of aircon in the kitchen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never heard of puff pasty before I came to Thailand. What do you do with it - make pie crusts?

Not sure where you're from, but for any westerner you know it as the pastry that on the top of any meat pie, you might refer to it as 'flaky pastry'. Pain in the ass to make, involves layering butter inside dough, but if you master it, better than any of the God Awful pies you will buy locally

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Okay I believe those are what we call pot pies in the states. I don't think they're very popular as I've never heard of anyone trying to make one from scratch and I've only ever seen them in the freezer at the supermarket.

I guess I'd rather use it to make a salami roll or some hot flakey biscuits. I'll pick up a package next time and play around with it.

Okay I believe those are what we call pot pies in the states. I don't think they're very popular as I've never heard of anyone trying to make one from scratch and I've only ever seen them in the freezer at the supermarket.

I guess I'd rather use it to make a salami roll or some hot flakey biscuits. I'll pick up a package next time and play around with it.

In the US it is rarely used in pies of any sort (savory or sweet) but is rather common in desserts such as Naploeans (mille-feuille) as well as some savory dishes such as when it is used to top French onion soup in lieu of a crouton. Making the stuff from scratch is masochistic in places like the US where good quality frozen puff pastry is so readily available.

• Like 1

Makro.

This week could be a good time to try again.

Even red wine (at current room temperatures) is drinkable!

• Confused 1

We are talking about the flakey pastery for turnovers, cream horns and such. Here they make meat turnovers instead of fruit. I miss my apple and blueberry turnovers fresh from bakeries!

• Like 1

Backwood is right. It doesn't resemble pie crust but is very flaky and soft. I made tons of it when I worked in a bakery as a kid.

It is a special sweet dough that is kinda sticky and needs to be cool. The butter/margarine doesn't have to be cool..

You roll the dough out into a rectangle about 1/8" thick and flour is needed to keep it from sticking. Then you butter 1/3 of it. Then you turn the buttered part onto unbuttered dough, and butter the top of that. Then you turn what's left onto the second buttered surface. Now you have 3 layers of dough separated by 2 layers of butter.

Now you roll that out to the original size rectangle and repeat. Then you roll that out to the original sized rectangle and repeat again. Now you have several layers of dough separated by several layers of butter.

If at any time it gets too warm to handle, you put it into the refrigerator for a while to stiffen it.

Once you have it made, you roll it out to the original rectangle size and shape and cut it for use. Cutting it into squares wastes less, and you can put fruit or meat filling on 1/2 of the square and fold the other 1/2 over and have a triangle. You use a little egg wash (beaten egg) to stick the edges together and you bake it. It will rise due to the layers and become incredibly flaky. If the filling is fruit you might want to put some egg wash on top and add some powdered sugar before you bake it. If it is meat you might use egg wash and some salt, or some spices.

Let's party!!!

Makro.

I'm with Thaddeus on this one. You can make it here yourself. I have aircon in kitchen and it took me a few attempts to recognize the connection between the success' and the failures and the status of aircon in the kitchen

Another tip is to get yourself a marble cutting board, chill it in the freezer and then work your dough on it.

• Thanks 1

Makro.

Another tip is to get yourself a marble cutting board, chill it in the freezer and then work your dough on it.

Hmmm, never thought about that, but it makes sense. It's a pain in the ass to work the dough and the butter keeping it all cold. Thanks for the tip

• 5 years later...